Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve been playing this off and on for a few weeks now and there is very little on this page I can parse. Game is weird.

Just give it another 100 hours or so and come back to this page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol, over 300 hours between the two.

My life is a joke.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’ve been playing this off and on for a few weeks now and there is very little on this page I can parse. Game is weird.

Wildtortilla posted:

I have 30 hrs of played time with 10ish wins under my belt. I have no idea what anything in this thread means outside of the replies to my posts. I thought I was the only one in this boat.

You're only looking at the tip of the iceberg. This game will start expanding soon and it adds A LOT of stuff

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

Lol, over 300 hours between the two.

My life is a joke.

Buddy, I don't even want to say how much I have.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is there anything specifically to work towards or am I good just blindly playing? It’s such a good game to play while smoking weed and listening to podcasts.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is there anything specifically to work towards or am I good just blindly playing? It’s such a good game to play while smoking weed and listening to podcasts.

I mean if you're having fun then go for it. If you want to make "progress" then try filling out the post-its for each character on the character select screen. Also the challenges but some of those are EXTREMELY unchill. Past that you'll be getting into really obscure stuff that you'll need to pull up a guide for to even realize what's even possible

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hedonist posted:

On the character select screen, you'll see a post-it note for each character. When you achieve certain things, you get marks on the post-it note (which can then be done on hard mode for another mark).

Also, unlocking all the characters. There are specific criteria for unlocking a lot of them.

A good early goal as well is to make Boss Rush, which is to beat Mom within 20 minutes. When you do that, a huge hole opens in the wall and you get access to a giant room with 4 items in it. If you pick up an item, boss rush starts. It's a very fun challenge early on.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Oh drat, I wasn’t even paying attention to the post it note things. Right on, thank you!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I still haven't unlocked Forgotten, because you need a monumental stroke of luck to get one of the only two items in the game that grant explosion immunity early on. It's a dumb challenge and breaking the difficulty is every run's ultimate endgame anyways.

The more items you unlock the harder it is to get the one you actually need.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

I still haven't unlocked Forgotten, because you need a monumental stroke of luck to get one of the only two items in the game that grant explosion immunity early on. It's a dumb challenge and breaking the difficulty is every run's ultimate endgame anyways.

The more items you unlock the harder it is to get the one you actually need.

You don't need it if you try it enough times. You can get into a groove of circling all the rooms, especially if you use The Lost or Azazel and can fly over rocks so you can do the same pattern in every room.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

Not to detract from Isaac in its own thread, but if you're into those things you should check out Enter the Gungeon eventually. It's really good and, IMO, better for chilling cause it's much less obtuse. Meaning you can focus on the chilling without constantly looking at a guide to learn about the game. Also Gungeon's soundtrack is way better than Isaac's so I'm very content to do some hardcore chilling with Gungeon while badass music accompanies shooting.

Again, Isaac rules. But Gungeon rules too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

I would just focus on filling out the notecards for each character to begin with. You do this by beating various bosses, mainly mom's heart and stuff past that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

only 400 hours here drat

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Not to detract from Isaac in its own thread, but if you're into those things you should check out Enter the Gungeon eventually. It's really good and, IMO, better for chilling cause it's much less obtuse. Meaning you can focus on the chilling without constantly looking at a guide to learn about the game. Also Gungeon's soundtrack is way better than Isaac's so I'm very content to do some hardcore chilling with Gungeon while badass music accompanies shooting.

Again, Isaac rules. But Gungeon rules too.

As much as I like EtG, I feel like the bosses and gameplay are too intensive for listening to podcasts, even as the Marine or Paradox.

But I've played a fair bit more Isaac Eden streaking than EtG, so I might be biased

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

As much as I like EtG, I feel like the bosses and gameplay are too intensive for listening to podcasts, even as the Marine or Paradox.

But I've played a fair bit more Isaac Eden streaking than EtG, so I might be biased

Thats a lot of streaks! The bosses in Gungeon are pretty intense, yea. To play devil's advocate though, I think Gungeon is more predictable because every enemy follows a strict pattern. I think Isaac has more random behavior and because of that I can never let my guard down enough to chill. With Gungeon I get into a groove and, bosses withstanding, I can relax more.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think my twitchy reflexes are slowing down in my older age because I find the bullet hell in EtG too much. I put about 20 hours into it and still fail to clear level 2 about half the time. 'play the game and get gud' isn't enough for me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I said it before, I'll say it again, EtG is a bullet hell masquerading as a twin stick, Nuclear Throne is a twin stick, and Issac is some weird dual d-pad thing with some design cues lifted from Zelda 1.

I couldn't get into EtG, whereas I quite enjoy NT even if I haven't beaten it, and clearly I love me some Issac. I think the problem I have with EtG is that the format makes we want to play it like it's not a bullet hell, when it very much is. Or maybe I just don't like bullet hells.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I have 1983 hours in Isaac: Rebirth. Probably half that in the flash game - Steam says 236, but I know it's way higher because I installed some QOL mods that stopped Steam from counting. I can't get into Enter the Gungeon, even though I tried for 75 hours. It's not the bullet hell that gets me, it's all the finicky stuff like reloading, switching weapons, and dodge rolling. Dodge rolling is my most hated mechanic in roguelites; it's a temporary loss of control that feels so awful given that it's necessary to dodge. Isaac's dodging is so good because it uses the same movement timing as everything else in the game. Unless your speed is super low (which is probably your own fault by picking bad items, taking pills, etc) you can dodge anything once you get into the flow.

Hades actually does dodge rolling right, which is why it's my favorite roguelite now. I haven't gotten a chance to try out today's huge new update. Bets on it hitting 1.0 before Isaac's expansion comes out?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've never played Nuclear Throne but if it's a pure twin stick I need to.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wildtortilla posted:

I've never played Nuclear Throne but if it's a pure twin stick I need to.

It's hella good but hard as hell. I can never reliability get past the third level.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I love BoI, and I love EtG (thought would also agree that BoI is a better game for playing chilled out than Gungeon. Love 'em both, but Gungeon is definately harder on the reflexes than Isaac.), but I'm just kinda meh about Nuclear Throne. Its tough to get into, the default character having a dodge when the other characters dont really throws me, and unlike starting off in either BoI or EtG I feel like I'm not unlocking much as I play so I dont get that slow drip of gratification that my lizard brain craves.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I love Nuclear Throne because the pace is much faster than Enter the Gungeon. Less exploring and backtracking, more juking and shooting mutants. Crystal is good for beginners until you get a feel for the game, and then bad because she encourages tanking bullets with her ability instead of always moving. Robot, Y.V., Horror, and Steroids are my favorites to play as.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does hades have a ton of wacky synergies like isaac thats my favorite part of the game i think

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

does hades have a ton of wacky synergies like isaac thats my favorite part of the game i think

Yes, but many of them are just the "number go up more" variety. It doesn't have a lot of the visual synergies that make Isaac more fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dag

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

You know what game DOES have a lot of synergies, some of which are represented visually? Enter the Gungeon. Some of them are just "numbers go up" (eg if you have Pig and The Scrambler, you get the Bacon and Eggs synergy which makes the scrambler projectiles go 50% faster) but others have a visual effect on the gun or its projectiles (Siren with either the trident or the bionic legs activates the Whole New World synergy where you get a fish companion that shows you the contents of chests without opening them, The Megahand (basically megamans gun) has synergies with all sorts of other guns to give it different effects).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nobody does synergy as well as Isaac but Gungeon makes a good effort. Theirs are really explicitly coded though and pointed out by the UI so it feels different, it's not like isaac where you worry the interactions are going to crash the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm trying to complete Keeper and it's just not fun. Still have mega stanley, Hush, and Delerium left and I think it's going to stay that way.

I did Keeper unlocks with a mod to make him less poo poo (start with Swallowed Penny and Greed's Gullet, the latter of which is so loving obviously designed for him that it baffles me he doesn't have it by default) and it was still a miserable experience. You basically need to hope for one of a couple near-instant run winning items like Tech X and even then you can get hosed when the game decides to not give you i-frames for no reason so you get insta-2 hit dead.

Well, that and also use the Always Mega Satan/Boss Rush/Hush/Void mods because gently caress needing to play the RNG game on top of that.

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC all of my superboss kills with the lost used an I'm Drowsy pill or the Broken Stopwatch.

