Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Now I'm reminded of Grave of the Fireflies

E: weird snipe but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What the gently caress

Shaun King posted:

On this past Tuesday morning I received a very alarming text message from a friend. Inside of a private Facebook group for California Law Enforcement Officers, members of the group were openly plotting and planning my assassination.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, duh. First, people and pigs just say that poo poo on public posts too. Second, a whole bunch of leaders from the Ferguson and contemporaneous uprisings have since committed suicide under unconvincing circumstances.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, duh. First, people and pigs just say that poo poo on public posts too. Second, a whole bunch of leaders from the Ferguson and contemporaneous uprisings have since committed suicide under unconvincing circumstances.

what's unconvincing about committing suicide by shooting yourself in your car and then setting the car on fire

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Has anyone here restarted the Cali Poli thread over on Bread and Roses now that SA is marching to the gallows in light of the Lowtax domestic abuse explosion? Is BnR where y'all are also headed?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm not going anywhere in the immediate term because there's no clear alternative yet and discord channels are the exact opposite of the type of discussion a well moderated forum fosters.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

SlimGoodbody posted:

Has anyone here restarted the Cali Poli thread over on Bread and Roses now that SA is marching to the gallows in light of the Lowtax domestic abuse explosion? Is BnR where y'all are also headed?

I dont know what BnR is.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I'm not going anywhere in the immediate term because there's no clear alternative yet and discord channels are the exact opposite of the type of discussion a well moderated forum fosters.

Yeah, people have already been complaining about keeping up with long megathreads in this forum and Discord is going to make that problem worse, not better.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I dont know what BnR is.

BreadnRoses, it's currently the largest offsite. Basically imagine if C-Spam replaced GBS as the top level forum

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SlimGoodbody posted:

They banned the throwaway email domain I use, so nah. When SA expires I'll just go into the wind, Thanos-snapped.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
There's also CSPAM.XYZ.

Whatever you do, don't use Discord. Nazis like to doxx people on Discord.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
does anyone remember fuckedcompany.com back around 1998-2001? lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I might consider cspam.xyz if it had larger avatars (I am extremely petty)

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

The Glumslinger posted:

BreadnRoses, it's currently the largest offsite. Basically imagine if C-Spam replaced GBS as the top level forum

oh hell yeah

The BnR Registration Page posted:

• A one-time $10 donation to support the posting co-op that is Bread+Roses.
  • One-time donation
  • In thanks, the Bread+Roses forum is open to you for posting
  • Payment is a donation to support the continuation of B+R
  • Payment does not guarantee forum access

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Payment does not guarantee forum access

Welp.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

I think that means they can ban you if you violate the rules.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

does anyone remember fuckedcompany.com back around 1998-2001? lol

Hell yeah, I cut my teeth on FC before moving onto SA when it eventually imploded

This was my posting rig

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The North Tower posted:

I think that means they can ban you if you violate the rules.

It's this

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Least surprising news you'll read all day:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1276223013994651648

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rip TO and Agoura.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I found it easy to register for Bread n Roses. :shrug:

Just had to pass the time waiting for admins to approve people which is probably going to take longer now that everyone's signing up for it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Hell yeah, I cut my teeth on FC before moving onto SA when it eventually imploded

This was my posting rig

:rock:

There was a few good Megathreads there above and beyond the failed dotcom (Kozmo, Pets.com, Webvan, Netcentives, etc) of the week posts and news/politics. It really seemed like a pre-cursor to here but no link at all apparently.

Way too much Goatman though, which, appropriately enough, has made a horrible comeback here this week. :eek:

Someone told me Craigslist had forums and.....well......looks like 90% bots.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 25, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SlimGoodbody posted:

if i used another forum that's the one i'd use. it has this thread, which claims to be about the bay area but it's in the politics subforum so post w/e in my opinion.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

This was my posting rig

Wow look at all that soda!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I apologize to everyone for trying to set this thread on fire earlier.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

For those reading on the app, there was an announcement that Lowtax will transfer the SA stuff to Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

This was my posting rig

This picture just gets better the more I look at it. The hot pocket and CRT monitor are the obvious standouts, but let's not sleep on the CD player, the fossil phone, and the Tommy Boy DVD.

I'm not even trying to roast. The pic makes me happy, that's it. I usually have to watch videos of penguins or piglets to get this feeling.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Gonna guess those are special edition 9/11 Pepsi cans (edit: have they made special edition BLM cans yet)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 26, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder if those are cd+r or cd-r disks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Gonna guess those are special edition 9/11 Pepsi cans (edit: have they made special edition BLM cans yet)

from the ad where kendall jenner unites protestors and cops by giving a cop a pepsi i think its clear that pepsi is on team All Lives Matter

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

I honestly don't know what the gently caress they expect us to do at this point. My family has stayed socially isolated since the first order came in. We haven't gone to work, we both submitted a hold order on our tenure clocks because it was irresponsible to continue research and have people in our labs. We taught our classes online with screaming children in the background as we hopelessly tried to keep three young girls entertained while they slowly developed social disorders from not being able to play with anyone else besides the household. And apparently none of it did anything. There are more people infected in Riverside than there was when all the schools closed and I had to essentially become a full-time parent who still needed to work an 80-hour week. The UC Riverside is ramping up research and telling us to get back to work when there is literally more danger than there was when they closed us down. But no actual loving schools or summer camps are open and my youngest daughter literally begged me to send her back to school two days ago and has repeated the request every even since. Meanwhile half of their friends have been having family parties, going to the pool and ignoring the shelter in place order and thus have not being socially isolated to the same degree that my wife and I apparently foolishly inflicted on my kids.

