Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

What's with the hi-chew?

Techie stuff sometimes ships with candy. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Honestly though, it's because a lot of the Mechanical Keyboard stuff is done in limited batches through independent sellers, so most of them will include stuff to add a personal touch to their orders. When I used to send secret santa gifts for the old Wrestlehut/PSP Secret Santa threads, I would also line the boxes with :tastykake:s and other Philadelphia Area dry goods.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

LadyPictureShow posted:

I got back into knitting, and my supply box was kind of a hodgepodge, so I finally splurged on an interchangeable needle set (that I was too poor to afford back when I first learned)

Lovely! I've been knitting socks again (especially during endless Teams meetings - Mr Boods was horrified that I was knitting during meetings until I pointed out that at any one time, it's obvious that half the crew are playing around on Twitter/instagram -- reflections in specs -- and last week someone was so intensely working on a crossword that in addition to the meeting on screen, people were helping out with clues in the chat).

I've bought a lot of sock-weight self-patterning yarn to knit up socks for myself. Some in super-wash wool, but I've been making a few in cotton and in bamboo blends. It's all got me back into spinning again. There's no room in our gaffe for my proper spinning wheels, but Mr Boods bought me an e-spinner last Christmas, and I just dropped a packet on a compact drum carder. (I have a wonderful electric triple carder, but it's in storage -- it's a bit big on the one hand, and won't run off UK mains at the moment on the other).

I've also just bought three year-old madder plants, so they will live the rest of this season in their own pots, and then next spring get transferred to a dedicated space on Mr Boods' allotment.

:buddy:

I need handwork and stuff as a stress-buster, especially considering the absolutely insane plan my university has devised for teaching next autumn. I predicted that they would choose to go the worst possible route, and :toot: I was right.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Duck and Cover posted:

Techie stuff sometimes ships with candy. I don't know why.

This has nothing to do with tech, a lot of companies that care about customer satisfaction do this to sweeten the arrival of whatever you bought.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SEKCobra posted:

This has nothing to do with tech, a lot of companies that care about customer satisfaction do this to sweeten the arrival of whatever you bought.

I've received mini Haribo packs when I've bought fitness stuff from Wiggle here in the UK, and one of the wool & yarn shops I buy from will throw in a couple Haribo mini-packs if you buy more than two skeins of wool from them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ms Boods posted:

I've received mini Haribo packs when I've bought fitness stuff from Wiggle here in the UK, and one of the wool & yarn shops I buy from will throw in a couple Haribo mini-packs if you buy more than two skeins of wool from them.

The 3D printer kit I have downstairs right now comes with a pack of Haribo gummies, and the instructions tell you how many to eat after each step.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

I've wanted to try my hand at baitcasting for a while, and fishing is a pretty decent social distancing activity, so I dropped a couple bucks on a new reel and hopefully I don't make a fool of my self all weekend.

My ten year old is suddenly OBSESSED with the idea of fishing. I actually found a local older gent that's willing to teach him, and got some rods and reels and a tackle box for free from NextDoor. I'm really excited for him to have a new experience!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Well I know Prusa does it, I think at least one filament company does to. While I did say why, it was more a question of why it started not why they did it.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Jun 20, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mocking Bird posted:

My ten year old is suddenly OBSESSED with the idea of fishing. I actually found a local older gent that's willing to teach him, and got some rods and reels and a tackle box for free from NextDoor. I'm really excited for him to have a new experience!

That's awesome. Reeling in even a tiny panfish was super exciting when I was that young. It still kinda is exciting now at 32 :neckbeard:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Deftones shirt commemorating the 20th anniversary (:eyepop:) of White Pony

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Rageaholic posted:

Excellent

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got a 150-600mm Sigma super telephoto lens (the one on the right), now my glass collection is pretty well-rounded out and I can start doing some Rear Window poo poo I mean, birdwatching.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

These are rad

The Kith/Tupac sweatshirt is from a couple years ago right?

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
To step up my smoothie game (bought from Target, came with a $50 gift card. nice.):

And to step up my home coffee game. Now to find a good local roaster.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sneeing Emu has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Jun 21, 2020

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Sneeing Emu posted:

Got $60 from a customer research study, so I decided to use it to step up my home coffee game. Now to find a good local roaster.

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago after a couple years of debating if it was worth it. I'm still not sure if it's worth it but at the very least it makes my coffee considerably more consistent and helps with my laziness. I almost always stick with drip coffee, though, for what it's worth. Word of warning, though—there is no solution to keep static from spewing chaff on the counter when you remove the bin. Letting it sit for a minute after grinding helps, though.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Phthisis posted:

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago after a couple years of debating if it was worth it. I'm still not sure if it's worth it but at the very least it makes my coffee considerably more consistent and helps with my laziness. I almost always stick with drip coffee, though, for what it's worth. Word of warning, though—there is no solution to keep static from spewing chaff on the counter when you remove the bin. Letting it sit for a minute after grinding helps, though.

Good tip, thanks! I'll be using it for both drip and french press. Should be a nice upgrade from my cheapo blade grinder.

