Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, my 2012 Mini and 2010 4.1 5.1 cMP aren't on Catalina by choice, while my 2015 rMBP is on Catalina since I wanted to give it a chance but I hate it.

Yeah Catalina is terrible. I regretted upgrading.

It sucks more because I didn't find out about T2 locking out Linux until after I bought my 2018 rMBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s OSX 11 you dummies. And you pronounce it “Oh-Es-Ex”.

(man alive, never thought I’d see a MacOS 11)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/apple-turns-macos-up-to-11---or-to-1016

According to developers who got Big Sur betas, they're reporting it's numbered 10.16.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rabid Snake posted:

Yeah Catalina is terrible. I regretted upgrading.

It sucks more because I didn't find out about T2 locking out Linux until after I bought my 2018 rMBP.

Catalina really is a dumpster fire. I wish I could downgrade my 16" to Mojave.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I run both Catalina and Mojave on separate NVMe SSDs on my 13-inch rMBP 2015.

The SSDs are identical, Inland Premium 1 TB SSDs (the old E12 versions not the new E12S.)

The laptop tends to crash/lockup a lot more on Catalina than it does when booted from Mojave.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Brain Issues posted:

Catalina really is a dumpster fire. I wish I could downgrade my 16" to Mojave.
they've been prepping this for a while and hardly anyone will notice the change to apple chips 64bit.

be brave and join the ArmBook Catalina Army( no bootcamp)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

My favorite part about Catalina is when I had to go through all the Windows Vista permission requests again after using Migration Assistant to go from my late-2013 13" rMBP to my new 16"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

they've been prepping this for a while and hardly anyone will notice the change to apple chips 64bit.

be brave and join the ArmBook Catalina Army( no bootcamp)

apple dropped support for 32-bit apps in catalina. big sir doesn't drop support for anything.

bootcamp works fine with catalina

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

apple dropped support for 32-bit apps in catalina. big sir doesn't drop support for anything.

bootcamp works fine with catalina
You weren't talking about Bir Sur. You were talking about ARM Macs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Personally I'll probably wait and buy the last Intel-based Mac Pro they'll release, and just use it until security updates are dropped, upgrading it as much as possible as I've done with my 2010 cMP.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

xarph posted:

Children, there was once a glorious time of peace. A peace of 15 or so years, between the fall from grace of IBM, to the fall of Intel32-bit and OpenGL/Vulkan, that macs could play games.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can never play Metal Gear Rising on Macos again and it’s unforgivable

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ugh I hope there's at least one more refresh of the 13/15 inch MacBook Pros with X86.

Our office is all Apple for and I've been using an early 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro for work for ages. Despite the fact it's been literally falling apart I've been putting off asking for my overdue upgrade because I just can't work with the butterfly keyboards. Like anytime I have to use a coworker's laptop, typing just feels so wrong and I get frustrated. Well that and dongle hell loving sucks when your role involves regularly connecting to USB 3.1 and HDMI sources.

I was really hoping they'd announce a 13-inch model with the new keyboard (the keys are a bigger issue, I guess I can live with dongles if I'm forced to) but having to use ARM and depend on emulation? I'm pretty worried about that.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 23, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Any new x86 product they release in the next two years is dead in the water in terms of sales.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

2020 Airs for $150 off MSRP in the Apple Refurb Store

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/macbook-air

The identical MBA 2020 i5/512GB/16GB RAM configuration I just ordered from Apple education is $110 cheaper on the Apple refurb store. The refurb model ships a week sooner than my machine too. gently caress. I did get free AirPods which I gave to my sister though, so way too much effort to refund all of this... :sigh:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Any new x86 product they release in the next two years is dead in the water in terms of sales.
Multiple people in this thread have expressed plans to buy the newest best Intel machine they can and ride out the rollout of ARM support. Also on the other side of things, your average consumer has no idea about the architecture or processor in the MacBook that they buy. They just buy whatever the newest one is. I think they'll be fine.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ugh I hope there's at least one more refresh of the 13/15 inch MacBook Pros with X86.

Our office is all Apple for and I've been using an early 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro for work for ages. Despite the fact it's been literally falling apart I've been putting off asking for my overdue upgrade because I just can't work with the butterfly keyboards. Like anytime I have to use a coworker's laptop, typing just feels so wrong and I get frustrated. Well that and dongle hell loving sucks when your role involves regularly connecting to USB 3.1 and HDMI sources.

