Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zenithe posted:

That is implying that it is normal to charge for rental application. For real?

:kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zenithe posted:

Is there a place where it's not?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

. oops

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Kreeblah posted:

Australia, the only place I have rented.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zenithe posted:

I just paid $200 to apply for an apartment in Denver.

edit: clarification.

$50 application fee
$150 “holding fee” that is only returned to you if you are declined.

it’s a $200 application fee if you win, $50 fee if you lose.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
How else are you going to keep poor people from applying to rent? Also, how are they going to cover paying for the background check they need to do on you?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SpacePig posted:

How else are you going to keep poor people from applying to rent? Also, how are they going to cover paying for the background check they need to do on you?

https://rentprep.com/screening-services/tenant-background-check-services-reviews/

click thru for thread content galore but they seem to top out around 20 buxs for a basic check so either your landlord is being extra nosey or profiting a nice $30 for copying and pasting your info into a web form.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any necessity to live + profit motive = EVIL

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

19 o'clock posted:

based on their Facebook page, maybe not?

that is some truly vile corporate speak

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

T-man posted:

https://rentprep.com/screening-services/tenant-background-check-services-reviews/

click thru for thread content galore but they seem to top out around 20 buxs for a basic check so either your landlord is being extra nosey or profiting a nice $30 for copying and pasting your info into a web form.

You’re failing to factor in the staffing resources necessary to order that background check.

not such a big brain business man now, are ya? you don’t know how hard it is operating a block of apartments. you’re lucky! it’s not for the faint of heart!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

T-man posted:

Oh I know it's all bullshit. It's super an excuse. My landlord made the call about my background check in front of me. It's someone they were contacted with, and weren't charged per. It's very stupid.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byzantine posted:

Birthday: February 29

that must be it

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

19 o'clock posted:

You’re failing to factor in the staffing resources necessary to order that background check.

not such a big brain business man now, are ya? you don’t know how hard it is operating a block of apartments. you’re lucky! it’s not for the faint of heart!

i have no idea what my landlord's name is, there's a nice old man who seems like he might be a superintendent and I see dumb posted flyers telling people they're not allowed to use their balcony in these specific ways. (and that rent was due during COVID but there's a forum you can submit to "work something out")

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

T-man posted:

i have no idea what my landlord's name is, there's a nice old man who seems like he might be a superintendent and I see dumb posted flyers telling people they're not allowed to use their balcony in these specific ways. (and that rent was due during COVID but there's a forum you can submit to "work something out")

yeah, that’s not far off from my current situation. it’s the downside of moving to a prime spot in Denver. fingers crossed the math shakes out for me after this initial stinger.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
It also creates a market for rental application scams where people advertise property they don't even own on like craigslist

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zenithe posted:

We were looking at an apartment to move into when our lease was up, according to the posting it had all the same amenities and was by the same rental company we go through now buy was $150 less. We paid the $50 to apply and they called me only to say "so you know this doesn't have washer/dryer hook ups or any of the utilities included right?" and i called them out as being against the posting and "oh apartments.com just posts whatever and we have no control there"

I did not get my $50 back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

19 o'clock posted:

I just paid $200 to apply for an apartment in Denver.

edit: clarification.

$50 application fee
$150 “holding fee” that is only returned to you if you are declined.

it’s a $200 application fee if you win, $50 fee if you lose.

And I thought the US had finally run out of ways to horrify and disgust me.

You're a few short years away from people having to pay to send in job applications.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You're a few short years away from people having to pay to send in job applications.
uhh paid internships where the intern is paying are a thing

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hardon Crime posted:

It also creates a market for rental application scams where people advertise property they don't even own on like craigslist

Got catfished by one of these

Sensed something amiss and called the realtor and whelp, repeat scammer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ruffian Price posted:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I’m a musician :-(

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ruffian Price posted:

otherwise known as college.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

there's also stuff like resume writing, job coaches or paid job finding things that all cost money and give an unfair advantage to whoever uses them (thus making their use the new minimum)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
disney got 10k applications for 4 superfan/intern positions that are not paid

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zenithe posted:

Australia, the only place I have rented.

