Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Fleetsmith Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Apple acquired Fleetsmith

https://blog.fleetsmith.com/fleetsmith-acquired-by-apple/

Fleetsmith automates device setup, intelligence, patching, and security, for your company’s Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs.

Hmm they could have just done this in house I guess this forces people to use Apple first party if the 3rd party doesn't exist anymore!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm they could have just done this in house I guess this forces people to use Apple first party if the 3rd party doesn't exist anymore!

quote:

We started Fleetsmith to balance the management and security needs of IT with the experience users love about Mac, iPad, and iPhone. We’re proud of the incredibly talented team we’ve built, and that we’ve stayed true to our mission: to make powerful, secure Apple fleet management available to everyone.

We’re thrilled to join Apple. Our shared values of putting the customer at the center of everything we do without sacrificing privacy and security, means we can truly meet our mission, delivering Fleetsmith to businesses and institutions of all sizes, around the world.

:unsmith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

hatty posted:

Fleetsmith Mac

(Mac)Rumors

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol your AV

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Here's my last post for a while. Everything 's been crazy this year and having BA on Youtube was one thing that I liked being able to tune into every couple days. So it's a big deal if they're not going to put out any content for a while.

I really like Rick. I'm a Mexican-American, so I enjoy his Mexican recipes, seeing where they are similar and also different from what I grew up with.

They did a video with Rick's dad, making refried beans. The recipe is here, I'm not sure where the video went, it's not on BA's site or YouTube that I can find. It was great. It reminded me a lot of cooking with my dad and my grandfather.

Rick did videos with BA for carnitas, tamales, churros, and of course refried beans. He's the perfect person to do them. Not that anyone else couldn't do them (I'm sure Claire could knock out some churros), but if it makes me a racist rear end in a top hat to prefer that he does them, so be it.

Rick is also gay. Not a fun position to be in when you have a hispanic background with the 'macho culture' and Catholic faith. The producers let him have his painted nails, and they let him do things like tie-dye cookies, which aren't Mexican in any way. I think that's great.

Which brings me to my next point. As a brown skinned man, Rick is not pigeonholed into "only doing taco videos". Sure, he's done videos from Mexico, taquerias in Austin, along with the refried beans and homemade flour tortilla videos. But he's also done great videos on making a chocolate cake, apple pie, toffee cookies, cocktails, cider donuts, and even chicken scarpariello.

So when other people come out and say things like "brown people aren't allowed to make white recipes at BA", and everyone flips their lid without even realizing it's not true, I get upset.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Posting Ian Miles Cheong for any reason other than to sneer at his worthless Nazi rear end should be bannable IMO

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s probably much cheaper and faster like this

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

From HN
Fleetsmith disabled their entire third-party app catalog this morning and disabled Bash scripting (that was reenabled 15 minutes ago), breaking workflows for a bunch of users (and, according to the MacAdmins slack, tons of end users got random popups asking for an administrator to fix kernel extensions that were previously loaded via Fleetsmith). [0]
I can understand having to sunset the catalog, but how did Fleetsmith (or Apple) think that doing that without one peep was okay? Even a "we've been informed by legal that we can't host these packages, so within x days they will be removed from our catalog. we will provide functionality to replace them on your systems with packages you make yourself".

0: https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/hf30qk/apple_b... (discussion about fallout)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't understand their propensity to buy up companies and kill off functionality within them but not really finish the job holistically within a market segment. Its like someone in management gets a bee in their bonnet about someone/a company and knows how to get legal or finance or whoever to unleash the hounds. Its not like they do it to introduce functionality or to increase their engineering pool. Baffling. RIP Buddybuild

You're absolutely not wrong and you can definitely suss it out if you google hard enough and know the right people, I just don't see it publicized enough by the folks in Cupertino to know if its supposed to be hush hush and marketing doesn't know enough/of it to actively keep a lid on it? They can be picky about that.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

This is definitely an Apple pattern

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s probably much cheaper and faster like this

I get the feeling it's more about opportunity cost and hiring than it is about dollars.

