Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just AirPlay from the iOS YouTube app to the Apple TV. It works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That seems to bug out too and I don’t think you can curate a playlist? Or the playlist stops working. Plus you can’t use your phone completely? Does it drain your battery faster since you’re streaming from your phone rather than telling YouTube what to play or am I off base. idk I’ll mess around with it

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Pretty specific question but maybe someone here will know. I've got an older ATV (3 I think) in the basement and I'm using the "Floating" album covers screen saver. I'm noticing that the cover images all seem to be rather old, and aren't reflecting any additions to my library over the past couple years. Is there some way to force a refresh of that? I've tried selecting a different shared iTunes library for the screensaver and then switching back, but I still get the same old collection of images.

It's a 100% local music library being shared over the network, nothing with iTunes Match or Apple Music. And the full range of album art shows up fine in all the menus and UI views... it's just the screensavers specifically that seem to have an arbitrary cutoff date.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2020

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve had some major issues with the design/UI of the YouTube app, but I’ll be honest, it’s never really been buggy for me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, I'm not wholly sure where's the best place to put this but AppleTV thread seems like a good start.

I want to watch Twitch streams on my TV. Apple TV offers a Twitch app, which seems the obvious ideal solution, but it seems that none of Twitch's apps (ie, any way of watching outside of a browser) support the low-latency mode that almost every streamer uses, meaning that my video will always be 10-15 seconds behind the intended "live" point, and the chat will always be 10-15 seconds ahead of my video. This is pretty infuriating.

What's the best way to watch a Twitch stream on a TV, possibly leveraging an Apple TV to do so?

Currently, I load up the stream in Safari on my laptop, set up an AirPlay display, pop out the video and chat windows and fullscreen them on the AirPlay space (this lets me scale up the text on the chat). This gets great results (occasional AirPlay stutter aside) but feels clunky.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Fedule posted:

Okay, I'm not wholly sure where's the best place to put this but AppleTV thread seems like a good start.

I want to watch Twitch streams on my TV. Apple TV offers a Twitch app, which seems the obvious ideal solution, but it seems that none of Twitch's apps (ie, any way of watching outside of a browser) support the low-latency mode that almost every streamer uses, meaning that my video will always be 10-15 seconds behind the intended "live" point, and the chat will always be 10-15 seconds ahead of my video. This is pretty infuriating.

What's the best way to watch a Twitch stream on a TV, possibly leveraging an Apple TV to do so?

Currently, I load up the stream in Safari on my laptop, set up an AirPlay display, pop out the video and chat windows and fullscreen them on the AirPlay space (this lets me scale up the text on the chat). This gets great results (occasional AirPlay stutter aside) but feels clunky.

VLC can directly open twitch streams. Not sure that’ll solve anything though, I just use the app.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Lately, I can no longer navigate since it doesn’t want to register swipes or presses on the touch pad. This happens if I’ve left the app and open a different one (like Channels or Pluto).

I keep having this happen on my garage appleTV with a shattered but still functional remote, and I just assumed that it was the remote finally going out, so this is one bug I’m actually sort of happy to hear about.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

empty baggie posted:

I keep having this happen on my garage appleTV with a shattered but still functional remote, and I just assumed that it was the remote finally going out, so this is one bug I’m actually sort of happy to hear about.

Why wouldn’t apple break inputs on the last of their devices left? That Apple TV remote was just too good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is annoying and frustrating and I guess I can’t google correctly on how to fix it.

I’m subscribed to HBO via iTunes (I checked to make sure I can access HBO content via the tv app) supposedly I have access to HBO max as well but when you click on HBO max content it directs you to the app. Fair enough.

However! I download the app and click restore purchases and it’s saying I’m not subscribed??

I can view HBO content in the TV app on my phone and Apple TV. Max is locked out though?

Has anyone run into this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MarcusSA posted:

This is annoying and frustrating and I guess I can’t google correctly on how to fix it.

I’m subscribed to HBO via iTunes (I checked to make sure I can access HBO content via the tv app) supposedly I have access to HBO max as well but when you click on HBO max content it directs you to the app. Fair enough.

However! I download the app and click restore purchases and it’s saying I’m not subscribed??

I can view HBO content in the TV app on my phone and Apple TV. Max is locked out though?

Did you subscribe through the Apple TV channels? https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/27/hbo-now-leaves-apple-tv-channels/

That could be the issue or related. My guess would be you'd have to unsubscribe to it on your Apple account and just sub to it right through HBO.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you subscribe through the Apple TV channels? https://9to5mac.com/2020/05/27/hbo-now-leaves-apple-tv-channels/

That could be the issue or related. My guess would be you'd have to unsubscribe to it on your Apple account and just sub to it right through HBO.

Yeah I did.

Thing is everything I’m reading said it’s supposed to have migrated over.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t switch over till it renews on the 9th for me. I sent Apple support an email and they told me to take it up with HBO lol. I replied and told them it’s on their end since I’m subscribed through iTunes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I’m betting it’s what the other poster said, you’ll likely have to cancel and re subscribe directly to HBO Max.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I did.

Thing is everything I’m reading said it’s supposed to have migrated over.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn’t switch over till it renews on the 9th for me. I sent Apple support an email and they told me to take it up with HBO lol. I replied and told them it’s on their end since I’m subscribed through iTunes.

Here's the thing, and it sucks and is confusing. Signing up for a service through the Apple TV Channels is not necessarily the same through signing up through iTunes (and vice versa). For example, I signed up for Shudder through iTunes on the iOS Shudder app. I can download the ATV Shudder app, hit restore purchase, and it will work. However, I cannot use the ATV Channels thing to watch Shudder.

