Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
My favourite part of Unicorn is the Juaggu in episode 4.

...why does Juaggu have a trunk anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
To conjure the spirit of the deadliest land animal, the bipedal gun-handed elephant.

Not gonna lie, mostly re-visit Unicorn for Marida. Would guess that's not an un-common sentiment, tho'.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

To conjure the spirit of the deadliest land animal, the bipedal gun-handed elephant.

Not gonna lie, mostly re-visit Unicorn for Marida. Would guess that's not an un-common sentiment, tho'.

Unicorn's interesting in how much better the supporting cast is than the lead. Marida's good, Bright's Bright, Otto was a solid spin on the in-over-his-head captain archetype, Zimmerman has arguably the best arc in the show, the ECOAS guys are cogs with souls, Full Frontal's functional as a Char who's all mask and no face... even Riddhe's good. I mean, he's a prick and he kills the best character, but his internal conflicts are interesting, and his attempts to escape his legacy without realizing how much he's shaped by it form a solid core for his arc. He's a great rival for Banagher.

...It's just that there's Banagher. And he's boring. He has a lot of scenes where he almost gets that bit of spark to go from plot device to character, but he always falls just short. Minerva's better, with scenes like the hostage crisis and the cafe cementing her as a person, but more time than I'd like is spent with her being jerked about by the plot rather than making decisions.

Banagher's a bunch of interesting themes and ideas that never quite click together, and that makes the whole plot not quite work, since he's at the center of everything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Mineva. And Episode 4. And the main Unicorn theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40mZVnQCTs

But yeah, other than that and a few scenes here and there, it's a lot of nothing.

Banagher is like the ur-Gundam MC stripped of all real character and reduced to what everyone thinks a Gundam MC should be. He's easily the worst part of the series. If he was even slightly compelling it be better.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Unicorn had a lot of great music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSIIYFTRpE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode 4 is the best because it deals with the last remnants of the OYW Zeon forces and their doomed, ultimately pointless rush for martyrdom. It's harsh and cruel and it's the first time in the series that Banagher chooses to do something rather than being a passive whiny kid.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Episode 4 is the best because it deals with the last remnants of the OYW Zeon forces and their doomed, ultimately pointless rush for martyrdom. It's harsh and cruel and it's the first time in the series that Banagher chooses to do something rather than being a passive whiny kid.

Makes you think of the Federation's shamble efforts to clear Earth of Zeon remnants.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burns posted:

Makes you think of the Federation's shamble efforts to clear Earth of Zeon remnants.

To be fair the Federation is barely any more alive than the Zeon Remnants, they've been dying an extremely slow death from the moment Zeon first declared war, and it'll continue on that path until it dies for good towards the end of the second century of the UC calendar(both G-Savior and Gaia Gear are in agreement about this, as is the most recent Crossbone stuff)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im glad the federation is dead tbh

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In the Return of Johnny Ridden, a bunch of Zeon sailors on Earth basically chat up the protagonist and crew and it's revealed the Federation navy is deliberately slow on chasing leads and following up on reports of odd sailors from coastal towns because it's their continued presence and implied threat that keeps them funded. In return the navy just happens to fail to sink them when they do come into contact and Zeon sometimes even makes off with valuable supplies. This is pre-CCA, post-ZZ though so the situation presumably changes after CCA a bit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started playing Gundam Breaker 3 again and that’s still my favorite Gundam game.

Not pictured: my “Dom-inator” spamming the Gouf Gatling shield.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Burns posted:

They should have just left Robin Diez off his leash. Judging from his performance in that episode, they wouldn't have anyone left causing trouble until Zanscare.

But, that's the Federation for you. Counting on some ace to bail them out, then shuffling them away once the crisis is passed. The opposite of Zeon's cult of the ace, and almost as much trouble in the long run.

Speaking of Zanscare, I finally got around to seeing the second/first episode of Victory Gundam, and it's definitely a better intro than the fifth episode the studios called for... to an extent. It's got a monologue and focuses more on how the protagonists got into the conflict, but... it's still not very good.