We've signed them up for a child facility that is open anyway today, because gently caress it. It's not going to be any better by August 10th when the public schools MIGHT open, and you cannot ask people to cut themselves off when there is no obvious advantage to it anymore. We're still wearing masks. We're still staying out of restaurants, and bars. Our labs have sanitation stations, staggered shifts, and contact tracing sheets. But none of that matters if I can't let me kids go meet other humans in person.

Sorry to vent. But poo poo just kind of fell apart the last few days when I realized that the behavioral issues of my younger daughters were entirely a result of my wife and I forcing them to not be able to play with other kids while also not being able to pay enough attention to them because we still need to work.

EDIT: Yes, yes. I know this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

EDIT2: Closing the schools completely was literally the worst thing to do. The place I'm sending my kids has been open the whole time and has had zero clusters associated with it. They implemented protocols immediately that limited student interaction outside small "pods", kept parents out of the building, and otherwise maintained good pandemic protocols. This lines up with the report NPR just released a day or two ago, showing the YMCA and other places that stayed open during the shutdowns were NOT sources for new infection clusters. We should have taken a month off from school and then implemented "pod" social interactions where groups of children could return and interact while agreeing not to interact outside those pods. Instead every parent got told to keep their kids isolated, and some of us listened while others just ignored the advice and YOLOed the last 3 months.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 26, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm sorry man, that sounds rough :(. poo poo is super hosed, and it sounds completely unbearable with little kids in the mix. This is gonna be a loving grind, but I think you and your wife are doing alright given all the information (spotty) and support (virtually non-existent) we've been given. Your kids are popping off right now, but they'll bounce back pretty well once COVID isn't the omnipresent force it is now. You've just gotta ride it out, like when they were infants and making GBS threads constantly and never sleeping.

We've all gotta get ready for another lock down, cause it's coming sooner than we want to admit. I'm betting on next 10 days.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hang in there man. The latest numbers, in terms of states where mask wearing is mandatory, are encouraging in terms of percent decrease in the rate at which cases grow. But yeah, in the near term it will suck. At least now we have a lot more knowledge of how the things spreads, so we know what activities are safe.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 26, 2020

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I honestly don't know what the gently caress they expect us to do at this point. My family has stayed socially isolated since the first order came in. We haven't gone to work, we both submitted a hold order on our tenure clocks because it was irresponsible to continue research and have people in our labs. We taught our classes online with screaming children in the background as we hopelessly tried to keep three young girls entertained while they slowly developed social disorders from not being able to play with anyone else besides the household. And apparently none of it did anything. There are more people infected in Riverside than there was when all the schools closed and I had to essentially become a full-time parent who still needed to work an 80-hour week. The UC Riverside is ramping up research and telling us to get back to work when there is literally more danger than there was when they closed us down. But no actual loving schools or summer camps are open and my youngest daughter literally begged me to send her back to school two days ago and has repeated the request every even since. Meanwhile half of their friends have been having family parties, going to the pool and ignoring the shelter in place order and thus have not being socially isolated to the same degree that my wife and I apparently foolishly inflicted on my kids.

We've signed them up for a child facility that is open anyway today, because gently caress it. It's not going to be any better by August 10th when the public schools MIGHT open, and you cannot ask people to cut themselves off when there is no obvious advantage to it anymore. We're still wearing masks. We're still staying out of restaurants, and bars. Our labs have sanitation stations, staggered shifts, and contact tracing sheets. But none of that matters if I can't let me kids go meet other humans in person.

Sorry to vent. But poo poo just kind of fell apart the last few days when I realized that the behavioral issues of my younger daughters were entirely a result of my wife and I forcing them to not be able to play with other kids while also not being able to pay enough attention to them because we still need to work.

EDIT2: Closing the schools completely was literally the worst thing to do. The place I'm sending my kids has been open the whole time and has had zero clusters associated with it. They implemented protocols immediately that limited student interaction outside small "pods", kept parents out of the building, and otherwise maintained good pandemic protocols. This lines up with the report NPR just released a day or two ago, showing the YMCA and other places that stayed open during the shutdowns were NOT sources for new infection clusters. We should have taken a month off from school and then implemented "pod" social interactions where groups of children could return and interact while agreeing not to interact outside those pods. Instead every parent got told to keep their kids isolated, and some of us listened while others just ignored the advice and YOLOed the last 3 months.

You’re not alone. Every parent is making these same, awful calculations over the least dangerous path forward for their family. It loving sucks especially seeing people around you not giving a poo poo making you question your own sanity. We’re all being gaslit by billionaires to walk back into the meat grinder.

