Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I could be remembering it wrong but I am pretty confident that Grandia 2's final boss is a bright butterfly with the pope's face on its nether regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Artelier posted:

I could be remembering it wrong but I am pretty confident that Grandia 2's final boss is a bright butterfly with the pope's face on its nether regions.

close it's on its chest, concealed behind a yonic membrane that slides back when it attacks

it's actually a pretty strong boss on hard mode

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Artelier posted:

Yeah, it was something like that. Thing had a pretty good battle theme though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29MCpipZTI

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Max Wilco posted:

Is Chaos Wars any good? I have no interest in playing it, but this clip is all I've ever seen of the game, and it makes me think that the quality of the game is about on par with the voice acting.

Chaos Wars is surprisingly decent, but there's so many good SRPGs from that era that it isn't particularly worth your time except as a novelty. the gameplay itself isn't nearly as incompetent as the voice acting, just kind of generic. of course, i didn't get all that far when i played it, and it might fall apart completely in the end game, but overall it was thoroughly unmemorable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Grandia, I remember that Grandia 1 got a re-release on the Nintendo Switch. Should I check out that version, or the original PS1 version? I remember that the big issue with Grandia 1 was that it came with a graphical update that looked really bad.

Is Chaos Wars any good? I have no interest in playing it, but this clip is all I've ever seen of the game, and it makes me think that the quality of the game is about on par with the voice acting.
Eh, the biggest problem with it is the VA and the translation. It's a competent SRPG in the vein Phantom Brave or Makai Wars in gameplay.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Chaos Wars is an Idea Factory SRPG, meaning you need a lot of patience to understand some of the obscure bullshit mechanics (bosses can OHKO your party with overkill damage if they reach a certain damage threshold). It's better than say, the Agarast of War or Generation of Chaos (who the hell besides me played those games?) series, and I'm not saying that because it's a crossover game.

Also the talk about Grandia 2 reminded me that they really want to bury Grandia 3. I don't even remember much about the game except you can fly in airplane and the main character's mom, who looks like she's 16, is a party member.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She looked young, but definitely not in her teens. Also she was way cooler than the main character yet unfortunately she leaves the party really early.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The world was not yet ready for single moms to go on fun fantasy adventures. Perhaps it is still not.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there should be an atelier spinoff game for totori's mom's adventures

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
shin yourmommy tensei: mother summoner

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arzaac posted:

The main thing I remember about Grandia II is the main villain's name. I called that they were evil the first time they were even mentioned because Pope Zera Innocentius? Are you loving kidding me that's the evillest name I've ever heard!

Oh also, I do like the main plot twist of the game. Religion being evil is nothing new, but I do appreciate the idea of the Pope going crazy because he finds out that not only is God real, but he died a while ago. Much more interesting of a spin than the church just being an evil death cult or whatever.

I mean, in real life there have been thirteen popes who took the name Innocent, so that's not really as much of a giveaway as you think. Now, the rest of everything else about him...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This is my favorite track from any Final Fantasy btw

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Prism posted:

I mean, in real life there have been thirteen popes who took the name Innocent, so that's not really as much of a giveaway as you think.

:thunk:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Clarste posted:

The world was not yet ready for single moms to go on fun fantasy adventures. Perhaps it is still not.

Moms' lives are tough.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Guardian's Crusade, known in Japan as Knight & Baby (ナイトアンドベイビー, Naito ando Beibī), is a role-playing video game developed by Tamsoft and released for the PlayStation by Activision in 1999. The gameplay is that of a standard turn based role playing game with non-random encounters. While intended for an adult audience as well, the game was something of an introduction to RPGs for children. The game did not enjoy commercial success.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the ps1 had so many weird jrpgs that somehow got western releases. i was thinking about thousand arms for some reason the other day. also jade cocoon tho thats less obscure. and legend of legaia....

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only thing I remember about DA2 was how awful the end sequence was. Pretty much a completely different game than everything that came before.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

the ps1 had so many weird jrpgs that somehow got western releases. i was thinking about thousand arms for some reason the other day. also jade cocoon tho thats less obscure. and legend of legaia....

I remember being super pissed at Thousand Arms because I was trying to figure out how to get good conversation routes and when I save stated it turns out that responses can be randomised and I just-

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's mostly because they were viewed as having a pretty general appeal despite how weird and niche they really were, and companies like atlus kinda scrambled more for smaller releases than they do these days. it's a shame we never got the really out-there ps1 rpgs like linda cube, crime crackers or gunparade march, though i wonder if the switch release of saturn baroque is gonna give that game a chance to be tled in its original form

it'd be cool if more 6th gen games could get second shots at localizations too, but for some reason i don't think bamco is gonna give us venus and braves: encore. it'd be really cool if they did though, people could find out that drakengard wasn't the first depressing game sawako natori wrote. she did, in fact, also write parts of ridge racer 4

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Prism posted:

I mean, in real life there have been thirteen popes who took the name Innocent, so that's not really as much of a giveaway as you think. Now, the rest of everything else about him...

