Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Re: pubs/clubs, the (very) large pubco I work for won't be opening any pubs past 11pm for the foreseeable

What's that gonna solve? Yeah, ona country level reducing peoples hours of contact will reduce overall spread (and I guess protects the staff a bit), but the risk-per-hour-of-being-in-a-crammed-pub is gonna stay the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Deleter posted:

The virus has a dreadful turning circle.

if someone sneezes near you, just run away in a zig-zag pattern and the virus won't be able to catch up with you

if you can't run away, try to look big and intimidating and it might leave you alone

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
What are you gonna do, stop my lungs from working?
- Quote from man about to go on ventilator

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is there a decent dose-response model for the virus yet? Comments back in March seem to vary but err on the "probably, maybe" side based on SARS-CoV-1 and HCoV-229E, so if you get a small initial infective dose you have milder Covid than if you gargle a shot of infected fluid.

Thus lots of healthcare professionals and bus drivers dying due to inadequate PPE leading to high dose initial exposure which is entirely on this shithouse government (or Gordon Brown buying the wrong masks, apparently).

It's possible that isolating immunocompromised and elderly people and allowing everyone else to mingle at 1-2m distances with sanitation rules might lead to milder cases.

The problem is that they're poo poo at isolating immunocompromised and elderly people too, and this will just expose more medical professionals (and now bar and cafe staff) unless PPE is improved, which it isn't being.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thank god I’ll be able to slink off to the pub for a G&T after posting yet another scathing comeback in the UKMT though. Praise be.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's that gonna solve? Yeah, ona country level reducing peoples hours of contact will reduce overall spread (and I guess protects the staff a bit), but the risk-per-hour-of-being-in-a-crammed-pub is gonna stay the same.

It has everything to do with not being classed as a club

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
surprised i haven't seen more tom and jerry memes really

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

The Deleter posted:

The virus has a dreadful turning circle.

The corona virus has no way of self-righting, so just can just flip it and then spin in a corner until Jeremy Clarkson counts it out.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

God I hate him, I absolutely hate him

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
honestly the fact it only took one screenshot of a bunch of random gen z kids poking fun at millenials to spark reams and reams of internet discourse about generations is the most millenial thing ever

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

glitchkrieg posted:

The corona virus has no way of self-righting, so just can just flip it and then spin in a corner until Jeremy Clarkson counts it out.

"Even the NHSs most respected doctors have admitted to me, privately, that you'd have a harder time breathing with this virus than you would breathing... on the moon" *walks off camera, fade out*

*pan into sofas, lovely joke from James, non-plussed rebuttal from Jeremy, follow up joke from Hammond, move onto celebrity race segment*

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

How is Spoons going to open on the 4th of July if they sacked all their staff? Not that I'd be going back anyway, but trying to hire and train thousands of staff across the country for what will be one of the busiest days ever seems like the recipe for some cool and righteous sabotage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

justcola posted:

How is Spoons going to open on the 4th of July if they sacked all their staff? Not that I'd be going back anyway, but trying to hire and train thousands of staff across the country for what will be one of the busiest days ever seems like the recipe for some cool and righteous sabotage.

They didn't actually sack all their staff, they backtracked due to the public outcry and it being hideously illegal.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Angepain posted:

honestly the fact it only took one screenshot of a bunch of random gen z kids poking fun at millenials to spark reams and reams of internet discourse about generations is the most millenial thing ever

But all the reams and reams I've seen have been written by Gen X or Boomers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Angepain posted:

has that actually happened? and anyway millenial obsessions with harry potter and minions deserve it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

move onto celebrity race segment
Jeremy: This week, the Chinese *poo poo eating grin*

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Whelp, with the 'end of lockdown' looming and my workplace inevitably reopening, does anyone have any recommendations for a good pulse oximeter? There seem to be plenty available now but the reviews are all over the place - it doesn't seem worth getting one if the results aren't accurate.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

that looks like a pub to me

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1275424549476208640?s=20

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

All pubs are going to need a massive amount of staff not necessarily because its going to be busy, but to comply with the regulations

Where as before you could have a few staff all doing the same thing, so serving, clearing, taking food out etc, now each job will need a separate person to minimise contact between them.

So serving person never leaves the bar. You need a separate person to clear glasses and wash them. Another person that can only take food out. Another to clear plates. None of those jobs can be shared

Then you need an army of sanitisers. Each table (and it will just be tables, no standing) will need sanitising between each use. Contact points everywhere, even fruit machines and pool tables sanitised between use

Whereas I'd normally have 2 to 3 front of house staff on with me on a regular food service day shift that's going to jump to 6 minimum

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No More Toast posted:

Whelp, with the 'end of lockdown' looming and my workplace inevitably reopening, does anyone have any recommendations for a good pulse oximeter? There seem to be plenty available now but the reviews are all over the place - it doesn't seem worth getting one if the results aren't accurate.