Sounds like heaven (except for the part where landlords still exist). Here in the good ol' US of A, on the other hand, we believe in a thing called "personal responsibility", which means that if you weren't responsible enough to personally be born into a rich family, you'd better get used to paying out the rear end for everything.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

NZ banned letting fees at the end of 2018. We rented our place less than a week before the law went into effect so we asked if the property manager would waive the fee. They replied with a lecture in email form about how actually the fee is never "waived" and how unfair it was for the government to force landlords to pay the costs associated with renting out their properties themselves

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kreeblah posted:

Never heard of rental application fees here in the EU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dreylad posted:

disney got 10k applications for 4 superfan/intern positions that are not paid

These include the people who live in bumfuck OK or the wilds of Nebraska who will do anything to work for/be around Disney because they fully expect to audition for a character role and get it since they were the star theater kid of their high school. I knew a girl who packed up everything she had at 18, moved down to Orlando and lived out of her car to work as a minimum wage cast member and applying for every single princess character role that came up for several years before moving back to her hometown with nothing to show for it.

My point is that even in this hellworld Disney is not the metric by which to measure job market expectations. It's a separate brand of bugfuck crazy like someone still constantly proudly referring to themselves as a former cast member 15-20 years later since they worked as a park janitor for 6 months in their late teens

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And I thought the US had finally run out of ways to horrify and disgust me.

Wait till your hear about things like the NYC hellworld in which there are things like broker fees (1 -2 months of full rent) just to do basic things like a lease a new apartment.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hello capitalism.png thread enjoy this capitalism.png

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

pentyne posted:

These include the people who live in bumfuck OK or the wilds of Nebraska who will do anything to work for/be around Disney because they fully expect to audition for a character role and get it since they were the star theater kid of their high school. I knew a girl who packed up everything she had at 18, moved down to Orlando and lived out of her car to work as a minimum wage cast member and applying for every single princess character role that came up for several years before moving back to her hometown with nothing to show for it.

My point is that even in this hellworld Disney is not the metric by which to measure job market expectations. It's a separate brand of bugfuck crazy like someone still constantly proudly referring to themselves as a former cast member 15-20 years later since they worked as a park janitor for 6 months in their late teens

i knew a guy who worked for the mouse, which is how he referred to being an employee of Disney world (i think, the florida one). he worked there because he got an in from a guildy (i ended up on a wow guild with a core of people from florida). he described the experience largely in terms of being subjected to unconsenting anal sex by mickey. metaphorically.

so i guess being employed by disney is a land of contrasts

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

this, along with it being a common work from home gig for purposes of health accommodations, is why im currently workin on turning my 30-year programming hobby into a money career

learning 2 code to own the reaper

What sort of stuff are you doing to try and move from hobbiest to professional? Thinking of doing this myself.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

landlord wants us to sign a covid-19 waiver stating he's not liable if we get sick while he shows the house we've lived in for 13 years in the middle of a pandemic and scramble to find another place to rent in the same school district

there isnt a slow, rusty enough guillotine. we're not signing poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

boar guy posted:

landlord wants us to sign a covid-19 waiver stating he's not liable if we get sick while he shows the house we've lived in for 13 years in the middle of a pandemic and scramble to find another place to rent in the same school district

Nothing says you can't poo poo in the middle of every room when they're there to show the place off.

Or fill a room with bees

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Nothing says you can't poo poo in the middle of every room when they're there to show the place off.

Or fill a room with bees

or poo poo bees

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

boar guy posted:

lol what if anything of value is he offering in return for waiving your rights?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1277646951429832709

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1277639615550275587

EDIT: lol, CNBC edited the article already, but they can't edit the tweet with the original headline.

Doggles has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Jun 29, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Not a Children posted:

lol what if anything of value is he offering in return for waiving your rights?

'not loving with our security deposit', the only leverage he has in this situation

fortunately, several lawyers seem to think they can't show the house without the waiver which were are in no way signing

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hah! After 13 years that deposit has basically disappeared into the ether anyway. gently caress 'im and leverage your rights under the law to their fullest extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Hah! After 13 years that deposit has basically disappeared into the ether anyway. gently caress 'im and leverage your rights under the law to their fullest extent.

we sent him a very clear letter asking what we had to do to get our deposit back in full and he said 'don't trash the place, patch nail holes and take all your stuff with you when you go'

he didn't spend any money on maintenance in 13 years. literally none. he doesn't have a leg to stand on to claim any of the security deposit and by law, was supposed to have put it in an interest-bearing savings account :eng101: