Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Greg12 posted:

My most-hated ADV rider thread is the 600-page argument about whether they have the right to kill bicyclists on the road or whether they have the duty to kill bicyclists on the road.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/bicycles-on-the-road.733233/
It has hundreds of posts of people who are pretending to now know how to drive. "What am I supposed to do when I come upon a bicyclist!? Slow to 4mph until there's a turn-out or legal passing lane? I have no choice but to run them off the road into a ditch!"

I like how the first few posts seem fine, so I guess someone with a real question got real answers before other folks slid in like Kramer to fantasize about vehicular manslaughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it's not turned on at the time - almost certainly yes. If it *is* turned on, then probably still yes, because of the short, convoluted wiring runs meaning the pulse won't be able to induce much current. More modern bikes *may* have a problem from the magnetic effects causing corruption in the flash memory on the ECU but that needs "multiple lightning strikes directly on the bike" levels of power required, at which point you probably have other problems to worry about.

I didn't expect a serious answer to this. Thanks for taking the time! That's really cool to know. :D

Greg12 posted:

My most-hated ADV rider thread is the 600-page argument about whether they have the right to kill bicyclists on the road or whether they have the duty to kill bicyclists on the road.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/bicycles-on-the-road.733233/
It has hundreds of posts of people who are pretending to not know how to drive. "What am I supposed to do when I come upon a bicyclist!? Slow to 4mph until there's a turn-out or legal passing lane? I have no choice but to run them off the road into a ditch!"

So weird that advrider would argue about this given they are a 2 wheel community. Firstly, motorcyclists arent impacted at all by bicycles because you can share the lane with them with plenty of room. Secondly, I'm sure we have all experienced an SUV driver try to swerve us off the road or otherwise kill us for *reasons*, so why want to do that to others.

When I'm in a car it's annoying to get slowed up by a bicycle, but ugh whatever. Share the road and all that. Everyone should mountain bike anyways.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I always give 'em "the wave" even though I can barely be assed to raise two left fingers for another motorcycle. Same for scooters; they both get way more of a kick out of being included.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You are doing the lords work.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I dream of the day when I can warn a motorcyclist about a speed trap by slapping either my bicycle helmet or the roof of my car.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Before I rode and knew what that was, and was into boy racer cars, I had a motorcyclist do that to me. I slowed down because I didn't know what the motion meant, and sure enough I avoided a speed trap on the next rise. I've always done it since, and I hope it helped someone.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I reserve my biggest, goofiest, most enthusiastic waves for Harley riders. Especially in groups. Their disdain nourishes me.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Greg12 posted:

I dream of the day when I can warn a motorcyclist about a speed trap by slapping either my bicycle helmet or the roof of my car.

It's a good feeling initially followed by anxiety that they didn't understand and will be prey

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

I've done that and got a nod back! It felt so good you guys

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The most thorough discussion of pre 2014 LC4 tuning with TuneECU is on advrider. I have sent myself to hell.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

The most thorough discussion of pre 2014 LC4 tuning with TuneECU is on advrider. I have sent myself to hell.

The Code Orange build thread with tuning and SAS delete instructions was a godsend when I had the 690. As were the companion TuneECU threads. Go forth in peace.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Thankfully it seems like the majority of the tuning advice is "use the Evo 1 map and add fuel trim to taste" with a little of "here are my custom throttle maps no you can't have the hex file you have to type them all in manually."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's the great thing about ADVRider. It's the biggest repository of moto knowledge on the internet, and there's basically no bike ever to exist that hasn't been discussed there somewhere. Most models have at least a few greybeards that know all that's worth knowing. It's also a good place to get deals on parts and bikes and stuff, because cranky boomers will often cut you a deal just for negotiating through the forum rather than craigslist or facebook. I traded a bike on there for a killer deal and just got an awesome deal on a set of wheels, tires, rotors, and bearings from a local guy.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

For sale 2018 BMW S1000XR premium with extras East TX

$14,500

My midlife crises is over and bike is now for sale. 681 total miles with 600 mile service just completed. Extras include puig windshield, heli bars, bmw 5 navigator, givi tank bag, givi crashbars (not installed), givi radiator guard, shad top box(58x expandable) and 36 liter side boxes. Never wrecked. Only scratch is on muffler where I scraped it with my mower and shown in pics. Other than that it looks showroom new. Eastern Texas.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

might be a sad story if it was something besides a BMW

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That is entirely too much goddamn money to go 600 miles.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The "midlife crisis" thing is so weird and bad. And to use it as a personal excuse for something is just the most lame thing ever. "I bought this sports car because I finally have enough money and free time to get the things I've always wanted" is fine and good and great. It's a shame a life needs to be wasted in the 9-5 to get a paltry boat/car/motorcycle, but whatever. Don't ridicule someone for getting what they want and earned.

