Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You also lose your ship if you abandon a shift; watch out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm loving this game and have been playing way too much of it. I've gotten pretty good at the big ship now. Also there's a certain satisfaction in getting the upgrades that let you buy your own stuff. "HA, I'm not paying you for a helmet anymore, eat that, LYNX!"

The one thing I don't like is the current fuel flush mechanic. Feels to me like its the only purely luck-based thing in the game. I have to be lucky enough to find a key, or get lucky to not have the fuel pipe rupture and blow up at least one of my thrusters. I think it's too random when every other catastrophe is actually my fault. I'd love it if there was some other skill based way to perform a manual flush, even if it was complex and took a long time. Then I'd have the option to burn five minutes or whatever doing a manual extraction, or gamble and pull the emergency lever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fuel flushing without a key:
Remove all gas tanks from the aft or pin the aft armor plates to the back wall
Important: for this next step never look behind you.
Quickly and calmly pull all three handles one after the other

First instinct is to stop and watch when you hear the leak but what you want instead is to keep going because once all 3 handles are pulled all leaks just end. Rip the band-aid off.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Slashrat posted:

I really like how the setting hammers home the western frontier vibe. Even interplanetary travel is basically just a railroad composed of massive railgun stations launching ships at 50G into a series of accelerator rings laid out along the route to the destination (Presumably they also slow down the ship after the halfway point)

There's also a datalog about mining asteroids and shipping things back downplanet and someone had the bright idea that instead of this "flying" and "landing" bullshit they just strap everything to a heat shield and deorbit it into the ocean. Retrieving everything is described as someone else's problem, because living on a planet is stupid.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 22, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zedprime posted:

Fuel flushing without a key:
Remove all gas tanks from the aft or pin the aft armor plates to the back wall
Important: for this next step never look behind you.
Quickly and calmly pull all three handles one after the other

First instinct is to stop and watch when you hear the leak but what you want instead is to keep going because once all 3 handles are pulled all leaks just end. Rip the band-aid off.

I tried this but still had a thruster explosion. Maybe I missed a gas tank, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just aim for the bits of ocean that were land masses a century or two ago.

Like the Florida shoals. :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And nothing of value was lost that day.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hardspace: Shipbreaker - Grinder's Blues

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So in case anyone was wondering about the final splitsaw upgrade:
Nanocarbon isn't supposed to turn into scrap when you cut it. The dev team will rectify this issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1161580/discussions/0/2527030866874013626/

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Note to self: Don't go willy-nilly with the splitsaw when slicing cutpoints with flammable cargo nearby.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

So in case anyone was wondering about the final splitsaw upgrade:
Nanocarbon isn't supposed to turn into scrap when you cut it. The dev team will rectify this issue.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1161580/discussions/0/2527030866874013626/

Cool. I'd still prefer a power setting so I don't go chipping off splinters of nano when I'm popping cut-points, but it's only a minimal loss compared to how it is now.

And being able to actually cut nanocarbon without losing massive value will help a ton with those huge aft sections of the Gecko.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just aim for the bits of ocean that were land masses a century or two ago.

If you want to yeet something to earth, you don't aim it at what you want to hit, you have to aim it behind you so it slows down and deorbits.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Its bullshit that the entire game isn't out right now so that I can play this game forever.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope it never comes out and they just add content forever.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Been having a blast with this over the weekend. I definitely agree that industrial Geckos are a thousand times easier to deal with than the transports, simply because most of the interior hull is removed.

Also, if you haven't tried it before, try yanking an attached light fixture into the barge with a fully upgraded tether. It's wasteful as hell but it's also loving hilarious :science:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

threelemmings posted:

There's also a datalog about mining asteroids and shipping things back downplanet and someone had the bright idea that instead of this "flying" and "landing" bullshit they just strap everything to a heat shield and deorbit it into the ocean. Retrieving everything is described as someone else's problem, because living on a planet is stupid.

Oh gently caress that’s genius lmao

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I generally consider tethers to be free, but I think you make a profit of about $58 using one on a light.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
it's a shame aluminum is so worthless because there's something really satisfying about chopping up a Gecko's gutted inner hull in half so it'll fit and then shoving the whole thing into the furnace

I've noticed that furnacing extremely large objects causes the game to absolutely chug, which isn't really a problem, just funny

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Chev posted:

Of course the timing is not so tight that you'd have to wait until it's down to ten seconds but it's quite possible to be in the middle of something. Mayb you just wanted to cut that last couple joints before losing track of where you were.

Also, after the first upgrade, if you go refill as soon as you get the prompt, it's possible to get the timing just wrong and have the second oxygen batch run out right before the shift timer. Also, while the vending machine gives you full refills, you may have noticed the O2 canisters in ships don't, which can mess up your timing even after the second O2 upgrade.

Yeah I mean I'm not saying it's literally impossible to run out of O2 or anything, just once you get the first upgrade there is a window where if you refill it you can't run out for the rest of your shift, and that window becomes even bigger with every upgrade until your oxygen lasts nearly the same length as your shift.