Also holy poo poo that blender is like a jet engine at full speed. I love it. Go to hell Ninja products.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Shrapnig posted:

These are rad

The Kith/Tupac sweatshirt is from a couple years ago right?

yeah, FW18. picked it up from a local place for under retail :toot:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Phthisis posted:

The trick to stop that is a little bit of water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Dh1W40ILY

Works with any style of grinder. Mines a direct feed into a porta filter and I just run my finger under a tap then stir up the hopper.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sneeing Emu posted:

To step up my smoothie game (bought from Target, came with a $50 gift card. nice.):

Local to Durham, but I enthusiastically recommend Counter Culture Coffee subscription. Pricey, but some of the best beans I’ve had. Bag a month is 14$ I think, and I just supplement something local in between bags.

Also, my favorite breakfast smoothie recipe for you to try:

1 cup (tightly packed) baby spinach (or 1/2 bag baby spinach from Aldi)
1 banana
1/4 cup blueberries
2 spoonful gobs vanilla greek yogurt
x4-6 baby carrots
Half tray crushed ice cubes
Optional but tasty: sprinkle chia seeds in after, mix in with spoon. If you do these in the blender they’ll concrete to the sides. Also x2 dates is a nice optional addition to this smoothie. Apple juice or something is a nice thing to add if you meal prep a bunch and try to blend everything frozen, helps get the mix flowing. I also only recently learned it’s better to start slow and speed it up as things liquify.

Also, a good immediate rinse and quick blend with hot water is perfect for cleaning the blender.

Enjoy! Blender and smoothies are loving great, wish I’d started them sooner.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Been sitting around quarantined enough. So I got this:

And something to watch while using it. My launch chromecast isn't that great any more

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

baram. posted:

yeah, FW18. picked it up from a local place for under retail :toot:

drat, Kith has done some weird collabs but the Columbia one was ridiculous.

How’d you manage to grab the BLM tee? From what I saw those things turned to smoke immediately, and for good reason. They were sold out before I knew they existed.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

Been sitting around quarantined enough. So I got this:

And something to watch while using it. My launch chromecast isn't that great any more

How do you watch the tube when it's shoved up your rear end?

asking for a friend

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

asking for a friend

Very carefully

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Sneeing Emu posted:

My wife and I received one of these as a wedding gift 8 years ago and have used it almost every day since. It still grinds consistently and has never had an issue - I've done zero maintenance to the thing. Definitely a good deal. My kids always complain about the noise, but I figure the grinder was here first!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

asking for a friend

Mirrors and practice.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Megabound posted:

The trick to stop that is a little bit of water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Dh1W40ILY

Works with any style of grinder. Mines a direct feed into a porta filter and I just run my finger under a tap then stir up the hopper.

Moisture can reduce the lifetime of the burrs. It's minor, and the Baratza burrs will last for many many years and are replaceable, but it's still a thing. But for what it's worth, when I've tried spritzing the beans, it hasn't really worked better than letting the grounds sit for a sec. Helps but doesn't solve.

As for beans, don't get an online subscription like the counter culture one. It's good coffee, but buy local. I'm not even a freshness snob or an anti-mass market nut—but one of the best parts about being "into coffee" is going around and checking out the coffee shops for the different roasteries and trying stuff out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

asking for a friend

Well my head’s already up there...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Spent the day cleaning up my zappers, cutting out the controller port wires, and fixing a busted trigger. Celebrating the successful surgery by buying a nice wooden case, and some era-appropriate labels. Only thing I couldn’t find was a proper Nintendo Seal of Quality.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell yeah!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I bought an extra shelf for a billy bookcase to turn a 7-shelf case into an 8-shelf case so I can fit even more blurays :toot:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I bought an extra shelf for a billy bookcase to turn a 7-shelf case into an 8-shelf case so I can fit even more blurays :toot:

Adding an extra shelf to a Billy feels so... right

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Shrapnig posted:

drat, Kith has done some weird collabs but the Columbia one was ridiculous.

How’d you manage to grab the BLM tee? From what I saw those things turned to smoke immediately, and for good reason. They were sold out before I knew they existed.

Saw them post about it on IG a couple weeks back so I set a reminder for it, barely got my order through. Linked it to a buddy once I put in my order and they were already sold out.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Black Sabbath is selling these so I bought one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Slimy Hog posted:

What's with the hi-chew?

OSH Park sends a little bag of jelly beans with every PCB order, and Advanced Circuits sends a microwave bag of popcorn. I was very confused the first time I got PCBs from AC.

Rageaholic posted:

No sir, I don't like it. I need that shirt though. The White Pony was a killer album.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I usually play Street Carp on repeat A LOT.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:homebrew:

Matching ottoman not pictured

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Rageaholic posted:

I really wanted to get the red hat because it looks cool, but no loving way I'm wearing a bright red hat in this decade

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Glottis posted:

I really wanted to get the red hat because it looks cool, but no loving way I'm wearing a bright red hat in this decade

Eh, I wear a Phillies hat all the time and nobody has mistaken it for a Maga hat yet :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slimy Hog posted:

Eh, I wear a Phillies hat all the time and nobody has mistaken it for a Maga hat yet :shrug:

Yes they have.