Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Functionally the same, anyway. They're very distinct-looking and often have a metallic sheen, which is where the name comes from. Chrysalis comes from the Greek word for 'gold', chrysos.

A chrysalis is just a butterfly pupa. Only a few butterfly species have a gold or metallic chrysalis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

oh poo poo whos that

this is old piece of poo poo house is filled with bugs.

the biggest bug of them all

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

a mysterious critter to be sure

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Never seen a more horrible vermin in my life. Look at how big, fat and hairy it is. Those soulless eyes. Just horrid.

McGavin posted:

A chrysalis is just a butterfly pupa. Only a few butterfly species have a gold or metallic chrysalis.
Geeze, I was just explaining why there's a special name for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I believe this to be a pupae. or cocoon. is that the same thing? I will not google it.

heres another angle showing the two little suspension wires holding this contraption in place. nice. I am 99% sure this is not a stick.
I believe this may be a Tiger Swallowtail chrysalis.

(not my photos)

and it turns into this:

I would often buy a tiger swallowtail hatching kit at the butterfly place near me when I was a kid, the chrysalises are very wriggly little things when they're close to emerging, it's adorable. the tapered end whirls around a bunch, and will react to your touch if you poke it. :3:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

the biggest bug of them all

I looked it up in my field guide and from the markings I would say it's a cat (felis catus). Very hard to get rid of once you have one.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I love all the yard critters, especially the herps :kimchi: Please keep posting if you can get the wild Pokemon to evolve!

Chaosfeather posted:

Tis the season of getting all of the babby birds. I've gotten a couple of babs that the adults are too large, too agile or just plain too smart to be captured and it's a treat.

This is a young Northern Mockingbird!

Easily ID'd by their distinct patterns.

They also do some cool acrobatics.

Admittedly this one did not. They kinda bounced around frantically.

I swear they weren't harmed, they just decided to thrash about when they had the chance.

Lookit the little whisker-feathers! :kimchi:

Right now we are getting a shitton of starlings in the traps.

You tried to escape and found my boob. Good job.

Dear lord this one was a drama queen.

Towhees: Still in the trap on a daily basis.

Baby house sparrows are pretty regular too. Still cute as a button.

HERE is a new one, and actually one I've narrowed down to two possible species.

This is a juvenile Oriole!

Could be Hooded Oriole, Could be Bullock's Oriole

When the biologist you report to goes "eeeeh it's difficult to tell at this age" then you just shrug and move on.

A very pretty and patient new friend.

39 baby starlings in the same trap: Insanity. We release the juveniles since they don't do well as captives.

This egg was on the ground in a grassy area and I nearly ran it over. Candling revealed it was a dud, so I gave it to my nearest cowbirds as a treat.

Here's a bird that I mis-identified at first because we don't really get them around here very often.

This is a female Brewer's blackbird, and I got some help in IDing her.

A male (I assume mate) was absolutely frantic on the outside of the trap and refused to leave, even as I got in the trap.

They flew off together upon her release.

We are starting to get juvenile Cowbirds!

They are pretty darn cute, too.

For some reason they have a bit of yellow on them.

It fades in adults but makes them easy to ID.

They make good ice cream cones.

And lastly: Cowbirds bathing. They generally don't like the camera IN the cage but will happily bathe when I am in there, so I've left the cage for these pictures so they will act normal. Easily the best part about the job is changing the gross water on a hot day and immediately having birds go down to cool off.

Please forgive the shmutz on the rims, I swear I scrape them as hard as I can and it doesn't get rid of all of the scaling.

I know they don't understand english but I always talk to them and tell them what good birds they are.

I like to think the fact that most of the birds I care for are pretty used to me and chill is partly a result of this.

I have two sets of traps I care for, one four to six days a week and the other set only two days a week.

The two-days a week traps are generally absolutely filthy, but the calves really love watching the cowbirds bathe, too. You can see some of the birds like watching them right back.

Some bonuses that are outside the traps:

A Southern Pacific Nope Rope

Coyote fast food.

Very common, very cute.

Fancy lad.

Some people keep these on their property. Some get out.

This black-crowned Night Heron snatched up a gosling for a meal.

A couple of toads live under one of the traps. They come out when I change the water.

I'd like to take time to do more herping but I'm generally on the job when I go to these places so I can't stick around for fun.

Edit: trying to fix the post so it doesn't make the app explode. Sorry about that!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 21, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That rattler looks like a beefcake :3

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Found a friend who bites at the lake today on our boat dock, chilling under a float. Central Alabama. It's some kind of watersnake but I can't figure out exactly what kind, maybe a Southern Water Snake? His head coloration doesn't match up to any I've found pictures of but he may be younger or something. Embedding one, but more photos in the link.

e: My aunt and I think it's a Midlands Water Snake! Supposedly the most common watersnakes in central/north Alabama.

https://imgur.com/a/z85LYWb

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 21, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please don't full quote posts of dozens of images, it explodes the awful app. :(

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

please don't full quote posts of dozens of images, it explodes the awful app. :(

Sorry sorry I won't do it in the future. Any way I can fix the previous post?

also cute water snek.

Edit: Like this? Or reducing the image count itself?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 21, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chaosfeather posted:

Sorry sorry I won't do it in the future. Any way I can fix the previous post?

also cute water snek.
not to worry. generally when I quote massive imageposts I just edit it down to like, the first main bit of text before the images or what have you and a "snip". just so it's not an empty quote box.

so like;

Chaosfeather posted:

Tis the season of getting all of the babby birds. I've gotten a couple of babs that the adults are too large, too agile or just plain too smart to be captured and it's a treat.

-snip-

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Chaosfeather posted:

The two-days a week traps are generally absolutely filthy, but the calves really love watching the cowbirds bathe, too. You can see some of the birds like watching them right back.
Cows go birdwatching, birds go cow-watching. It's a beautiful circle of life.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

This dude is just shy of two inches long and was already dead when I spotted him in a parking lot. They can get a fair bit bigger, RIP rhino bro.

Dynastes tityus

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

even a deceased one of those is a neat find tbh

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Found 4 of these guys going to town on my dill today:

Best I can tell, it's a caterpillar for a black swallowtail butterfly, they lay eggs on plants in the carrot family, which includes dill.

Oh, he angry!

It also smells terrible when they grow their anger horns.

In the interest of letting them grow to become pollinating butterflies, I snipped off all the dill branches they were on as well as a few more that were on the cusp of going to seed and put them all in a pile behind my tool shed.

If they're smart they'll keep chowing down on that dill and become butterflies. If I see them in my garden again I can't guarantee their survival.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Found 4 of these guys going to town on my dill today:

- DrBouvenstein, 2020

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

This dude is just shy of two inches long and was already dead when I spotted him in a parking lot. They can get a fair bit bigger, RIP rhino bro.

Dynastes tityus

nice!!! ive been seeing these all over the place. a real treat. we made a bug box for one with all kind of features, but he just dug a hole in the mud. beetles are my absolute favorite. thanks for identifying this species.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Caught an itty bitty jumper on my screen door yesterday :3: he was maybe the size of a grain of rice

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Cowbird text update:

So frequently when I go to change waters there is debris in there. Poop, sticks, dirt, dead bugs, whatever. If the bugs are still alive I try my best to gently pluck them out of their watery grave-to-be and drop them off next to me where it's dry. It's a pretty normal part of my routine now.

One of my best birds (I've been calling her Brave Bird since she'll come right up to me when I'm in the trap doing things. Very good with names I know) was idling on a nearby branch and saw that I plucked a spider out of the water tray. As *soon* as I dropped the little arachnid on the ground she swooped under my hand and ate them.

RIP spider, but I was amused that she knew exactly what was going on, knew I wasn't a threat and took advantage to get a tasty snack.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Speaking of all them little containers what flying bugs come out of, anyone think they know what this is? I spotted it a week or so ago on my daily walk and wonder if there's something fun in there, and if it'd be interesting to take home and watch instead of hoping nothing wrecks it since it's right next to a sidewalk next to a busy road. Located in southwestern Michigan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm going to take a very iffy guess and say it's full of about a million extremely tiny spiders.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Nothing too exciting lately but our second wave of flowers is blooming so hopefully I'll see some more bees soon.

I found all of these feathers on our block one day on the weekend, so I assume there was a magpie/blue jay turf war.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I found all of these feathers on our block one day on the weekend, so I assume there was a magpie/blue jay turf war.
There are totally turf wars between blackbirds and chickadees on my back porch all the time. The bigger blackbirds will move in and drive off the chickadees from the bird feeder and they'll collect a posse and come take it back in force. It's like watching the cold war on fast-forward, but everyone's a bird.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Leperflesh posted:

I'm going to take a very iffy guess and say it's full of about a million extremely tiny spiders.

I went back today and took a closer look, and I see no indication of spiders, but it does look like there's a small dark cocoon-looking thing inside the silk wrapping. I'll keep an eye on it.

I also noticed, right next to it on the grass, this fellow.

Looks like a Gypsy Moth caterpillar, and upon looking up and seeing that it's a prolific pest, I looked around and spotted five more just in the tree branches nearby. Never would have noticed if I hadn't looked it up!

Also, another 50 feet further along, I found this.

Which appears to be an Eight-Spotted Forester.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You might wanna check in with your local forestry or agriculture office and see if they’re interested in Gypsy moth populations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The row of 'lil penguins on their backs :3:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not sure what kind of spider this is, but I mistook it for a berry hanging from a bush at first. This is in Western Washington.

E: Maybe a goldenrod crab spider?

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 24, 2020

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

its all nice on rice posted:

Not sure what kind of spider this is, but I mistook it for a berry hanging from a bush at first. This is in Western Washington.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6751 Goldenrod Crab Spider. They change from yellow to white over the course of a few days when they move to a different background color.

A selection of bugs in the STL metro this week:

A pair of Snowberry Clearwings gettin' it on.

A 5th instar Cecropia, still growing

some 4th and 5th instar Promethea

Harvestman with lotsa mites

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

hello and welcome back to look at these bugs.

the galaxy 10 camera is whack. you can see this little guys eye ball.

:350:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is that a Dolomedes? I've never seen one of those in person, lucky you.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Is that a Dolomedes? I've never seen one of those in person, lucky you.

the sad truth is I cannot identify 99.99% of the bugs around me. this nightmare was something like 2 inches across. is he different from the similarly brown looking ground spiders I know as 'wolf spider'? there is a big ditch and pond nearby so it would be a good spot to be a fishing spider.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like it could have been one, then. They're notoriously huge, two inches is well within their range

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Sounds like it could have been one, then. They're notoriously huge, two inches is well within their range

im looking on Wikipedia and yeah I see these all the time. come too new orleans and you will probably see one getting off the plane. it was raining today so they were out in force. usually pretty tiny, but where im at now they are bigger. Id swear the one I saw a few days ago was like 3 inches across. today I was staring into the weeds in the field next door and saw a wasp / hornet fly out of the grass. he landed ontop a tall piece of grass and one of those spiders jumped out from below the low grass and grabbed the wasp / hornet. this poo poo is serious. definitely the most brutal bug on bug action I have ever witnessed first hand.

hornet / wasp im struggling here ok

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 25, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That's not a Dolomedes; they have striped legs and bark-y coloration. That gal looks wolf spidery

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

hornet / wasp im struggling here ok

If you don't know, just say wasp. Hornets are a type of wasp so you'll be correct regardless.

There's also only one hornet species currently established in North America:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

If you don't know, just say wasp. Hornets are a type of wasp so you'll be correct regardless.

There's also only one hornet species currently established in North America:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

That's true, but also likely to lead to confusion or arguments over common versus scientific nomenclature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's true, but also likely to lead to confusion or arguments over common versus scientific nomenclature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

"Its colloquial names include the... ...white-rear end hornet"

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

A spiky little friend. I'm not sure I've seen one of these before!

Somebody was peeping on me in the shower this morning.

It looks like the forums will survive, but thanks for all the critters anyway! Sad doot forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If you dont talk to the critters are they even your friends