I just don't think you should ever be able to ignore an O2 metre simply because you refilled it at the right time.

Honestly my main issue is how your shift ends, I don't like how it just teleports you back too the habitat.
I know that some people would consider this to be "tedious bullshit" but I think that instead of simply ending the day when your shift ends you get a message saying something like.

"A friendly reminder to all LYNX family members, LYNX doesn't believe in overtime"

At which point all your tools shut down, forcing you too scramble back too the habitat using only your thrusters and whatever O2 and fuel you have left, basically force the player to chose between using the last bit of their shift getting ready to get back to the habitat or getting a last bit of work done and potentially putting themselves in a bad situation.

And having said all this, I'm pretty sure that once you unlock bigger ships they'll increase the shift length for them, making the higher O2 more useful.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

I've noticed that furnacing extremely large objects causes the game to absolutely chug, which isn't really a problem, just funny

This seems to be mostly due to the massive amount of particles spawned by furnacing a lot of stuff at once, since the performance hit is significantly lessened by not looking at the furnace while it vaporizes the structure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

When salvaging a Fuse on the Gecko, this causes the player to launch forward at high speeds, possibly shattering the player's helmet. When this happens, avoid picking it up while it is floating in space, however you can pick it up it is floating near its' spawn point.

lmfao this literally just happened to me and it was the first time i saw a fuse. i was like what the gently caress

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've been able to avoid that bug by anchoring with Z or X before grabbing a fuse. Picked up 30 or so since I started doing it, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 23, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Is there a way to "reel" objects in towards you with the grapple gun without using a tether? RMB either pulls me toward it or does nothing but it'd be nice to reel in smaller objects. Can I anchor with a hand-grab and RMB an object towards me?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can reel in little stuff without moving much. It should work with anything fuel/cryo-tank sized or smaller. Don't hold the reel button down, because helmets are expensive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xaris posted:

Is there a way to "reel" objects in towards you with the grapple gun without using a tether? RMB either pulls me toward it or does nothing but it'd be nice to reel in smaller objects. Can I anchor with a hand-grab and RMB an object towards me?

You can, but the reel pits your mass against the object so it only works on fairly small items. Anchoring with Z/X does help, but still don't count on it to pull anything larger toward you.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Skippy McPants posted:

You can, but the reel pits your mass against the object so it only works on fairly small items. Anchoring with Z/X does help, but still don't count on it to pull anything larger toward you.

when tackling items that are heavier than you, fly backwards a bit, and reel in until you lose all backwards momentum and it should pull towards you at a decent pace.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Ugh, fuses are incredibly buggy. Just tried to pick one up that was floating all by itself, it propelled me backwards and high speeds into the barge and killed me.

I also still can't get those aluminium reactor brackets to stick to the barge. Pretty weird.

I can now get a cargo ship totally salvaged in 3 shifts, not sure if 2 is really possible if you want all the work orders, but I have been getting slightly faster each time. I really can't wait for more ships to be added.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2020

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Getting better at the barge every time. It’s a good idea to detach the nacelles before you release the hull plates they’re on because they act real dangerous if they’re attached when you do. Also the metal requirement for the work order is stupidly massive, I’m also having trouble in just two shifts.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

To the person asking about the rudder vanes on the Gecko, they can be yanked out with the grapple in the same way as antennae and the smaller sensor towers.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
On transport geckos after you peel off the belly plates you can use the needle to just vaporize the aluminum plates under the chairs and then do a charged push to fus do ra them into the barge like 4 to 6 at a time. There is a bit over 500k worth of chairs in the main cabin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it might not actually be worth anything, but carving up a gecko passenger compartment into movable chunks is good fun.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
One thing I would like is a little robot helper buddy who would help organize the barge giving you more room down there.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The barge indeed needs pusher bots to clear everything to one side.

PAK CHOOIE UNF

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Breaking my first Gecko, decided to slice off the entire bottom of the passenger compartment and hurl it towards the barge to salvage the chairs and stuff attached to it, aluminum be damned.

Also whoever was complaining about the back panels of that thing and how much of a bitch they are to get into the processor was right. Sent a few off via tethers and thought they were on course only to look up from working on something else to see them gracefully float into the furnace instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best way i found was to bring them up high using the jacks and then send them to the processor on the opposite side. the furnace loves them too much, so you have to take special care to keep them far away from it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The furnace has approximately a jillion times as much suction as the processor or your tethers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't make a lot of sense for the processors to be the same size as the furnaces. i'm not sure what sort of setup would be better though, since you do still need to use the furnace for the odd work order.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i stick em to the back wall then tether them just in front of the processor and that seems to avoid the furnace and usually gets them into the processor

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Blisster posted:

I also still can't get those aluminium reactor brackets to stick to the barge. Pretty weird.

The things you gotta pull off to get the reactor itself? My game wants me to throw those into the processor, which works fine. However I am told to throw the coolant oven door into the barge, which doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Gotta try to punt that plate into a nice empty 2x2 patch on the barge, IIRC