Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I think that dryness really captures the design motif of the era. I am tempted to back it just based upon how gorgeous (within the theme) it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not KS related, but potentially check out PAN-AM? It might fill a similar niche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PffdA3az6Mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzngkY7W6Rg

Allegedly it is very good, but I have not invested much time into looking at it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TORG Eternity have the reward levels (not pledge, since they're using Game On) for their upcoming Tharkhold cosm book and it feels like things have increased in price across the board. King of a lot.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Well with about 40 hours left to go, the Role Kickstarter has successfully funded and even met one of its stretch goals. Another thing they demoed the other day is the addition of a whiteboard and token tracking feature which wasn't originally listed as something it was going to have at launch.

Cards on the table, I will be working on Lancer: Battlegroup along with Miguel Lopez, so to an extent I have some skin in this. It looks like the KS is funding so that's fine. That said I certainly don't dispute or disagree with any of the opinions that it does seem like Role is attempting to compete in a field of stiff competition with fairly nebulous strengths. I hope it works out for them because hey, a LFG/game chat thing with its own storefront could be handy, and the stretch goal which was funded is an expanded and integrated set of safety tools worked on by the creators of the TTRPG Safety Toolkit. I kind of think that the Kickstarter campaign itself could have been "hyped" a bit more though I will admit I think they got a decent selection of designers to collaborate with them. The timing was kind of rough what with everything in the world going on right now but, well, not really a lot you can do to plan for that.

Honestly I backed this purely for Lancer: Battlegroup but, in the process, kind of became interested in the core product itself since my only gaming for months has been an ancient snail-pace PbP.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Emerald Flame looks interesting. A bit pricey for the total game time, but the production values seem good and it looks like it comes with some nice feelies.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm gonna check this out properly tomorrow, but Thunderworks (Makes of one of my current fav games Cartographers) has just launched Roll Player Adventures.
From the very very very brief parts I have seen it looks like Choose Your Own D&D Adventure and it could absolutely loving rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQbJ8MMnfw

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152516291/roll-player-adventures

--------------------------------------------

Merchants of the Dark Road is also on it's last 72 hours, and I think it's worth your time to have a look.
It fulfils a couple of personal niche things I like in board games, and I'm quite looking forward to playing it.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
In Too Deep being taken down because it was about to be successfully funded but didn't look like it was going to rake in all the money and meet its stretch goals is a good encapsulation of why I am getting a bit fed up of Kickstarter. I'd much rather a game set a suitable funding level for the required extras, put other things as add-ons and run a straight up campaign. I was pretty interested in checking out ITD but this kind of working the angles approach has soured me on it a little bit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that's a dick move for sure, that's the creator straight up getting what they claim they need but pulling the rug out anyway.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Better than not acknowledging they lied about what they need and never producing anything?

A dick move for sure, but in terms of lovely Kickstarter outcomes, canceling seems worlds better than the usual 'take the money and run.'

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
just put the stretch goals before the campaign goal, problem solved

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah that's a dick move for sure, that's the creator straight up getting what they claim they need but pulling the rug out anyway.
I remember when the tiny epic people did that for heroes of land, sea, and air or whatever it was called.

Which I've heard is really bad.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Sanguine just launched a Kickstarter for a new expansion to Ironclaw:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanguine/book-of-corals-new-options-for-the-ironclaw-role-playing

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty good, and I'm hoping all the stretch goals get hit so we get all the interesting species.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tsilkani posted:

Sanguine just launched a Kickstarter for a new expansion to Ironclaw:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanguine/book-of-corals-new-options-for-the-ironclaw-role-playing

Sounds like it's gonna be pretty good, and I'm hoping all the stretch goals get hit so we get all the interesting species.

Very excited about this. Ironclaw is such an underrated system.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Very excited about this. Ironclaw is such an underrated system.

I can't find an Ironclaw thread in TG; could you tell me what's cool about it?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I can't find an Ironclaw thread in TG; could you tell me what's cool about it?

Okay, so to get it out of the way at the start: Ironclaw is a furry game.

Not in a sex pervert way, but all the characters are humanoid animals. Have you seen Disney's animated Robin Hood? It's exactly that.

The system is moderately crunchy, using pools of dice, but I think it's easy enough to get the hang of. Setting is medieval fantasy Europe, with expansion books for kung-fu China and fantasy India.

Night10194 actually did a Fatal and Friends review here: https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/night10194/ironclaw-squaring-the-circle/

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Awesome, thanks for the link. I only started posting in TG recently, so I didn't really get the whole Fatal and Friends thing and keep forgetting there's an off-site archive

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Awesome, thanks for the link. I only started posting in TG recently, so I didn't really get the whole Fatal and Friends thing and keep forgetting there's an off-site archive

It's a treasure trove in there!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, Disney's Robin Hood is exactly it. Also, the combat system is extremely brutal once you start fighting so it has more grit than I expected.

I appreciate having 80+ races to choose from, honestly. Easy to make memorable Npcs because, hey, that guy is a tiger.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Disney's Robin Hood? Pshaw! It's obviously Redwall.

Otherwise why would the character I made way back in '99 be a blatant rip-off of Cluny the Scourge?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Redwall would be a much easier sell for my group

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Question, are there wombats?

Can I be a combat wombat?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Question, are there wombats?

Can I be a combat wombat?

With a few more stretch goals, yes :pcgaming1:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I am going to stan the poo poo out of :siren: Merchants of the Dark Road :siren: though because it looks really loving good, and has a bunch of systems my gaming groups will enjoy.
I really really like the "Your final score is the lowest of your Fame Vs Money scores." mechanic. Fame is public. Money is hidden. Which I find really engaging from a "can I still win this" perspective where some players zone out towards the end of the game.

Currently backing the All-in Ultra Mega Deluxe tier because they have bi-coloured metal coins (And metal coins are my achilles heel)

This extended gameplay video does an excellent job of showing how the game operates at a good pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGczFMBTTdg

Gonna bump this one last time, cause I think it looks great.

They've added a bunch of great stuff to it via stretch goals that look like they'll help improve the quality of the game a bunch.
The latest goal of $400k was just passed as well, so they're adding a solo adventure mode :swoon:

I've unfortunately had to drop down to the $1 tier due to an unexpected bill, otherwise I'd be on the All-In Ultra Deluxe pledge.
More KS should have the $1 post campaign pledge manager access tier.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

With a few more stretch goals, yes :pcgaming1:

I wish I had a regular P&P crew, cause this would be a lot more enticing :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cosmodrome have managed to deliver the Smartphone Inc v1.1 upgrade kit and the v2.0 game, despite everything. The upgrade kit is a double layered board, three and a half punch sheets, five minis and the new bigger box to hold it all with the base game, which is drat good value for $15.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jedit posted:

Cosmodrome have managed to deliver the Smartphone Inc v1.1 upgrade kit and the v2.0 game, despite everything. The upgrade kit is a double layered board, three and a half punch sheets, five minis and the new bigger box to hold it all with the base game, which is drat good value for $15.

It's funny because I kind of forgot what the Kickstarter for this game was and when I got the shipping email for it, just from the title I was expecting something like a small box travel game. Then the thing got here yesterday and it was like 30 pounds.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I know I'm several days late commenting on this, but hopefully that's okay.

Redundant posted:

In Too Deep being taken down because it was about to be successfully funded but didn't look like it was going to rake in all the money and meet its stretch goals is a good encapsulation of why I am getting a bit fed up of Kickstarter. I'd much rather a game set a suitable funding level for the required extras, put other things as add-ons and run a straight up campaign. I was pretty interested in checking out ITD but this kind of working the angles approach has soured me on it a little bit.

One of the game companies I did freelance work for used to tell me that this was standard practice by most "big" companies: You have your funding goal, but it's specifically calculated to be a number that you'll likely hit on day one (so you can say "we funded in 1 day!" and use that as marketing), not actually the amount of money you need. Then you have your actual goal, the amount you need to actually manufacture the game and make your money, which is generally a few times the advertised funding goal. The Stretch Goals are things you intended to include in the base game anyway. You don't tell anybody this, naturally. If you don't hit the secret goal, you can always cancel, or you can accept what you got so far and seek the rest elsewhere. Basically, it's a glorified preorder system for a game you intended to make anyway.

