Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just figured out yesterday that you don't have to hook the first fish that hits your line. :aaa:

Just started VW and why didn't Edelgard maintain a presence at the monastery after winning the battle? You're just going to give up a fortified position that intersects all three regions? :psyduck:

Also, Dmitri is already dead and the Kingdom basically collapsed? I mean, I didn't expect everything to be completely the same, but its way different than CF where Edelgard was struggling to even push the front after five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlternateNu posted:

Also, Dmitri is already dead and the Kingdom basically collapsed? I mean, I didn't expect everything to be completely the same, but its way different than CF where Edelgard was struggling to even push the front after five years.

This is common to all the non-CF routes, and it's why they're all longer than CF: your faction of choice has to claw its way back from the brink against the overwhelmingly powerful Empire.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure???
as far as i know, the only way the DLC is sold is as the expansion pass, one package for 25 bucks. can't find anything that indicates otherwise.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I just figured out yesterday that you don't have to hook the first fish that hits your line. :aaa:

Just started VW and why didn't Edelgard maintain a presence at the monastery after winning the battle? You're just going to give up a fortified position that intersects all three regions? :psyduck:

The front lines had shifted enough it wasn't all that useful anymore.

Also Edelgard's memories of the place aren't as joyous on non-CF routes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Deltasquid posted:

Re: the food: I knew you could buy some foodstuffs at the merchants but I got the impression it was just for the food cooking 1:1 that gives your units a buff for a month, not for sharing meals.

They sell the meat for sure, but I think everything else is stat buff foods.

Deltasquid posted:

I'll check out the DLC then. The story sounds interesting. What does the sauna do and what other activities does it add?

The sauna adds a minigame that gives a learning bonus to Byleth and a student of your choice for the rest of the month. +2 per instruction point for whoever hits the sweetspot, or +4 to both if you get both to hit it. It adds up pretty fast, especially if you're trying to get someone to get better at a skill in which they have a weakness.

I think that's the only activity you get, as in thing that costs activity points. The Abyss DLC adds a bunch of merchants that let you exchange renown for items and items for renown, a merchant that lets you buy support points for renown, and a recycling bin where you can pick up rusted and low-durability items.

The rest is mostly quests and fluff. One DLC adds an extra tier of auxilliary battles with harder enemies and bigger rewards, one gives you a new recruitable character with no supports, but a paralogue that's full of loot, one lets you invite Rhea to tea parties, stuff like that. The Abyss also has a quest that gives you extra hint for the lost items minigame, a bunch of NPCs that have new dialogue between chapters, a second library with forbidden lore, and an NPC that comments on your characters' stat growths, stuff like that.

AlternateNu posted:

The in-game explanation for this, as far as I can tell, is that Edelgard didn't call on Those Who Slither in the Dark when attacking the monastary if she had Byleth on her side. This puts her in a weaker position at the time of your return, but also lets her keep them at arm's length.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Haha, one of my favourite things that arose in my play just now was the tearful farewell between Ferdinand and the other commander being caused by Ashe of all people slaying him with a volley. Sweet Ashe!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

McTimmy posted:

The front lines had shifted enough it wasn't all that useful anymore.

It still doesn't make sense because they hadn't conquered the border Alliance territories in central Fodlan, so there was still a vector of attack from non-Imperial forces.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The in-game explanation for this, as far as I can tell, is that Edelgard didn't call on Those Who Slither in the Dark when attacking the monastary if she had Byleth on her side. This puts her in a weaker position at the time of your return, but also lets her keep them at arm's length.

This makes sense. I don't look forward to seeing what deals-with-the-devil Edel had to make to get that far. :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlternateNu posted:

It still doesn't make sense because they hadn't conquered the border Alliance territories in central Fodlan, so there was still a vector of attack from non-Imperial forces.