One thing that stood out was how slapstick the presentation of the violence could be without being slapstick in function. Uso's first flailing mech hijack has the exaggerated motions and ridiculous premise of a lot of Turn A's gags, but it doesn't have a punchline. It's functionally the same as Garrod's moves in the first episode of X, but where Garrod is sold as a pro, Uso's just weirdly lucky.

And that leaks into the rest of the show in a bad way. With his failure in the opening, it's impossible to take Chronicle seriously as an antagonist, but he's not a comedic antagonist either. Unlike many of Loran's foes in Turn A, he lacks a hook for gags beyond general failure. He's not meant to suck. He just does.

Uso's also awkward, with him being a skilled pilot and getting rookie piloting gags, and his tendency to rant about illegal immigrants while being an illegal immigrant. Oh, and his cherished heirloom from his mother is... ham. That's weird. Also weird is how he's the responsible adult of his household, with extreme sport hobbies, while being 13. Gundam's varied by series in the balance between "Here's a semi-realistic depiction of teenagers forced to adapt to a wartime environment" and "Teenagers are omnicapable superheroes", and Uso feels like he falls on the wrong end of that balance.

Also, this is a broader thing, but looking up ages reminded me how awkward Victory Gundam's bit where only the old, women, and children are left to fight, when the timeline places Victory after the longest peace for the Earth in UC history. Old men like Romero would have been in the prime age to get sent to the front in the Neo Zeon wars, while Oliver's generation would have been pretty much untouched. I mean, I get the thematics of the UC devouring everything so young children are the only ones left to fight the latest evil empire, but the timeline doesn't fit well with the themes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They should have just put the zeta Gundam in chars counterattack

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I always found it fascinating that the most of the Titans that did not return to the federation decided to shack up with Neo Zeon. Despite Jamitov’s weird ulterior motive of actually buying into the space stuff, the outward philosophy of the group was always putting Zeon (and spacenoids) down.

You’d think there would be some... inherent opposition between a titan and a zeon soldier, but some just seems to have Yazan’s philosophy of “i just wanna fly giant robots and gently caress poo poo up”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They should have just left Robin Diez off his leash. Judging from his performance in that episode, they wouldn't have anyone left causing trouble until Zanscare.

But, that's the Federation for you. Counting on some ace to bail them out, then shuffling them away once the crisis is passed. The opposite of Zeon's cult of the ace, and almost as much trouble in the long run.

Speaking of Zanscare, I finally got around to seeing the second/first episode of Victory Gundam, and it's definitely a better intro than the fifth episode the studios called for... to an extent. It's got a monologue and focuses more on how the protagonists got into the conflict, but... it's still not very good.

One thing that stood out was how slapstick the presentation of the violence could be without being slapstick in function. Uso's first flailing mech hijack has the exaggerated motions and ridiculous premise of a lot of Turn A's gags, but it doesn't have a punchline. It's functionally the same as Garrod's moves in the first episode of X, but where Garrod is sold as a pro, Uso's just weirdly lucky.

And that leaks into the rest of the show in a bad way. With his failure in the opening, it's impossible to take Chronicle seriously as an antagonist, but he's not a comedic antagonist either. Unlike many of Loran's foes in Turn A, he lacks a hook for gags beyond general failure. He's not meant to suck. He just does.

Uso's also awkward, with him being a skilled pilot and getting rookie piloting gags, and his tendency to rant about illegal immigrants while being an illegal immigrant. Oh, and his cherished heirloom from his mother is... ham. That's weird. Also weird is how he's the responsible adult of his household, with extreme sport hobbies, while being 13. Gundam's varied by series in the balance between "Here's a semi-realistic depiction of teenagers forced to adapt to a wartime environment" and "Teenagers are omnicapable superheroes", and Uso feels like he falls on the wrong end of that balance.

Also, this is a broader thing, but looking up ages reminded me how awkward Victory Gundam's bit where only the old, women, and children are left to fight, when the timeline places Victory after the longest peace for the Earth in UC history. Old men like Romero would have been in the prime age to get sent to the front in the Neo Zeon wars, while Oliver's generation would have been pretty much untouched. I mean, I get the thematics of the UC devouring everything so young children are the only ones left to fight the latest evil empire, but the timeline doesn't fit well with the themes.

