Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

since they've never mentioned its existence in marketing (and very pointedly say *online* multiplayer in the new trailer too) the only real conclusion to draw is that it doesn't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

optimistic (about mpreg)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The best voicebanks in Disgaea 5 are the Ninja who speaks broken Japanese like a tourist, and the cute female Sage who talks like an old man. Don't @ me.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

optimistic (about mpreg)

Hell same

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm in a bizarre situation where Steam would literally give me 3 AUD to accept a copy of Mugen Souls. I'm still not sure it's worth it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm in a bizarre situation where Steam would literally give me 3 AUD to accept a copy of Mugen Souls. I'm still not sure it's worth it.

It's not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

I wouldn't accept it for less than 10.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FractalSandwich posted:

I think steam prevents any transaction where it's costing you negative money from going through, so you wouldn't actually get the money. Or the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i assume they mean in addition to buying a game that costs around $27 or something

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

The White Dragon posted:

ok it's a dreadful translation but it's a sss-rank phrase

and this is NISA? what happened to them? i guess the biggest game of theirs to me is Disgaea 1, and that had a fantastic translation. did the company change hands or something?

I think there was a goon here a long time ago that worked at NISA and they mentioned a good portion of the team was really creepy and worked on different projects than main line Disgaea, like the Neptunia games. I think most of those people moved on to Idea Factory International who continued to embrace meme translations. I don't know what happened to them now but their translations really depends on the game. Disgaea 5 was fine, and so was Cold Steel 3. Everything else ranged from cringe to outright unreadable (pre-patch Ys 8)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i assume they mean in addition to buying a game that costs around $27 or something
Exactly that, yeah. But I don't want to let them bait me into spending more than I originally planned to, so I'm looking for things that cost between precisely $4.55 and $7.55.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hey RPG thread, I recently brought Ys 8 for Switch on a whim. I'm 3 dungeons in and i've been really enjoying it, enough that i'm actually pretty disappointed in myself that despite Ys being a long running and decently popular series in a genre I like I don't know anything about it.

I'm thinking i'll play through the rest of the series once i'm done with Ys 8 and is there any recommendation for where I should start? I can see a bunch of games got rereleased for PS4 or put on Steam, but what's considered the best of the series?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm thinking i'll play through the rest of the series once i'm done with Ys 8 and is there any recommendation for where I should start? I can see a bunch of games got rereleased for PS4 or put on Steam, but what's considered the best of the series?

Of the 'party' type Ys, 8 is probably the best but 7 and Celceta are real fun too. The mid-group..a lot of people will say Origins, but I like Oath in Felghana a lot more. Ark of Napishtim isn't bad, but it's the lesser of the three (and the first of that style). 1 & 2 are their own thing and pretty dated but I still think they're fun. Hard to say where you should start, though, probably just whichever catches your fancy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey RPG thread, I recently brought Ys 8 for Switch on a whim. I'm 3 dungeons in and i've been really enjoying it, enough that i'm actually pretty disappointed in myself that despite Ys being a long running and decently popular series in a genre I like I don't know anything about it.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of them, though if you start with 1&2 collection they have a weird bump combat system that some people dont get on with, I still find them fun though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

The mid-group..a lot of people will say Origins, but I like Oath in Felghana a lot more.
Oath has more varied environments, as origins is entirely inside a tower so it's basically lost anything "outside" as a possibility, but I remember Origins being a bit smoother to control, especially if you were trying to cast magic. As such if you're gonna play both, do Oath first, unlike me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Of the 'party' type Ys, 8 is probably the best but 7 and Celceta are real fun too. The mid-group..a lot of people will say Origins, but I like Oath in Felghana a lot more. Ark of Napishtim isn't bad, but it's the lesser of the three (and the first of that style). 1 & 2 are their own thing and pretty dated but I still think they're fun. Hard to say where you should start, though, probably just whichever catches your fancy.

I was thinking of playing Memories of Celceta next but now i'm wondering if I should try one of the games that has a completely different style of play. Sounds like it could be a nice change of pace before going back to the party system.

I should also have asked which game has the best soundtrack since I think one of the main reasons i'm loving Ys 8 is that Sunshine Coast has been playing on loop in my head for the past few days. Although the one thing I knew about Ys before I brought the game was that the series is supposed to have excellent music so i'm sure they're all good in that department.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was thinking of playing Memories of Celceta next but now i'm wondering if I should try one of the games that has a completely different style of play. Sounds like it could be a nice change of pace before going back to the party system.

I should also have asked which game has the best soundtrack since I think one of the main reasons i'm loving Ys 8 is that Sunshine Coast has been playing on loop in my head for the past few days. Although the one thing I knew about Ys before I brought the game was that the series is supposed to have excellent music so i'm sure they're all good in that department.

All the Ys soundtracks are great but I like Felghana's best

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I’m in the early game of Octopath Traveler and chanced upon a road leading off the beaten path. I go in and it’s level is like one higher than my highest character so I figure I would be okay.

I ran into three wild boars that used two party wides and wiped me. :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lord Ephraim posted:

I don't know what happened to them now but their translations really depends on the game. Disgaea 5 was fine, and so was Cold Steel 3. Everything else ranged from cringe to outright unreadable (pre-patch Ys 8)

NISA have been running extremely lean since at least Disagaea 5 from my understanding.

The Japanese side of the company NIS was on the brink of insolvency a few years back but is holding on almost solely due to NISA. The games they actually develop have never sold well except Disgaea and losing Idea Factory and GUST put them in dire straits.

XSEED are in similar trouble after losing the Falcom titles and the Senran Kagura fanbase boycotting them over Sony censorship. Their Marvelous titles are doing well though so I doubt they're going under.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 28, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

All the Ys soundtracks are great but I like Felghana's best

I'd agree on this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

XSEED are in similar trouble after losing the Falcom titles and the Senran Kagura fanbase boycotting them over Sony censorship. Their Marvelous titles are doing well though so I doubt they're going under.
It's less 'senran kagura fanbase boycotting them' and more 'they had to delay the release of one of their tentpole titles by months with no warning because Sony screwed them over'

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Durendal posted:

I’m in the early game of Octopath Traveler and chanced upon a road leading off the beaten path. I go in and it’s level is like one higher than my highest character so I figure I would be okay.

I ran into three wild boars that used two party wides and wiped me. :allears:

Yeah, you can actually explore the whole octopath map from the beginning to get some good loot, the only issue is not wiping to the random encounters.

Combining the scholar reduced encounters with the fact save points reset random encounters means you can get to places like Grandport way early.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

It's less 'senran kagura fanbase boycotting them' and more 'they had to delay the release of one of their tentpole titles by months with no warning because Sony screwed them over'

Yeah...No clue where this boycott narrative came from.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol i just looked up the reason it was delayed and jesus loving christ japan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shinzo abe personally signs every copy of senran kagura and they sing the japanese national anthem as the copies are pressed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rabidsquid posted:

mandrakes, lizardmen and centaurs seem to be a little less OP now than they used to be.

But what about breath weapons? Because those were the real OP mechanic and I remember using the prince's pet dragon to cheese fights with Zemekis immediately after starting a new game.

MockingQuantum posted:

goddamn it I was just going to start this game, does it have a lot of weird nonsense in the TL?

It's a Disgaea game so it has weirdness in both the TL and the source materla. Just play it, it's great and I enjoyed playing through and breaking the game over my knee* on the Switch.

Since it has all the DLC, you can grab characters from D1-4 almost immediately too. You don't need those characters, but why wouldn't you want Desco? Some of the units have Evilities that are pretty bonkers once you start setting up squads and building for specific purposes. Grinding out character stats isn't too bad. It's probably better than in D4 but I abused the shop dupe glitch (before it was patched) after wasting too many loving hours on PPS dupe bullshit in 3.

*I never got around to beating LoC Baal.

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, you can actually explore the whole octopath map from the beginning to get some good loot, the only issue is not wiping to the random encounters.

Combining the scholar reduced encounters with the fact save points reset random encounters means you can get to places like Grandport way early.

And if you have Therion in your group (plus luck and/or patience), well... yeah GG.

There's also a very good glaive right outside of one of the towns in the forest of no return (I think) that isn't too bad to run to even without the reduced encounter passive, but it helps. With the passive and patience you can definitely dive some lvl 45+ areas to grab chests with ch4-grade gear pretty quickly.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Endorph posted:

shinzo abe personally signs every copy of senran kagura and they sing the japanese national anthem as they molest children

ftfy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

one weird trick! internet moderators hate them! you too can be racist but in a woke way if you accuse the entire nation of japan of being pedophiles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i, too, like to casually imply an entire nation is comprised of child molesters

E: too slow

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

what the gently caress is wrong with you

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

ah yes saying japan has a problem with the sexualization of minors is racist

lmao

like did you guys even read about the "intimacy mode" that is causing the delay to senran kagura

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

sometimes i joke about america and the fact that it has a gun problem too, sorry for being racist

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't think anyone was defending senran kagura's honor here, friend

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

dmboogie posted:

one weird trick! internet moderators hate them! you too can be racist but in a woke way if you accuse the entire nation of japan of being pedophiles

so just to be clear you don't think Japanese society has a problem with the sexualization of minors

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

so just to be clear you don't think Japanese society has a problem with the sexualization of minors

i think there are absolutely japanese works of media that have gross pedoshit in them, and that is a bad thing; but i am not qualified to talk about japanese society as a whole and i feel it is bad to go "wtf japan is a nation of child molesters" when you are criticizing the actions of a specific developer

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

dmboogie posted:

i think there are absolutely japanese works of media that have gross pedoshit in them, and that is a bad thing; but i am not qualified to talk about japanese society as a whole and i feel it is bad to go "wtf japan is a nation of child molesters" when you are criticizing the actions of a specific developer

except its not jsut a specific developer, its many developers and manga and anime studios, loli stuff is pervasive. I don't think it's stretch to say that japanese society at large has a serious issue with that, and using "japan" as shorthand for "japanese society" is not an uncommon idiom.

like if you want to accuse me of making a bad GBS joke fair enough but dont loving call me racist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

japanese people molest children

*a bunch of people call me racist*

WHAT THE gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you said black people shoot each other a lot people would also call you a racist fyi

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Japanese culture has a problem with oversexualization of school girls... how is this even up for debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bronze Fonz posted:

Japanese culture has a problem with oversexualization of school girls... how is this even up for debate?

nobody is debating that, but saying 'lol japan' when one dumb thing exists and following it up with saying 'singing the japanese national anthem as they molest children' is not, in fact, saying 'japanese culture has a problem with oversexualization of schoolgirls'