They didn't conquer the border territories, that part of the Alliance turned quisling and has sided with the Empire. The pro-independence part of the Alliance is concentrated around Derdriu far to the east.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

This makes sense. I don't look forward to seeing what deals-with-the-devil Edel had to make to get that far. :ohdear:

The connected areas to Garreg Mach were Gloucester and Charon. Gloucester joins the fold and Charon is neutral. So any incursions into the Alliance... just use Gloucester territory which is simply better for all avenues of attack.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

You cannot buy the DLC waves individually. I wanted to buy only wave 4 after it came out, but there was no option.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

seriously? lol

ive never done the route just looked it up online since i didnt feel like doing a 4th playthrough, but i assumed from her having a support she was playable. my bad then

Literally you have to get her to A support in white clouds and then she'll be an S support option come endgame.

the s support is cute at least

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Literally you have to get her to A support in white clouds and then she'll be an S support option come endgame.

the s support is cute at least

lol never heard that s support referred to as cute before

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there any purpose to the greyed out gifts like the letter from Dimitri or the tactics primer?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

snoremac posted:

Is there any purpose to the greyed out gifts like the letter from Dimitri or the tactics primer?

They are gifts to you.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

McTimmy posted:

They are gifts to you.
I know. Can I do anything with them or are they just there to look at?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mortal Savant Lysithea is a goddamn blender. :stare:

She singlehandedly took out almost half the map by drawing 7 enemies towards her and just Nosferatu-ing them for full refills. (Plus, shoutout to Raphael for guarding her twice.)

Tiny Murder Machiiiiiine!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

she could do that just as well in literally any magic class since mortal savant doesn't buff nosferatu in any way. more on her than the class, really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This game has a problem with class redundancy in general, since there's so many characters and anyone can be any class, but mortal savant is one of those classes I just haven't figured out a purpose for. Hybrid classes can be excellent in this game - I always have an assassin in my teams, and warmaster is obvious - but mortal savant's speed penalty is just... why, and while I've done games with mortal savants (Byleth, Sylvain, and Ingrid can all do it reasonably well), I felt it never added anything a levin sword didn't do just as well.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

she could do that just as well in literally any magic class since mortal savant doesn't buff nosferatu in any way. more on her than the class, really.

Yeah, but having a move of 6 is pretty nice for zipping around the map.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cythereal posted:

This game has a problem with class redundancy in general, since there's so many characters and anyone can be any class, but mortal savant is one of those classes I just haven't figured out a purpose for. Hybrid classes can be excellent in this game - I always have an assassin in my teams, and warmaster is obvious - but mortal savant's speed penalty is just... why, and while I've done games with mortal savants (Byleth, Sylvain, and Ingrid can all do it reasonably well), I felt it never added anything a levin sword didn't do just as well.
I think being the only class with both a magical and physical faire is just barely a big enough niche for mortal savant to establish itself.

You're right about the levin sword though. now that I think about it, I feel like the magic weapons might be a bit too good and accessible in 3H. Having 3 range on them makes so many other options just clearly inferior and/or not worth the effort. I think i'd be okay if you couldn't forge any of them like you can't the arrow of indra, and just got one of each as treasure in a playthrough. And they might want a higher weapon level as well. Aura knuckles are A rank for some reason already!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I was wondering about Aura Knuckles. I obviously haven't had a chance to use everyone, but is there someone who's actually geared to be a punchy mage?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Constance has a latent talent in Brawling, and I think the idea there is to make her an aura knuckles war cleric. Byleth also comes with the appropriate talents, but probably would still favor the physical side of things. I don't think there's anyone who has the defensive stats to be a frontliner and enough magic over strength to want to use Aura Knuckles, but most mages with a bit of speed can be reasonable switch hitters with them.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I was wondering about Aura Knuckles. I obviously haven't had a chance to use everyone, but is there someone who's actually geared to be a punchy mage?