I get the impression that it's not a time of peace. The Federation has entirely collapsed into a bunch of feuding warlord states (one of which is still called the Federation) as the economic and ecological damage of the Universal Century has finally made a functioning liberal superstate impossible, letting the Zanscare Empire sweep in to restore order.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

I started playing Gundam Breaker 3 again and that’s still my favorite Gundam game.

While I respect your opinion the best gundam games come from the versus series.

As a side note everyone should pick it up gundam maxi boost on. It's free to play on the weekends until it's released at the end of July and the game is really, really good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

While I respect your opinion the best gundam games come from the versus series.

As a side note everyone should pick it up gundam maxi boost on. It's free to play on the weekends until it's released at the end of July and the game is really, really good.

So, just out of curiosity, what does MBO bring to the table that's new and different from what the first PS4 Gundam Versus game did?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

So, just out of curiosity, what does MBO bring to the table that's new and different from what the first PS4 Gundam Versus game did?

There's 184 suits out of the box, with the suits having signification more difference then versus did, which just stuck to a lot of grunts. Versus only started with 90 suits and inexplicably didn't include a ton of gundam series in versus, such as g gundam, age, destiny and season 2 and the movie versions of the 00 suits.

From what I can tell the netcode's improved and it seems like it will have much more single player content.

Gameplay wise, it just improves a lot of the advanced mechanics. The boost dive has been removed, which makes movement more specific to each character. Assists are unique to each suit. This was awful in versus, since there was like 3 good assists to pick from.

Unfortunately, versus was really a stripped down version of a good franchise.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 29, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Unfortunately, versus was really a stripped down version of a good franchise.

I don’t know why Bandai is so into releasing lovely entries of good Gundam series in North America. We got the Extreme VS Force game for Vita, which was weird and not great scenario play in the Gundam Extreme VS model, we got New Gundam Breaker, which changed the Gundam Breaker formula for the worse, and Gundam Versus which was another oddly soulless VS entry. The only thing that didn’t get stepped on were the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games though even there the music got changed to generic butt rock.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Didn't the Dynasty Warrior Gundam games stop including character interactions and stuff at some point? I vaguely recall hearing something along those lines. I've never played any of them, but would at least be curious to pick one up at some point if they included those kind of interactions between the casts of disparate shows in weird situations. Wasn't that scenario of Zechs, Puru and Domon doing the School of the Undefeated greeting in one of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games for instance?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Didn't the Dynasty Warrior Gundam games stop including character interactions and stuff at some point? I vaguely recall hearing something along those lines. I've never played any of them, but would at least be curious to pick one up at some point if they included those kind of interactions between the casts of disparate shows in weird situations. Wasn't that scenario of Zechs, Puru and Domon doing the School of the Undefeated greeting in one of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games for instance?

The first one had that particular one and the most fun character interaction in general. There was a little bit in all the games as I recall but it was never as much fun as in the first one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxi Boost On is good just for Soma hitting on Lunamaria.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The third one was all crossover all the time, with plenty of fun character interactions. Also, Ribbons had most of the best lines in the game for some reason.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Stairmaster posted:

They should have just put the zeta Gundam in chars counterattack

I mean they kinda did, in the first battle scenes Amuro is piloting a RE-GZ which is a Zeta variant

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I like how Versus introduced the boost dive as a way to make things more accessible to newer players, but it in turn made matches both extremely chaotic (and not necessarily faster) and drag out because all movement just became super safe, suits that relied on styles like you predicting how much boost your opponent has and punishing them on landing just didn’t work because they’d likely be hugging the ground, due to how safe boost dive was you’ll be missing shots against anyone who knows how to move, and suits that used more unique movement options were irrelevant when you can just do stuff with boost dive for a fraction of the cost for significantly less risk.

