Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

jng2058 posted:

So looking over the Guard spotlight, I note with interest that it appears that Blast weapons work per die, not per weapon since he talks about Wyverns getting 24 shots against a horde!

This is a lot better than how I thought it worked, and makes the ACs on Helverins terrifying against units as small as six!

Specifically, the rules were max on 11+ models, minimum of 3 hits on 6-10 models. So that doesn't seem to quite be the case. It just scales really, really weirdly when you get into high roll blast weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

I mean in splash damage I suppose the logic is if you were standing in a massive open car park I'd squirt liquid fuel in your direction while it burns and if you're in its way you get burned, but if you're holed up in a bunker or a hole i don't need to hit you i just fire at the hole as the fire will hit you anyway.

Honestly not really fully sure if that's how flamethrowers work in practice having never fired one, but I can see the logic.

Yeah, but in one scenario you're actually hit by a stream of flaming liquid, in the other the stream of flaming liquid sloshes/splashes on you. You're probably dead either way, but the first is definitely worse, unless it's like a oven thing, where you can't get out and just sit in there for a long period or something. More to the point though, I really dislike mechanics where you're hoping for the enemy to get in a well-defended position because your gun is better at hurting them for some weird nonsensical reason. I just think it's really bad from a rules design perspective.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has anyone been to the yuge Warhams store in Grapevine? Is it worth checking out?

The last time I drove to Grapevine, I got into a accident on the way there. Not too keen on going back otherwise

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has anyone been to the yuge Warhams store in Grapevine? Is it worth checking out?

The last time I drove to Grapevine, I got into a accident on the way there. Not too keen on going back otherwise

I've been a couple of times for some friendly games. The terrain is incredible and there is a ton of neat warhammer stuff all around. Great place to get Forge World bits. The staff were nice when I went and really enjoyed watching my little group's narrative campaign.

The cafe is pretty good. Random people would come in just to get an ice coffee or something and walk out.

Its smaller than you would imagine but it is worth checking out if you are in the area. Traffic is a pain though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Holy poo poo: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/24/ephrael-stern-the-boxed-saintgw-homepage-post-3/

I just wanted the comic book and the model, but they're offering up the novel, the graphic novel, dice & a dice bag, a fancy bookmark, pin, and a wax stamp with wax to boot.

Limited to 1,500 copies. I shudder to think how expensive this is gonna be. :shudder:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Hey goons, the 40k thread is one of my favorite parts of the community, might I get a link to the discord please? I will really miss this thread when this place implodes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Max Wilco posted:

Holy poo poo: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/24/ephrael-stern-the-boxed-saintgw-homepage-post-3/

I just wanted the comic book and the model, but they're offering up the novel, the graphic novel, dice & a dice bag, a fancy bookmark, pin, and a wax stamp with wax to boot.

Limited to 1,500 copies. I shudder to think how expensive this is gonna be. :shudder:

hope they don't gently caress up shipping and send multiples to the wrong guy :haw:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

We're due for a multi page derail about hobby ethics

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Hot Karl Marx posted:

No cause kiwifarms is trying to infiltrate all the discords so don't post them publically

I don’t know what kiwifarms is but okay apparently don’t publicly post the discord link.

But make sure you pm me the discord link!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Max Wilco posted:

It took me a few minutes to notice what's missing from this boxed set:

The miniature

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I lurk in the painting thread, could someone pm me the link the discord please?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Twincityhacker posted:

I lurk in the painting thread, could someone pm me the link the discord please?

I'd like a mini painting Discord link too as well.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Lol who actually had a 40k discord link and has anybody that requested the link received a link?

I wanna make sure we aren’t all just howling into the void

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Meow Tse-tung posted:

So I've been bored and wanted to start doing some painting. I'm not hyper competitive but if I go to local events at some point I don't want to get absolutely slaughtered. I picked up the space wolves pack and start collecting space wolves because I figured it would give a bunch of versatility and wolf bits to use on intercessors or whatever. I know that with indomintus/9th coming a ton of change is going to happen, but...

Is the space wolf reddit pretty much right in saying that the 20 space wolf blank slate dudes (that you can build as grey wolves, hunters, etc) are basically totally worthless? Like maybe I could mod them into runepriests or something?

I know that intercessors are the new hotness, but surely I can do something cool with them? I don't want to go through the hassle of returns, but at the same time don't want to have bought two boxes that are totally worthless, and the space wolves forum is downer as gently caress

Yeah Grey Hunters aren't as good as intercessors, but they aren't garbage or anything. They are still space marines and they still get to fire twice at 24" if they stay still, they still get Space Wolf rules meaning they aren't terrible in combat, and if you put a power fist on the Sergeant if the rest of the squad dies you can turn him into a Lone Wolf.

