Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brother Entropy posted:

so you're saying we now we have proof that tlou2 is offensive enough to be probatable on the SA forums

It’s a decent scene if a bit ham handed to be honest. The modeling for the environment is friggin fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I like this thread because a lot of the ideas in the game seem comedically misguided and I would like to have space to laugh at how awkward and poorly considered a big budget video game sex scene (inherently) is without people being misogynistic or transphobic about it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/CodexEntry/status/1274140162893594624?s=20

God dammit

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Well drat

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dewgy posted:

It’s a decent scene if a bit ham handed to be honest. The modeling for the environment is friggin fantastic though.

The adoration of pretty graphics has always perplexed me. It seems particularly strong now given this and FF7R.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Being fair, that’s actually a pretty good summary of the synagogue scene. :v:

Dina has a monologue about coming from a family full of survivors. She directly compares the plague to the Inquisition and the Holocaust.

:cripes:

I apologise for not realising this was an actual scene from the game, but please for the love of god treat these mature topics with respect; as that read really racist after glancing at it in the thread.

This is difficult for me from a moderating perspective, because I'm not planning on playing the game at this time.
Imma dip out, but please do me a favour and self police as best you can and report the posts that need them.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/magsthalush/status/1274251945419640835?s=20

I think that guy should be taken off probation probably

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

LostRook posted:

The adoration of pretty graphics has always perplexed me. It seems particularly strong now given this and FF7R.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve been into CGI stuff since I was a kid, and I love seeing the artform put to good use. The state of tech for real time graphics over time has been a hell of a ride, and it’s not like these scenes just randomly put themselves together.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

No one seems to actually know what anyone complaining about the game is talking about. Like, I’ve played to a point where I have encountered the character in question and I think people are being super hosed up trying to make people who are avoiding spoilers think that it’s Abby being brought up by transphobes.

At a certain point is it fun or something to spring this poo poo on possibly vulnerable people? What the gently caress.

e: that above post clarifies it a bit...but gently caress. I thought I’d revealed all the twists and turns before I decided to actually give it a go, but nooooooope.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 20, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

That's kinda stretching it- the stuff about comparing the zombie apocalypse to the Inquisition or the Holocaust is supported by the text of the game, though a bit reductive of the scene, but "there's possibly gas in the synagogue(which was being used by the WLF)" being turned into "haha the jews are hoarding gas in the apocalypse" is kinda bizarre to me.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Peacoffee posted:

No one seems to actually know what anyone complaining about the game is talking about. Like, I’ve played to a point where I have encountered the character in question and I think people are being super hosed up trying to make people who are avoiding spoilers think that it’s Abby being brought up by transphobes.

At a certain point is it fun or something to spring this poo poo on possibly vulnerable people? What the gently caress.

the most cynical part of me knows that outrage is its own industry and it could be possible that Abby being so diesel and the existence of a different character who is trans is on purpose to generate the maximum amount of controversy and people talking and thinking about the game

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
people are incredibly dumb and while there's a lot about this game to legitimately criticize, there's a lot of people that are grasping at straws, misinterpreting information like a bad game of telephone, or just straight up making poo poo up, both in this thread and in the internet at large

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm thankful for this narrative trainwreck because the memes are funny

https://twitter.com/_Vs_The_World/status/1274243003490729984

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Panzeh posted:

That's kinda stretching it- the stuff about comparing the zombie apocalypse to the Inquisition or the Holocaust is supported by the text of the game, though a bit reductive of the scene, but "there's possibly gas in the synagogue(which was being used by the WLF)" being turned into "haha the jews are hoarding gas in the apocalypse" is kinda bizarre to me.

ehh. twitter gonna twitter.

CharlestonJew posted:

people are incredibly dumb and while there's a lot about this game to legitimately criticize, there's a lot of people that are grasping at straws, misinterpreting information like a bad game of telephone, or just straight up making poo poo up, both in this thread and in the internet at large

my copy is coming today and i saw saw some basic plot explainer and while up its own rear end and little CW feeling at times, its not as stupid as memes make it out to be. their are probably plenty of legit critcisms i will have of it, but nothing so far looked out and out offensive or offensively bad to me.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Dewgy posted:

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve been into CGI stuff since I was a kid, and I love seeing the artform put to good use. The state of tech for real time graphics over time has been a hell of a ride, and it’s not like these scenes just randomly put themselves together.