The striker/assist system was way worse though. Not only like 5 out of 200 were actually useful, they just ended up taking away attacks from other suits

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the striker/assist thing goes completely against the idea of being beginnier friendly because its either a huge burden of knowledge on new players or you just look up the five that are good online and then just use those

also they made some extremely dumb choices like splitting up the kapools

i did like how many random grunt suits were playable tho. hope they add some of them to maxiboost on/evs2

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I get why people want more grunts, but it's kinda hart to make them all interesting with the playstles, when 90% of grunts just consist of, gun shield, sword and no really unique features or weapons.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I recently tried Maxi boost on and i gotta say I really don't like it, ranged attacks feel useless as they are so slow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tythas posted:

I recently tried Maxi boost on and i gotta say I really don't like it, ranged attacks feel useless as they are so slow
You boost cancel out of them, punish landings/gaps in the enemey's movement, etc. Watch high level gameplay. It's a game of positioning and timing, 90% of attacks are gonna miss. You shoot to make them move.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

You boost cancel out of them, punish landings/gaps in the enemey's movement, etc. Watch high level gameplay. It's a game of positioning and timing, 90% of attacks are gonna miss. You shoot to make them move.

oh i meant the projectiles not the animations themselves

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Monaghan posted:

I get why people want more grunts, but it's kinda hart to make them all interesting with the playstles, when 90% of grunts just consist of, gun shield, sword and no really unique features or weapons.

I think most fans wouldn't care if they actually had anything unique about them, they just want them to be present

Midjack posted:

I don’t know why Bandai is so into releasing lovely entries of good Gundam series in North America. We got the Extreme VS Force game for Vita, which was weird and not great scenario play in the Gundam Extreme VS model, we got New Gundam Breaker, which changed the Gundam Breaker formula for the worse, and Gundam Versus which was another oddly soulless VS entry. The only thing that didn’t get stepped on were the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games though even there the music got changed to generic butt rock.

This is an oddly consistent issue with Japanese companies and their potential North American audiences

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tythas posted:

It depends on the projectile but a lot of the time that is the point. You want to use them either to pressure or when you know the enemy is pressured enough that it will hit for sure.

Think of it like an actual Gundam battle where the point is to land that one perfect beam rifle shot even though 90% of them are going to miss.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

This is why we need more grunts from G-Reco and Victory.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets just play lancer but throw in some uc mechs

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Even if you don't just put in Nameless Grunt #69 from a 2 second background shot in a UC OVA, there's still enough grunt or grunt-adjacent suits that get to actually do stuff to populate the roster.

Let me play the nameless heroic Stark Jegan pilot from Unicorn.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Or the insane Zanscare mechs, they had tons of poo poo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Can I just get a character action game set in the Fight Century during the 16th or 20th Gundam Fight, where things have moved on a bit, but the show's cast can still make minor cameos? Or a TIE Fighter style arcade space fighter sim using a handful of units from one of the settings (or even a new setting), where you don't have to overload the roster with dozens of units? Or maybe an RPG following the story of one show, rather than several of them mixed together a la the G Gen/SRW games. I wish that the Gundam AGE game had been better, because on paper it sounded great: an RPG where you customize your unit using a variety of different parts and explore a new story in a new setting etc. Sadly, it was Gundam AGE's story and even the gameplay sounded pretty tepid from the few people I've seen talk about it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Tythas posted:

Beams track at red lock range unless the opponent uses a side step (which may cut tracking, but is slower and doesn’t move you all that much, so it plays into the mind game of positioning). Plus, you still cancel shots with boost to land 3 beam rifle shots for a knock down. Usually you are using your beams to get your opponent to do certain things (like getting them to stop attacking your partner, to knock them down, or even interrupt them and throw them off, or even something as simple as getting a read on how they like to move around and feel them out)

Or you play as the sniping suits that have instantaneous beams and knock down in one hit (Dynames/Cherudim/Zabanya, and Ex-S for some examples)

MechaX fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 29, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MechaX posted:

I always found it fascinating that the most of the Titans that did not return to the federation decided to shack up with Neo Zeon. Despite Jamitov’s weird ulterior motive of actually buying into the space stuff, the outward philosophy of the group was always putting Zeon (and spacenoids) down.

You’d think there would be some... inherent opposition between a titan and a zeon soldier, but some just seems to have Yazan’s philosophy of “i just wanna fly giant robots and gently caress poo poo up”
"gently caress PEACE! I'M GONNA BULLY SOMEONE WITH A GIANT ROBOT" - shockingly flexible ethos really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

Funny thing there?

Yazan rejoined the Federation. He's a major supporting character in "The Return of Johnny Ridden".