They probably would save money building it themselves, but it would take time. Plus you then hire people who have been working on this specific problem for however many person-years.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Oh I agree, I think it'll be more than 5 years. I was just trying to counter this doom-and-gloom view of Intel Macs being thrown to the trash heap in 2 years. But I think even getting 5 years minimum of continued support is good to begin with when a major transition like this is occurring.

Another thing to ask is, how long before *first-gen* ARM Macs get tossed in the Apple dustbin?

My first-gen Intel iMac was cut off pretty quick whereas the second wave (later the same year) with Core 2 Duo was supported a good bit longer proportionally. Think iPad 1 vs iPad 2 in terms of longevity.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

I get the feeling it's more about opportunity cost and hiring than it is about dollars.

They probably would save money building it themselves, but it would take time. Plus you then hire people who have been working on this specific problem for however many person-years.

Time=Money, especially when you pull in Apple-level revenue. Why headhunt individual people industry-wide when you can buy a readymade team?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Escape Goat posted:

Another thing to ask is, how long before *first-gen* ARM Macs get tossed in the Apple dustbin?

My first-gen Intel iMac was cut off pretty quick whereas the second wave (later the same year) with Core 2 Duo was supported a good bit longer proportionally. Think iPad 1 vs iPad 2 in terms of longevity.

The difference is that the iPad they currently build today is faster than some of their Intel systems. They can hit the ground with first class hardware from the get go.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/06/24/intel-skylake-chip-issues-reportedly-tipping-point-in-apples-silicon-switch

Take with appropriate boulder of salt, but the tldr is that according to a former Intel engineer, Apple kept finding so many bugs in the Skylakes being used in Late 2015 / 2016 Macs that this was the final straw that put Apple on the road to Apple Silicon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hasn't Apple been poaching some of the best chip engineers in the business for the past 5+ years? I'm really excited to see what Apple has cooked up - a 13" ARM MacBook Pro with Pencil support and all the iPad apps is going to be tight :fh:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

Hasn't Apple been poaching some of the best chip engineers in the business for the past 5+ years? I'm really excited to see what Apple has cooked up - a 13" ARM MacBook Pro with Pencil support and all the iPad apps is going to be tight :fh:

Has there been any indication they actually plan to add touch anytime soon, though?

Edit: A Yoga version of a Macbook would be pretty rad, I will say, and Apple's one of the few non-Lenovo companies I'd trust to make that without endless lovely hinge problems.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Apple gonna succeed in one or two generations what Microsoft has been trying to do since 2012 with the Surface line.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

hey, since SA is imploding, will there be a GoonMac discord

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Roadie posted:

Has there been any indication they actually plan to add touch anytime soon, though?

Edit: A Yoga version of a Macbook would be pretty rad, I will say, and Apple's one of the few non-Lenovo companies I'd trust to make that without endless lovely hinge problems.

The icon spacing and design guidelines in Big Sur. Plus the fact that they're going to be supporting iPad apps with Pencil support.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

landgrabber posted:

hey, since SA is imploding, will there be a GoonMac discord

tailosive :haw:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

no idea what this means

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

landgrabber posted:

no idea what this means

He's just an Apple focused youtuber with a very active discord.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

posting with a bunch of fans of an apple-focused youtuber..... heaven

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

posting with a bunch of fans of an apple-focused youtuber..... heaven
This!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

do mac users use discord even?? is that a thing??

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

landgrabber posted:

As a CoD regular, yeah. Makes it easy to organize groups. Especially with the current poo poo-show that is console parties and system DMs/messaging.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

landgrabber posted:

Look at the noob over here who hasn't even heard of electron apps.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

landgrabber posted:

well now they do after the center of the Appleverse announced a membership program that includes Discord access because ad buys are getting slashed for the next year

https://twitter.com/imyke/status/1272633966126870532?s=21

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gay Retard posted:

Look at the noob over here who hasn't even heard of electron apps.

