Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i think it was Disgaea D2? that would crash your entire PS3 every time a relatively common spell was cast by anyone. the games NISA chooses to translate makes them strike me as true weebs with a passion for weird/pervy/oddball/sometimes actually pretty good RPGs combined with a staggering lack of talent and a lot of people on staff with bad fetishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. They have some really, really, really bad stuff.

(The Japanese for this is "searching for a husband." Forgive the LP icon, just grabbed the first screenshot I could find.)

Out of curiosity, what's "Open-Minded" Healer meant to be in Japanese? Because I get the feeling that one's off the mark too considering the real outlier.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

(The Japanese for this is "searching for a husband." Forgive the LP icon, just grabbed the first screenshot I could find.)

goddamn it I was just going to start this game, does it have a lot of weird nonsense in the TL?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
NISA released YS 8 on PC and somehow hosed it badly enough that it launched with 8 way movement, like it was a ps1 game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MockingQuantum posted:

goddamn it I was just going to start this game, does it have a lot of weird nonsense in the TL?

No, the rest of the game is just fine really.

Though there is an Obsidian Spear where the description mocks Obsidian for making buggy games which is some real glass house rock throwing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i don't know why but i'm now imagining a kotor 2 with a gungan character walking around going "nisa gonna break the final boss' scripting"

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, the rest of the game is just fine really.

Though there is an Obsidian Spear where the description mocks Obsidian for making buggy games which is some real glass house rock throwing.

lol that's catty as hell and I love it

Phantasium posted:

i don't know why but i'm now imagining a kotor 2 with a gungan character walking around going "nisa gonna break the final boss' scripting"

whatever you're doing here, stop it, I won't be able to get it out of my head for an hour now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Can NISA stop publishing things other companies put out and ruining them with their poo poo translations? I’m playing “Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen” after playing the “Mask of” games and the quality went to hell. The main character says “gently caress” in his internal monologue at one point which doesn’t match his character at all, and then shortly afterward in a comedic scene a character falls into a manure pit but Hakuowlo calls it the villages “Diarrhea Swamp”

A DIARRHEA SWAMP ISN’T EVEN A loving THING.

Now I want a JRPG character that's just the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, what's "Open-Minded" Healer meant to be in Japanese? Because I get the feeling that one's off the mark too considering the real outlier.

From looking it up "open-minded" is... well, it's not totally inaccurate, but "tolerant" or "compassionate" might be better, and personally I'd pick "pious" for the second. The third one actually is the outlier.

Incidentally, either this wiki has a bad case of copypaste or it appears that the male priest has the same set of personalities?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 27, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The third one is such a specific term in Japanese I'm not sure how they could translate it but "Pregnant" certainly isn't the way to

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with it was that the gameplay boiled down to "Make a team of three really strong people, using most of your extra knights to farm OP equipment. win" most of the time.

yeah that was kind of a problem in the original too, although if you have multiple fronts to defend this isn't always going to go perfectly. the same old ways to build teams and cheese the game still seem to work, although they appear to have made it so react can miss, which sort of brings some cheese into line. or maybe it only works on units outside their turn now? i dunno

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Is NISA the new Working Designs?
No, the guy still fell into pit full of poo poo, they didn't completely invent the pit so they could use the phrase "diarrhea swamp" like WD would, and then give it gameplay ramifications

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

so let's say i think these awful translations are actually really funny. is disgaea 5 ok to buy at full price then? i could get it on the cheap for steam but if i could play this in handheld mode o baby

Mokinokaro posted:

The third one is such a specific term in Japanese I'm not sure how they could translate it but "Pregnant" certainly isn't the way to

get into the head of the translator, why was this solution chosen? because their mind immediately jumped from "shes searching for a husband" to "--> because she's pregnant"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 27, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

END ME SCOOB posted:

No, because I at least believe NISA is more incompetence than malice.

You mean because Working Designs made some of the games they localized harder, or because of the massive liberties they took with the localization changes?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Max Wilco posted:

You mean because Working Designs made some of the games they localized harder, or because of the massive liberties they took with the localization changes?