I strongly dislike that model. I am of the opinion that if you're a company that can afford to produce/release a game without crowdfunding, if your game would exist without Kickstarter, then you shouldn't be using Kickstarter for the game at all. Every "preorder" campaign takes the attention/bandwidth away from the struggling designers, creators, and businesses that KS was created for, and every mishandled leviathan campaign erodes the trust of KS backers in general. I realize I've got the unpopular opinion, because everyone wants that $500 20 pound box of minis and stickers and whatnot, but it really feels like an unfair use of what the platform was supposedly meant to serve.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spookyelectric posted:

I know I'm several days late commenting on this, but hopefully that's okay.

One of the game companies I did freelance work for used to tell me that this was standard practice by most "big" companies: You have your funding goal, but it's specifically calculated to be a number that you'll likely hit on day one (so you can say "we funded in 1 day!" and use that as marketing), not actually the amount of money you need. Then you have your actual goal, the amount you need to actually manufacture the game and make your money, which is generally a few times the advertised funding goal. The Stretch Goals are things you intended to include in the base game anyway. You don't tell anybody this, naturally. If you don't hit the secret goal, you can always cancel, or you can accept what you got so far and seek the rest elsewhere. Basically, it's a glorified preorder system for a game you intended to make anyway.

I strongly dislike that model. I am of the opinion that if you're a company that can afford to produce/release a game without crowdfunding, if your game would exist without Kickstarter, then you shouldn't be using Kickstarter for the game at all. Every "preorder" campaign takes the attention/bandwidth away from the struggling designers, creators, and businesses that KS was created for, and every mishandled leviathan campaign erodes the trust of KS backers in general. I realize I've got the unpopular opinion, because everyone wants that $500 20 pound box of minis and stickers and whatnot, but it really feels like an unfair use of what the platform was supposedly meant to serve.
Oh yeah I'm absolutely positive most companies do the fake stretch goal thing and it drives me loving nuts. I always say there are two kinds of stretch goals - the fake ones they planned on, and the real ones that will derail the project.

However, I think it's mostly fine for even pretty big companies to use KS. It helps them get the word out, it helps them gauge interest, and I think it's a "rising tide lifts all boats" situation to an extent, because it gets more eyes onto KS and more people used to using it. Engaging with the community like that can also directly improve what you are trying to sell them, by collecting feedback.

Like, take Frosthaven. It ended up way bigger than anyone could have predicted. And now, it won't be scarce like a different, non-kickstarted release just last week - Jaws of the Lion, which was extremely hard to find.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm pretty OK with a big company using KS to do something that's otherwise risky or niche.

Mantic gets a bad reputation for it, but the conventional mini wargame release model is to put out a handful of partial factions, then hope to God those sell well enough to fund the rest of the line. It rarely, if ever, worked out that way prior to KS.

Similarly, SJG's Ogre super-set would have been business suicidal to fund traditionally. Stores aren't going to order a coffin-box $200 edition of a 30 year old game and hope that someone buys it.

That's not to say companies aren't gaming the system, but that isn't a universal situation.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
That's a totally fair point.

I just see these small designers/companies with good games really trying to use the platform in good faith, and then big companies who were going to make their many-dollars without it, and I wonder if that's fair. But you're both right. KS gets attention to those niche games, and a lot of good games that wouldn't normally get made only exist because of KS, regardless of the company's size. And that's a good thing.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 28, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I continue to disagree with the idea that big companies doing projects are somehow stealing backers from smaller projects. If anything I think it has the opposite effect - it brings more people to Kickstarter and their attention tends to spread onto other projects as well. But I definitely think it's bullshit to ask for less than you actually need to make the game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I came to KS for a bigass CMON project and the oversized IDW skirmish Batman game but have since supported three $50 or less small press boardgames so yeah, can attest.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

moths posted:

I'm pretty OK with a big company using KS to do something that's otherwise risky or niche.

Mantic gets a bad reputation for it, but the conventional mini wargame release model is to put out a handful of partial factions, then hope to God those sell well enough to fund the rest of the line. It rarely, if ever, worked out that way prior to KS.

