Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

El_Elegante posted:

Can you pronounce the game name in an exaggerated Italian accent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M5e3QnjpHs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jimbot posted:

So is Black Mesa completely done and covers all of Half-Life 1?

Yeah it’s amazing. The Xen levels are almost like a separate game. Some feel they drag on way too long at times, especially the Gonarch fight, but don’t let that detract you. It’s amazing what they accomplished.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

EDF 4.1: so I started with a bug problem

and now I have a godzilla problem

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

1. apply Rapier to problem
2. repeat as necessary

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just pull all your sugar outside of the city limits and they'll go away entirely on their won.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay now to other steam recs...

Sweet, thanks very much.

edit: I think I got Hidden Folks in the itch bundle, I should let her try it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shrecknet posted:

played, loved and beat bolded games. I'm a big fan of SOME roguelikes, ones that go hard on being fun to play and beautiful (I'm a slut for polish) - Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Zigguraut are my jam. I marked Qud as "Not Interested" because I just can't get past the utterly abstracted ASCII art style.

Not quite as high on VNs as I am on Walking Simulators. Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and the Artifex Mundi stuff for campy fun are great. Also a fan of "Hold Right for Fun" like Inside and Little Nightmares.

I want to explain, the thing I don't like about FPS's is shooting other human-looking people in the face. It's squicky to me. Being an FPS at all is fine. I'm good with Left 4 Dead and DOOM and such. I loved Dying Light because they actually nailed first-person parkour and I loved running around the city.

The big thing though is I just can't do like 25+ hour story modes. I want to finish a game in a day or two and never think about it again. Or come back and be able to go start-to-finish as a new game every sitting and games take 30m or less (Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, etc)

Action rogulite-wise, Hades and Risk of Rain 2 are awesome and two of the best in the genre to come out recently. They're both technically Early Access, but really near complete already and are both also only one update away from 1.0, I believe. Co-op in Risk of Rain is particularly fun, done it with some discord goons for fun times :3:. And Hades is from Supergiant, there is a lot of gorgeous polish there already.

It's an older game at this point but if you want a more traditional turn-based roguelike but actually need art assets instead of ASCII, Dungeons of Dredmor is plenty good and is pretty accessible.

I haven't played either since they're on my wishlist, so take these next 2 with a grain of salt, but from what you described maybe Islanders (for short, quick drop-in gameplay) and Eastshade (by all accounts a pretty walky sim) could be up your alley? I'm sure other goons who have played them can chime in.

I'm just assuming you've played The Stanely Parable by this point, but if for some reason you haven't I think I have an old humble key for it kicking around.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah it’s amazing. The Xen levels are almost like a separate game. Some feel they drag on way too long at times, especially the Gonarch fight, but don’t let that detract you. It’s amazing what they accomplished.

Did they ever fix the issue with needing to crouch jump for basically every jump?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dungeons of dredmor was probably fine for its time but these days there are much better roguelike options

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

How is the DLC for AC:Origins considered?

I only want "The Hidden Ones", since I am dealthy afraid of mummies (don't laugh I know they ain't real)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hidden Ones is kind of boring, but if you really want more of the same it should work

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Zedd posted:

How is the DLC for AC:Origins considered?

I only want "The Hidden Ones", since I am dealthy afraid of mummies (don't laugh I know they ain't real)

You’re three and a half centuries too late, but if you’d been born around then it would have been culturally acceptable to do exposure therapy by just eating the mummies you’re afraid of.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Awesome! posted:

dungeons of dredmor was probably fine for its time but these days there are much better roguelike options

yeah of course, it was just the first one that popped into my head when I thought of "accessible traditional roguelikes that aren't mostly ASCII".

Now that I think of it, maybe something like Tangledeep or Sproggiwood would fit the bill better now for a more casual roguelike? I dunno, is there a new go-to intro now for first roguelike? I haven't played many in a long while.

But Dredmor is still plenty enjoyable still if you mostly play roguelites but would like to also try out a roguelike without getting too far down the rabbit hole.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

El_Elegante posted:

You’re three and a half centuries too late, but if you’d been born around then it would have been culturally acceptable to do exposure therapy by just eating the mummies you’re afraid of.

They could also take a long look at Liberty Leading the People which was painted using a pigment made from ground up mummies.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

Now that I think of it, maybe something like Tangledeep or Sproggiwood would fit the bill better now for a more casual roguelike? I dunno, is there a new go-to intro now for first roguelike? I haven't played many in a long while.
It's Dead Cells and Slay the Spire, both of which I have hundreds of hours in.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Logan 5 posted:

yeah of course, it was just the first one that popped into my head when I thought of "accessible traditional roguelikes that aren't mostly ASCII".

But Dredmor is still plenty enjoyable still if you mostly play roguelites but would like to also try out a roguelike without getting too far down the rabbit hole.

Dungeonmans is also great as a simple starter-roguelike. Tangledeep, Sproggiwood and Dungeonmans are all made by goons so extra points for that! You can move on to Caves of Qud after that (also goons, same devs as Sproggiwood).

e: Dead Cells and Slay the Spire are -amazing- games, but not really games that will serve as an entry into the roguelike genre imo. They lead more into action games and tactical games. The rogue-like elements are the flavourings in those games, not the main course.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jimbot posted:

So is Black Mesa completely done and covers all of Half-Life 1?

Yes, though they shortened 'On a Rail', if you want that full length it can be added to the full game here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=608116737

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Shrecknet posted:

It's Dead Cells and Slay the Spire, both of which I have hundreds of hours in.

great games to be sure, but are probably more roguelites than roguelikes. The terms get thrown around interchangeably a lot though and there is plenty of grey space in between I'm sure (let the arguments over the proper terms begin)

I was just trying to think of an alternative more traditional roguelike to recommend you other than Caves of Qud, which started the roguelike conversation :can:

I stick by my other two -lite recommendations if you like stuff like Dead Cells, Spelunky, Ziggurat, etc. Hades and Risk of Rain 2 are great.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Linnaean taxonomy, but for games

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just started up the point-and-click adventure game "The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav".

The narrator describes that in preparation for the celebration of an impending peace treaty, the youth of had been tasked with a cheerful challenge. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0WwepHkyw]Cut to a pair of cheerful youths cheerfully bullying the protagonist (Geron the bird-catcher), and cheerfully half-drowning him in a pig trough[url].

The tutorial never breaks the flow of the game, you need to learn the controls yourself. One of the most interesting one is "break things with your mind". It seems that an old sage once proclaimed that Geron would bring great misfortune. Being considered cursed and bad luck is pretty standard for a protagonist, but actually being able to break things at a distance with your mind is neat, although everyone already blames him for it, anyway.

Wizard Styles posted:

There were some questions about Fell Seal re: starting the base game without the DLC installed earlier.

I started a new playthrough when the DLC came out (I played probably a little over half of it when it first came out). DLC content starts early but it's all side stuff. You do get to recruit monsters, though, and those need to be leveled, so I wouldn't wait too long. But you can definitely play up to the first boss before making a decision about whether or not you want the DLC.

Can you define "early", because I'm just at the first boss (I restarted after making it past the first fight after the first boss - and this time I'm properly switching classes), and I don't have any idea how to get the "Beastmaster" class or recruit beasts yet. I'm assuming that I'm still too early.

quote:

Relatedly, loving up the first fight after a boss because you're playing without really thinking is something that just happens, of course. You just beat a boss, what are some zombies gonna do to you?
But doing that when you're playing a game for the second time, then remembering - as you see your second unit go down - that you also hosed this up during your first playthrough really makes you feel special.
It's not even hard, you just get to the ladder and get on the roof asap. But why think about how to approach a map or check enemy levels before you walk in and start swinging, really? :downs:

That fight was pretty fun. Only one person went down for me... I think, but I was organizing a retreat to the roof just as I reached the point where we'd talked fast enough to end the fight. It was a well done fight that definitely gives you the sense that you're just holding out for time.