At a certain point, unless you are doing something interesting with it, I feel like you ought to be making a movie or TV show.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Maybe I'm getting old but gameplay and story are getting more and more important. That's why something like Disco Elyseum appeals more to me than almost everything Sony show at the ps5 reveal

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Peacoffee posted:

I suppose this is the proper place to say that it is interesting as people start playing to hear some players balk at the “alt-righters” complaints about the game and then mention they are like 3 hours in.

I mean you might still have a lot of fun but at least wait until you finally understand the difference between the alt right complaints and the other complaints

there really is a horde of moronic chuds crusading against the game though. doesn't mean that the game doesn't also have actual serious problems - its not very good and i wouldn't buy it even if it wasn't a product of crunch - but the people flooding metacritic are mostly just upset bigots

it's good to have a thread like this where we can talk about the bad stuff and make fun of the dumb stuff without bigoted manchildren howling about sjews, femoids and degeneracy

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

Maybe I'm getting old but gameplay and story are getting more and more important. That's why something like Disco Elyseum appeals more to me than almost everything Sony show at the ps5 reveal

See even there, I think Disco Elysium has better graphics than TLou2, because it has style and does it's own thing instead of just aping movies. It does clever things, like the face portrait reveal, that a movie can't.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Alright, changed my mind, game is bullshit, literally unplayable. Massive spoilers incoming:

State quarters didn’t exist until 1999 you absolute fools!!! :argh:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I really hate that the chuds latched so hard onto this game, it completely undermines any valid criticism against the tone of the game and whether it is healthy to keep pushing ultraviolence in games as we rapidly reach photorealism.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

calling graphics that attempt to realistically depict things as aping movies is very good

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

LostRook posted:

See even there, I think Disco Elysium has better graphics than TLou2, because it has style and does it's own thing instead of just aping movies. It does clever things, like the face portrait reveal, that a movie can't.

That was a powerful moment and one of the best mature gaming TM examples maybe ever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Alright, changed my mind, game is bullshit, literally unplayable. Massive spoilers incoming:

State quarters didn’t exist until 1999 you absolute fools!!! :argh:

that's actually a really bizarre oversight. presumably the artist had to look up state quarters to make the texture, but even if they skipped the results page and went straight to GIS, what quarter would that have been copied from lol

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Khanstant posted:

that's actually a really bizarre oversight. presumably the artist had to look up state quarters to make the texture, but even if they skipped the results page and went straight to GIS, what quarter would that have been copied from lol

Naughty Dog is very very good at contracting out artwork and not doing their research.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I feel like nazis trolling only undermines real criticism if you let it, mainly by suggesting that it does.

Like I have not remotely benefited from avoiding abusive nazi discussions because their content has been fully repeated in here over and over as a way to tell people that burning dogs is progressive once you get enough context.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Naughty Dog is very very good at contracting out artwork and not doing their research.

look, somebody sat down and made this texture and I want to talk to them. Guess I should research first but no way I'm, buying a play station to do and a crunched game just to do that. are there other state quarters in the game or just this one? Do they have any un-state quarters? I'm thinking maybe the artist made a template for a quarter at some point and just swapped out the art and never thought twice about the dates again. when one of yall beat it, can you please keep an eye out for the quarter artist

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

still weird its always the dog thing and not how the humans are treated

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
dogfans have really taken over the internet, i don't even want to explain what i mean because i'll be attacked by 20 pictures of some dogs i don't know

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I wish dogfans had taken over the internet

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Khanstant posted:

look, somebody sat down and made this texture and I want to talk to them. Guess I should research first but no way I'm, buying a play station to do and a crunched game just to do that. are there other state quarters in the game or just this one? Do they have any un-state quarters? I'm thinking maybe the artist made a template for a quarter at some point and just swapped out the art and never thought twice about the dates again. when one of yall beat it, can you please keep an eye out for the quarter artist

TLOU2 debate has always been about state (quarters), right?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

Tlou2 teaches an important lesson about the enduring culture of the jews it its powerful synagogue scene where the mushroom zombies are compared to Torquemada and hitler

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good, that will teach you to use spoiler tags next time

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

I really hate that the chuds latched so hard onto this game, it completely undermines any valid criticism against the tone of the game and whether it is healthy to keep pushing ultraviolence in games as we rapidly reach photorealism.

same thing happened with the new star wars movies or the ghostbusters reboot, it became a 'culture war' thing, which works really well in the corporation's favor, since legitimate criticism can be handwaved away by snorting about chuds or whatever

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
A thing I remember about trainwrecks like Andromeda or Anthem is that they would have defenders and detractors before release, but after coming out they'd sell like hotcakes at first because most gamers aren't actually online nerds like us and don't follow any of the news or online discourse, but then the games would quickly drop off as these people would start playing and see the game sucks.

I'm bringing this up because I've been watching a streamer play this completely blind, and checking in on a bits of a few other random blind playthroughs by more casual gamers, and.. they don't seem to have the problems that we do. They don't hate the story choices or the writing, and they don't even get bored when the game does these very long bits where you just do loving nothing and wander around looking for items and notes to pick up while the characters talk with each other. Joel's Xtreme Golfing scene doesn't piss them off either and they like Ellie and Dina.

And the people in the other Games thread that are playing blind seem happy with the game so far too and don't sound like the defenders of Andromeda sounded when they were clearly trying to convince themselves that their preorders of triple deluxe special editions weren't a waste of money.

TLoU 2 still doesn't look great to me, but I'm starting to wonder if I am finally in the position of principal Chalmers, telling myself that I'm not out of touch and it's the children normies who are wrong :/

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Not really, you could just make fun of the game without mentioning HRT or lesbians or holocausts.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stux posted:

still weird its always the dog thing and not how the humans are treated

I'm just glad the internet is programming self driving cars to do the right thing in an emergency

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Starks posted:

Not really, you could just make fun of the game without mentioning HRT or lesbians or holocausts.

Next you'll tell me I'm not allowed to breath!

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Druckmann seems to have fallen off a cliff after TLOU1. Maybe when it's free on playstation plus ill give it a shot but im not paying cash money for a game that ends with "killing this serial killer would make ME the villain, so I'll not only essentially save them from a guaranteed death situation, but ill let them live after they maim me for life". If sales actually hurt even a tiny bit, I wonder if Naughty Dog will consider replacing him, especially since there might be some buyer's remorse on going all in on him instead of Amy Hennig.

Grapplejack posted:

same thing happened with the new star wars movies or the ghostbusters reboot, it became a 'culture war' thing, which works really well in the corporation's favor, since legitimate criticism can be handwaved away by snorting about chuds or whatever

Ghostbusters 2016 bombed massively, and delayed any sequel/spinoffs for a solid 5 years (assuming they don't try to delay it again due to covid-15). Mass Effect 3 led to less people willing to go blind into Mass Effect Andromeda ontop of Andromeda's low quality even though they tried to say with Mass Effect 3 "everyone who hates the game is doing so because they hate how we support gay relationships in the game, pay no attention to the legitimate criticisms behind the curtain.

Has trying to make legitimate criticism look like a cultural war actually worked to make a bad product sell better?

If someone is willing to defend a product they know as bad in bad faith because people they hate also hate it, I don't think their opinion in ANYTHING is worth listening to and I pity them as people.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I hope everyone feels bad about the misogyny, transphobia and racism you’re not engaging in, but which I told the mod forum you were.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

Druckmann seems to have fallen off a cliff after TLOU1. Maybe when it's free on playstation plus ill give it a shot but im not paying cash money for a game that ends with "killing this serial killer would make ME the villain, so I'll not only essentially save them from a guaranteed death situation, but ill let them live after they maim me for life". If sales actually hurt even a tiny bit, I wonder if Naughty Dog will consider replacing him, especially since there might be some buyer's remorse on going all in on him instead of Amy Hennig.

Ghostbusters 2016 bombed massively, and delayed any sequel/spinoffs for a solid 5 years (assuming they don't try to delay it again due to covid-15). Mass Effect 3 led to less people willing to go blind into Mass Effect Andromeda ontop of Andromeda's low quality even though they tried to say with Mass Effect 3 "everyone who hates the game is doing so because they hate how we support gay relationships in the game, pay no attention to the legitimate criticisms behind the curtain.

Has trying to make legitimate criticism look like a cultural war actually worked to make a bad product sell better?

If someone is willing to defend a product they know as bad in bad faith because people they hate also hate it, I don't think their opinion in ANYTHING is worth listening to and I pity them as people.

nice av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khanstant posted:

They probably had to make them at least partly by hand to make sure they’re textured properly, but there’s even voice lines referring to them. It’s such a weird thing to miss.

There’s more of them as collectibles too. Zero for two for having accurate quarter designs by year so far. :v: