Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I see. I also realized that playing the JP Saturn version means I wouldn't be able to hear the goofy English dub (unless they re-recorded everything in the Remastered version.)

I guess I'll check out the Remastered version, then, whenever it goes on sale.

Is there any difference between the Switch or PC versions, or does it just come down to personal preference?

-
Switching gears back to Dragon Age: Origins, I decided to stick with being a mage, but I wanted to ask about specializations. Is there one I should opt for in particular? Arcane Warrior is the one I'm leaning towards based on its description, and unless it's super-powerful, I don't want to take Blood Mage, since that clashes with the setting.

Arcane Knight is pretty fun and incredibly powerful. Stack every defensive aura and spell you can find and become invencible. You should beeline the dalish elves zone so you can get it ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

I love this game, but the mechanic of keeping the Baby happy escaped me as a kid and I ended up at the final boss with an angry Baby who would just always attack me instead of the enemies. So I never finished that file, and all my attempted replays have ended early on due to the load times being pretty awful.

One of the few RPGs my mom liked to watch me play, because of the fairy character who always had snarky comments about you searching stuff.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Max Wilco posted:

-
Switching gears back to Dragon Age: Origins, I decided to stick with being a mage, but I wanted to ask about specializations. Is there one I should opt for in particular? Arcane Warrior is the one I'm leaning towards based on its description, and unless it's super-powerful, I don't want to take Blood Mage, since that clashes with the setting.

You really can't go wrong with any mage specialization, except maybe Shapeshifter. But even with that one, at the end of the day, you're still a mage and therefore good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I see. I also realized that playing the JP Saturn version means I wouldn't be able to hear the goofy English dub (unless they re-recorded everything in the Remastered version.)

Is there any difference between the Switch or PC versions, or does it just come down to personal preference?

-

As other people pointed out it really doesn't matter which specialization you are as Mages are by far and away the best class in DA:O since it's pretty heavily influenced by DnD at that point.

If you haven't turned the friendly fire mechanics on, late game you can just rock dual mages and basically AoE every fight in the game down effortlessly because the high end AoE spells are massively overpowered and have combo effects like Grease Fire and Storm of the Century

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just like in D&D, blast spells are a trap option. The real power is stuff like Mana Clash, Force Field, the haste & slow auras, and other spells you can cast without putting your sword away.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Just like in D&D, blast spells are a trap option. The real power is stuff like Mana Clash, Force Field, the haste & slow auras, and other spells you can cast without putting your sword away.

I'd believe it honestly, I never really played with them because I just kinda liked making things explode. Honestly mages are so good in the game that there's not really a wrong way to do it that I can think of. Maybe just only using healing spells or something?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

InnercityGriot posted:

Any of you cowards playing Hylics 2?

I haven't yet, but the first one was cool. Not sure how I feel about the second one trying to be more of a 'video game' with 'mechanics' and 'gameplay'.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I should beat Octopath. I enjoyed what I played but I'm split between chapters 3 and 4 and I don't remember what I was doing lmao. Its a long rear end game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

-

Out of curiosity how are you liking DAO? It was my first ever WRPG and I would make the reasonable claim that it's far and away the best BioWare game ever.

Maybe Mass Effect 2 is better in some regards but DAO is the peak of their "pure RPG" games

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I just finished up Xenoblade Chronicles, a game I had some major issues with but overall quite liked. I've been thinking about diving into the mini story they added in the Definitive Edition (Future Connected) or even XC2+Torna. That said, I should probably, uh, take a break from Xenoblade and its huge levels/many sidequests/many systems or I'm gonna burn out.

I'm not really a big (J)RPG person, normally, outside of MMOs (which is why I found Xenoblade relatively approachable, for as complex as it can look), but having managed to put 75 hours into one has made me feel like I should probably take a crack at some more games in the genre.

I'm looking for something that is:

* Less than 30 hours. I really liked Xenoblade but man I cannot imagine putting another 70 hours into a game right now. The shorter, the better, honestly.

* Story-focused. I can tolerate high levels of anime (or high levels of western fantasy, or whatever other tropes), as long as the characters are generally likeable, something Xenoblade 1 does really well.

* Somewhat action-y. I tend to bounce off tactical/grid-based games at some point because I'm just loving bad at them and find them really exhausting to play (a problem that has persisted in everything from Shadowrun to Three Houses), and turn-based menu-combat games are just kind of dull to me (I could not make it more than 15 hours into DQ11).

I was thinking about picking up Ys VIII, though I'm really annoyed I missed when it was on sale on Switch. I have a gaming computer as well, so I might pick it up on Steam, but I like the Switch convenience. What other games can y'all think of that might fit what I'm looking for?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

At the risk of enabling bad habits and/or a backlog: Wait 2-3 more days if you can because STEAM SUMMER SALE

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I just finished up Xenoblade Chronicles, a game I had some major issues with but overall quite liked. I've been thinking about diving into the mini story they added in the Definitive Edition (Future Connected) or even XC2+Torna. That said, I should probably, uh, take a break from Xenoblade and its huge levels/many sidequests/many systems or I'm gonna burn out.

I'm not really a big (J)RPG person, normally, outside of MMOs (which is why I found Xenoblade relatively approachable, for as complex as it can look), but having managed to put 75 hours into one has made me feel like I should probably take a crack at some more games in the genre.

* Less than 30 hours. I really liked Xenoblade but man I cannot imagine putting another 70 hours into a game right now. The shorter, the better, honestly.

* Story-focused. I can tolerate high levels of anime (or high levels of western fantasy, or whatever other tropes), as long as the characters are generally likeable, something Xenoblade 1 does really well.

* Somewhat action-y. I tend to bounce off tactical/grid-based games at some point because I'm just loving bad at them and find them really exhausting to play (a problem that has persisted in everything from Shadowrun to Three Houses), and turn-based menu-combat games are just kind of dull to me (I could not make it more than 15 hours into DQ11).

I was thinking about picking up Ys VIII, though I'm really annoyed I missed when it was on sale on Switch. I have a gaming computer as well, so I might pick it up on Steam, but I like the Switch convenience. What other games can y'all think of that might fit what I'm looking for?

CrossCode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

abraham linksys posted:

Ys: Memories of Celceta or Ys Origins

E: missed you mention Ys 8, that's good too but definitely not less than 30 hours

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

If you have access to a PS4, FF7R is genuinely excellent and has a really fun, fast-paced battle system. If not, I can vouch for literally any Ys game too, you can get those anywhere

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
older ys games are always less than 30, ys seven onwards it uhh gets longer and their writing kinda varies in quality. i think in broad strokes their writing can be decent and they have fun characters but ys seven kinda bogs itself down in ways i didn't like, dunno about 8 or celceta

zwei: the arges adventure and zwei: the ilvard insurrection don't play amazingly (arges uhh plays kinda bad at times), but they're pretty short action rpgs (around like, 15-22 hours) with fun writing. pretty lighthearted and jokey so it depends on if you're okay with most of the serious writing coming in pretty late i guess

tales of berseria is like, around 50 hours long so it's probly too long but it has really good writing and if you're willing to get behind the combat being mostly pure mashing that just is very badly explained in a way that makes it seem much more complicated than it should be, it's pretty fun to play

nier: automata is around like, 20-30 hours if you gun through it, has really good writing and the combat is alright, enemies can be a bit spongey if you don't try to keep up with the power curve and there's not a ton of enemy variety but it works for what it is

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I found out I own Ys Origin on Steam and apparently put, like, three whole hours into it way back in 2014, so I'm giving it a go. Getting over not having a switch by playing it on Steam Remote Play on my iPad, which works... surprisingly well, though getting the Dual Shock 4 configured correctly has been a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Will say I played through route A of Nier A and really liked it, but set it down to take a break and never got back to it. I'd like to play FF7R but have to go through some effort of plugging my PS4 back in, heh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh if you've taken a break after beating route a that just means you'll probably get less bored of how repetitive most of route b is if you jump back into it because it covers 80% of the same stuff

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Elvis_Maximus posted:

As other people pointed out it really doesn't matter which specialization you are as Mages are by far and away the best class in DA:O since it's pretty heavily influenced by DnD at that point.

If you haven't turned the friendly fire mechanics on, late game you can just rock dual mages and basically AoE every fight in the game down effortlessly because the high end AoE spells are massively overpowered and have combo effects like Grease Fire and Storm of the Century

I'm playing on Normal difficulty, so I think friendly fire is on, but maybe there's a way to toggle it off separately from the difficulty. If not, I can just ratchet the difficulty down to Easy if I hit a wall.

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity how are you liking DAO? It was my first ever WRPG and I would make the reasonable claim that it's far and away the best BioWare game ever.

Maybe Mass Effect 2 is better in some regards but DAO is the peak of their "pure RPG" games

I've actually tried playing Dragon Age Origins like three times: originally I tried in 2011 (based on the achievements recorder on the 'Player Profile), but I think I switched computers and lost the save. I tried it again back around 2015 but I eventually just wasn't in the mood to play it at that time. So far with this playthrough, I feel like I'm enjoying it a lot more, though I'm referring to a wiki to help me along (which I tend to do with a lot of RPGs).

Between when I played in 2015 and now, I made my way through the Baldur's Gate series. That was a struggle, but I revisited it about a month ago, and found that I did a lot better than my first time through. I've been trying to clear games out of my backlog (mainly RPGs, which hasn't been going as well as I hoped), but revisiting BG I think spurred me into trying DA:O again.

Comparing it to Baldur's Gate, DA:O feels like it was built more like an MMO given how it controls with the ground level view and the hotbar for abilities. Playing as a spellcaster is easier than in IE games since there's no memorization or limit of spells per day, but cooldown makes fights feel more like they're about timing than target prioritization (that could just be me being bad at the game or failing to configure tactics).

What irks me about the most at this point is the UI. For the most part, it's fine; I like that the inventory is shared between all the characters, and you have pop-up windows for gear comparison. What I find annoying is that stats, skills, and inventory are split between three different screens. It's not really that bad, but when assigning gear to characters, I want to check to see who's good at what, and the skills seems more vital to that than the stats. For example, I think Alistair is initially equipped with a two-handed sword, and I thought that fit with him being a Warrior. Looking at his skills, though I realize that his skills are for using a sword-and-shield (I have everyone save the PC set to auto-level, which may possibly be a mistake). Similarly, I thought to give Sten an axe, until I looked at his skills screen and saw that he used two-handed weapons. I think my issue is that I'm still operating under BG/2eD&D rules, so I think to see what weapon everyone is proficient in, when it seems like warriors can use virtually anything with no real drawbacks.

The writing and VO work has been pretty solid so far. Visually speaking, it's okay, but I've always been put off a bit by the modeling/animation. I imagine all the characters were built from some kind of character template, and as result, a lot of the faces feel samey.

I've been referring to the wiki throughout to make sure I don't miss quests, and to pick the best dialog options to keep my party members happy. I've just now left Lothering, so I can always make another post once I make some more major progress.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

wow, Ys Origin is immediately kicking my rear end an hour and a half in, I’m not sure this game is for me. The two bosses I’ve encountered so far (the latter of which I’m stuck on) both seemed spongy as hell for how little HP I have and the lack of any healing items. Is there a secret need to grind out stuff in this game, or are the bosses supposed to be difficult bullet hell encounters?

Maybe if this game had a dodge roll it’d be more my speed, but right now it feels more like Enter the Gungeon or something than what I was expecting from an ARPG. The boss difficulty is so surprising considering the normal enemies all just feel like standard mash-X fare.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

wow, Ys Origin is immediately kicking my rear end an hour and a half in, I’m not sure this game is for me. The two bosses I’ve encountered so far (the latter of which I’m stuck on) both seemed spongy as hell for how little HP I have and the lack of any healing items. Is there a secret need to grind out stuff in this game, or are the bosses supposed to be difficult bullet hell encounters?

Maybe if this game had a dodge roll it’d be more my speed, but right now it feels more like Enter the Gungeon or something than what I was expecting from an ARPG. The boss difficulty is so surprising considering the normal enemies all just feel like standard mash-X fare.

Standard enemies are never the hard part of Ys games, it's all about getting gated by bosses

You shouldn't need to grind if you pay close attention to boss attack patterns, they're very Old School Video Game Boss that way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

abraham linksys posted:

Oh yeah Origins can be kind of difficult, my main tips are make sure you've explored an area 100%, the game expects you to have a certain equipment level when you get to a boss since there's little in the way of randomness and everything is just in chests and levels make a huge difference, if you're still getting decent exp from enemies in an area even one more level can help. Also check what SP upgrades you can get from the statues. It's tough game that expects you to learn boss patterns.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

EightFlyingCars posted:

Standard enemies are never the hard part of Ys games, it's all about getting gated by bosses

You shouldn't need to grind if you pay close attention to boss attack patterns, they're very Old School Video Game Boss that way

That's not strictly true, as I remember it gaining a level or two can help a great deal with bosses. Yes you're right that it's all about learning the patterns, but a couple of levels can make a big difference in how hard you hit and how hard you get it

Anyway yeah the Ys games are hard but rewarding, I was bad at them initially too but went on to beat Origin and Oath in Felghana and loved them both.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah Origins can be kind of difficult, my main tips are make sure you've explored an area 100%, the game expects you to have a certain equipment level when you get to a boss since there's little in the way of randomness and everything is just in chests and levels make a huge difference, if you're still getting decent exp from enemies in an area even one more level can help. Also check what SP upgrades you can get from the statues. It's tough game that expects you to learn boss patterns.

Yeah, if you're still getting decent experience from regular enemies in an area right before a boss it's worth taking a few minutes to grind out a level or two. And upgrade all equipment fully.