I mean, why not both? I don't recall NISA attempting to "rebalance" anything into the ground, despite bugs, and while there are clunky localization choices and some sloppiness from a tiny company (culminating in the absolute disaster of Ys 8's launch), especially in the modern age they tend to correct and patch egregious works which are never on the level of "let's have old men argue about rap for no reason".

NISA feels like they're in over their head. Working Designs is loving up proudly and telling you the poo poo stain on the plate is a skid mark of quality.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Xseed are generally portrayed as the good guys in these conversations, but I still remember the time they removed an enemy from Wild Arms 4, thereby making it impossible to have a complete monster library, which made it impossible to 100% completion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Clarste posted:

Xseed are generally portrayed as the good guys in these conversations, but I still remember the time they removed an enemy from Wild Arms 4, thereby making it impossible to have a complete monster library, which made it impossible to 100% completion.

tbf wild arms 4 was literally their first localization ever so. i can see how it would be a bit wonky. not like any of their tls in the past like decade share much staff with it

nisa is way way bigger and keep repeating the same missteps to varying degrees of severity

the pandora's tower bug kinda sucked tho and while i can get the reasons for it on a business level it kinda sucks that they sold the free updates for the jp version of story of seasons as paid dlc in the us considering they're owned by marvelous and marvelous owns the loving game to begin with. i wouldn't blame the loc staff for the latter though really that's just managerial bullshit

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 27, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

so let's say i think these awful translations are actually really funny. is disgaea 5 ok to buy at full price then? i could get it on the cheap for steam but if i could play this in handheld mode o baby

I bought it on PS4 because I didn't have a Switch and I had a blast, having only played maybe 5 hours of 1 poorly, on my laptop. But it was one of those games I wasn't expecting to be able to afford to play till 2025 once Playstations were 130$ or something so take it with a grain of salt, because it was a series I didn't think I'd be able to get a hold of but wanted to try.

With less 'Aw man, I'm never gonna play this thing, negativity, you'll probably think differently of it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I bought it at full price on three separate occasions, and I'd happily do it again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

It goes on sale often enough but I don't regret having bought it at full price. The translation has its share of jank but it's still a really great game despite that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

i need more details on this because Lite Edition sounds like it might be "show up with this lovely stock character whose stats you can't improve. but if you buy the full game, you can level up!"

e: oh it's like not even the full game, if you can only do 13 dungeons then you can probably do 60-70% of the main quest and you can't complete the game lmao fuckin trash. nice bait though

struggling to understand the outrage that having most of a game for free is bad

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Most of the translation is fine and it's generally a goofy game in the first place so those mistakes really don't hurt it. It's the most polished and accessible game of the series since it's also the finale (at least for a long while.)

It has gone on sale on Switch digitally before though so if you can wait, wait. Keep an eye on dekudeals.com

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A random thought occurred to me: what other RPGs have Level [x] Death spells? I've played I think a decent number of RPGs yet Final Fantasy is the only one with a spell that kills you if your level is a multiple of a number, usually 5 I think. At least I can't remember any other RPGs I've played with this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Erg posted:

struggling to understand the outrage that having most of a game for free is bad

want to see the ending? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lmao

gently caress that horse poo poo predatory practice, baiting is extremely anti consumer

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of the translation is fine and it's generally a goofy game in the first place so those mistakes really don't hurt it. It's the most polished and accessible game of the series since it's also the finale (at least for a long while.)

It has gone on sale on Switch digitally before though so if you can wait, wait. Keep an eye on dekudeals.com

cool thanks guys. i'll probably get it, not sure if it'll be on pc or switch but it's not like i need it RIGHT NOW. i'll keep an eye on this site then

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 27, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

A random thought occurred to me: what other RPGs have Level [x] Death spells? I've played I think a decent number of RPGs yet Final Fantasy is the only one with a spell that kills you if your level is a multiple of a number, usually 5 I think. At least I can't remember any other RPGs I've played with this.

"Level 5 Death" is more of a FF thing but many RPGs have a conditional insta-death trigger.

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress that horse poo poo predatory practice, baiting is extremely anti consumer

So... demos are predatory practice?

S-E has been putting out demos where you can carry your gameplay on to the main game for a while now and they are usually praised for it. The point of demos is in fact to sell games to people and that's predatory insomuch as their intended goal is to make you want to purchase a video game, but getting upset that a video game company wants you to buy their video game seems odd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 27, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

It's free.