Similarly, SJG's Ogre super-set would have been business suicidal to fund traditionally. Stores aren't going to order a coffin-box $200 edition of a 30 year old game and hope that someone buys it.

That's not to say companies aren't gaming the system, but that isn't a universal situation.

I mean, how many board game companies have exploded because they fatally misjudged the demand for a project? It's going to be a very high percentage of them, particularly once you add in companies that have had a flop and taken a massive finacial hit. Kickstarter as a store for preorders before manufacturing is massively helpful to 'right size' your print run for the demand and derisk bringing new games to market.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Looks like flying circus is finally shipping!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think games are kinda risky, low-margin products. It doesn't bother me at all that "big" companies use KS to make sure the market is there for a product.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I feel like Kickstarter has largely failed as a "help me make my dream product come true" platform but it's killing it as far as a highly-visible preorder platform.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Look at Stonemaier games as an a example of what can go wrong w/o KS (obviously other self-inflicted issues wrt Stegmaier himself too).

Between two castles: total flop as far as I can tell, loads of copies sitting on shelves for months after release

Wingspan: Underproduced and not in stock reliably anywhere until a year after first release. Some of that is due to SM accidentally ordering thousands less than intended or something ridiculous but still.

Tapestry: Guarantee this game would have done much better with a KS release because KS crowd lives for plastic, possible exposure during KS could have addressed issues with the game instead of errata months after release.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of weird KS Marketing Moves. The Intrepid Kickstarter is offering backers a "Free Expansion Valued At $30! Wow!" incentive.. but like... if you are offering that $30 to literally everybody are you not making a statement that Base Game+1st Expansion is the intended way to play the game? Are you not simply giving people at retail a lesser product?

Box that poo poo in! Kickstarters should be used to improve the quality of the final product as much as possible! If you're going to go that route simply call it what it loving is and offer backers a Base Version and a Deluxe Version. I guess I'm just a big softie for smaller campaigns that get to go "Yay we hit this stretch goal and now we can use better card stock! Here's screen printed meeples! Want some better dice? You got it bud!"

Very quickly on the topic of Intrepid: I don't think it's a game I would personally enjoy, but I love that it's basically this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKW-Gd_S_xc
turned into a board game.

Bodanarko posted:

Wingspan: Underproduced and not in stock reliably anywhere until a year after first release. Some of that is due to SM accidentally ordering thousands less than intended or something ridiculous but still.

Wingspan being sold out literally everywhere also created this aura of exclusivity. "It's so highly ranked on BGG, and I can't get it anywhere! It must be INCREDIBLE! I must buy it!" It suckered me in until I saw SUSD's review of it. I pretty much agreed with what Quinns had to say about it.. it doesn't look like a game I'd get much enjoyment out of, and I'm pretty keen for engine building games.

quote:

Tapestry: Guarantee this game would have done much better with a KS release because KS crowd lives for plastic, possible exposure during KS could have addressed issues with the game instead of errata months after release.

On the flip side, this went to the discount pile incredibly quickly. One of my FLGS has it for 47% off! $170 down to $90! The cheapest you can get in Australia is $74 :laffo:
I've heard mixed to middling reviews on it, but I wonder if they also over extended on the back of Wingspans 'scarcity'/success.

If it drops down to sub $50 it might be a bargain level pickup :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Before I toddle off to bed there's a couple of KS that might interest goons

1822 - The Railways of Great Britain is closing in just under 24hrs. Apparently you nerds like 18xx games.
Tales of BarBEARia - Under 60hrs. Cute looking dice/drafting/battle game. I was personally considering backing it, but I'm tapped out of my EOFY slush funds. (They're educational tools people :v:)

I'm probably pausing backing anything else for a bit I think. The Mayday Crokinole 2020 board is probably my last big pickup for the year. They also registered on the forums recently, so feel free to annoy them and they might answer questions for you. They actually came into the main thread to address quality concerns a little while ago.
It's also dope that they're finally shipping to more places than just the US+Canada, so I'm actually getting it direct shipped via the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Nice! Everyone deserves access to a good crokinole game.