Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if it doesn't have a NICE! button it'll never work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shame Boy posted:

it's like a weird awful multi-dimensional forum where instead of just going forward in time you also go sideways in time and up and down in popularity

yeah i hated the first time i smoked weed in high school.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

it actually works better at home or outside

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

idk man people tolerated posting side-by-side with nazis for like a decade so

yeah, and people are seriously- without a hint of irony or shame- stating that they're migrating to /twitter/? yeah way to show that you care about the values of the people running your Social Media Experience lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Reddit sucks because there’s no way to preserve important megaposts instead of putting a link in the sidebar where nobody looks, and instead of making it better, you get subreddits just remake popular threads each month and the historic ones just get lost to the aether, and the same posts and questions get asked over and over each month. it’s very much focused around “the now” which makes absolutely no sense for a community like SA

edit: this is fine for pyf or image threads but does not work for actual conversations

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 24, 2020

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

it's like a weird awful multi-dimensional forum where instead of just going forward in time you also go sideways in time and up and down in popularity

Reddit is not great but this is one complaint I am always surprised to see from posters in a tech forum like yospos. It's just a tree.

e: consequentially you can collapse derails about tipping or whatever.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it's not that we don't get the data structure / metaphor, friend, it's that the data structure / metaphor sucks for conversations

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cmon shitlords just someone set up a dogshit vb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dividertabs posted:

Reddit is not great but this is one complaint I am always surprised to see from posters in a tech forum like yospos. It's just a tree.

e: consequentially you can collapse derails about tipping or whatever.

a tree is good for finding information. it is not good for having a conversation

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

rjmccall posted:

it's not that we don't get the data structure / metaphor, friend, it's that the data structure / metaphor sucks for conversations

The quote I posted frames it as a confusing structure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like I would find any forum without the control panel and last read features unusable

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
reddit is also from the top down sympathetic to nazis

i can't think of many other mostly-self-moderating groups quite like this, but the absentee owner relinquishing control to someone else is probably the best solution for keeping this the community that it is. hopefully pressure from other mods and/or the legal system works (lol)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pram posted:

that is one of the ugliest websites ive ever seen lol

is there time for one more your monitor joke..?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

is there time for one more your monitor joke..?
turns out the jokes were in the monitors we turned off along the way

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Emacs Headroom posted:

does anyone have the link to the YOSPOS Facebook Group?

jesus christ

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im making a forum just chill

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Uptime Sinclair posted:

turns out the jokes were in the monitors we turned off along the way

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
nope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 24, 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol mensa

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
howdy folks, just doing my dilligence and posting goatse in a bunch of forums. Hail satan.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

reddit is a forum dude

not really. its more like a newsgroup

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
on the other hand, moving to another site means not having to deal with the quarterly migration of FYAD chuds

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

howdy folks, just doing my dilligence and posting goatse in a bunch of forums. Hail satan.

cool. well cya around

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
but we have yosslack already?!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

but it sounds like that was the best school to smoke it in!

:dadjoke:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
already more people online on the discord than the pos itself. amazing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/akileese/status/1275872974600577028?s=21

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
isn't discord also a favored avenue of nazis

personally i have no desire to use a realtime chat system that isn't irc

movax
Aug 30, 2008

psiox posted:

this guy gets it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

psiox posted:

same. i also can’t go back to using irc

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

went to the discord for a bit, but it was very confusing because there is more than 3 people posting at a time. very un-yospos-like.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

psiox posted:

yes, it's popular with gamers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

im making a forum just chill

i’m banking on this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

went to the discord for a bit, but it was very confusing because there is more than 3 people posting at a time. very un-yospos-like.

yeah it is absolutely not a replacement for a forum. it’s spit and baling wire to hold the community together while the main hub is at risk

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

psiox posted:

they've actually gotten pretty good at proactively banning nazis lately and it's enough that nazis are creating their own discord-likes, like Gab made one for example :shrug:

i mean there's def still nazis but they actually give a gently caress if you report them now

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i’m banking on this

http://yospos.computer/index.php?p=/

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i maintain that the only truly unique thing with preserving is that it is a paid forum with strict moderation that got off the ground at all. anything free-for-all, or even partially free-to-post will go to poo poo.

i only learned just now that there is a bot for making discords require an sa account, and that is already closer. but the entire point would be to make it possible to put your :10bux: somewhere less abusive and have moderation work on the {forum,discord, newsgroup,...} based off of that. at that point i don't particularly care if i post on a default-config phpbb.

haha wow i just noticed joining the yospos discord i had to respond to that goon bot with "praise lowtax" the first time i used it. i wonder if they've changed it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh you weren't kidding, okay