I'm a musician, not a dev

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

well now they do after the center of the Appleverse announced a membership program that includes Discord access because ad buys are getting slashed for the next year

https://twitter.com/imyke/status/1272633966126870532?s=21

What the hell is this?

I clicked that link and you get redirected to a site to pay $5.00 and it literally says nothing else?

Edit: Oh its so you can pay to access their discord? Weird.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't Relay FM a podcasting network, a la The Nerdist?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Relay FM a podcasting network, a la The Nerdist?

Relay is a podcast network whose core shows are about technology and Apple in particular. Much of what was the Apple blogosphere in the 2000s has moved into podcasts, and the most important podcasts in the Appleverse with the exception of ATP are on Relay.

P.S. ATP makes a lot more sense once you realize they were clearing 6 figures a year each from ad sales, John is a senior dev, and Marco has Overcast and his Tumblr Millions as a backstop.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

Anyone else experiencing screen flickering issues on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro? It was flickering out of the box, resetting the NVRAM/SMC and reinstalling macOS did not help. Seems like it might be defective in which case I will need to do an exchange.
So I ended up getting the faulty unit replaced, but now I've run into a new problem where my external USB mouse will randomly stop working until I reboot the machine, which is apparently not uncommon:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/17/users-reporting-usb-2-0-compatiblity-issues-with-2020-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air/
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/new-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro-models-have-serious-usb-flaw-what-to-do

gently caress, these last two MacBook Pros I've bought (2020 13" and the 2016 13" with the butterfly keyboard) have been the least reliable Macs I've owned in decades.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Godzilla07 posted:

Relay is a podcast network whose core shows are about technology and Apple in particular. Much of what was the Apple blogosphere in the 2000s has moved into podcasts, and the most important podcasts in the Appleverse with the exception of ATP are on Relay.

P.S. ATP makes a lot more sense once you realize they were clearing 6 figures a year each from ad sales, John is a senior dev, and Marco has Overcast and his Tumblr Millions as a backstop.

sometimes I don't mind ATP just because marco being like, a weird rich guy and just bitching at poo poo turned him into actually being fairly critical of apple a lot of the time. he is pretty reductive about seemingly random things, which is frustrating.

I like john because he's a weird, old nerd and amusing to listen to.

never liked casey.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Godzilla07 posted:

But then Marco has Under the Radar with Relay.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my favorite casey liss moment was when he talked openly on the podcast about how a teenager driving a car very, very slightly nicked the back of his car -- john described it as "one I would get just having my car parked in my driveway", and he literally called the loving cops because it counted as an "accident", then had the teenager/their parents pay to get the tiny, inconsequential nick made right.

world's smallest name, world's biggest ego

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landgrabber posted:

my favorite casey liss moment was when he talked openly on the podcast about how a teenager driving a car very, very slightly nicked the back of his car -- john described it as "one I would get just having my car parked in my driveway", and he literally called the loving cops because it counted as an "accident", then had the teenager/their parents pay to get the tiny, inconsequential nick made right.

world's smallest name, world's biggest ego

did he get poo poo for it? That’s loving trash behavior right there.

God I hope we find a good solution for this forums situation. 99% of Apple fans are barely distinguishable from ‘gamers’, if you’ve ever had a look through the MacRumors forums or Apple reddit

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Almost every forum is Bad, not just Apple stuff.

If you count reddit, then by mass all forums are Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

The only thing I care about but will never receive in MacOS is proper container support. An ARM processor the size of an Intel chip will absolutely devastate any x86 offering in basically every metric.
They've actually been there for a while w/the X chips :ssh:

(the regular consumer chips, not the larger die Xeons and such)

Ok Comboomer posted:

God I hope we find a good solution for this forums situation. 99% of Apple fans are barely distinguishable from ‘gamers’, if you’ve ever had a look through the MacRumors forums or Apple reddit
The one on Ars is...ok enough. Definitely got a bit of the Apple echo chamber thing going on but like, relatively tame and normal compared to any of the Apple only sites. Feels more like general nerds that use Apple stuff rather than crazy fans.