But to say "waaah you know I was dumb and had an idea that I wanted to be and do cool things, but that was dumb and I want to go back to being boring until I die" is just so wrong. At the very least, just say you bought the thing because you wanted the cool thing, but found that the hobby wasn't for you. That's okay. Motorcycles are dangerous and it's ok to set personal limits.

If you are actually having a "crisis" because you fear a loss of life enjoyment, or fear impending death, or feel a loss of control, that's totally real and you should talk to a doctor/therapist. Don't brush it away.

Screaming at clouds here, I know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Both my parents died in their 50s so I decided life is too short to wait until you're middle-aged to do all the fun poo poo you dream about. Just do it now and enjoy it and deal with the future when it happens. You'll never be as young as you are today, and the longer you wait the greater the chance that you'll be bitter or decrepit or dead when you finally get around to living your life.

I may not own a house or have as big a 401k as some of my friends, but I'm the only one who can ride a motorcycle down to the airport on sunday morning and hop in a plane and fly myself to Petaluma for breakfast.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Sagebrush posted:

Both my parents died in their 50s so I decided life is too short to wait until you're middle-aged to do all the fun poo poo you dream about. Just do it now and enjoy it and deal with the future when it happens. You'll never be as young as you are today, and the longer you wait the greater the chance that you'll be bitter or decrepit or dead when you finally get around to living your life.

I may not own a house or have as big a 401k as some of my friends, but I'm the only one who can ride a motorcycle down to the airport on sunday morning and hop in a plane and fly myself to Petaluma for breakfast.

Get this printed on a t-shirt. It's how I try to operate anyway and luckily my partner is incredibly supportive (but also happy in her career)

Go out and ride bikes

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

for sale: crash bars, never used

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I slid into my midlife crisis without realizing it. I realized I'd kind of just let 10 and 20 years accumulate just sitting at my desk job having nothing to show for it with respect to my happiness. My midlife crisis is entirely centred around the bike and travel abroad, and seeing as how statistically I only have like 20 years (or less, now that the bike is in the mix :q: ) left to make myself as fulfilled as I can I don't feel bad in the least about having my midlife crisis be what sparked my love affair with my brand of fulfilment :)

If tomorrow I fly off the bike and decide it's not worth the danger then I'll still have been grateful I did it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

If tomorrow I fly off the bike and decide it's not worth the danger then I'll still have been grateful I did it.

Alternatively you can fly off the bike and feel joy about how you now get to purchase a replacement.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

Strife posted:

Alternatively you can fly off the bike and feel joy about how you now get to purchase a replacement.

This is what I did. Sure I lost my 1190 in a horrible accident that nearly killed me, but I bought a newer 1190 R! Which is great because the R does way better on all the gravel and non-maintained dirt roads that I have nearby to play on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Convincing the significant other

OP posted:

i've made my mind up that in my current situation a GS is the right choice as my next daily vehicle (and second "car" for the household)

I work largely at home or walk to work. we've been getting buy with 1 car the missus's for a while and sold my last car 3 years ago. borrowing a car when a second has been needed. (that borrowing option has now come to an end which has precipitated the need for another form of transport)

i want to do the touratech rallye, other PNW rides and do some trips around the US/mexico.

what tips and tricks did you fine folks use to articulate the virtues of this pathway!?

Some choice replies:

quote:

There are prescribed techniques for getting what you want.... (these are the skill level one and two techniques. Skill levels three and four are classified)

Bull-through technique: Just do it an consquences be damned. Like when a tank company encounters a minefield, some times the best solution is put your ear plugs in an go through it. WARNING.... Consquences can be sever!

Safety technique: Explain that you are doing what you want to do to increase your/her safety. Explain that what you have is a piece of crap. Difficult to pull-off when buying a motorcycle, but an excellent way to get a new helmet.

Erosion technique: Just wear her down. Involves you at times seeming whiney and may take years. It may require you to become a whimpy little snot, but hey, a pity fu#K is still a fu#k.

Pile-on technique: Wait until she is exceptionally angry with you.... I mean throwing, spitting, cursing mad. That is the time to strike, she can't get any more angry... can she? Announce that you have acquired the new item (GS) just after the make-up sex for the underlying offense (it may be the last sex you have for quite sometime). WARNING: Just maybe she can get more angry, use this technique only when desperate.

Get her involved technique: My personal favorite. Get her started with paticipating in the activity. Be it motorcycles, SnoGos, skydiving or golf, intoduce her to the things you like to do. This has resulted in great success for me. Soon the SU is surprising you with a new GSA. WARNING... Risk of great expense. Before you know it the Spousal Unit has more and newer bikes, SnoGos and golf clubs than you do.

One final warning..... Spousal Units tend to be quick learners and will use these techniques to get what they want. (Remember they have the ultimate technique at their disposal, the withhold technique) For a mere $500 you can enroll in my online seminar on defensive techniques, and get a free copy of my latest book, "Riding Celibate".

