Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently the strategy demon hybrid is what Atlus planned to make and Nintendo was like, no, make it a persona.

Its the best of the Persona-formula games in my opinion but I really dont like the persona formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How is Grandia II? Is it worth picking up if I missed out on it originally?

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 22, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is cheesy as gently caress but you know I'm 100% okay with that. Cheesy as gently caress is fine.

Elderbean posted:

How is Grandia II? Is it worth picking up if I missed out in it originally?

It is a pretty fun combat system tied to a fairly generic story + the general aging of a Dreamcast-era game. It's not a bad JRPG at all and has a solid combat system but it isn't like "must rush out and play."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elderbean posted:

How is Grandia II? Is it worth picking up if I missed out in it originally?

Its a completely solid JRPG with nothing particularly wrong with it and features one of the better twists in JRPGs that everyone remembers*.

*Nobody remembers the follow-up twist thats like an hour later because seriously the first one is just that dope.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

grandia 2 has a battle system so good they spun off a pretty bad dungeon crawler to take advantage of it. i still have a copy of grandia extreme kicking around somewhere i think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its a completely solid JRPG with nothing particularly wrong with it and features one of the better twists in JRPGs that everyone remembers*.

*Nobody remembers the follow-up twist thats like an hour later because seriously the first one is just that dope.

Do you mean "Nobody expects the Granas Inquisition?"

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I really wish they would rerelease skies of arcadia on modern consoles/steam.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Barudak posted:

Apparently the strategy demon hybrid is what Atlus planned to make and Nintendo was like, no, make it a persona.

Its the best of the Persona-formula games in my opinion but I really dont like the persona formula.

Apparently they were all set to make a crossover game and Nintendo said "wait, this is just Fire Emblem with SMT characters. WE could make that. Make something that we can't but Atlus can."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Do you mean "Nobody expects the Granas Inquisition?"

Its the follow-upThat Granas and Valmar were both just people who used technology to become as gods and that Granas was not purely "good" and Valmar only came about as a resistance against them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest thing about grandia extreme will always be them getting a thoroughly mediocre english voice cast with terrible direction and... mark hamill. who is. far and away the best performance in the entire game. like his scenes almost feel like they're from another game because he is so much more interesting and full of life

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

if you ever wanted to hear campbell from MGS play a sassy bird, grandia 2 is your game

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

bad voice acting you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I played through Phantasy Star 2 again a while ago and it really just now occurs to me that it was made by people who were very angry at their bosses.

In retrospect, it's still one of the darkest, most nihilistic games I've ever played. When I was a kid, its themes mostly went over my head, which is probably for the best.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

I haven't clicked this and I already know what it is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That voice acting is amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grandia 2 has some really funny lines at the start the issue is that its meant to be a story about an rear end in a top hat learning to be a decent guy but hes a way more interesting and likable character when hes being a dick

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah game start ryudo whos only kept from being frozen out of society entirely due to being good with a sword is far better than game end ryudo who ditched his personality in favor of trying to bang a nun

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait wasn't the nun evil?

EDIT: Wait I forgot, the nun in the player's party right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agean90 posted:

yeah game start ryudo whos only kept from being frozen out of society entirely due to being good with a sword is far better than game end ryudo who ditched his personality in favor of trying to bang a nun
Yeah it would have been possible to square that circle - still cynical and snarky, but not using pessimism as an excuse not to do the things he knows he can, saving his venom for people who deserve it - but for the most part it feels like he shifts into generic hero mode

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

Wait wasn't the nun evil?

EDIT: Wait I forgot, the nun in the player's party right

The nun is possessed by an evil school marm who is a separate personality.

And yes, Ryudo becomes really, really boring around the 1/2 mark.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Grandia II kicks rear end and is well worth playing, but don't expect it to be anything but a dumbass JRPG from 2000. the character writing is uhhhhh questionable like people have said, but the setting is neat and the combat is great. the voice acting is mostly better than you'd think. if you can get it cheap and are prepared to deal with the lack of QOL stuff from a 20 year old game, i would absolutely do it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

Yeah it would have been possible to square that circle - still cynical and snarky, but not using pessimism as an excuse not to do the things he knows he can, saving his venom for people who deserve it - but for the most part it feels like he shifts into generic hero mode

Imagining ideal grandia 2 where he spends the back half of the game shouting burn it down and kinds and preachers with his friends, naughty nuns 2: demons after dark whos been in an existentially meltdown for the past 10 hours of gameplay and the kid who's secret royalty and always feels super awkward when ryudo goes on a rant but also kinda thinks hes right and his character arc is spent reconciling this

ironically ryudo ends up more hated by certain parts society since he's gone from a greedy dick whose useful to an active threat stability

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm trying to think of RPG protags who start out as a dickhead and become a better, more heroic person but are still kind of a jerk. I think the king of this is Yuri from Shadow Hearts, but I can't think of too many others. I'm realizing that I've played way more JRPGs with silent protags than without.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Crowetron posted:

I'm trying to think of RPG protags who start out as a dickhead and become a better, more heroic person but are still kind of a jerk. I think the king of this is Yuri from Shadow Hearts, but I can't think of too many others. I'm realizing that I've played way more JRPGs with silent protags than without.