I was really hoping they'd announce a 13-inch model with the new keyboard (the keys are a bigger issue, I guess I can live with dongles if I'm forced to) but having to use ARM and depend on emulation? I'm pretty worried about that.

They released 13” pros with the new keyboard just a few weeks ago.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

You weren't talking about Bir Sur. You were talking about ARM Macs.

Correct.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

the Osborne Effect.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

the Osborne Effect.

Kind of? Except the new product on the horizon is going to be a side- or even downgrade for many purposes. And you've going to have x86 holdouts who will want the last models available that will work with Windows and games.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I bought the first Intel iMac in January 2006 and it was a great machine... but Rosetta apps were awful and a lot of applications effectively just bit the dust.

This transition should be smoother but I'd wait for at least the second round of machines. Will be interesting to see concrete numbers for battery life for the Macbook.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

American McGay posted:

Multiple people in this thread have expressed plans to buy the newest best Intel machine they can and ride out the rollout of ARM support. Also on the other side of things, your average consumer has no idea about the architecture or processor in the MacBook that they buy. They just buy whatever the newest one is. I think they'll be fine.

Sure professionals know what they want but they don't make up the majority of mac sales. Maybe Apple will do an update to the Mac Pro or something but definitely won't be touching the laptops again until the ARMs are ready. They talk about WWDC on mainstream places like CNN so I think a lot more of the average people are informed about changes at Apple than at any other tech company. I mean if HP announces a new laptop nobody gives a gently caress. But something like this is big news on TV.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

the Osborne Effect.

I mean yeah pretty much. I was waiting to see if this announcement was true to determine if I'd buy a Mac laptop or not for returning to school and it is, so I won't be. I don't want an effectively EOLed product fresh out of the box, yes it'll be good for some number of years but a laptop is way too much money for planned obsolescence to be a thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

I mean yeah pretty much. I was waiting to see if this announcement was true to determine if I'd buy a Mac laptop or not for returning to school and it is, so I won't be. I don't want an effectively EOLed product fresh out of the box, yes it'll be good for some number of years but a laptop is way too much money for planned obsolescence to be a thing.
What's going to be obsolete about a 2020 Intel Mac?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

American McGay posted:

What's going to be obsolete about a 2020 Intel Mac?

that it definitely has a defined end of life consisting of whenever Apple decides to stop providing services for it? let alone the third party developers, etc etc. Like yes, you can argue this is a thing for any Mac, or any computer, nothing lasts forever. Vintage Macs have been a thing in Apple's support database for decades, I get it. But I don't want to ride the back end of a platform switch, I'd rather just get something that Just Works now and will until I get tired of it, not when Apple or whoever decides to stop supporting it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arivia posted:

that it definitely has a defined end of life consisting of whenever Apple decides to stop providing services for it? let alone the third party developers, etc etc. Like yes, you can argue this is a thing for any Mac, or any computer, nothing lasts forever. Vintage Macs have been a thing in Apple's support database for decades, I get it. But I don't want to ride the back end of a platform switch, I'd rather just get something that Just Works now and will until I get tired of it, not when Apple or whoever decides to stop supporting it.

How long do you expect to daily that laptop for?

Apple generally operates on a ~six year support policy when it comes to stuff like OS updates, and machines continue to get security updates as needed after that.

So let’s say Apple stops supporting your 2020 Mac with OS updates a few years after the last Intel Mac ships. Is it going to suddenly brick itself because your OS is 2 or even 3 years out of date? (And mind you this ending is probably like at least five years after the last Intel mac)

There are goons posting here on OSX Mountain Lion and Mavericks and on C2D machines that definitely haven’t gotten a new OS in years. My parents daily drive a 2009 iMac that is running whatever its very last OS is (I think Yosemite?)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 23, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

They released 13” pros with the new keyboard just a few weeks ago.

Thank god. Guess I'll be getting work to order me one once people are back in the office post-pandemic (whenever the hell that'll be).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Thank god. Guess I'll be getting work to order me one once people are back in the office post-pandemic (whenever the hell that'll be).

Are you WFH? shouldn’t they be getting you one now?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/22/waterfield-designs-saddle-turns-the-mac-pro-into-a-workhorse

Yeah, just what the Mac Pro needed, something to make it uglier. Even better, it costs less than a set of wheels ($400)

xarph posted:

Children, there was once a glorious time of peace. A peace of 15 or so years, between the fall from grace of IBM, to the fall of Intel, that macs could play games.