Three different posters posted:

Better to ask forgiveness than permission

quote:

There is a reason women are often referred to as 'dream killers'.
But we allow them to become that.
She's not your mommy. If it isn't a financial burden and provides needed transportation, do it. Would she balk if it were a car?
Life is short. Don't be the guy who dies wishing he had bought the bike.

quote:

I call for divorce. Life is short, then you are dead
The warranty is up at 72
Ride Ride Ride!

quote:

quote:

Not so with a probably/potentially old/raggedy/wrecked vehicle like a used motorcycle. Motos are typically depreciating liabilities, vs assets.
that could be said if some spouses as well.

quote:

Ask for Forgiveness after purchase. Do not ask for permission as you know what the answer will be. There will be a fight either way. Might as well have a bike to make it worth it. Don't forget about makeup sex!

Of course I am divorced twice so don't take any marital advice from me! LOL

Rick G

I think at least 5-6 guys mentioning some version of "my current wife."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just typed "bmw gs msrp" into google. Hey guys, we need a second vehicle, so I'd like to take a twenty k plunge into a new hobby, but how to fool mai waife?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

this is definitely a phrase my intestinal tract has said about an hour and a half after pizza dinner

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's the same basic result I got, too!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Consquences can be sever!

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
:stare: Straight people, are y'all ok?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It reads like an unfunny joke, but it's not a joke, is it?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just one long streak of spousal emotional abuse.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've ranted about it before, but ADVRider is just chock full of petulant manchildren who storm into any remotely related thread about wives, bikes, and money, loudly proclaiming that they don't need their wife's permission to buy whatever they want and and their bitch of an ex-wife understands that now. There's always a handful in those threads who say "hey, it's probably a really good idea to discuss the purchase of expensive dangerous toys in a thoughtful way with your life partner and not permanently turn your favorite hobby into a resentful battle," but those guys never get much attention.

I've always checked in with my wife about bike purchases and even sales and trades, even though I was riding before we were together. Every time things look like they might get financially tight, or when she got pregnant, I've offered to get rid of all the bikes and put the hobby aside as long as necessary. When our daughter was born, I parked the bike on the tender for nearly a year and didn't even touch it till we were on a sort of normal sleep schedule again. If I want to go for a ride that's not a commute, I always ask if she minds if I'm gone for a few hours. And to this day, we've never once had even a small disagreement over them because I make sure she knows our relationship is more important than my money pit of a hobby.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My ex-wife thought bikes were cool and always encouraged me to get one.

Which bike forum does that slot me into? :ohdear:

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Oh yeah, definitely. If anyone wants to go for a wild ride, there's a COVID thread that started right as qurantine did. I desperately wish there was a comparably large community to go to for 690 info besides advrider and thumper talk, both of which are real hostile to queer folk.

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, i think that means you're stuck here :(

edit: If anyone want to see pages and pages of boomers clutching their pearls over a "boomer remover" joke, the fun starts here

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 1, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Man what a bunch of insufferable shitlords in that thread.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've ranted about it before, but ADVRider is just chock full of petulant manchildren who storm into any remotely related thread about wives, bikes, and money, loudly proclaiming that they don't need their wife's permission to buy whatever they want and and their bitch of an ex-wife understands that now. There's always a handful in those threads who say "hey, it's probably a really good idea to discuss the purchase of expensive dangerous toys in a thoughtful way with your life partner and not permanently turn your favorite hobby into a resentful battle," but those guys never get much attention.

I've always checked in with my wife about bike purchases and even sales and trades, even though I was riding before we were together. Every time things look like they might get financially tight, or when she got pregnant, I've offered to get rid of all the bikes and put the hobby aside as long as necessary. When our daughter was born, I parked the bike on the tender for nearly a year and didn't even touch it till we were on a sort of normal sleep schedule again. If I want to go for a ride that's not a commute, I always ask if she minds if I'm gone for a few hours. And to this day, we've never once had even a small disagreement over them because I make sure she knows our relationship is more important than my money pit of a hobby.

I, as a young man, wasn't corrupted by 4chan, but by ADVRider and guys complaining Their Wife Made Them Get Rid Of Their Bike. When I first met my girlfriend I made it clear that I'd never get rid of my bike, never stop riding even if we had kids, she'd never get a say in my bike buying habits, etc, all because from reading ADVRider I figured it'd be a huge problem in the future otherwise.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Martytoof posted:

One of my longtime ex GF's called me a "f*****" for wearing a full face helmet on a cruiser.

She was a neurosurgery nurse.

In conclusion, it takes all types.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Elviscat posted:

One of my longtime ex GF's called me a "f*****" for wearing a full face helmet on a cruiser.

She was a neurosurgery nurse.

In conclusion, it takes all types.

Sounds like a job security thing.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol cool