Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I dropped Sword back in November because of work, but I picked it back up with a new file a couple of weeks ago. Only took me a few days to beat the game, but even though it was barebones in the back end (seriously, Spikemuth was a hallway), I still had fun playing. Some great variety in the regular Galar Dex, Wild Area was fun if linear. This is the series that I grew up on, so I'm always going to give it the benefit of the doubt. There are definitely some good concepts that didn't get enough dev time. I have to imagine that if they went back to a two year cycle then the games will be much stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nessa posted:

Exactly!

They really didn’t think through how valuable a proper map or a compass would be, and how frustrating it would be without one. All open world games have these features and they clearly didn’t think about that before they implemented it. I spent ages in that forest trying to find a cave entrance, only to eventually give up and find the cave entrance elsewhere.

Oh thank Christ, I'm not the only one. I got lost for HOURS in that stupid forest, thinking the entrance to the cave with the mushrooms would be somewhere in the forest, because the old dude sucks at giving directions and the map sucks.

Where's my mini-map? Sun and Moon had a map! I'd even take Rotom jabbering over it every 5 seconds, as long as I could have one! :argh:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Silver Falcon posted:

Where's my mini-map? Sun and Moon had a map! I'd even take Rotom jabbering over it every 5 seconds, as long as I could have one! :argh:

This will be added in DLC in Gen 9.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Carlosologist posted:

I dropped Sword back in November because of work, but I picked it back up with a new file a couple of weeks ago. Only took me a few days to beat the game, but even though it was barebones in the back end (seriously, Spikemuth was a hallway), I still had fun playing. Some great variety in the regular Galar Dex, Wild Area was fun if linear. This is the series that I grew up on, so I'm always going to give it the benefit of the doubt. There are definitely some good concepts that didn't get enough dev time. I have to imagine that if they went back to a two year cycle then the games will be much stronger.

It was rushed to meet Christmas and the game suffers for that no doubt but if they hadn't pushed it back I wouldn't have bought a Switch before they all went missing in the Great Animal Crossing Craze of 2020

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

I wouldn't mind the Zeraora raids nearly as much if you didn't have to beat every raid in the area to get new ones. I need Watts, dangit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

See Mohn posted:

I wouldn't mind the Zeraora raids nearly as much if you didn't have to beat every raid in the area to get new ones. I need Watts, dangit.

Mood. I started breeding Eevee last night just to get off a bunch of surprise trades with the rejects in hopes of getting a raid I could get into so that my shiny Zeraora raid would vanish.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Mood. I started breeding Eevee last night just to get off a bunch of surprise trades with the rejects in hopes of getting a raid I could get into so that my shiny Zeraora raid would vanish.

Wait, explain please. Can you make raids go away without beating them?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

See Mohn posted:

Wait, explain please. Can you make raids go away without beating them?

When you join and beat someone else's raid, one of your raids disappears.

The problem is being able to join someone else's raid.

See Mohn
Oct 28, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

When you join and beat someone else's raid, one of your raids disappears.

The problem is being able to join someone else's raid.

Well, that solves my Zeraora problem pretty handily. Thanks for the tip.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I usually start a card trade using a random number nobody will pick, keeps the raid list refreshing until you see one you like

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Is there a way to use ability capsules to get an Own Tempo Rockruff? I'm trying to get a dusk Lycanrock, but it turns out the only way to get them without trading is to get very lucky with raids. I even checked in the Pokemon Home GTS but every dang body wants an Urshifu for them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Is there a way to use ability capsules to get an Own Tempo Rockruff? I'm trying to get a dusk Lycanrock, but it turns out the only way to get them without trading is to get very lucky with raids. I even checked in the Pokemon Home GTS but every dang body wants an Urshifu for them.

A friend gave me one. Give me like 5 minutes and I'll try to breed another with my fancy ditto.

Edit: first one I hatched, ready to go. PM me if you still want it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 20, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got a 2nd bear on a new profile and moved him to Home. Play time total was only 1:36 but it was probably closer to 2 hours and change because of cutscenes. All in all not as tedious as I thought it’d be.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh thank Christ, I'm not the only one. I got lost for HOURS in that stupid forest, thinking the entrance to the cave with the mushrooms would be somewhere in the forest, because the old dude sucks at giving directions and the map sucks.