Byleth and Balthus for sure. I guess Felix can sub that way. Or Constance if you want to be very silly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McTimmy posted:

Byleth and Balthus for sure. I guess Felix can sub that way. Or Constance if you want to be very silly.

If you don't mind being silly, Sylvain as an aura knuckle Warmaster is certainly an idea. He has the axe strength to make getting there easier, and his MAG is plausible.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cythereal posted:

If you don't mind being silly, Sylvain as an aura knuckle Warmaster is certainly an idea. He has the axe strength to make getting there easier, and his MAG is plausible.

Yeah, I can see that. I ended up making Sylvain a Dark Knight in this playthrough, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I was gonna suggest maybe this is Lorenz's real niche but lol of course his only weakness is in punching.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lorenz's niche is being the worst spread of stats while also being one of two units in a corner of a mandatory trap mission, alongside goddamn Ignatz

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Amppelix posted:

I think being the only class with both a magical and physical faire is just barely a big enough niche for mortal savant to establish itself.

You're right about the levin sword though. now that I think about it, I feel like the magic weapons might be a bit too good and accessible in 3H. Having 3 range on them makes so many other options just clearly inferior and/or not worth the effort. I think i'd be okay if you couldn't forge any of them like you can't the arrow of indra, and just got one of each as treasure in a playthrough. And they might want a higher weapon level as well. Aura knuckles are A rank for some reason already!

I'd really prefer they not balance the classes by nerfing the magic weapons. Especially for characters like Annette, Flayn or Marianne, where taking them through a Flying path really gets much harder without a Bolt Axe or Levin Sword.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's why i said you should only have less of them instead of making them weaker.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lorenz is born to be the Golden Deer's dancer, imo. He's flexible about physical or magic, as is the FETH dancer itself, so he can provide swing combat assistance when you don't need him dancing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Woah. Dorothea really takes killing Ferdinand at the bridge hard. Like, she was always down on the war, in general, but when you have her killing other Eagles. :stare:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

Woah. Dorothea really takes killing Ferdinand at the bridge hard. Like, she was always down on the war, in general, but when you have her killing other Eagles. :stare:

Now talk to Linhardt lol, I seem to remember he's like... the opposite

"I didn't like him when he was alive, why should I speak nicely about him now he's dead?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1275116080919228416

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

Lorenz's niche is being the worst spread of stats while also being one of two units in a corner of a mandatory trap mission, alongside goddamn Ignatz

At least Ignatz pulls his weight on Maddening. His big accuracy bonus and weapon arts are fantastic in part 1, just as long as he can get some help getting over his middling Strength.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I wish there were more moments like this, considering half the game is killing people you knew.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thinking of doing a new Golden Deer run. It was my first run so Claude is the only Lord without maxed supports. Thinking about Dancer Lorenz, Dark Mage Ignatz, Mortal Savant Lysithia and Pegasus Marianne. Could be fun times.

I'm really leaning into Hard Classic, no Renown or Divine Pulse just to see how well I do.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this picture is so fuckin goofy I love it

https://twitter.com/LILINAS_BOY2/status/1275120560981360640

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Amppelix posted:

that's why i said you should only have less of them instead of making them weaker.

I was mainly objecting to the suggestion of making them require more weapon ranks and/or be unforgeable. I can get on board with making them rarer, forcing you to carefully consider when they are used.

Really though I'd like to see them do more to incentivise people to take a class like Mortal Savant by tweaking it's bonuses or abilities, or work to differentiate a 3 range spell from an upgraded Levin Sword, before tinkering with the sword itself.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean if we're talking three houses balance we need to discuss wyvern riders/lords before literally anything else because that is a disaster of a class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I got up to the war between the three houses at the field and don't get why the Alliance and Kingdom (me) are fighting each other. The talk beforehand seems to indicate Claude is trying to capitalise on your position between him and Edlegard, but when he arrives he says "It looks like the Kingdom don't want to stick with us." Is it a simple miscommunication? It's a bit daft if so.