Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

therattle posted:

Starmer is now ahead of Johnson in polling. God forbid we sacrifice some ideological purity for actually winning an election.

20 points ahead you say? Cool, next week's election is finally gonna make Labour a party of government again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

therattle posted:

The Peake interview made an untrue association between Israel and George Floyd’s death, which even Amnesty has said is incorrect. Wrongly associating Israel with an act for which it has absolutely no responsibility is not legitimate criticism of Israel and Zionism. So why make the connection? RLB knew that AS was a sensitive issue and she hasn’t even properly apologised (unlike Peake). I broadly agree with the Freedland article.

Starmer is now ahead of Johnson in polling. God forbid we sacrifice some ideological purity for actually winning an election.

Stfu

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I’m sorry I posted something you disagree with, in response to other posters. I’m just still staggered by how much denialism there is of AS as an issue within Labour, despite even the leaked report confirming it.

The point about elections being a long time away is sadly a good one. My concern is that by the next GE this government’s appalling (that word isn’t strong enough) handling of Covid will be somewhat forgotten.

FWIW, this Johnson government is even worse than I feared. As for Priti Patel, it seems like the primary qualification for Tory Home Secretary is a near-pathological lack of empathy.

therattle has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Jun 28, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

therattle posted:

The Peake interview made an untrue association between Israel and George Floyd’s death, which even Amnesty has said is incorrect. Wrongly associating Israel with an act for which it has absolutely no responsibility is not legitimate criticism of Israel and Zionism. So why make the connection? RLB knew that AS was a sensitive issue and she hasn’t even properly apologised (unlike Peake). I broadly agree with the Freedland article.

I too read that article from the New Statesman. To which I will reply with this:

https://www.amnestyusa.org/with-whom-are-many-u-s-police-departments-training-with-a-chronic-human-rights-violator-israel/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I didn’t read that article. I didn’t deny that Israelis have trained US police. But they didn’t train the police who killed George Floyd, or teach them that restraint. There is no connection between Israel and George Floyd. So why make one? (And in RLB’s case, then refuse to withdraw it)? What a stupid hill to die on.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-did-israeli-secret-service-teach-floyd-police-to-kneel-on-neck

It’s not like American police need lessons in brutal violent racist tactics.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Policing is occupation. Robert Peel invented it based on his experiences in Ireland, and modern techniques were and are pioneered and field-tested in the open-air prisons of Gaza and the West Bank.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

Policing is occupation. Robert Peel invented it based on his experiences in Ireland, and modern techniques were and are pioneered and field-tested in the open-air prisons of Gaza and the West Bank.

Yeah, like I said, I don’t think US police need training in brutal violent tactics. I’m pretty sure they used them in the years before 1967. And I am pretty sure that knee-to-neck was used prior to that too. Why are you so determined to link this to Israel?

I actually don’t mind RLB. And poo poo like this is really depressing

As if Covid hadn’t underlined the importance of unions.

therattle has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Jun 28, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

therattle posted:

the point isn't just to win an election, it's to do good things while in power, and starmer isn't gonna do that

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/FullFact/status/1277285632415596545?s=20

quote:

Mr Starmer was head of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) when the decision not to prosecute Savile was made on the grounds of “insufficient evidence”. The allegations against Savile were dealt with by local police and a reviewing lawyer for the CPS.

When the investigation report was published in January 2013, Mr Starmer said in a statement that he accepted the conclusions and hoped it would be a “watershed moment” for the CPS.

He said: “I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the shortcomings in the part played by the CPS in these cases.

“These were errors of judgement by experienced and committed police officers and a prosecuting lawyer acting in good faith and attempting to apply the correct principles. That makes the findings of Ms Levitt’s report more profound and calls for a more robust response.”

A spokesperson for the CPS said that, “in line with the established data retention policy”, none of the records for the decision not to charge Savile in 2009 were kept.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

therattle posted:

I’m sorry I posted something you disagree with, in response to other posters. I’m just still staggered by how much denialism there is of AS as an issue within Labour, despite even the leaked report confirming it.

i'm not in denial about it i just want you to stfu

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
so now that the options in the UK are batshit crazy conservatives or centrist neolibs, has anyone actually thought about creating a party on the left?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If AS is such a big issue for Labour why does Rachel Reeves still have a front bench job and why hasn't the editor of the Independent been sacked for publishing that article

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

oliwan posted:

so now that the options in the UK are batshit crazy conservatives or centrist neolibs, has anyone actually thought about creating a party on the left?

Welcome to FPTP hellworld

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

therattle posted:

Yeah, like I said, I don’t think US police need training in brutal violent tactics. I’m pretty sure they used them in the years before 1967. And I am pretty sure that knee-to-neck was used prior to that too. Why are you so determined to link this to Israel?

The struggle is singular. Why are you so determined to divide it?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

oliwan posted:

The green party exists and will never be in a position to do anything thanks to fptp.

I've basically given up on campaigning on any issues except electoral reform.

To throw my oar in about RLB, she was a complete dumbass if she didn't realise the consequences of her actions.

For all his faults Starmer cannot on one hand criticise the Tories for refusing to remove racist party members and then turn around and do the same thing, however slight the offense. He already knows the media will be against him as it is without this own party sticking the knife in.

Edit: to clarify I'm not saying RLB is racist, she just shared a dumb article and should have known better. The Tory party, however, is stuffed with them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

oliwan posted:

There's no time for electoralism now, it's all about ingratiating yourself with a power bloc for the collapse.

Edit: The article wasn't anti-semitic.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you think the article RLB was worth sacking her over you've basically admitted any leftist can be sacked for any reason and you'll be able to justify it.