On the other hand, being able to directly run iPad apps means that the assorted games from that will also become part of the Mac gaming library, at least if devs can harmonize input methods (which might explain part of the push for iPad mouse support).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 23, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are you WFH? shouldn’t they be getting you one now?

My old one still works but I'm down to around...half of the screws left in the bottom and the bottom plate is sort of lifting off on one side and it's full of dents. Between the fact it's 7 years old probably also explains why it's running so hot.

But yeah given its functional it wouldn't be enough of a priority for me to get one shipped to my home immediately. I was offered the option to upgrade last year but I was holding out for them to at least fix the keyboards because a dented, volcano hot MBP 2013 still beats the pants off those awful butterfly keyboards.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Roadie posted:

On the other hand, being able to directly run iPad apps means that the assorted games from that will also become part of the Mac gaming library, at least if devs can harmonize input methods (which might explain part of the push for iPad mouse support).

Yeah this is the big sell for me and I’m almost 100% gonna get the first gen one (obviously not the first week). iOS gaming is pretty drat good and looks pretty drat good too.

I was watching a video a few days ago and the dolphin iOS emulator (GameCube and wii games) blows the android version out of the water and it’s not even worked on by that many people.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My old one still works but I'm down to around...half of the screws left in the bottom and the bottom plate is sort of lifting off on one side and it's full of dents. Between the fact it's 7 years old probably also explains why it's running so hot.

But yeah given its functional it wouldn't be enough of a priority for me to get one shipped to my home immediately. I was offered the option to upgrade last year but I was holding out for them to at least fix the keyboards because a dented, volcano hot MBP 2013 still beats the pants off those awful butterfly keyboards.

Dude get your work to send you a new computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh god I looked at Big Sur and now I’m loving terrified that apple’s gonna round off the corners on all of their upcoming displays

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

Catalina is fully supported on 8 year old Macs.

You’ll be fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Intel's got shitballs of money and are literally selling every chip they can produce. They're not in a good spot, but they've got time.
I remember the last time Intel seemed hosed, around 2005. It didn't last

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

Catalina is fully supported on 8 year old Macs.

You’ll be fine.

To be fair, OS X support for PPC support only lasted for *checks notes* 5 years after the last PPC-based Mac was shipped. If the last Intel Mac is shipped in late 2021/early 2022, I'd take until 2026/2027 for OS updates.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

To be fair, OS X support for PPC support only lasted for *checks notes* 5 years after the last PPC-based Mac was shipped. If the last Intel Mac is shipped in late 2021/early 2022, I'd take until 2026/2027 for OS updates.

There were exponentially fewer PPC OSX Macs in the Wild in 2010 than there are Intel Macs running in 2020.

And at least for the next few years there are probably also going to be way less dramatic incentives for people to dump their old computers or upgrade to new ones like there were for PPC users switching to Intel Macs by the time support was pulled.

Somebody using a PPC Mac in 2010 would be upgrading to a much bigger and higher res display, a unibody chassis, much faster internet and WiFi capability, and other major QoL improvements. And PPC/early Intel Macs were in many cases quirky or less-than-optimal in construction or longevity. Lots of plastic pieces failing or breaking, or yellowing and cracking by 2010. Heat issues in many models. Plus you’re talking about HDDs and optical media drives, many of which failed and prompted their owners to consider replacing them instead of repairing them in the first place.

Compare that to today and Macs are substantially more durable. Hell, even the earlier unibody models from the early 2010s can easily put up with a solid decade of use and come out looking relatively unscathed.

I wouldn’t put it past Apple cutting off OS updates after five years, but also the conditions have changed pretty dramatically since 2010.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ARM Macs are going to blow Intel Macs out of the water in performance, battery life, heat, everything. Even for ordinary users, the differences will be substantial enough to motivate a switch, I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ARM Macs are going to blow Intel Macs out of the water in performance, battery life, heat, everything. Even for ordinary users, the differences will be substantial enough to motivate a switch, I think.

With how powerful the iPad Pro is I absolutely agree with this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think so too, but it’s like how cars have gotten more durable and consistent too. If the carrot’s tasty enough then sure, they’ll bite if they can afford to, but there isn’t the proverbial stick of their old machine biting the dust or becoming a relative pain to use to push them.

Aside from the likelihood that ARM Mac Pro is gonna have a soldered-on CPU instead of sockets I’m so so hype for what MKBHD incredibly awkwardly called Apple’s “great transition”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So switching to ARM is basically going to kill gaming on Macs right? Not that I endorse gaming on Macs.