Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Augus posted:

What are some strong early hardmode weapons I could use to go against Queen Slime and the Mechanical Bosses? I tried beating Queen Slime using the Hel-Fire and the DPS was very good but I got quickly shredded by her attacks because of the limited range

if you're into yoyos you can farm up an amarok from frost biome enemies but if you're worried about range I'd suggest getting an onyx blaster and some crystal bullets, in my current playthrough that carried me through plantera. Do get an endless musket ball bag or whatever it's called when fighting normal stuff though, crystal bullets are for bosses unless you really like farming crystals for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Augus posted:

What are some strong early hardmode weapons I could use to go against Queen Slime and the Mechanical Bosses? I tried beating Queen Slime using the Hel-Fire and the DPS was very good but I got quickly shredded by her attacks because of the limited range

The Dao of Pow is quite easy to make, although you'll probably need to make a hallow/corruption desert for the parts, and absolutely shreds the Destroyer at least. Once you've killed the first mechanical boss you can get a Yelets yoyo from the underground jungle which I found worked well against the other mechanical bosses and queen slime. You basically need a yoyo bag for the yoyos to be really good though, fortunately it's not that hard to get one.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not sure how the Queen slime moves, but I recently found that the King slime cannot move quickly at all in water, and is pretty helpless once it gets stuck in the giant fishing aquarium we made a few feet above ground level. Just use your wings to out-maneuver it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

queen slime herself isn’t super hard to dodge, the problem is that she has a tendency to overwhelm you with projectiles

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Augus posted:

Having a Town in the Underground Hallow near the bottom of the world is so sick.
Find myself getting bored of the Vanilla Terraria soundtrack again. Too bad all of the Wavebanks people made for 1.3 don't work anymore and I don't have the patience to make one myself. Mining with Undertale music in the background was very relaxing.

Onyx Blaster is super easy to make and is good all the way through Golem. Might not be great against The Destroyer specifically, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's actually pretty decent against the Destroyer, because unlike the Eater of Worlds, it doesn't break apart when you kill a segment. It's treated as a single object, so every hit does full damage to the whole. It's better against it than against the rest of the mechanical bosses, even, because the Destroyer is such a huge target that no amount of spread could possibly make you miss it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So I'm actually doing a new character and full playthrough of the game for the first time since I got it back around 1.2 (used to just focus on building) and I'm focusing more on ranged this time instead of magic. The tactical shotgun with chlorophyte bullets is just hilariously unfair to everything else, holy poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ended up using the Daedelus to melt the Destroyer than grabbing the Megashark to take out Queen, Twins, and Prime.
After that I finally got Mr. Skeltal to spawn and got a Yoyo Bag and used the Yelets to melt Plantera and Golem.
Now I've got the Beatle Armor, Possessed Hatchet, Terra Blade, Influx Weaver, and Eye of Cthlhu Yo-Yo and I'm living the melee class dream.

So I guess what I've still got left to do is
-Blood Moon Fishing
-Pirate Invasion (I remember always getting this like 10 minutes into hardmode and getting absolutely destroyed by it but this time I somehow haven't had a single one pop up)
-Surface Mushroom Biome and Truffle NPC and maybe mushroom pylon if I can decide on where to put the drat thing.
-Dungeon-Diving for Ectoplasm and Master Ninja Gear
-Pumpkin Moon
-Frost Moon
-Frost Legion? (:shrug:)
-Duke Fishron
-Empress of Light
-Cultists and Lunar Events

Is Empress generally considered harder than Duke?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
daytime empress will kill you in one hit but she drops the terraprisma which is an amazing summon

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Augus posted:

-Surface Mushroom Biome and Truffle NPC and maybe mushroom pylon if I can decide on where to put the drat thing.

I used my mushroom biome to fill a gap in my pylon coverage. Like thanks to worldgen, my only decent desert was close to spawn, and my jungle was huge. Snow and Ocean pylons covered the left side of the map well, but from spawn if you head right you'd immediately hit desert, a decent stretch to the jungle, and then nothing until the other ocean. So I built my mushroom biome close to the right-side ocean. It's still a bit of a hike between it and the jungle, but the only time I need to be in the jungle for long is during the Pillars, and you can't use pylons then anyway.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ur in my world now posted:

daytime empress will kill you in one hit but she drops the terraprisma which is an amazing summon

Also it's cool as gently caress.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Terraprisma is awesome and well worth getting.

You could also work towards making Zenith which is a hilariously dumb weapon that absolutely trivialises anything with the amount of damage it puts out. I used it to kill Empress of Light for Terraprisma and I think she got off two attacks before falling over dead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dareon posted:

I used my mushroom biome to fill a gap in my pylon coverage. Like thanks to worldgen, my only decent desert was close to spawn, and my jungle was huge. Snow and Ocean pylons covered the left side of the map well, but from spawn if you head right you'd immediately hit desert, a decent stretch to the jungle, and then nothing until the other ocean. So I built my mushroom biome close to the right-side ocean. It's still a bit of a hike between it and the jungle, but the only time I need to be in the jungle for long is during the Pillars, and you can't use pylons then anyway.