Yeah, why send us to a forest filled with dojo trainers looking for mushrooms when the mushrooms aren’t even in that area?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Carlosologist posted:

It’s kinda funny that at the end of the day, if that datamine is correct, all Pokémon will be available in SwSh

Dexit was never a deal breaker for me, but if this is true I'm glad and I know a lot of other people will be too.

If it is true though it's weird they were so cagey about it at release. Why wouldn't they just be upfront about patching in more Pokemon later?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's a whole honey themed island but honey has no purpose...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheHan posted:

There's a whole honey themed island but honey has no purpose...

:wrong:

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If it is true though it's weird they were so cagey about it at release. Why wouldn't they just be upfront about patching in more Pokemon later?

https://www.ign.com/articles/we-saw-30-minutes-of-pokemon-sword-and-shields-isle-of-armor-dlc

One of the preview articles for the dlc this week asked a rep if the returning pokemon was because of the response to the cut and were told, no, the dlc was in development before SwSh released. (Granted the rep said they couldn't be certain)

So my guess is that they just didn't want to reveal the dlc that early. It's also really hard to not feel like the pokemon were cynically cut so that their return could be used to hype up the dlc.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 20, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

2nd profiles both have access to the same Home and DLC as the profile it was purchased on? Just made one to replay BotW, would be nice if I could rush the game again to work on a living dex I'll never complete

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I've tried using honey everywhere and it hasn't done anything...please tell me what it does...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sleeping Sigma posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/we-saw-30-minutes-of-pokemon-sword-and-shields-isle-of-armor-dlc

One of the preview articles for the dlc this week asked a rep if the returning pokemon was because of the response to the cut and were told, no, the dlc was in development before SwSh released. (Granted the rep said they couldn't be certain)

So my guess is that they just didn't want to reveal the dlc that early. It's also really hard to not feel like the pokemon were cynically cut so that their return could be used to hype up the dlc.

So it's either this is PR bullshit or that Game Informer interview with the director where they say they won't be adding in the old pokemon and this was all for balance reasons was PR bullshit.

Just take the fuckin year off and make an actually good game.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheHan posted:

I've tried using honey everywhere and it hasn't done anything...please tell me what it does...

regular honey is just for selling I think, but the island itself definitely has useful honey

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OK, I had some free time and thought I'd finally help with the Zeraora raids. First, the game doesn't update the sticker list at all. Then it does after a few surprise trades, but every raid that shows up is full. A few more surprise trades and a few more failed attempts to join someone's already filled raid because of course those are the ones that show up in the list, and I have the brilliant idea of try to locate a den and host a raid of my own. I finally found a den with a Zeraora. I start the raid, no one joins. "That's weird, usually at least two people join". Try again. Nothing. Try with the lovely AI partners, fail. Try again to host, nobody shows up again. Do two surprise trades just in case it helps refresh whatever is not making my raid show up to anyone else. Try to host two more times and nobody shows up yet again. I finally give up.

gently caress you, Game Freak. gently caress you for wasting a whole hour of my day for nothing with your embarrassingly bad online system. It's ridiculous!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saoshyant posted:

OK, I had some free time and thought I'd finally help with the Zeraora raids. First, the game doesn't update the sticker list at all. Then it does after a few surprise trades, but every raid that shows up is full. A few more surprise trades and a few more failed attempts to join someone's already filled raid because of course those are the ones that show up in the list, and I have the brilliant idea of try to locate a den and host a raid of my own. I finally found a den with a Zeraora. I start the raid, no one joins. "That's weird, usually at least two people join". Try again. Nothing. Try with the lovely AI partners, fail. Try again to host, nobody shows up again. Do two surprise trades just in case it helps refresh whatever is not making my raid show up to anyone else. Try to host two more times and nobody shows up yet again. I finally give up.

gently caress you, Game Freak. gently caress you for wasting a whole hour of my day for nothing with your embarrassingly bad online system. It's ridiculous!

I don't know what's worse, the fact that I can't just ping someone on my friend list to directly trade/fight or the fact there's no way to regularly refresh the sticker list OR that there's no way to just search for "Active ____ stickers" be it raids or trades or card swaps.

I'll loving engage with your online system if you just loving let me Game freak! How is this harder and more annoying to use than the loving DS and 3DS online systems? It's 2019 you've had a decade of other developers work to at least see in passing!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 20, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/1274406883533688833?s=21

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

It's really kind of frustrating to not have rpg quality of life features that have been around for 20 years and thus should know better by now.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I like the new wild area and the goofy dojo quest. I'm unhappy that they didn't put any time into improving the bad online play.

The cramorant item thing is weird as balls but looking down the Serebii list (https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/cram-o-matic.shtml) it's a good way to get really good stuff (ability capsule; star and ribbon sweets; all sorts of stuff that usually costs BP). Nuts to doing it without looking it up in a guide though. I tried out putting in a Pretty Wing, a Honey, some other throwaway item I can't remember and an Apricorn and it spat out... a Pretty Wing. so basically it ate 3 items

It feels like that could be a game in itself, working out how to get good items out of it (if you wanted to do it yourself as a personal challenge rather than looking it up on the internet), but it's just another one of these systems that the game itself doesn't give you enough information to work it out. So it seems like a missed opportunity.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
If that datamine about returning Pokémon is true, then the space provided by HOME will be extremely inadequate for long-time players and collectors like me. Wonder if they'll ever expand it. (Aren't Pokémon files tiny in size anyways? Should be a cinch for a paid feature)

Datamines for the Crown Tundra indicate that it's going to be much meatier than the little snack that was Isle of Armor, but I dunno. I'd rather just wait to move onto generation 9 and leave Galar's many, many mistakes and underwhelming bits behind for good.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Carlosologist posted:

It’s kinda funny that at the end of the day, if that datamine is correct, all Pokémon will be available in SwSh

Is this the datamine you're referring to?

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1273679578934808576

Because all he's saying is that there will be at least 898 Pokemon in total (not including any Mythicals added later). Not that everyone is returning.

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1273679863036010496

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Can you get dusk Lycanroc from Isle of Armor?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

LemonLimeTime posted:

You can evolve it there if you have one that has the special ability. But as to getting the special ability, I am not sure.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LemonLimeTime posted:

It's in raids. We did some last night.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Is this the datamine you're referring to?

Because all he's saying is that there will be at least 898 Pokemon in total (not including any Mythicals added later). Not that everyone is returning.

i bet it will be the fossil pokemon that will be missing because gamefreak just loves kicking them when they are down :negative:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Fucksakes just give us our starters back. That's all I really want more than anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LemonLimeTime posted:

There’s a raid den that can have Own Tempo Rockruff and Dusk Form Lycanroc, yes. It’s the one to the east of the Darkness tower,

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/abcboy101/status/1274355975760351234 link to what is currently believed to be the Crown Tundra's returning pokemon due to the internal listing deleting these pokemon instead of leaving them blank.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

https://twitter.com/abcboy101/status/1274355975760351234 link to what is currently believed to be the Crown Tundra's returning pokemon due to the internal listing deleting these pokemon instead of leaving them blank.

It's odd that they'd add the gen 3 starters, but not any of the others.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's odd that they'd add the gen 3 starters, but not any of the others.

Gen III and IV were the absolute top tier for starters so its only weird they're leaving out Sinnoh but you got to get those Blaziken fans I guess.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

You can evolve it there if you have one that has the special ability. But as to getting the special ability, I am not sure.

I just had to trade a goon for one with that ability earlier today. From what I've read online, you can breed it down but it's no longer available to catch a Rockruff with Own Tempo. Apparently it was a special event pokemon during USUM and is a semi-rare raid den now. Outside of that though you're out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I'd never IV bred pokemon for and went in without really knowing what to do (I learned about destiny knot about half way through), but after several hours of incrementally improving the breeding pair, these two popped out at the same time

cried a lot about this one

this one induced physical pain