Gig

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's not exactly what this is but I like Luke from Tales of the Abyss's character arc. He starts off a tremendous dick, then severely overcorrects into being a total martyr complex idiot before finally balancing himself out by the end of the game. It's unusual to see a protagonist in any game being told "Hey, you're overdoing it on the whole good guy thing. Bring it down a few notches."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I am very ignorant of strategy RPGs. I've only ever finished FFT once and played most of Disgaea 1. I have been told Suikoden doesn't count. World Eaters looks cool, though, I should check out an LP.

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's not exactly what this is but I like Luke from Tales of the Abyss's character arc. He starts off a tremendous dick, then severely overcorrects into being a total martyr complex idiot before finally balancing himself out by the end of the game. It's unusual to see a protagonist in any game being told "Hey, you're overdoing it on the whole good guy thing. Bring it down a few notches."

I thought of Luke, too, but endgame Luke isn't really sassy enough to count, imo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think that applies to a lot of Nippon Ichi games, the protagonists might become better people, but they are still demon overlords.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

did they ever make a sequel to zettai hero project

usually I find nis grinding boring but then when I only need to grind up one character ever and it's a rogue like suddenly it's fun.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wait poo poo gacha is kosher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVKueqKpP00

Most of GBF's music is just okay but there are some real standout bangers in there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Agean90 posted:

thats just like, life

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

I just finished a replay of SH: Covenant today and this is making me laugh ten times as hard because of that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crowetron posted:

I am very ignorant of strategy RPGs. I've only ever finished FFT once and played most of Disgaea 1. I have been told Suikoden doesn't count. World Eaters looks cool, though, I should check out an LP.

soul nomad's normal route is so easy i'd only recommend reading the lp for the different endings and the evil route because that's the only part that's actually difficult

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The post-ending of Grandia 2 does the really stupid thing weak writers love where the protagonist just disappears for a year despite that being nonsensical based on the entire journey leading up to it and their character development and Grandia 2 was the first game I noticed it in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think that applies to a lot of Nippon Ichi games, the protagonists might become better people, but they are still demon overlords.

Exccept for Mao, who is forever terrible

Agean90 posted:

did they ever make a sequel to zettai hero project

usually I find nis grinding boring but then when I only need to grind up one character ever and it's a rogue like suddenly it's fun.

Sorta, Guided Fate Paradox and uhhh..Guided Ultimatum or something on PS3. They're nowhere near as good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Speaking of Grandia, I remember that Grandia 1 got a re-release on the Nintendo Switch. Should I check out that version, or the original PS1 version? I remember that the big issue with Grandia 1 was that it came with a graphical update that looked really bad.

Is Chaos Wars any good? I have no interest in playing it, but this clip is all I've ever seen of the game, and it makes me think that the quality of the game is about on par with the voice acting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played it at around release so the main things I remember about Grandia II are that the OST was pretty good, the combat shouts were funny, and that I thought Millenia way better than the other main girl whose name I don't even remember. (E: Elena maybe?)

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 22, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The main thing I remember about Grandia II is the main villain's name. I called that they were evil the first time they were even mentioned because Pope Zera Innocentius? Are you loving kidding me that's the evillest name I've ever heard!

Oh also, I do like the main plot twist of the game. Religion being evil is nothing new, but I do appreciate the idea of the Pope going crazy because he finds out that not only is God real, but he died a while ago. Much more interesting of a spin than the church just being an evil death cult or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arzaac posted:

The main thing I remember about Grandia II is the main villain's name. I called that they were evil the first time they were even mentioned because Pope Zera Innocentius? Are you loving kidding me that's the evillest name I've ever heard!

Oh also, I do like the main plot twist of the game. Religion being evil is nothing new, but I do appreciate the idea of the Pope going crazy because he finds out that not only is God real, but he died a while ago. Much more interesting of a spin than the church just being an evil death cult or whatever.

I think you're meant to take it as a chosen papal name rather than his actual one, like "Pope John Paul II".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Grandia, I remember that Grandia 1 got a re-release on the Nintendo Switch. Should I check out that version, or the original PS1 version? I remember that the big issue with Grandia 1 was that it came with a graphical update that looked really bad.

Its the exact same game except it fixes the error with learning Time Stop and in exchange made all the graphics ugly. They patched the sprites they missed a few months ago and instead of giving you two graphics options made sure all if the game was the same ugly, so at least its uniform now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arzaac posted:

you know hes evil because of his beady bulging frog eyes when everyone around him is a doe-eyed anime boy. anime phrenology