I built a little surface shroom biome inside the upper areas of the dungeon that earlier pickaxes work just fine on, so I could just pylon directly into it on demand. Also because I couldn't think of anywhere better to put it :downs:

I probably would have put it by an ocean if I didn't get the conch that teleports you to beaches. No regrets about the cave pylon being right above hell, considering how often the Hell Conch warps me into an enclosed pocket of obsidian over lava I had placed to avoid accidental voodoo doll accidents.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grashnak posted:

Terraprisma is awesome and well worth getting.

You could also work towards making Zenith which is a hilariously dumb weapon that absolutely trivialises anything with the amount of damage it puts out. I used it to kill Empress of Light for Terraprisma and I think she got off two attacks before falling over dead.

Yeah the wiki has a gif showing it hitting 50,000 dps which is lol

Section Z posted:

I built a little surface shroom biome inside the upper areas of the dungeon that earlier pickaxes work just fine on, so I could just pylon directly into it on demand. Also because I couldn't think of anywhere better to put it :downs:

I probably would have put it by an ocean if I didn't get the conch that teleports you to beaches. No regrets about the cave pylon being right above hell, considering how often the Hell Conch warps me into an enclosed pocket of obsidian over lava I had placed to avoid accidental voodoo doll accidents.

I used the mushroom and cavern ones to fill in gaps across the map, and then turned the ocean that didn't already get a pylon into a hallow biome for that pylon. The cavern one also connects to the dungeon near the surface.

I'm working on a two-way HOIK system from the surface to the floating islands and another to the underworld.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Couldn't find anything about this in the thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.

What in all the holy hell is wrong with the angler quest system?

I'm just missing the pocket guide and have multiples of every single other item he gives you, why can't I get it?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He won't give you a duplicate of an item that's either in your inventory, piggy bank, safe, or I think void vault. Keep the others on you when you're doing fishing and you won't get the dupes. That might only be for the Cell Phone components though, I forget.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah it’s only for the cell phone components

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

That is loving terrible. Why would they make it like this?

I have been trying to avoid spoilers until now but looking up what the cell phone actually does, this isn't worth waiting for at all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the fishing reward system is regularly regarded as one of the bad parts of an otherwise excellent game. i dunno why it is the way it is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The cell phone is definitely less relevant in the era of the void vault.

Even so, it's a big crafting project to aim for. Like the ankh shield - the immunities it grants are pretty situational but it's fun to collect the stuff. The Terraspark Boots are a good new one, too, and that is legit pretty useful as an accessory.

That aside, random drop rates have always been Terraria's main flaw in my eyes. Journey Mode helps a bit, but random drops are the one part of the grind research mostly can't help with. I'm not sure which is worse between boss items and rare enemy drops, but both can be a huge pain if you're going for a specific one.

It's kind of odd, because Terraria also implements good alternatives to random drops elsewhere. For example, the mechanical bosses don't have random drops, they have their specific soul drops that you then craft into equipment. So if you want, say, the Optic Staff, you don't have to kill the Twins repeatedly until it randomly drops it out of the four or so items it might have shared a pool with; you just kill it until you have enough Souls of Sight to craft it yourself. Grinding up to a predictable end point is a lot more satisfying than grinding in the hopes that the dice will roll the way you want, even if you end up doing the same amount of grinding.

Similarly the Angler would be improved considerably if he gave you a currency to spend in his own store, rather than random gifts - like the Barkeep does.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I haven't played this game for years (before wall of flesh was a thing), so pretty much all this stuff is new to me.
It has been really awesome to come back and see the impressively large amount of stuff they have added since then, which is why this is just super dissapointing.

I don't mind random drops from enemies or whatever since that is just a videogame thing anyways, but from what I have seen so far I feel like the game is perfectly fine
with just throwing items at you that negates whatever annoyances you stumble upon. Lava? No problem, take this crazy lava-shark. Can't reach that thing up there? take this hook or these flying boots or this flute or...

It's just mind-boggling to me that this system has been made this way and not been been improved. The solution seems incredibly simple.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This is the improved version. It used to be less likely, I think there wasn't that "if it's in your inventory you won't get a dupe" thing, and now the more quests you do there's a higher chance of getting usable things instead of just money and bait.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've long wished that Terraria had a system where the percentage chance for an enemy to drop a particular item would slightly increase for every kill where that enemy failed to drop said item. Whenever the item finally drops, the percentage chance would reset, to avoid creating unnecessary duplicates.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the angler had a shop where he'd sell the items he rewards you with, it'd be a lot better. Stuff could still be gated behind specific amount of quests and whether or not the world is in hardmode, but there would also be a less frustratingly random way to get the items.

Also, he'd be more useful now that there's the pylon system. Just checked, he has 39 unique reward items (not counting potions, which the player can craft on his own) so that and a pylon fits in a shop's limit of 40 items.

Baron von Eevl posted:

He won't give you a duplicate of an item that's either in your inventory, piggy bank, safe, or I think void vault. Keep the others on you when you're doing fishing and you won't get the dupes. That might only be for the Cell Phone components though, I forget.

Piggy bank, safe, defender forge, and void vault are all part of the player's extended inventory; they're all checked for dupes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One thing I wish this game had done at some point but never did would be to just plain give you a bigger inventory. One extra row and one extra column, it doesn't seem like it would be that much to ask, really. There's so much stuff you need to carry with you on a regular basis that the incredibly limited amount of space you have to do it with has always been one of my biggest gripes with the game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cardiovorax posted:

One thing I wish this game had done at some point but never did would be to just plain give you a bigger inventory. One extra row and one extra column, it doesn't seem like it would be that much to ask, really. There's so much stuff you need to carry with you on a regular basis that the incredibly limited amount of space you have to do it with has always been one of my biggest gripes with the game.

Piggy bank (plus a table to put it on), safe, defender's forge, and void bag.

You have five full pages of inventory as soon as you beat Skeletron.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Only item I will complain about in Terraria is the Lava Charm. 2.5% chance from gold chests in the cavern layer or 2.5% chance from lava crates. So much farming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

I know that, but those are all separate from the main inventory you can access at all times. Constantly having to shove things into off-bags when they could've just made your main invetory bigger always seemed so weird and pointless to me. I'm guessing at this point that it's some kind of design restriction they can't easily get around anymore.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So, uh, I've been playing for several days now and just now looked at my recycle bin.

:stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cardiovorax posted:

One thing I wish this game had done at some point but never did would be to just plain give you a bigger inventory.

They actually did, if you go back to 1.1 or earlier. You used to have 40 slots hotbar included.

Also you used not to have dedicated equipment slots. If you wanted to use a hook, it had to be in your main inventory.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

True enough. It just still never quite seems like enough. There is just so much crap this game dumps on you on a regular basis. It's why I'm glad modded games just let you have more inventory pages, even if it's not quite the same thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cat Mattress posted:

They actually did, if you go back to 1.1 or earlier. You used to have 40 slots hotbar included.

Also you used not to have dedicated equipment slots. If you wanted to use a hook, it had to be in your main inventory.

Info items had to also be equipped, didn't they?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Info items had to also be equipped, didn't they?
I believe so, yes. That they would function just by carrying them came at some point after 1.2, but don't quote me on that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Do pyramids even still exist. I've made several worlds now and seen no indication of any.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This is it! Thank you,

Flimf posted:

Lava? No problem, take this crazy lava-shark.

I got some rose and a skull thingy, but ain't never seen no lava shark!? Where'd you get that?

BisbyWorl posted:

Still isn't enough lol, the sizes of those inventories and chests could be massively expanded. I've got probably at least one+ full inventory worth of stuff I like to keep handy at all times.

Supremezero posted:

Do pyramids even still exist. I've made several worlds now and seen no indication of any.
They seem somewhat rare to me, I only found one by using the "cleopatra" seed. I wanted to blow it up for the easy sandstone bricks and also sand. I've now replenished my beach area that was double whammied with corruption and a meteor.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Khanstant posted:

I got some rose and a skull thingy, but ain't never seen no lava shark!? Where'd you get that?

Fish for crates in lava. If you find something called "superheated blood", it's your mount summon for the lava shark.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

the fishing reward system is regularly regarded as one of the bad parts of an otherwise excellent game. i dunno why it is the way it is.

It's because fishing minigames themselves are some kind of horrible mind plague that forces people with the desire to put a fishing minigame in a video game to make them as absolutely miserable of an experience as possible.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Supremezero posted:

Thank you! Someone finally said it

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Supremezero posted:

I've had pyramids in the last couple worlds I made. Got a flying carpet and a sandstorm in a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pyramids definitely still spawn, but they're still only like one in five worlds or something.

That's another weird oddity of Terraria. You've got this one distinctive world feature, that exists solely to dispense one of three items (two of which are practical and one of those is needed for a special accessory) that is unlikely to appear in your world.

Pyramids would improve a lot of their loot table was merged into the underground desert one, and the pyramid just contained a free desert chest and the banners. It would still be kind of special to find one, since it looks cool, gives you free access to potentially useful loot, and has an easy passage to fairly deep underground, but you're then not actually missing out on anything if your world doesn't spawn one.