I think from the bits you get on those sprues, you can also turn them into Blood Claws, which aren't too bad if you can get them into contact with the enemy.

Ultimately you've got them now and even if you convert a couple into wolf lords or rune priests you've got 20 of them. If I were you I'd make them into Grey Hunters and if you decide you want to replace them with Intercessors later you can do.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, but in one scenario you're actually hit by a stream of flaming liquid, in the other the stream of flaming liquid sloshes/splashes on you. You're probably dead either way, but the first is definitely worse, unless it's like a oven thing, where you can't get out and just sit in there for a long period or something. More to the point though, I really dislike mechanics where you're hoping for the enemy to get in a well-defended position because your gun is better at hurting them for some weird nonsensical reason. I just think it's really bad from a rules design perspective.

Well I guess the counter argument is in a big open space it's easier to run away from the flame throwing spray, whereas in a tight confine you get trapped and hosed. Ultimately the Hellhound is designed for roasting people in Bunkers and holed up in cover, so it makes sense to have bonuses to doing so.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

So I've been bored and wanted to start doing some painting. I'm not hyper competitive but if I go to local events at some point I don't want to get absolutely slaughtered. I picked up the space wolves pack and start collecting space wolves because I figured it would give a bunch of versatility and wolf bits to use on intercessors or whatever. I know that with indomintus/9th coming a ton of change is going to happen, but...

Is the space wolf reddit pretty much right in saying that the 20 space wolf blank slate dudes (that you can build as grey wolves, hunters, etc) are basically totally worthless? Like maybe I could mod them into runepriests or something?

I know that intercessors are the new hotness, but surely I can do something cool with them? I don't want to go through the hassle of returns, but at the same time don't want to have bought two boxes that are totally worthless, and the space wolves forum is downer as gently caress

I think you could probably get some work done with them by converting them to Blood Claws. Especially if you arm the Pack Leader with some kind of power weapon (Fist, Axe, Lightning/Ice/Wolf Claw, T.Hammer, etc.) and attach a Wolf Guard Terminator to them. Maybe run them with Lukas the Trickster or something. It's not ideal, but it's probably your best option.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Just wanted to thank you goons, I regged back in the day because of the 40k thread. If you guys have any discords or parachute offsites, I’d love to lurk.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Lol who actually had a 40k discord link and has anybody that requested the link received a link?
I got one, seems to be a lot of goons piling onto the server

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah still lookin for a Discord invite if there's a separate hams one from the general TG one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I wanna make sure we aren’t all just howling into the void

I have a link for something on Discord that looks to be Warhams

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I never, ever post on this dead gay forum, but I'd like a discord invite as well

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I'd like a mini painting Discord link too as well.

Same if possible please.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I occasionally lurk this thread and would like a discord invite too, just in case I get lured back into the hams at some point.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I occasionally lurk this thread and would like a discord invite too, just in case I get lured back into the hams at some point.

I'm the same. Would like a PM incase SA implodes.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
I didnt get an invite, but I figured out that the "goonhammer forums" is actually their discord, which is $5/month. Just an FYI.
I would also like an invite :')

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There's two. The Goonhammer one is associated with the website, and is more recent innovation. Booley and Corrode run one which was a really great resource, but I am not aware of how active it's been in the past couple years.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I would absolutely love an invitation to any/all discords.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I too would like a discord invite

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I also just started lurking again and was thinking about getting involved now that 9th is coming out. A link to the Discord would be most appreciated.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I too welcome the invites of my Discord overlords.

(Please let me in, I'll miss this thread a lot)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Would definitely appreciate a link

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Posting for a discord invite as well.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
awww hell, I better get on this discord train as well. invite via PM would be appreciated, thanks!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Give me more discords. I'm ready for the posting apocalypse.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i hosed up and left the discord then forgot to rejoin when i got a link so uhhhh can i get a link again

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I'd like a discord invite and I'll post my Primaris LT I am almost finished and I just started using a lightbox and I'm proud of it

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
I would also like a discord link. Thank you!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I would also like to request a Discord Link to the 40k Discord.

I've got da PMs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

jadebullet posted:

Finally got around to painting Maugan Ra.

Before the flood of requests, but I wanted to say this guy looks good!

Also shocking that this model is from like 1993 or something, it holds up remarkably well for being a real vintage.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Before the flood of requests, but I wanted to say this guy looks good!

Also shocking that this model is from like 1993 or something, it holds up remarkably well for being a real vintage.

Anyone know if new Eldar sculpts could happen like say within a year? Or aeldari or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone know if new Eldar sculpts could happen like say within a year? Or aeldari or whatever.

Maybe, but then again, a good part of the range is using 2nd edition models that are a year younger than my brother. They are Jes Goodwin sculpts so they hold up pretty well compared to other sculpts from that era.