Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Logan 5 posted:

Are they likely to do it anytime soon? I grew up with the C&C's as my core RTS experience so at some point I'm definitely grabbing the Remaster, but Red Alert 2 is one of my favorite games ever and honestly peak RTS for me. Like I've tried and I mostly just bounce off every other more modern RTS after a little while, even if I think they are good (although I can be really bad at them).

Not sure if they're doing a remaster but CNCNet is a third party launcher for a few C&C games including RA2 that allows you to play it with other people pretty easily if you own the game. I have the complete edition on Origin and have been playing RA2 with a buddy the last few nights through this and it holds up much better as is than OG Red Alert/C&C. I love the remaster and was happy to buy it to support it but it really just made me realize how badly I wanted to play RA2 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there any place to get Sekiro cheaper than £30? I have to buy it for the third time. Twice on PS4 and both times I thought "hmmm yes I feel done" and sold the disc on, but this game has a hold on my brain I can't figure out and I have to play it again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

explosivo posted:

Not sure if they're doing a remaster but CNCNet is a third party launcher for a few C&C games including RA2 that allows you to play it with other people pretty easily if you own the game. I have the complete edition on Origin and have been playing RA2 with a buddy the last few nights through this and it holds up much better as is than OG Red Alert/C&C. I love the remaster and was happy to buy it to support it but it really just made me realize how badly I wanted to play RA2 instead.

I haven't played RA2 in a million years, assuming a mod could upscale the resolution of the game and the FMVs, what aspects of the game would benefit significantly from remastering?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Is there any place to get Sekiro cheaper than £30? I have to buy it for the third time. Twice on PS4 and both times I thought "hmmm yes I feel done" and sold the disc on, but this game has a hold on my brain I can't figure out and I have to play it again.

Steam's got the current best legit price I'm afraid.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Logan 5 posted:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order: I've dumped more hours into Dark Souls 3 than any other game this past year, but I dunno if I want to do a modern star wars game with DS-lite mechanics and no multiplayer option, at least not for $30 right now

Fallen Order is a lot of fun, and while the DS-lite element is there, the way you get more skills that open up new parts of worlds you've already visited reminded me as much of Metroid as anything else. But it seems a near certainty this game will be like $20 or less by the fall, and since it's just SP, unless one was going to play it right now there's not much rush.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I haven't played RA2 in a million years, assuming a mod could upscale the resolution of the game and the FMVs, what aspects of the game would benefit significantly from remastering?

Controls!!!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Strix's Affectionate History with the RTS Genre
Ever played Supreme Commander (Forged Alliance)? As far as I'm concerned that's the best RTS of all time and your history doesn't seem to have involved Total Annihilation so I think it could be a nice surprise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Controls!!!!

Yeah controls but mostly just bringing it up to date with modern hardware and making it easier to play with other people that would probably be the biggest benefit for a remaster. I agree though that the case for a remaster is way less urgent with a game like RA2 because it does hold up alright as is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's wrong with the controls? I just use the mouse for everything

Orv
May 4, 2011

What's wrong with the controls? I just use the mouse for everything

I assume the single click command system, which is a fair problem to have.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RA2's sprites and voxels scale to resolution already, so a remaster would pretty much have to also redo all the graphics to be that notable. Preferably by making it so that units don't have to be voxels*. Hopefully they can actually find the film RA2 was shot on so they won't actually need to upscale. But yeah, some UI tweaks would be nice, steam workshop support, and of course an official way to play online. One side effect of the remasters is that more people are playing the newer games online through the fanmade CnCNet, there are currently over 1000 on YR right now.

*If they aren't they don't handle slopes properly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Logan 5 posted:

Iconoclasts: I'm mostly kinda just neutral on metriodvanias, but the brilliance of Hollow Knight has left me jonesing for more while waiting for Silksong. I get the feeling I'll just compare other metriodvanias unfairly to the masterpiece that is HK though.

Iconoclasts isn't really a metroidvania like Hollow Knight is. It's very plot-heavy and the gameplay tends to be pretty linear as a result. You do get to revisit previous areas, but that's not where the focus is. If you're worried about depression, though, this might be one to skip.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 25, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh right I was immediately spoiled by the remaster and I forgot that old CNC games didn't want you to use right click to move. Did they ever let you do that in any of the later games? Or maybe a mod exists?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol I really don't understand the whole left-click/righ-click thing. I've got zero problems switching depending on what RTS I'm playing

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Oh right I was immediately spoiled by the remaster and I forgot that old CNC games didn't want you to use right click to move. Did they ever let you do that in any of the later games? Or maybe a mod exists?
IIRC they have had the option since Generals.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Forgot to link cncnet https://cncnet.org/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

Lol I really don't understand the whole left-click/righ-click thing. I've got zero problems switching depending on what RTS I'm playing

I assume mobas

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grapplejack posted:

I assume mobas

god, EWWWW

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So while we're waiting for Dying Light 2 we're getting another expansions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QKG9k2a68

Oh yeah, pick up Dying Light if you don't have it already for the best zombie/parkour game around.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

what RTS besides C&C use left click?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

BexGu posted:

Oh yeah, pick up Dying Light if you don't have it already for the best zombie/parkour game around.