Again, its clearly a factional issue since Rachel Reeves still has a shadow cabinet job.

In any case it just shows that Starmer is not interested in party unity with the left and the left needs to decide what to do about it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dravs posted:

The green party exists and will never be in a position to do anything thanks to fptp.

I've basically given up on campaigning on any issues except electoral reform.

To throw my oar in about RLB, she was a complete dumbass if she didn't realise the consequences of her actions.

For all his faults Starmer cannot on one hand criticise the Tories for refusing to remove racist party members and then turn around and do the same thing, however slight the offense. He already knows the media will be against him as it is without this own party sticking the knife in.

Edit: to clarify I'm not saying RLB is racist, she just shared a dumb article and should have known better. The Tory party, however, is stuffed with them.

Wholly agree.

I also think that Reeves should have been sacked or should have at least immediately apologised about Astor. It’s a clear double standard.

Doc Hawkins posted:

The struggle is singular. Why are you so determined to divide it?
That’s a glib attempt to make a pretty abstract connection between things which have no actual link like the article posited.

therattle has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jun 28, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

oliwan posted:

George Galloway has started a new party that captures the spirit of the times by being leftwing but also hating gays and wearing flat caps

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Its not about racism though, its purely about antisemitism because that's all the press cares about. Otherwise Wes Streeting, Jess Phillips and Peter Mandleson would be getting seriously investigated for anti-black racism, not to mention the sitting MPs and councillors who openly despise travellers

Note he Tories are smelling blood in the water over this and Priti Patel and other Asian/black Tories are asserting that any criticism of them is racist knowing that the Labour leadership will likely be unwilling to take up that fight

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

therattle posted:

This is a really good twitter thread about why Peakes claim is antisemitic, probably unknowingly:

https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1276252148259487749?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AScribbledEagle/status/1277316721523806208?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1276295569426862080?s=20

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OrthoTrot posted:

This is a really good twitter thread about why Peakes claim is antisemitic, probably unknowingly:

https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1276252148259487749?s=20

I’m sure it’s unknowingly. It usually is. And when it’s pointed out, some people recognise it and apologise, and others double down (often complaining that they aren’t allowed to criticise Israel).

Nandy is calling for sanctions over annexation. Annexation is wholly wrong morally, legally and pragmatically. I am not entirely sure about sanctions (haven’t done enough reading) but her call is certainly not AS.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DTI

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DTI?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Destruction to Israel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

Destruction to Israel.

I looked it up. It’s not Dept of Trade and Industry or Debt to Interest ratio. In this context it’s apparently Death to Israel, which I suspect you know but we’re too cowardly to actually write when asked. Why is that?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

therattle posted:

I looked it up. It’s not Dept of Trade and Industry or Debt to Interest ratio. In this context it’s apparently Death to Israel, which I suspect you know but we’re too cowardly to actually write when asked. Why is that?

Because it is a criminal settler state bent on the genocide of the Palestinians, and plenty of Israeli's oppose this terrorism perpetrated on their fellow citizens.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oliwan posted:

I hate this fucker so much

same

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

therattle posted:

death to israel

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
hello my name is therattle and i love colonial states and want to kiss them on the lips

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Nonsense posted:

Because it is a criminal settler state bent on the genocide of the Palestinians, and plenty of Israeli's oppose this terrorism perpetrated on their fellow citizens.

I'm actually not sure anyone's disagreeing with that. The guy in the twitter thread I quoted uses pretty much exactly the same language.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

Yes, I oppose it too. I believe in Israel's right to exist, but I cannot stand the current government, hate Netanyahu, and think annexation is deeply wrong. I am sure that everyone here gets equally worked up about Saudi Arabia (my personal fave), Sri Lanka, Brazil, Russia, Syria, etc, right? I see people writing "Death to Saudi Arabia!" all the time. And Australia too, for that matter.

Continuity RCP posted:

hello my name is therattle and i love colonial states and want to kiss them on the lips

Believe it or not I don't really value the opinion of someone who believes a spectacularly discredited ideology. Let me guess, it just hasn't been implemented properly yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

members of the british ruling class are about the least likely people to bother investigating pedophiles, for obvious reasons

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

therattle posted:

Yes, I oppose it too. I believe in Israel's right to exist, but I cannot stand the current government, hate Netanyahu, and think annexation is deeply wrong. I am sure that everyone here gets equally worked up about Saudi Arabia (my personal fave), Sri Lanka, Brazil, Russia, Syria, etc, right? I see people writing "Death to Saudi Arabia!" all the time. And Australia too, for that matter.

Believe it or not I don't really value the opinion of someone who believes a spectacularly discredited ideology. Let me guess, it just hasn't been implemented properly yet?

Friend, the objective science of Leninism-Frank Furedi Thought has been tested and found to be correct

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

therattle posted:

lol my dude the examples of people with correct takes on genocide and apartheid being whatabouted into irrelevance as a discursive tactic not to talk about genocide or apartheid was just a few posts behind you, itd be real funny if that were to be the exact argument you chose to break into this particular discussion

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dravs posted:

Have you seen the article? I don't disagree that it was dumb, but it mentions Israel exactly once at the end of an eye-glazing paragraph which has nothing to do with the rest of its text. It would be lovely if people could curate their social media feeds to contain no lovely journalism, but I'm not sure how you'd get anywhere as a UK politician like that.

If you think RLB wasn't getting purged the second Starmer found the barest excuse, or that she could maintain an indefinite social media presence without giving him one, you're still an optimist.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

death to israel

Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

therattle posted:

you sound like a really thick rear end in a top hat op, please gently caress off