Those Pope's were all evil too

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Knight and Baby remains one of C--'s favorite RPGs. To this day, she still says she's Queen of the Dresser-Searchers.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The White Dragon posted:

you know hes evil because of his beady bulging frog eyes when everyone around him is a doe-eyed anime boy. anime phrenology

Now this poses an interesting nature vs. nurture anime villain question: do you look like that because you're evil, or are you evil because you look like that?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lord Ephraim posted:

Also the talk about Grandia 2 reminded me that they really want to bury Grandia 3. I don't even remember much about the game except you can fly in airplane and the main character's mom, who looks like she's 16, is a party member.

To this day I dont know why they bothered with bringing in the airplane stuff. It mattered for like...20 minutes of the game and then it's just generic adventure time.

Main character's mom was indeed badass, though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Didn’t she leave the party because she decided she just wanted to shack up with some pirate dude? That seems like pretty good reason to kick your son to the curb so he can go do adventure stuff and leave you be. It’s been a long time since I’ve played Grandia 3.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mandatory lesbian posted:

Those Pope's were all evil too

I was going to say 'no more than any other Pope', but I can't remember what most of them did so that may not be correct.

Instead I will say that every one of them managed to avoid turning into an evil butterfly, which I can be at least mostly sure of.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Prism posted:

I was going to say 'no more than any other Pope', but I can't remember what most of them did so that may not be correct.

Instead I will say that every one of them managed to avoid turning into an evil butterfly, which I can be at least mostly sure of.

Can't say for sure. You know that white smoke that comes out of the vatican chimney? That's their final form evaporating as the plucky adventuring party finishes them off.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Barudak posted:

Its the exact same game except it fixes the error with learning Time Stop and in exchange made all the graphics ugly. They patched the sprites they missed a few months ago and instead of giving you two graphics options made sure all if the game was the same ugly, so at least its uniform now.

What was the error with learning Time Stop?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

Legend of Legaia owned, it's my longshot hope for a surprise PC port

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

What was the error with learning Time Stop?

It required level 99 in two magic skills rather than than the intended level 35 or so, which was impossible to reach without an extreme amount of dedicated grinding

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Clarste posted:

atelier lulua

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

multijoe posted:

It required level 99 in two magic skills rather than than the intended level 35 or so, which was impossible to reach without an extreme amount of dedicated grinding

So then would you recommend the Switch version? In doing a quick search, I found there's also a release for Sega Saturn that you can mod with an English patch and graphical hacks to make it look pretty nice. I dunno if the Saturn version also has the Time Stop bug. I should also say that having never played Grandia, I don't know how essential having the Time Stop spell is. It sounds like there might be a hack/cheat to fix some of the experience bugs, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

I also just realized that's it's also available on PC as well.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the saturn english patch is unfinished. it's the best release visually because the ps1 port's visual changes are largely worse and the rerelease is based off of that, but it's not really going to be an option for at least another year or so

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So then would you recommend the Switch version? In doing a quick search, I found there's also a release for Sega Saturn that you can mod with an English patch and graphical hacks to make it look pretty nice. I dunno if the Saturn version also has the Time Stop bug. I should also say that having never played Grandia, I don't know how essential having the Time Stop spell is. It sounds like there might be a hack/cheat to fix some of the experience bugs, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

I also just realized that's it's also available on PC as well.

Switch version is good. tbh I petered out about halfway through after getting in stuck in a dungeon for about an hour, but the glitch is apparently fixed so Feena can actually do the Thing now

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Any of you cowards playing Hylics 2?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the saturn english patch is unfinished. it's the best release visually because the ps1 port's visual changes are largely worse and the rerelease is based off of that, but it's not really going to be an option for at least another year or so

I see. I also realized that playing the JP Saturn version means I wouldn't be able to hear the goofy English dub (unless they re-recorded everything in the Remastered version.)

multijoe posted:

Switch version is good. tbh I petered out about halfway through after getting in stuck in a dungeon for about an hour, but the glitch is apparently fixed so Feena can actually do the Thing now

I guess I'll check out the Remastered version, then, whenever it goes on sale.

Is there any difference between the Switch or PC versions, or does it just come down to personal preference?

-
Switching gears back to Dragon Age: Origins, I decided to stick with being a mage, but I wanted to ask about specializations. Is there one I should opt for in particular? Arcane Warrior is the one I'm leaning towards based on its description, and unless it's super-powerful, I don't want to take Blood Mage, since that clashes with the setting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arcane Warrior is OP as gently caress. Spirit Healer is also decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
RPG music chat and nobody stunned for FFMQ? Shame on this thread.

This is the right answer though.