Can confirm. I'd had the game in my library for ages, but only started playing it properly in recent weeks. It has a good tempo of action, proper challenges and a solid co-op mode.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

MMF Freeway posted:

what RTS besides C&C use left click?

Dune 2! :v:

A ton of them in the 90's did, Total Annihilation (by default) and KKND probably the most successful non-Westwood.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

BexGu posted:

Man I'm gonna end up downloading it and then just goombaing zombies for hours while listening to podcasts instead of exploring DLC content for, like, the fourth time.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

StrixNebulosa posted:

okay everyone stop posting for 3 seconds so I can write this out. Playing too much of They Are Billions and Command n' Conquer has fired up the old nostalga buttons and so you all get to hear about :

Strix's Affectionate History with the RTS Genre

My first videogames when I was a kid were shareware CDs that had 100000 games on them and they were all bad, and then emulated stuff - NES and SNES and gameboy being the winners of the day, so I was a bootleg pokemon kid and such. My parents never got me a console until my young brother cut a deal when he was like 13 and got a PS2, but that's years down the line for me. No. The first "proper" PC gaming I ever did was thanks to a family trip from Kansas to somewhere else in Kansas to hang with some cousins and that's where I was roped into playing Warcraft 2 LAN multiplayer for the first time. I talked about the experience the ENTIRE time on the roadtrip back, especially because they gave me a copied disc of the game. That didn't work. I was DEVASTATED.

So my dad, the hero, bought me the Warcraft 1+2 Battlechest.

[Real quick intermission: The Blizzard of today is a fucker and I recommend not giving them any money. Free Hong Kong.]

I quickly devoured well, basically everything about those two games, but mostly Warcraft 2. The controls were relatively approachable (especially compared to Warcraft 1), the maps were fun and had a lot of variety between 'you have x units now solve the map' and 'build x, y and z to win' and full out 'build a base and conquer the AI' stuff. Great stuff! Also hard stuff, but that's what cheat codes were for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl4slGxY8U

This soundtrack is burned into my brain and is a quick way to make me happy. It's surprisingly catchy and enthusiastic for what could have been a really droll set of tracks. You feel the snap of the sails as the warships take off, and you're ready to fight the horde, and NEW TROLL HERE and all that jazz. Plus the mission briefings!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEXhNjEeHY

Listen to that man, you WILL want to do your best for him. He sounds like he's in uniform and at that table and you NEED to get out there and stop the orcs.

My brother and I made some basic maps with the editor, fought each other a couple times, and read both manuals back to back because there was some really compelling fiction in those dang things.

So - naturally this leads to Starcraft, which I also devoured in a similar way - and then later to other PC games. I never got into more RTSes in this era outside of Rage of Mages (which deserves its own post, it's so bizarre) except.... except. One Christmas, I was gifted a bunch of things like Black and White and Rage of Mages and... Command and Conquer Red Alert 2.

I'd seen Command and Conquer around in places like Walmart and Target, and wondered what was up - as this was an era where you could see and buy video games while your mom was shopping for groceries and stuff - but this was also when I was still using the internet for Neopets and "pokemon stories" (this became fanfic once i learned the word) and stuff. So I never knew what was up. So I was completely unprepared for - yes -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

This.

It blew my little mind. And the gameplay too! It was different from the Blizzard stuff - weird controls, modern army men, tanks, and absolutely banging music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqlb0p11RcE

I remember deciding early on that the Allies were lame and I was all for the Russians because holy poo poo, Yuri was awesome in his cheesy way. I beat it first, and then the Allied campaign, and it's been so many years that I don't have any strong memories of specific missions, just this general love for the game. So I got another set of C&C games from my parents and it was... Renegade. Yep. That didn't go over nearly as well. (It was a bad FPS for those who don't know it) I kind of decided that the C&C franchise was only RA2 and that was it and that's how it was until yesterday when the gift train hooked me up with the remastered version.

Surprise! I'm going to talk about a game that's on sale RIGHT NOW. I mean there's no discount, but it's twenty bucks.

I'm only three levels in, so obviously this can't be a true review, but... with the controls fixed up, it's the coffee-break RTS I never knew I needed. Maps are smaller so I can knock 'em out, the music is amazing, and the cutscenes are, well...