So, if I understand you and that article correctly, it's not working because HBO's Channels thing is done. If you signed up through it, you can still watch HBO Go/Now but no Max. I bet (but you can try it) if you downloaded HBO Now and hit restore purchase, it won't work either.

If you signed up through iTunes, like using the HBO Now app, you would have been upgraded.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 1, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was able to get it to work on launch day. I used the HBO Max iPhone app and chose the option to pick your TV provider, and one of the providers is Apple TV. Then you sign in with your Apple ID, and it should work, and then on the Apple TV HBO Max app, it should have you subscribed.

Apple explicitly sent an email saying HBO Apple TV channel subscribers would have access to HBO Max last month. And they sent another email on launch day with the above steps.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

I was able to get it to work on launch day. I used the HBO Max iPhone app and chose the option to pick your TV provider, and one of the providers is Apple TV. Then you sign in with your Apple ID, and it should work, and then on the Apple TV HBO Max app, it should have you subscribed.

Yes this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

smackfu posted:

Apple explicitly sent an email saying HBO Apple TV channel subscribers would have access to HBO Max last month. And they sent another email on launch day with the above steps.

HBO apparently changed their mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(Not saying this is an easy process or anything. I think the issue is that HBO Max is not part of Apple TV channels so they can’t just migrate the subscriptions.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes this is exactly how it is supposed to work.

HBO apparently changed their mind.

Sounds like he was trying to do Restore Purchases which I don’t think is the correct option.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

Sounds like he was trying to do Restore Purchases which I don’t think is the correct option.

You're right. My bad. Definitely try that MarcusSA.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Thank you!

Sorry I was completely blind and missed that Apple TV was a provider on the list.

You can’t restore any purchases because it’s through the Apple TV app.

It’s all fixed now though! Just need to double check it on my TV.

Thanks!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Wait, there's a working Jailbreak for the ATV3 now? :tviv:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anyone still use the app Channels? For the last 2 days it just shows “settings” and has my tuner showing, but no guide. Couldn’t find an issue reported online though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Channels is still up for me. Sounds like your server side / tuner might be down?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone still use the app Channels? For the last 2 days it just shows “settings” and has my tuner showing, but no guide. Couldn’t find an issue reported online though.

Yep, works fine for me

Are you still able to see live broadcasts? Just no guide?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The tabs aren’t there to slide over to guide. Just settings. It’s weird because the tuner shows up in settings, and in Plex the tuner shows live tv.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

savesthedayrocks posted:

HDHomeRun needs a full pull the plug out reboot sometimes as well as whatever NAS it's hooked up to when my Channels app starts farting like that

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
That was it, thanks! So weird that channels could see it. Good to know in the future.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WWDC keynote yesterday, With the tvOS update the AppleTV now has the correct codecs to play YouTube 4K videos.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299637/apple-tv-youtube-4k-tvos-14

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FCKGW posted:

WWDC keynote yesterday, With the tvOS update the AppleTV now has the correct codecs to play YouTube 4K videos.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299637/apple-tv-youtube-4k-tvos-14

I have a feeling the YouTube app will maintain its bizarrely unusable interface.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one they use on the Firestick pushes everything I actually use further away, so I kinda hope they stick with it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

qirex posted:

I have a feeling the YouTube app will maintain its bizarrely unusable interface.

No HomePods support fucks me up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So VP9 decoding is finally here. I have some stuff sourced from YouTube that wouldn’t play for poo poo before in plex that now runs nice and smooth. YouTube app itself hasn’t updated for me so I guess it’s not something automatic. Also I have a VP9 file that claims to be direct playing but looks to run about 12fps so something isn’t 100% yet.

Now just add bitstreamed audio so we can tell shield owners to eat poo poo.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That’s cool. Any word on if there will be an update to the YouTube app to make it not suck?

Also I’ve noticed YouTube on the iPad destroys the battery compared to plex, so maybe that will improve too one day?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

That’s cool. Any word on if there will be an update to the YouTube app to make it not suck?

Also I’ve noticed YouTube on the iPad destroys the battery compared to plex, so maybe that will improve too one day?

Which iPad are you using YT on? This is the use on my iPad Pro.

Should be well over 10 hours of use.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

So VP9 decoding is finally here. I have some stuff sourced from YouTube that wouldn’t play for poo poo before in plex that now runs nice and smooth. YouTube app itself hasn’t updated for me so I guess it’s not something automatic. Also I have a VP9 file that claims to be direct playing but looks to run about 12fps so something isn’t 100% yet.

Now just add bitstreamed audio so we can tell shield owners to eat poo poo.

Is that on the retail release and not some developer preview? I thought it wasn't coming till TvOS 14.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughlander posted:

Is that on the retail release and not some developer preview? I thought it wasn't coming till TvOS 14.

From memory I have public betas flagged on it but definitely not developers as I don’t have an active account.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

As far as I'm aware the VP9 stuff isn't coming until the next batch of operating systems later this year.

From what your'e describing that sounds more like something with Plex.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
He may have downloaded a public tvOS beta that included the codecs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They must've included a software decoder at some point, it's definitely relatively new as I remember I had a set of files that just wouldn't play nicely and I couldn't work out why until I checked what the server was doing, and it wasn't that long ago.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thwomp posted:

He may have downloaded a public tvOS beta that included the codecs.

Is it in one of the tvOS 13 betas? The 14 public isn't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I thought 4k youtube was a hardware limitation or was it just google being dicks