It's not like Asura's Wrath where you have already paid for the game then still have to buy the DLC to get the ending.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

im not sure where the expectation is coming from that they're going to give away a whole game for free? it's labeled Lite and they say you can play up to 13 dungeons in the announcement so where are they saying "this is the full game teehee"

like are you mad that they didn't call the game Crystal Chronicles Remastered: The 70% demo version? when i saw the announcement i was like "ah, that's cool i can play it for 5 hours with my friend who actually likes it" and seeing you get up in arms is so surprising

e: and yeah unless this is actually some $15 lite version i don't see anything wrong with it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

So... demos are predatory practice?

S-E has been putting out demos where you can carry your gameplay on to the main game for a while now and they are usually praised for it. The point of demos is in fact to sell games to people and that's predatory insomuch as their intended goal is to make you want to purchase a video game, but getting upset that a video game company wants you to buy their video game seems odd.

idk i guess it's this very specific scenario where they let you play ALMOST the entire game with someone who owns the full copy, but if you want to actually see the ending, you need to shell out full price.

like ffcc's ending is nothing special and i'd go so far as to say fairly unsatisfying but i think if you're going to give that much of it away for free, it's kind of a dick move to hide the final stage and ending behind what is essentially a paywall

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

idk i guess it's this very specific scenario where they let you play ALMOST the entire game with someone who owns the full copy, but if you want to actually see the ending, you need to shell out full price.

like ffcc's ending is nothing special and i'd go so far as to say fairly unsatisfying but i think if you're going to give that much of it away for free, it's kind of a dick move to hide the final stage and ending behind what is essentially a paywall

I mean I can kind of understand that but on the other hand if you've enjoyed the game enough to play 13 dungeons worth of it then it seems like it's either worth your money or you've burned out on it and seeing something you can Youtube isn't going to change your mind.

It isn't like you have the full game unrestricted either. You can only play it with the person who has the existing copy and other such things. The paywall is 'the full version of the game'.

But then again I came from the days where I survived on shareware versions of Doom so maybe I just don't view it the same way. This just basically reads to me as "shareware FF:CC"

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

The White Dragon posted:

get into the head of the translator, why was this solution chosen? because their mind immediately jumped from "shes searching for a husband" to "--> because she's pregnant"
healers are HE. someone either dislikes gays or loves mpreg

Zushio
May 8, 2008
A free app is the new 4 GBAs and Link Cables.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

healers are HE. someone either dislikes gays or loves mpreg

No, 5 has them of both genders and the "pregnant" personality ones are women.

https://disgaea.fandom.com/wiki/Cleric_(Disgaea_5)

Male healers have:
Naughty
Manly
Optimistic

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh i figured the suffix was cleric

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How will I live without seeing the epic conclusion of FF Crystal Chronicles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's actually really cool

the story of CC in general is very cool and unconventional although it's told in probably the most multiplayer unfriendly manner possible, as small unconnected snippets that you're kinda just supposed to remember later.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
optimistic (about mpreg)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I was annoyed about the FFCC thing before I found it actually still has couch co-op. I still wish more co-op games did not require a full purchase to play but uhhh I understand that is not exactly a great business model to sell 1/4 as many games as you normally would

(really I just wish more games did multipacks but it seems like that only happens on steam)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

I was annoyed about the FFCC thing before I found it actually still has couch co-op.
i'm 99% sure it doesn't, where did you learn this

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I don't care about Square's scummy exploitive business practices like "including a free demo with too much content". However, it is extremely important that they include the game-long collectathon whose reward is a really lovely snes-style mario kart ripoff that goes on way too long and can't be quit out of early. That and the cow race are amazing trolls and a new generation deserves to experience them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Amppelix posted:

i'm 99% sure it doesn't, where did you learn this

hmmm, I found a few articles from back in March that said that it would have couch co-op based on the Playstation Store page for the game having a "local co-op" thing listed, but it looks like that page no longer exists

Co-Optimus also lists it as having local co-op but I dunno its source on that https://www.co-optimus.com/game/5762/nintendo-switch/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition.html