:allears:

Aaaanyways, one last detour before I end this post. Warcraft 3 was the first game I ever had pre-release hype for and I begged for it SO hard and got it from Walmart and it was king RTS for me for the longest time. I even wrote (bad) fanfic about Grom Hellscream. My brother and I played so many matches against each other and it makes me really happy to think about it, and how betrayed I felt by Arthas and the awful mission where you raze an innocent city.

Sadly it was never remade and that company died a horrible death right before releasing world of warcraft. What could've been....

ahem.

RTSes as a genre now are in a weird spot for me because I'm not good at them. I mean I'm DECENT but I tend to have problems in simple me vs AI skirmish maps, even on easy, and I think? that's changed? given that it's been a long time since I really put time into them, but we'll see. But the real time tactical stuff makes me so happy, and their super elaborate storylines too. So it's been really neat exploring twists like AI War 2 and They Are Billions and such - they take a formula I grew up with and twist it. And going back to C&C is right back to the basics.... but with interesting stuff like how I HAVE to micro my troops as they're kind of dumb and will die to Nod if I don't lead them around properly.

As for "traditional" RTSes now I don't know if that genre exists? We get weird little games here and there (Bad North, Grey Goo come to mind) but nothing on the scale that used to exist. Which is fine, as I'm honestly not sure how the genre can evolve without twisting it ala They Are Billions. Starcraft 1 competitive play shows kind of the peak of the genre as a multiplayer thing, and when you go single-player you kind of have to go more RPG or puzzle - see Tooth n' Tail or, well, C&C.

Still, I'll be happy to be proven wrong someday. And I will always have a fond spot in my heart for this being one cornerstone of my childhood gaming experience.

This is a good post and made me remember my own childhood with these games. I've also added Grey Goo and Tooth n' Tail to my Steam cart, both are on sale.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

BexGu posted:

Well the good news is Hellraid is actually coming out now after like 6 years. The bad news is it is now demoted to DLC for an existing game.

But glad to see it sees the light of day at least.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Floodkiller posted:

Head to the Workshop and download the CFE patch for quality of life stuff like attack-move, better walls, and actual pathfinding (although I love the bumbling of the original pathfinding where you try to figure out why the hell one of your tanks is now halfway across the map in the other direction because it hit a cliff wrong).

You're beautiful, thanks!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody try out Cepheus Protocol? I ran across it today and it looks fairly promising/interesting, a open world RTS where you're trying to stop a alien virus that's turning San Francisco's population into gigazombies, reminds me of Strain Tactics a fair amount. Seems like development is fairly active too.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/979640/Cepheus_Protocol/

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Saw this as I was catching up on posts...

Cartoon Man posted:

Bought the rear end Creed franchise. Fired up rear end Creed 1 and it did not like my Xbone wireless controller at all. Had to download a controller mod, stick it in the root folder, run an config program, edit a .ini, and then it worked. Ubisoft must’ve phoned in the PC version of the remaster. Apparently I’ll have to do this too with rear end Creed 2...

Unless I've been totally in the dark there are no pre-AC3 remasters on PC. You're playing ye olde original AC1 port from the dark times of controller compatibility. They only got a firm handle on the ports starting with Brotherhood.

Also I didn't believe ya'll that they had actually torpedoed the original AC3, but yes, they did. You can get Steam support to tear out the deluxe edition and put back in the base game which will work, but then you'll never be able to get the DLC. That's loving atrocious, regardless of what you think about the game itself. Time to get my 12 bucks back.

I can't decide if I'm pissed off enough at Ubisoft to stay away from their bullshit for a while or sick enough in the head to immediately put the $12 towards Odyssey Super Ultimate Extreme edition just to get my loving copy of AC3 back.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

explosivo posted:

Oh rad, pretty sure I do own it on Origin (but I've forgot about it because, well, Origin).

Mordja posted:

RA2's sprites and voxels scale to resolution already, so a remaster would pretty much have to also redo all the graphics to be that notable. Preferably by making it so that units don't have to be voxels*. Hopefully they can actually find the film RA2 was shot on so they won't actually need to upscale. But yeah, some UI tweaks would be nice, steam workshop support, and of course an official way to play online. One side effect of the remasters is that more people are playing the newer games online through the fanmade CnCNet, there are currently over 1000 on YR right now.

*If they aren't they don't handle slopes properly.

I'd kill for some more resolution options though, even if they didn't change the graphics one bit. Red Alert 2 on my ultrawide sounds dope. Workshop/mod support would be amazing too.

Actually come to think of it, does the C&C remaster have native 21:9 support? Can't believe I didn't think of that yet.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Fallen Order is a lot of fun, and while the DS-lite element is there, the way you get more skills that open up new parts of worlds you've already visited reminded me as much of Metroid as anything else. But it seems a near certainty this game will be like $20 or less by the fall, and since it's just SP, unless one was going to play it right now there's not much rush.

