Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

These sound great, cheers everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tsuki Ga Kirei is an extremely good 12-episode romance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood fine to watch if you're unfamiliar with the original FMA?

My wife has never seen FMA and I haven't watched any FMA in almost 15 years so I don't remember much other than there's a sexy lady with black hair and it's all secretly Hitler's fault.

Should we just hop straight into Brotherhood or should we watch the original FMA first?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mordiceius posted:

Is Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood fine to watch if you're unfamiliar with the original FMA?

My wife has never seen FMA and I haven't watched any FMA in almost 15 years so I don't remember much other than there's a sexy lady with black hair and it's all secretly Hitler's fault.

Should we just hop straight into Brotherhood or should we watch the original FMA first?

original FMA branches off after...I want to say like chapter 30 or 50 of the manga? because it caught up and instead of waiting they wrote their own original storyline for it. the hitler thing and whatnot is entirely original to the first anime.

FMA brotherhood is the manga in its entirety put to animation. the first 10 or so episodes are a bit fast-paced because the studio figures people have seen the initial parts of the series from the first anime, but then gets into a good, steady pace for the rest of it. I would say you can go straight into Brotherhood.

the first episode's kinda weird, it's been a while since I've seen it but it throws a bunch of info from the early parts of the series together for an introductory episode for some reason, it always felt kinda unnecessary, but it's probably more for first timers. it's real nicely animated though.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
ugh, wrong thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Brotherhood is its own thing. Its not a sequel, but a reboot thats trying to be closer to the original manga. The first third or so of the show goes through the early chapters at a pretty steady clip but it still works fine for people who havent read the manga.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Brotherhood is its own thing. Its not a sequel, but a reboot thats trying to be closer to the original manga. The first third or so of the show goes through the early chapters at a pretty steady clip but it still works fine for people who havent read the manga.
It's more like the first 5th (basically a whole cour) or so but yeah, that part goes really fast, no fucks given.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thanks for the tips. I was aware of the situation with surpassing the manga, my main concern was just to whether the abridged nature of FMA:B’s beginning would make either of us feel lost. Some friends were telling me that they felt like FMA:B seemed like it expected that you had seen the original series.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks for the tips. I was aware of the situation with surpassing the manga, my main concern was just to whether the abridged nature of FMA:B’s beginning would make either of us feel lost. Some friends were telling me that they felt like FMA:B seemed like it expected that you had seen the original series.

I'm actually just re-watching FMA;B like 9 years later with my wife who had never seen it. One of her current favorite sci-fi authors (NK Jemisin) had tweeted about loving FMA etc so I suggested she check it out.

Biggest thing I can tell so far is some of the early emotional connections with characters just doesn't develop because the story goes through super fast. Like Shou Tucker's daughter and the dog, that whole story was at least from what I remember really sad and built up for a while. In FMA:B you meet them one episode, dead the next and onto the 1st battle with Scar. It's still impactful, but I remember in the original series it was like, really more of a feeling of loss for everyone and now it's like "oh a kid, ok bye kid sorry your short life ended bad" and done.

That said, I remember when I finished FMA:B I liked it a great deal more than the original FMA. We are on about ep 12 or so right now so I'll see if I can tell when it slows down.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ive shown brotherhood to people who had never even heard of the original 2003 series or the manga and they got it fine. There's one character whose intro is completely skipped but he's comic relief so him showing up and talking about stuff that never happened onscreen actually kind of works.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordiceius posted:

It's not abridged, and honestly I don't even really agree with the "rushed" assessment. It's more that the original FMA put an outsized emphasis on early characters / events that simply aren't that important in either FMA:B or the manga in the long run, except insofar as they inform other characters' motivations.

Endorph posted:

Ive shown brotherhood to people who had never even heard of the original 2003 series or the manga and they got it fine. There's one character whose intro is completely skipped but he's comic relief so him showing up and talking about stuff that never happened onscreen actually kind of works.

plus this guy, but yeah, his deal is clear basically as soon as he shows up

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I never consumed any fma media and I liked brotherhood quite a bit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not abridged, and honestly I don't even really agree with the "rushed" assessment. It's more that the original FMA put an outsized emphasis on early characters / events that simply aren't that important in either FMA:B or the manga in the long run, except insofar as they inform other characters' motivations.

plus this guy, but yeah, his deal is clear basically as soon as he shows up

Yeah, I’d agree. There are aspects about the beginning that are to a degree rushed, but the original basically gave the early characters expanded roles that created more attachment due to lack of manga material. Like the original basically expanded the timeline which is irreconcilable with how the manga/BH storyline plays out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

any anime where a drill hair girl is shown putting her drill hair together

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

any anime where a drill hair girl is shown putting her drill hair together
This happens in madoka rebellion doesnt it?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This thread highly recommended FMA:B as my break in anime a few years back and it was probably the best suggestion possible now that I look back. I started off slow but I binged the whole back half over a single weekend once I got invested in everything.

I still havnt started on the Legend of Galactic Heroes part of the original recommendation post though...

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Endorph posted:

This happens in madoka rebellion doesnt it?
Alas, she just snaps her fingers and magics her hair into place; They saved the hair budget for romantic braid tying

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Galactic Heroes is probably the fastest I've ever watched a show past around the episode 15 point, I spent the next like 5 days just... watching...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

klapman posted:

Galactic Heroes is probably the fastest I've ever watched a show past around the episode 15 point, I spent the next like 5 days just... watching...

Kiercheis... *Touches photo*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching the 2003 Astro Boy dub, and it seems to have held up pretty well. It's got some definite early 00s dub hallmarks (mostly dialogue added where there probably wasn't any in the original) but is willing to not treat its audience as idiot children. (the whole 'kokoro' idea and all)

it's got a very 'hit the ground running' or maybe in medias res feel, since there's a fair bit of implication from early on that while Astro's starting over from scratch, this isn't his first rodeo. Why do amnesiac narratives always make me think Disco Elysium now?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is this the Galactic Heroes people are talking about? Because it looks decent to me and I'm gonna start watching it. Tower of God is also going on my list, but in case those two fall through, I could use a cool anime about explosions.

There are a few things that I have a very low tolerance for in anime: Pervy bullshit (Any scene with a character casually groping a boob or butt equals basically an instant loss of interest, because that personality trait isn't going away anytime soon), characters who exist entirely to be explained to, and characters who exist entirely to be boobs (Overlap often occurs with the previous peeves). These aren't deal-breakers in and of themselves, but the rest of the anime needs to be loving magnifique to get me to ignore that poo poo. I also don't enjoy the current trend of power fantasy isekai.

Anime I have thoroughly enjoyed:
FLCL
Scryed (The result I got when I asked for a cool anime about explosions back in 2008 or so)
Vandread (The sole exception to the boob-groping policy)
Gurren Lagann
MEGALOBOX
Kakegurui
Beastars
Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san
The Tatami Galaxy
My Hero Academia (Deku is not the hero I would have wanted him to be, but that's perfectly all right)
Robotics;Notes
Redline
And one I can't remember the name of, it had teen pop idols in mech suits fighting the moon. Or creatures from the moon. Or on the moon. Possibly all three. Symphogear! That was it!

Anime I enjoyed, but not to the point of the previous category:
Dr. STONE
Ace Attorney (It's just going over the plot of the games, but still enjoyable)
Attack on Titan
Aldnoah.Zero
Castlevania (Really need to watch season two, though)

Anime I enjoyed, but felt went bad towards the end:
Hunter X Hunter (The Chimera Ant arc tried to add an ensemble cast, went too big with it, killed off most of the interesting ones, the main characters didn't grow in any meaningful way, and then the anime ended and I can't find a source for the manga)
Yakitate JaPan (The anime I think outpaced the manga, and the ending there was kinda forced and sudden. I finished the manga a few months back after remembering it existed, and the entire Yakitate 25 arc was an exercise in more and more strained puns, culminating in an admittedly cool final battle followed by a completely unnecessary final chapter where the world is saved from rising ocean levels with bread)
Shokugeki no Soma (The third and fourth seasons just kinda dragged, I'm hoping it gets better in 5. All the clothes exploding leaned close to pervy bullshit, but at least it was mostly equal-opportunity)

Anime I dropped for one reason or another, often just because I haven't felt like watching the next episode rather than some definite reason:
Overlord (One episode, boob groping)
Seven Deadly Sins (One episode, boob groping)
Goblin Slayer (Pervy bullshit)
Jojo's (I want to like it, but it's just weirdly-paced and something rubs me the wrong way about it. Season one was also a big offender in the people-existing-to-be-explained-to category. And yes, I did get up into what everyone calls the good part, the next episode in my queue is Death 13, part 2)
Code Geass
Ushio & Tora
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Phi Brain (You'd think an anime about solving puzzles would be entirely my jam, but they just gloss over 80% of the actual puzzle)
Fire Force
One Piece (Like Jojo's, weirdly-paced and rubbing me the wrong way. Sanji also veers dangerously close to pervy bullshit and Nami too close to existing purely as boobs. I'm somewhere in the Mermaid Kingdom arc)
Aggretsuko
And probably like a dozen more that I can't remember, these are just from my crunchyroll and netflix queues.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dareon posted:

Is this the Galactic Heroes people are talking about? Because it looks decent to me and I'm gonna start watching it. Tower of God is also going on my list, but in case those two fall through, I could use a cool anime about explosions.

This is the modern remake; it covers (thus far) the first season of the original (80s) adaptation, which is available on Hidive in all 110 episodes of its talking-heads-over-classical-music splendor.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pick IBO back up, that show rules

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Going to give you two very different recs here and suggest you try Mushishi and also Mob Psycho 100. Both have two seasons, both are consistently spectacular.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You are basically me so thank you for this post I'm looking forward to all the recommendations you get.

Lemme recommend Vinland Saga (no explosions, but like, very cool and explosive fights and actions), SSSS Gridman, Any of the Lupin movies, Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, One Punch Man, and Appare-Ranman!, tho that last one stopped airing due to covid, and is only just coming back next month, looks p good tho.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
e: wrong thread!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dareon posted:

There are a few things that I have a very low tolerance for in anime: Pervy bullshit (Any scene with a character casually groping a boob or butt equals basically an instant loss of interest, because that personality trait isn't going away anytime soon), characters who exist entirely to be explained to, and characters who exist entirely to be boobs (Overlap often occurs with the previous peeves). These aren't deal-breakers in and of themselves, but the rest of the anime needs to be loving magnifique to get me to ignore that poo poo. I also don't enjoy the current trend of power fantasy isekai.

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Steins;Gate

I'm also going to throw Fate/Zero in the ring despite the forum's general aversion to it outside the Fate fanbase. Its great as a stand alone series even if you don't plan on getting into the greater Nasuverse.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Fate/Zero is okay but be warned it does lean into the edge HARD.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Fate/zero spends a not-inconsiderable amount of time screwing over its female cast members.

Fridging like four love interests sure is a thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as someone who's fairly into fate i did not like fate/zero very much outside of like a couple eps but it seems pretty popular with a lot of people who can't get into other fate stuff so. idk

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
gotta be honest before I make too many recommendations I have to hear how Kakegurui doesn't fall under pervy bullshit cause that show is unbelievably horny

if it's specifically horny stuff used in a gag context that annoys you, I'd recommend Devilman Crybaby cause it's a very fun and snappy show that's over and done with in ten episodes

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

klapman posted:

gotta be honest before I make too many recommendations I have to hear how Kakegurui doesn't fall under pervy bullshit cause that show is unbelievably horny

if it's specifically horny stuff used in a gag context that annoys you, I'd recommend Devilman Crybaby cause it's a very fun and snappy show that's over and done with in ten episodes

I watched one episode of Kakegurui and needed to go take a shower from how slimy it made feel

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
it wasn't nearly as good as Kaiji, which I'd also recommend if you were into Kakegurui

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I watched one episode of Kakegurui and needed to go take a shower from how slimy it made feel

yeah there's a lot of spittle and sweat flying towards the camera lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

klapman posted:

Kakegurui isn't pervy. It is freaky. There is a wide gulf between those two descriptors, especially in the context of anime grab-assery.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there are shows about people being horny and there are shows about "ha ha sexual harassment is hilarious" and for some reason the former is treated like it's taboo and for adult audiences only while the latter constantly makes its way into shows that are nominally for kids/teenagers

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Are there any other shows like Promised Neverland where there's a season arc basically about breaking out of jail? Any sort of Great Escape-style shenanigans or Ocean's Eleven heist twists?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dareon posted:

Anime I have thoroughly enjoyed:
Gurren Lagann
You could check out other hotblooded giant robot stuff. G Gundam, Shin Mazinger Z, Shin Jeeg all come to mind.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Are there any other shows like Promised Neverland where there's a season arc basically about breaking out of jail? Any sort of Great Escape-style shenanigans or Ocean's Eleven heist twists?

Great Pretender which is currently running. I was amazed by how Ocean's 11 it was. Maybe closer to something like the Sly Cooper games where it's a group of more honorable thieves loving over and robbing way shittier and legit evil criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

klapman posted:

Lemme see if I can get this into words. Like, yeah, there's a lot of boobs and butt and squirming thigh close-ups, but the MC and the other horny chick aren't being horny for a person. That makes it better even if their horny is being displayed for the"benefit" of the viewer, and the rest of the characterization and detail is good enough that if the horny got too heavy I could roll my eyes and hold out until the actual psychological poo poo kicked back in.

A lot of really great looking suggestions, thank you all.