Check your phone, if it's smart. A lot of them have a pulse oximeter built in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going to the normal pub with my real friends to order a round of toaster.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

can somebody please make a gif of this bumping up and down and flipping horizontally I can't do it on here

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m here with lots of pints. They’re just out of shot, laughing too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

always worth remembering that rishi sunak is the richest MP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's because he's standing in front of an electical shop.

Not actually that far from me, in fact. It's in north yorkshire.

It's written on the glass at the bottom if you look carefully.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Maxwell's Electrical would be a good name for a beer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The bloke in my town who did thumbs up like that in front of people's windows ended up getting sectioned

crispix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I should also point out that northallerton is mostly famous for the constant traffic jam because someone decided to put two roundabouts within pissing distance of one another on a main (but tiny) road across north yorkshire.

Other highlights include a major rail junction and a train station that's like 15 minutes walk away from anything you would actually want to visit.

It also has a Betty's tea room which is nice but horribly overpriced and I feel weird going there because everyone wears period dress, they do really really nice coffee and macaroons though. Also a barker's department store type thing. It's kind of like tory hell honestly and only one step removed from beamish in terms of the general feel of the place.

I do kinda like the independant supermarket though cos they sell all kinds of weird cheese and snacks.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 23, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Beerbeerians :v:

I'm sure that sounds like "barbarians" said in an accent of English, but I couldn't tell you which one.

South Efrican imo

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jedit posted:

Check your phone, if it's smart. A lot of them have a pulse oximeter built in.

I'm not sure this is true, or that pulse oximeter apps that use a phone's camera can be relied on for medical purposes. Maybe the most recent high end phones are designed for it though?

Something like this is probably fine

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Well there's his problem. Rishi has never seen the bottom of a glass :rimshot:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Other countries have universal healthcare and have had it for longer, hth.

That said the NHS is better than many for treating almost every resident regardless of citizenship(*) free of charge and for being funded almost entirely by general taxation.

It's also fairly underfunded though, compared with some of the other ones.

* Illegal immigrants, short-term visitors and visa overstayers need not apply.

'Short term' visitors my loving foot. You don't get free NHS care until you've become a permanent resident, which requires you to live in the UK legally for five years first, paying an NHS fee every year of that time, which regularly gets doubled every year or two. Ask my wife, who is coming towards the end of her second 2 1/2 year FLR(M) 'short term' visa. That's on top of the actual visa application fee of a couple of grand a go, of course, and paying the standard UK taxes we all do as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's because he's standing in front of an electical shop.

Not actually that far from me, in fact. It's in north yorkshire.

If he were Labour Left I'm sure the Mail would be non-racistly pointing out that that window says Bose on it, just like Subhas Chandra Bose who conspired with Hitler against the British, and also Siemens, which used Holocaust slave workers.

Has Rishi Sunak apologized for using Holocaust electronics against the British Army as part of his sick antisemitic photo stunt?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

South Efrican imo

Sith Ifricin surely

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Isomermaid posted:

At some point though we do need a plan for when it's ACTUALLY safe to go back into pubs again so I can buy a few people drinks in that London

Edit: I mean people from this thread not just my regulars

yeah gonna need a proper pubbing when this all over for sure

hopefully pubs other than spoons will still exist in 2077

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's kind of scary to see 65000 deaths just go into the memory hole like this. We had one of the worst responses in the world and it's just being ignored and forgotten in favour of pretending we didn't absolutely gently caress it. Nae accountability, just going down as One of those things. A wee shrug and Oh well. And the government's response is to act as if they hadn't completely hosed it and if they hadn't completely hosed it then they'd be opening the pubs by now, which is what they're doing so they can't have completely hosed it.

It's just another eye opening event in a series of eye opening events. They Tories can gently caress up a plague at every stage and still be loved by at least 40% of the country. At this stage Boris could be filmed shagging a wee dug and it's only dip the tories to 39% and a bunch of blueticks would shag a staffie in support.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I just noticed the toaster. Who in the UK really wants kitchen appliances with SMEG on them :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

I just noticed the toaster. Who in the UK really wants kitchen appliances with SMEG on them :laugh:

Northallerton is full of shops like that, they even have a traditional toy shop that sells like, jigsaws and wooden toys.

I wasn't kidding when I said it was basically Beamish, it's the kind of place you send your elderly demented parents because they keep regressing back to the 1930's.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
A Priti Patel just got added to one of my microsoft teams jesus christ I nearly had a heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

At this stage Boris could be filmed shagging a wee dug