My two year old started calling my laptop “Friends!” whenever I picked it up since that was the only time she saw her old friends from daycare. Theres not a word in english to describe that feeling.

Ill have two orders of fries and a large chocolate shake.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The North Tower posted:

For those reading on the app, there was an announcement that Lowtax will transfer the SA stuff to Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

The app shows announcements.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think the important thing to remember was that the sudden lockdown was supposed to buy is time to figure out the best path forward. There’s really no point in bemoaning that some places could have stayed open or not because early on we had no clue what to do. As more data trickles out, in hindsight we can talk about what should and should not have been done but it doesn’t mean that it wasn’t the right choice in the moment.

Wear a mask.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I am already having anxiety over the next school year when half of my kids come in with masks and another half come in extremely angry resisting the masks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I feel this loving post deep in my bones.

I’ve got 3 older kids 10-14 yo, and they’ve all become complete and total lazy morons with no common sense anymore. I had to explain to my 14yo how to wash a spoon with a sponge, for 10 whole minutes. Something he’s done a million times in his life already. All they want to do is sit in front of a screen because they can’t hang out with their friends. Their spring sports were canceled, so it’s a struggle to get them to do anything active. The 14yo runs high school cross-country, and he just wants to wake up at 3pm and sit in front of his computer. By the time he’s “ready” to do his training run, it’s 102 degrees out and pretty drat dangerous to run 8 miles in and complains the whole time, rightfully so. Normally, they’d have practice at 6am when it’s like 65 out.

The 14yo has pretty bad ADHD (and probably on the spectrum somewhere) and a 504 plan through school, so anything that’s not insanely structured is next to impossible for him. He needs a set schedule and deadlines to meet or else he can’t organize himself. Telling a kid like that “here’s a bunch of assignments and some are optional and may or not be graded and if they’re graded we might give you a letter grade but we might just give you credit/no credit, read this to figure out how to do them, and turn them in next week, ready set go” is the worst possible way for him to learn. The number of times he’s come running in crying his eyes out because he forgot a 2-week engineering CAD project is due in 2 hours that he hasn’t started yet is staggering. He can’t stay organized without the structure that actually physically going to school provides. And the wife and I can’t keep up with literally every single assignment across the 3 kids as well as keep up with our own work and general house upkeep.

If you’re thinking “well that’s just lovely parenting, ya goony goon,” my wife and I both work full time (from home at the moment). We both got promos this year, so a lot has been expected of us. We have been insanely fortunate during these times that we even have jobs, let alone actually received (way overdue) promos. It’s hard as hell to break away from work every 6 minutes to make sure everyone is on task doing their school work and chores and generally not being complete dickheads to each other. And every time I’m in a call, I get kids coming in every 14 seconds asking for screen time, whining that they can't hang out with friends even though all of their friends are getting together, or arguing that it’s not their turn to do the dishwasher.

We just moved and that’s been a nuclear disaster to try to make time to pack and unpack.

And like you said, everyone else’s family lets their kids YOLO and hang out and go to pool parties and while my wife and I said gently caress no. We finally relented a couple weeks ago and let each kid have a friend over. I think we finally accepted the fact that we can’t just completely lock down and expect our mental health to remain just fine. It’s about calculated risk. We’re not going to bars or breweries or concerts, but the risk in letting the kid have a single friend over is small enough in our eyes to justify the mental health benefit.

Oh, and through all of this bullshit with the older kids, I forgot to mention that we also have 15mo twins that demand almost every minute of our attention. Try keeping an ADHD kid on task in remote school or even waking up before 2pm with 2 crying toddlers. Now, we have also been extremely lucky that they're in-house (not ours) daycare remained open, and with a wink wink nudge nudge "if they shut down in-house daycare, they can always come over and see 'grandma' during the week." Thankfully it didn't come to that, but having the twins home, everything my wife and I could possibly make any semblance of progress on is ground to a halt so we can take care of them. By the time their bedtime rolls around around 8:30p, we just want to flop down on the couch and zone out or sleep because we're so loving exhausted, both physically and mentally. Meanwhile, our garage is filled with moving boxes that still need unpacked.

I hear your post loud and loving clear and couldn’t agree more with it.

If everything gets locked down again, there’s 0 chance we lock ourselves in a bubble again. No we’re not going to massive social gatherings, but a friend or 2 here and there won’t immediately get a nope answer. People need social interaction that isn’t over FaceTime or Zoom. Even my wife and I were getting stir crazy and finally said gently caress it a couple weeks ago and had a couple friends over for a beer just to feel somewhat normal again. Our ONLY silver lining has been that our new house has a pool. It’s probably been the only thing that has been saving our sanity.

e: Yes, moral of the story, don't have kids, especially during a pandemic.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 26, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mad solidarity with all you parent goons, it sounds really loving rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sorry man, that sounds really difficult :(

You guys probably already know this, but making lists of stuff to do REALLY helps when you have adhd. Some people find it useful to work on multiple assignments during one work session also. I knew a few people with adhd that would study by having multiple books open. Of course, things are different while on meds though.