Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I liked collecting biofuel at first, the game spaces it so that it was just starting to become a pain in the rear end when I unlocked coal.

I think if you spend like 15 minutes killing wildlife you could probably get enough Carapaces to get you a container's worth of biofuel pretty quick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As if the people posting goatse wasn't bad enough, you all post those images...

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

So I restarted at the desert, and spawned relatively close to the waterfalls.

After getting to the stage of advanced steel, WTF? This area is much easier than the grasslands simply because everything I need is relatively close. Less than 1500m, at around same level, and mostly not guarded by passages filled with gently caress you-critters and no need to climb 200m cliffs or stupid poo poo like that?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is biofuel sustainable or do I need to beeline to coal?

Honestly i've never had a problem with biofuel even with dozens of burners.

Container -> Leaves to Biomass -> Biofuel -> Container
Container -> Wood to Biomass -> Biofuel -> 2-3 Containers
Container -> Carapace to biomass -> Biofuel -> 2-3 Containers

But I find it relaxing to take a tractor and a chainsaw into the forest and also habitually clear all wildlife around my factories so that when I pave nature I can do it in an aesthetic manor so early game I often run out of room in the input containers as the biofuel fills up.

And later I convert the lines to biocoal, which actually produces a ton more than you think once you no longer need biofuel but have piles of greenery to erase. Good for local steel production among other things.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

So I restarted at the desert, and spawned relatively close to the waterfalls.

After getting to the stage of advanced steel, WTF? This area is much easier than the grasslands simply because everything I need is relatively close. Less than 1500m, at around same level, and mostly not guarded by passages filled with gently caress you-critters and no need to climb 200m cliffs or stupid poo poo like that?

Grasslands is easily the worst of the starting zones in almost every aspect.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Killstick posted:

Jesus Christ

where is your god now

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Smiling Demon posted:

Pretty though

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Smiling Demon posted:

But that's just... loving stupid since its the one "recommended" for anyone who wants to start the game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think grasslands is ok for someone really new to the game. It has a lot of plants and food items so you never have to worry about it. The dune desert is low on plants and whatnot, so a new player might have a harder time getting started, whereas an experienced player would have a better time because it's very open and there is a lot of room to build things.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I bet grasslands is payed out like it is to encourage exploration for the mid to late tier resources. If everything was conveniently close and plentiful, what reason would there be for a new player to go and explore?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

gotta say I enjoy this lets game it out guy's voice and joke's more than zxibitzit

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grasslands seemed okay to me? There's not a lot of coal, but it's also not that far, and while it's in odd spots, it's not that hard to get to.

When I started in the western desert, the coal it pointed me to was up a ridiculous cliff. There's certainly some more easily accessible coal in that area, but it was out of range of my scanner.

Black Griffon posted:

gotta say I enjoy this lets game it out guy's voice and joke's more than zxibitzit
I think the hypertube video was both the first gameplay I saw for Satisfactory, and the first I saw from their channel. I can't help but get a slightly weird vibe from that channel, but there's some good stuff on it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oxyclean posted:

I think the hypertube video was both the first gameplay I saw for Satisfactory, and the first I saw from their channel. I can't help but get a slightly weird vibe from that channel, but there's some good stuff on it.

Yeah, the channel is this sort very impersonal Gameplay™ Videos™sort of deal that I really don't feel like following, but this Josh characters seems like a treasure.
Edit: okay so it's only Josh but it's totally that high-turnover-gaming-channel vibe for some reason.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 28, 2020

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

Grasslands seemed okay to me? There's not a lot of coal, but it's also not that far, and while it's in odd spots, it's not that hard to get to.

Have you gotten to oil, yet? I agree that coal was fine and a neat trek (and a neat encouragement to start setting up serious conveyance) but oil was like 3KM away through fuckin' jungles filled with creatures I had never seen before but which definitely looked like they wanted to eat my head.

I got to the location of the oil, looked around at where I ended up, gave serious thought to the sheer amount of effort it was going to be to get any of this poo poo I had never dealt with a full 3KM back to my base and proceeded to re-start in the Western Desert.

When the Western Desert said "hey, coal is up this giant mountain" I said, "sure, but it's no grasslands oil" and climbed that fucker

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
IMO grasslands quartz is worse than grasslands oil.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Smiling Demon posted:

gently caress, I never even got close to quartz, I can't even imagine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

skeleton warrior posted:

Have you gotten to oil, yet? I agree that coal was fine and a neat trek (and a neat encouragement to start setting up serious conveyance) but oil was like 3KM away through fuckin' jungles filled with creatures I had never seen before but which definitely looked like they wanted to eat my head.

I got to the location of the oil, looked around at where I ended up, gave serious thought to the sheer amount of effort it was going to be to get any of this poo poo I had never dealt with a full 3KM back to my base and proceeded to re-start in the Western Desert.

When the Western Desert said "hey, coal is up this giant mountain" I said, "sure, but it's no grasslands oil" and climbed that fucker

I have 2 super long paths with conveyors going across the world to my oil source (the closest one lol), and I use a yeet cannon to get there and back causes it would take me like 2.5 min of running to get there. It was a process building those paths to get there, goddamn

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do you accurately build yeet cannons to get you there and land safely with jello without a million deaths attempting it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Qubee posted:

How do you accurately build yeet cannons to get you there and land safely with jello without a million deaths attempting it?

Get a "willing" "volunteer" to test it out for you and place the jello where they stop being a person and start being a corpse.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

Getting to oil in the grasslands was so annoying I just said gently caress it and built around the edge of the map

how to brute force oil production:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The grasslands are a great example of closest rarely being the easiest

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Qubee posted:

Launch yourself once, die, go to where the crate with all your stuff is, put the jello there. Only one death necessary to zero it in!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Smiling Demon posted:

They both seem equally bad to me.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Someone mentioned tractor and clearing terrain and I got excited for a second thinking the tractor has an AoE clearing function to get rid of large swaths of flora easily.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Killstick posted:

Jesus Christ

This being used for the only item that would be affected by being at an incline is :chefkiss:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This is my new favorite way to feed a 3-up manufacturer set up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

skeleton warrior posted:

gently caress, I never even got close to quartz, I can't even imagine

It's awful. Steam says I have 30 hours of playtime, all in the same multiplayer game. Both of us have spent the last 15 hours trying to get access to quartz and we're not even close yet. Your options are

a) Up a mega mountain across a ridiculously wide valley and up a bunch of steep poison cliffs. There are what look like several foot paths but they're all dead ends and frequently the natural bridges are guarded by the kind of aliens that can charge and knock you back. Back and off the bridge. Probably some other bullshit because I still haven't made it all the way to the quartz deposit.

b) Up a mega mountain, through a murder forest filled with duos of super aliens followed by a poison valley and I don't even know what else because that's where I gave up.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why is quartz that important? And with regards to the aliens, they're pretty easy to juke. Just keep bunny hopping and more often than not they'll either charge right beneath you, or their shots will miss. I've gone against those real big bastards and he smacked me one time and took a tonne of my health away, so I just started bunny hopping to avoid him when I realised it wasn't a fight I could take.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Qubee posted:

Why is quartz that important? And with regards to the aliens, they're pretty easy to juke. Just keep bunny hopping and more often than not they'll either charge right beneath you, or their shots will miss. I've gone against those real big bastards and he smacked me one time and took a tonne of my health away, so I just started bunny hopping to avoid him when I realised it wasn't a fight I could take.

Quartz unlocks access to the map.

Maybe the aliens are easy in single player. In multiplayer, the aliens are horrible awful glitchy disasters which frequently both teleport and turn invisible. Oh, and they can also run up sheer cliffs. The charging aliens can hit you with melee attacks while you are in midair. Sometimes they glitch out and stand still while you slowly beat them to death. Sometimes they don't take any damage at all when you hit them, and then murder you invisibly. You never know which you are going to get until they kill you. And because everything is so very far away in the grasslands start, corpse-runs take ages. Even with hypertubes going most of the way.

None of which mentions the super spider aliens that can create poison gas clouds and run faster than you can turn to keep them in sight.

Or the fireball shooting aliens that can see and shoot you from beyond the distance at which the game will draw them, even with all of the video settings and draw distance options I can find maxed out. (I play and develop VR games on this same computer. The problem is not my graphics card.)

We die so often I built an oops chest room with half a dozen chests each loaded with the best weapons, healing items, and equipment needed to retry a fight. When one of us dies, we step out of the hub, into the oops room, hit the take all button from one of the chests, and off we go. Of course, you need rubber to get the real best weapons (rifles, at least I hope they're better than what we have now), and we can't even attempt that yet because we haven't unlocked the tech tier needed for oil.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 28, 2020

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

LLSix posted:

It's awful. Steam says I have 30 hours of playtime, all in the same multiplayer game. Both of us have spent the last 15 hours trying to get access to quartz and we're not even close yet. Your options are

a) Up a mega mountain across a ridiculously wide valley and up a bunch of steep poison cliffs. There are what look like several foot paths but they're all dead ends and frequently the natural bridges are guarded by the kind of aliens that can charge and knock you back. Back and off the bridge. Probably some other bullshit because I still haven't made it all the way to the quartz deposit.

b) Up a mega mountain, through a murder forest filled with duos of super aliens followed by a poison valley and I don't even know what else because that's where I gave up.

I don't know what quartz you are going for but I got to two pure nodes super easily from the grasslands. I set up a coal power plant at the big lake with four coal nodes next to it and went through the valleys northeast to two pure quartz nodes with 0 gas on the way and only a couple big aliens to clear out. I think you're going the wrong way, I never encountered anything remotely close to what you're describing. Oil is easy too, you just set up a mini base over by the oil nodes in the mushroom forest. The other side of the lake from the oil nodes has copper, coal, limestone and iron all close together ready to get a little outpost set up no problem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

I don't know what quartz you are going for but I got to two pure nodes super easily from the grasslands. I set up a coal power plant at the big lake with four coal nodes next to it and went through the valleys northeast to two pure quartz nodes with 0 gas on the way and only a couple big aliens to clear out. I think you're going the wrong way, I never encountered anything remotely close to what you're describing. Oil is easy too, you just set up a mini base over by the oil nodes in the mushroom forest. The other side of the lake from the oil nodes has copper, coal, limestone and iron all close together ready to get a little outpost set up no problem.

How did you know quartz was there? I set up my coal powergen in the same lake (I assume) and when I scanned for quartz nothing came back. Which now that I think about it, is pretty weird.

Either way, thanks for the tip. That sounds way easier than what we've done already.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 28, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had no idea quartz was that useful, drat. And those aliens sound awful tbh, I think they're much easier in singleplayer. I've never had the shooty fiery boys nail shots from out of draw distance. I reckon a lot of your problems stem from it being online and maybe dealing with lag. Good luck in your alien adventures, I want an oops room now.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Jeez I forgot how quartz was a scam in the grasslands starter.

LLSix posted:

*alien issues*

Going out on a limb here, but have you both tried to set the game to ultra network settings? It helped for me and my coop buddy.

Anyway, I'mma leave this here for your viewing pleasure:

https://gfycat.com/unrealisticincrediblechrysalis

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

LLSix posted:

How did you know quartz was there? I set up my coal powergen in the same lake (I assume) and when I scanned for quartz nothing came back. Which now that I think about it, is pretty weird.

Either way, thanks for the tip. That sounds way easier than what we've done already.

Must be a scanner bug, I got a hit on the scanner and went for it. I think I've always gotten some kind of response from the scanner. I do play single player though so it would not surprise me if multi was just broken in that way too

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Meanwhile, the western forest area has quartz about 200m away. Forest/jungle starting area really is the best...

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Dunno if I should start over or just wait it out and build a new megabase in the jungle. I guess the flipside of the argument is grasslands is super easy to build on, I imagine jungle has barely any space due to all the trees.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

tear everything down, pack the essentials and go on a voyage to your preferred spot. you can pretty much run from everything on the way.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Quartz sucks if you start in grasslands but it makes for the perfect first skywalk + drop down delivery system that will serve as a basis for a bunch of other things.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Musluk posted:

Jeez I forgot how quartz was a scam in the grasslands starter.

Going out on a limb here, but have you both tried to set the game to ultra network settings? It helped for me and my coop buddy.

Anyway, I'mma leave this here for your viewing pleasure:

https://gfycat.com/unrealisticincrediblechrysalis

Wait, is it my blade runners that are making the hypertubes cannons not work? gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Never found the quartz in the grasslands start to be a huge problem, by the time I need it I usually have access to trains and it was the perfect opportunity for a skybridge + train combo to ship quartz back to the plains.