For me the big secret of wrecking superbosses and boss rush with Lost was stacking invincibility effects + Pocket Watch. Blanket gives you an extra mantle charge, losing it still procs Pocket Watch. Or the ole Blank Card + Car Battery + Tarot Cloth + Algiz giving you 2 full minutes of complete invulnerability.

Though I guess it helps that I'm solidly not completely terrible at dealing with Hush or Delirium.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think Isaac and Gungeon are satisfying in different ways for me.

I love the wacky synergies that Isaac can pull off. I don't think any game does compounding effects as well.

I like getting super focused on Gungeon's action. I can lose myself weaving through bullet patterns much easier than trying to predict when and in what direction some fuckin' spider is going to suddenly dart. Also Gungeon's music booms: https://youtu.be/th45m1Jl4Xw

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I personally didn't find Keeper all that bad once you get wooden nickel, but you need to beat The Lamb with him to get there. I doubt I'd ever do a Greedier run with him where I didn't startscum for the swallowed penny first though (or on any character after getting the completion mark).

That said I did have to use a fairly wacky strategy for my delirium completion with him. I had terrible damage and no swallowed penny, but I did have something like the car battery, D1, and deep pockets (or some equivalent setup). So I found a room with little batteries and duped a bunch for unlimited full charges, then I duped a huge pile of fool cards and algiz runes. Then I ran into Delirium's room, dropped an algiz on the floor, fired off my D1, and used the fool to teleport out. I ended up with like 10 algiz runes in each corner of the room when I finally settled in to fight him. Definitely overkill but I did end up using something like 14 of them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I probably have 75 hours or so in Afterbirth but have barely scratched the surface, versus like 460 in Enter the Gungeon 100%’ed, and I’ve been waiting for the next expansion to drop toward the end of the year before I jump back in to Isaac.

Nuclear Throne is fantastic, since it was recently mentioned, but I definitely agree with the people saying it’s balls hard. I never tried to 100% it because that would involve things like unlocking every crown for every character.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hush isn't that hard once you realize that you can just stand still during the bullet hell attack.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

The only thing I need now is the 31 daily runs achievement. Speaking of which I started playing this morning and less then 2 minutes after the run went up it showed that I had already attempted and failed it with 603 points. Has that ever happened to anyone? I checked my Nintendo account and there's no unusual activity, and I'm not sure why anyone would steal my account just to suck at Isaac daily runs anyway, so I don't think that's what happened. I'm a bit annoyed my daily run win streak got broken on the day with history's easiest run (Eve to Mom, Satanic Bible and Nine Lives in the first two rooms, I did a practice run and cleared it in around 10 minutes).

This happened to me again, two days in a row now. I checked this morning like 10 minutes after the daily went up, and I was #1 on the list with 20k points, with a few other people on the list around 4k. What the heck.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

Satan was insurmountable.

I'm furious.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Wildtortilla posted:

Painfully I just learned what a dice room is in Sheol. Had a loving awesome run and was a killing machine. Then I found a dice room that turned me into a floating legless hobo clown that shot coins but I couldn't just shoot, instead I dropped the coins and could put a bunch down... then when I released the right stick they scattered uselessly at anything except enemies. I have no idea how I was supposed to control that bullshit.

I'm furious.

lmao

welcome to binding of isaac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9270u0MkI2w

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm furious.

Buddy, it's one run! You've got 900 more hours of play ahead of you. You won't even remember this. You'll be skipping Sheol because Satan is no challenge.

But that lesson you learned ... invaluable

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I knowwwww but it still stings! I haven't beaten Satan yet, I was equipped for success.

And then

Flying hobo clown

Edit: I guess I have beaten Satan! Isaac's completion marks include an upside down cross outlined in red.

Sting is weaken

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 26, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

After far too many hours in Isaac, the Dice Room is pretty much the one thing I still always have to look up. I remember what a 6 does, but can never keep straight what the other numbers do.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's a few mods i have that are just "i'm gonna look this up anyway so just tell me" sort of mods and one of them puts a cheatsheet for what the dice do in every dice room

if you've got a poo poo memory like me i highly recommend installing a bunch of info mods like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rerolling your character always leads to the stupidest possible poo poo so I always do it. It can sometimes randomly give you transformation achievements which is nice.