Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Give it an indigenous name for best middle finger to ol Johnny Wayne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The Los Angeles Airport of Santa Ana

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

I want you to know I really like this joke.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Now that the OC is increasingly no longer uniformly terrible I need to find a new region to hate. I’m thinking Bakersfield.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Still Dismal posted:

Now that the OC is increasingly no longer uniformly terrible I need to find a new region to hate. I’m thinking Bakersfield.
Hawaiian Gardens / Los Alamitos.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's always fashionable to hate Riverside county.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Class Warcraft posted:

It's always fashionable to hate Riverside county.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Still Dismal posted:

There are still plenty of places in California to dunk on. I would go with the State of Jefferson area or any of the enclaves where the wealthy segregate themselves to like Palos Verdes Estates.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Let's call it the César Chávez International Airport, to own all the Repubs

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
That is actually unironically a really good idea.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

The meltdowns when Army Street in S.F. was renamed Cesar Chavez were incredible and that was before the internet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Infinite Karma posted:

Nah, save that for Woodland Sacramento.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dolores Huerta airport to even more piss off the Republicans

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

luminalflux posted:

Dolores Huerta airport to even more piss off the Republicans

I likey this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Start a loving petition because that's the one

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Considering its an Orange County airport, name it after Sylvia Mendez

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Class Warcraft posted:

lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
NIMBY field

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Maldita Cruz Airport

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

e.pilot posted:

NIMBY field

With Nextdoor Terminal

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

can we re-name the airport terminals to spell out L G B T Q

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

we got the harvey milk terminal at SFO. not the whole airport because people whined, but at least a terminal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

luminalflux posted:

we got the harvey milk terminal at SFO. not the whole airport because people whined, but at least a terminal.

can we get rampgate terminal aswell so trump will bomb SF

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Still Dismal posted:

The High Desert.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

LGB is already Long Beach.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

change it to some high profile youtuber

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Milkshake Duck International Airport.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Trying to figure out how to name it ACAB, but I might need to settle for an airforce base

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SolarFire2 posted:

LGB is already Long Beach.

Long Beach Tacos and Quesadillas

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We’re start to close up again

https://twitter.com/gavinnewsom/status/1277320192188575747?s=21

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kudos, incidentally, to the owner of my local dive bar who didn't try to reopen at all despite this being a touristy as gently caress place.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

My workplace is already planning on how some staff will wfh for the rest of the year. People who have been working off-site came in and collected some personal and ergonomic stuff, as they don't expect to be back soon.
On the other hand, some managers are back in the office most of the week and it feels all noisy and crowded now. Go home!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

My office told me I shouldn't expect to be back this year

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The SJPD has a racist facebook group where they "joke" about abusing and killing black and muslim people.

https://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/sjpd-officers-mock-muslims-blm-protesters-on-facebook/

quote:

The South Bay’s largest police agency is just a degree removed from a suspected assassination plot against author-activist Shaun King, one of the nation’s most prominent voices in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Billy Dishman—who retired from the San Jose Police Department in 2006 before going on to lead Tracy PD’s Internal Affairs Unit—was named as one of the ex-cops being investigated by the FBI for making online death threats against King. Though Dishman left SJPD long ago, he’s part of a closed Facebook group of current and retired San Jose cops that’s reportedly very similar to the one that became part of the FBI probe this week.

Under the pseudonym Charlie Paulsen on Medium, the partner of an active San Jose PD officer (whose identity has been independently confirmed by San Jose Inside) cites troubling comments and memes by members of a Facebook group called 10-7ODSJ—a name that refers to police scanner code for “off duty.”

Much of the content cited on Medium disparages Black Lives Matter and—of particular concern for a department being sued for alleged Islamophobia—Muslims.

A post by retired SJPD cop William Rockmiller links to an article about a woman whose hijab was yanked off by a Los Angeles cop.

The link prompted mocking responses from fellow 10-7ODSJ members, including a quip about repurposing religious head coverings into nooses.

Active SJPD traffic cop Mark Pimentel—one of the officers who policed protests outside City Hall in recent weeks—chimed in with a variation on the joke.

“Hell,” he wrote, “I would have pulled it over her face.”

Another response comes from retired officer Michael Nagel, who shared a meme of a “Sharia Barbie” with a black eye, hijab, Quran, and, it states, “stoning accessories available for additional purchase.”

“It is obvious what these officers think about Muslims and we must question how these cops applied their racist views while in uniform,” the Medium author notes. “For example, how many times has Officer Pimentel pulled over a woman with a hijab for ‘speeding’ or a ‘broken taillight?’”

Meanwhile, Steve Wilson, who retired from SJPD last year, has been popping off about the people protesting George Floyd’s killing, calling them in various posts “animals” and likening them to Antifa and “the same trash” who turn out for Cinco de Mayo.

Some of the social media posts go back several years, but the blogger said they remain relevant because of the positions the involved officers hold to this day.

For example, a 2015 update from Sgt. Chris Sciba “racially profiles and stereotypes all Muslims as being terrorists,” the Medium author wrote.

“The hypocrisy in this is that Sgt. Sciba is currently assigned to the Training Unit, where he teaches about race-bias policing to academy students, officers, sergeants, lieutenants and captains,”
the blog goes on to state. “Does SJPD feel that this post is acceptable and does not go against their policies of enforcing a workplace free of hostility and discrimination? Obviously, that they hired Sciba to teach on the very subject of race-bias policing, we have to ask if SJPD shares the same view that Sciba has on Muslims, and allows such racist stereotypes to exist. After all, not even the lieutenants or captains told Sciba that his post is inappropriate. How can we know that Sciba hasn’t infused his anti-Muslim sentiments into the classes he teaches? How do we know that officers who took his class and see his post aren’t saying, ‘Well if Sgt. Sciba is okay with calling all Muslims terrorists, it must be okay with the work policy, right?’”

More recently, in May 2019, Sgt. Fabrice Bellini posted an image of a commemorative coin titled “Stinkin’ Lincoln: To Hell and Back Every Night.” The author says the satirical token refers to “District Lincoln” in San Jose, a beat comprising a mostly Vietnamese and Latino residents as well as large concentrations of homeless encampments.

“Stinkin’ Lincoln is a name applied to these people by SJPD, and is accompanied by feelings of disdain when an officer is assigned to work in this district, ‘the trash’ of San Jose,” the author remarks. “The coin was so popular that officers asked for coins for their entire team, a request Bellini enthusiastically said he can fulfill. That officers openly celebrate their disgust about these minority and marginalized groups through a coin, we should question the kind of policing that occurs in this district they call ‘hell.’”

A few years ago, San Jose PD had to publicly grapple with social media remarks made by one of its veteran patrolmen. In 2016, Officer Phillip White prompted fierce public backlash over a Twitter rant that began by criticizing Black Lives Matter and devolved into thinly cloaked threats of violence.

Chief Garcia roundly denounced the statements and placed White on desk duty. But attorneys from the local police union made sure the top brass couldn’t fire the officer, however much they wanted to. White ultimately won his job back through arbitration.

Mayor Liccardo said he hopes to avoid that outcome this time around, and that these kinds of situations are exactly why he hopes the city will adopt the nine-point accountability plan he unveiled earlier this week.

“Our chief fired an officer for tweeting a similar statement in 2016, but an unaccountable arbitrator—immune from public or court review—reversed the termination, and forced the department to reinstate the officer,” he said. “For that reason, as I articulated in my police reform proposal this week, I will push for changes to a disciplinary process that allows unaccountable arbitrators to reverse termination decisions of the chief, and I will further push for independent investigation of all racially discriminatory conduct. This is precisely why these reforms are so important.”

Since deleted from the Mayor of San Jose:

https://twitter.com/thesajidakhan/status/1276920603589480448?s=20

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Also teachers would absolutely be fired for saying any of those things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah lol a teacher would be gone in a heartbeat.

Liccardo is a loving piece of poo poo, news at 11.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

get ready for this to be the norm for at least the next year: local and and regional chance-of-death forecasts.

e: drat, there was an anime that had those but i can't find any good screenshots of it to really get my point across

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 29, 2020

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

xcheopis posted:

My workplace is already planning on how some staff will wfh for the rest of the year. People who have been working off-site came in and collected some personal and ergonomic stuff, as they don't expect to be back soon.
On the other hand, some managers are back in the office most of the week and it feels all noisy and crowded now. Go home!

Goodpancakes posted:

My office told me I shouldn't expect to be back this year

Our office was planning to come back in the next couple weeks, complete with an email stating that our culture is "in-office" and how that was never going to change, but with the recent spikes they delayed until late July to see how things shake out.

Pretty sure they'll have to acquiesce and admit that we can't come back in but I'm also sure they're going to try and revisit the issue every few weeks since the Boomer leadership can't seem to cope with WFH long-term.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My Fortune 500 employer (engineering consulting) is saying that the office will reopen in the next month or so but that going to the office ill be optional; the default approach should be to continue to work from home unless there is a specific business justification for working in the office. They already reduced us from three floors to two in the building (that consolidation was planned before Covid-19) so I'm assuming that someone in corporate real estate is seeing throbbing dollar signs on a rent bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Meanwhile in the Central Valley

https://twitter.com/pumpkindarling/status/1274419051775721472?s=21