Ys games (at least the ones from that era) have a neat leveling curve where if you find gear or gain a level that raise your stats even a tiny bit suddenly you're doing twice as much damage to an enemy type or are able to survive five hits instead of two from a boss. Rushing through the game underleveled also works as a sort of hard mode, since bosses give so much experience you catch up for the next area.

I've been playing Ys Seven lately as I'm finally going through Ys games I never bothered with, and it's fun enough but a bit easy overall. I think they were kind of pulling their punches for the first fully 3d game in the series; it's nowhere near as challenging as Ys VIII.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, thanks for the obvious-in-retrospect advice! Spending ten minutes grinding from level 7 to 9 made the second boss much more reasonable. The one gamefaqs guide for the game lists recommended levels for each boss, so I'll make sure to double check that before complaining next time. Surprised that I was a bit underleveled given how linear it is, but I suppose I did run past some enemies while backtracking at certain points

Also did the equipment upgrades; I was stressed out about wasting resources on starting gear but then realized it's like a trivial amount of SP

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I picked up Brigandine based on the strength of the demo, it comes out tomorrow. The battles remind me a bit of Age of Wonders and the actual "feel" of the game is really similar to a game I enjoyed on the Saturn called Dragon Force.
You control a country that wishes to conquer all the other countries on a continent. Each country has a theme and certain types of troops and their own story based on their ruler.
That applies to both games!

There's an interesting class system in Brigandine that's quite Fire Emblemesque and it all felt like it was building on games I've not seen in forever. It's a lot of money though - £45 on the switch.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 24, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Taear posted:

I picked up Brigandine based on the strength of the demo, it comes out tomorrow. The battles remind me a bit of Age of Wonders and the actual "feel" of the game is really similar to a game I enjoyed on the Saturn called Dragon Force.
You control a country that wishes to conquer all the other countries on a continent. Each country has a theme and certain types of troops and their own story based on their ruler.
That applies to both games!

There's an interesting class system in Brigandine that's quite Fire Emblemesque and it all felt like it was building on games I've not seen in forever. It's a lot of money though - £45 on the switch.

The price is what's holding me back. I played the original a bunch and was actually looking forward to the game when I heard about it. The demo was neat but it didn't wow me tbh something about the animations and lack of unique models. And the price... I understand it, but in the same vein I'm immersing myself in games like P4G that cost less than half that. I'm gonna wait and see, maybe on a sale

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I like to support unique games but sadly I can't afford 40-odd quid for a strategy game that seemed way too slow paced for me at the most.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

Tales of Berseria is probably a little longer maybe, only on PC though. Edited for recommending xillia on accident which isn't on PC but is also good

Dick Wolf fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 25, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

With the SA Forums potentially headed towards self-destruction, is there a Discord for the thread I can follow where I can ask/talk about RPGs?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

What are some great rpgs (non-souls) to get from the Bandai/Namco sale on steam?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tales of Berseria and maybe that digimon game (i didn't play the latter)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ys Origin: I just got to this dang Arthropod boss and I would like to reiterate that I hate this video game, an opinion I will continue to repeat until such time as I have beaten this boss

I think I need to go grind another level, slowly :negative:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Durendal posted:

What are some great rpgs (non-souls) to get from the Bandai/Namco sale on steam?

Seconding Tales of Berseria, it's a fantastic game. I still think Vesperia is a good game but it's got some pretty big issues and hasn't aged super well, it might be worth a shot

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Max Wilco posted:

With the SA Forums potentially headed towards self-destruction, is there a Discord for the thread I can follow where I can ask/talk about RPGs?

The Steam thread defacto migrated to this server: https://discord.gg/GC3M8B

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain berseria to me? It's my first tales game. I bought it because of the thread, and I'm kind of bouncing off of it, mainly due to the combat. It just seems so easy. Changing difficulty doesn't help, going to hard just makes battles longer. It's cool that they have all of these systems in place, but I don't see what's the point if combat is basically: find a good combo, button mash. Story's fine so far if a bit generic. I just met up with the thieves guild or w/e.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Velvet is a lot more button-mash than other characters, so you could try switching up who you control to find someone more satisfying for you to use. Alternatively, you have fairly free reign over the difficulty, and higher difficulties do give better rewards.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

The Steam thread defacto migrated to this server: https://discord.gg/GC3M8B

Thanks. I joined that server earlier today, but I didn't think to look to see if there was an RPG channel.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There are a couple other discords which might be smaller and more managable, snail's at https://discord.gg/GEe3Sp and FirstAidKite has one in the chat thread

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe there could be a general goon rpg discord for this thread and it could also have other smaller rpg series/threads in it? :shobon: there might already be one though!

edit: oh if theres not, i'd be down to create one! :)

Booky fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Man. It is what it is but this blows. It's actually nuts how many games I only found the existence of because of Something Awful.