Yeah, that confirms my thought process. I grew up with some Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, so adding a little DS to a modern one appealed to me when I've been really uninterested in whatever EA has done to Star Wars for a long while now. I'm sure I've got plenty of other games sitting in the backlog though (that I keep ignoring to go play roguelites), so I'll wait until this ones cheaper :cheers:

ultrafilter posted:

Iconoclasts isn't really a metroidvania like Hollow Knight is. It's very plot-heavy and the gameplay tends to be pretty linear as a result. You do get to revisit previous areas, but that's not where the focus is. If you're worried about depression, though, this might be one to skip,.

Ah, dang. Oh well then. Depression might have been a strong word to use, but it's more like with how the world is now I could really use more stuff that isn't a downer. I can take heavy themes and oppressive atmospheres just fine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Saw this as I was catching up on posts...

Unless I've been totally in the dark there are no pre-AC3 remasters on PC. You're playing ye olde original AC1 port from the dark times of controller compatibility. They only got a firm handle on the ports starting with Brotherhood.

Also I didn't believe ya'll that they had actually torpedoed the original AC3, but yes, they did. You can get Steam support to tear out the deluxe edition and put back in the base game which will work, but then you'll never be able to get the DLC. That's loving atrocious, regardless of what you think about the game itself. Time to get my 12 bucks back.

I can't decide if I'm pissed off enough at Ubisoft to stay away from their bullshit for a while or sick enough in the head to immediately put the $12 towards Odyssey Super Ultimate Extreme edition just to get my loving copy of AC3 back.

I’m kind of enjoying rear end Creed 1, warts and all. Bout to go make my first assassination. Altair is still a mega dick though...

I think I remember playing through parts of rear end Creed 2 at my friends house on a PS3 and it was much better. Can’t wait to get there.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Dying Light stuff

I remember Dying Light being a very fun singleplayer campaign with a tacked-on multiplayer mode, now I look at the store page and there's two dozen pieces of DLC. Did it transition into a Division-style looter-shooter since then? Is it worth taking another look at if I just played it at release?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Still thinking about picking up Deserts of, uh, Qatar (¿) because I like the aesthetic. How is it for people who are somewhat intimidated by standard RTS games but have played a lot of DoW/CoH?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RA2 doesn't really scale at higher resolutions, it just zooms out and makes the units super tiny. 1280x720 is pretty much the sweet spot on my 1440p, 27" monitor but it'd be nice to get native res without any scaling artifacts.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fallom posted:

RA2 doesn't really scale at higher resolutions, it just zooms out. 1280x720 is pretty much the sweet spot on my 1440p, 27" monitor but it'd be nice to get native res without any scaling artifacts.

I mean, that is exactly integer scaling, so if your card supports it that's perfect.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pierson posted:

I remember Dying Light being a very fun singleplayer campaign with a tacked-on multiplayer mode, now I look at the store page and there's two dozen pieces of DLC. Did it transition into a Division-style looter-shooter since then? Is it worth taking another look at if I just played it at release?

Not anywhere close to anything approaching a Division style shooter, still a primarily single player zombie stomper with light loot elements. DLC is all cosmetics, neat or boring weapons and some cool story stuff.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dusk, Amid Evil or Ion Fury? I like the art style of Ion Fury, never really enjoyed the grubby Quake aesthetic, but whatever has the best level design and varied combat encounters will work for me.

I love all three. Dusk is the best though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Logan 5 posted:

Yeah, that confirms my thought process. I grew up with some Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, so adding a little DS to a modern one appealed to me when I've been really uninterested in whatever EA has done to Star Wars for a long while now. I'm sure I've got plenty of other games sitting in the backlog though (that I keep ignoring to go play roguelites), so I'll wait until this ones cheaper :cheers:]
20$ is definitely a good price for it. This is not a short game and you get a lot of opportunity to explore and fight a lot of fun encounters just for the hell of it. The skills are mostly kind of boring, but the world you get to use them is pretty as hell. I would say it's worth 30$ even, just not full price.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zesty posted:

100 points in 14 days which cost them 300 points to send. Woo?
Huh. I got a community contributor badge:
"The Steam community has awarded you with 6 awards. People are really into what you're adding to the community! Congrats!"

But no way to figure out what those awards were, and for what, exactly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fallen Order really is way more of a metrovania with some soulsurgesekirobornioh trappings, and it's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Still thinking about picking up Deserts of, uh, Qatar (¿) because I like the aesthetic. How is it for people who are somewhat intimidated by standard RTS games but have played a lot of DoW/CoH?

do you mean Deserts of Kharak

if you've played DoW it should be ok