Protip for Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark:
- You can freely use the skills from both your primary and secondary classes.
- However you ONLY gain AP (points that unlock a class's skills) for your primary class, or as vicarious experience from other characters who have that as their primary class.
- Thus, if you want to learn the skills from a class, use the Class Change feature to make that your primary class.
- You can put any passive or counter skills you've unlocked from ANY of your classes into two passive slots and one counter slot. So you can mix and match, once you have things to put in there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Twobirds posted:

My wife plays the Microsoft Solitaire Collection but mostly just as a way to unwind while listening to podcasts/news, she doesn't care about achievements or difficulty or story or anything like that. Lately there are a lot of annoying ads between games so I figured there must be something good on Steam I can get cheaply. Any suggestions along those lines? She does like Mahjong (the tile-matching 'clear the board' version), but I don't know if there's a good version of it on Steam - just different styles of tiles, cool layouts, stuff like that.

Technically the OS on her PC is tied to my Microsoft account, and GOG Galaxy, which is linked to my accounts, delights in telling me that Solitaire is by far my most played game.

Have a look at Coloring Pixels. I know it sounds stupid but I find it weirdly relaxing. There are a bunch you can do for free and then they sell packs of new levels roughly every month and a half or so, for a dollar.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Just started up the point-and-click adventure game "The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav".

The narrator describes that in preparation for the celebration of an impending peace treaty, the youth of had been tasked with a cheerful challenge. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0WwepHkyw]Cut to a pair of cheerful youths cheerfully bullying the protagonist (Geron the bird-catcher), and cheerfully half-drowning him in a pig trough[url].

The tutorial never breaks the flow of the game, you need to learn the controls yourself. One of the most interesting one is "break things with your mind". It seems that an old sage once proclaimed that Geron would bring great misfortune. Being considered cursed and bad luck is pretty standard for a protagonist, but actually being able to break things at a distance with your mind is neat, although everyone already blames him for it, anyway.

Can you define "early", because I'm just at the first boss (I restarted after making it past the first fight after the first boss - and this time I'm properly switching classes), and I don't have any idea how to get the "Beastmaster" class or recruit beasts yet. I'm assuming that I'm still too early.

That fight was pretty fun. Only one person went down for me... I think, but I was organizing a retreat to the roof just as I reached the point where we'd talked fast enough to end the fight. It was a well done fight that definitely gives you the sense that you're just holding out for time.

- However you ONLY gain AP (points that unlock a class's skills) for your primary class, or as vicarious experience from other characters who have that as their primary class.
- Thus, if you want to learn the skills from a class, use the Class Change feature to make that your primary class.
- You can put any passive or counter skills you've unlocked from ANY of your classes into two passive slots and one counter slot. So you can mix and match, once you have things to put in there.

Are you allowed to name the PC Arbiter Mark?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Alder's Blood: I'm still only 20 minutes into this but it's too weird not to shill on here. It's stealth-focused XCOM with an eldritch western theme and amazing art. Y'all should look at it and its free prologue/demo thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Question for the goons who play Dead by Daylight:

Is there any DLC I should skip? I can get everything for $11 due to regional pricing, but maybe there's a particular DLC that just isn't worth it. I'm mostly interested in playing survivor, but that's mostly because of the killer queue time.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You need to do Guild Missions, they will explicitly say when they unlock something (The "tamer" class is called Wrangler, iirc Samurai is 2nd and lastly Beastmaster, the "pet" class.

Really enjoying the DLC and the way they implemented the monster classes. I'm a bit meh on how they implemented mission timers, but I made it on my game so that they only last 1 minute and always succeed. It's a single player game after all

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

El_Elegante posted:

Are you allowed to name the PC Arbiter Mark?

The main characters have fixed names. The protagonist is called Kyrie. You can name one of the recruits characters that, but since Arbiter is a title, and the recruits are considered fellow Arbiters, "Arbiter Mark" would merely read as "Arbiter, whose name is Mark".

Dackel posted:

You need to do Guild Missions, they will explicitly say when they unlock something (The "tamer" class is called Wrangler, iirc Samurai is 2nd and lastly Beastmaster, the "pet" class.

Really enjoying the DLC and the way they implemented the monster classes. I'm a bit meh on how they implemented mission timers, but I made it on my game so that they only last 1 minute and always succeed. It's a single player game after all

I have been doing missions, but none of them so far have unlocked new classes, possibly because I'm so early in the game. One of them says essentially "better send a monster to catch a monster", and I don't have a monster yet. That's why I'm not sure if I'm too early or not.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Logan 5 posted:

I haven't played either since they're on my wishlist, so take these next 2 with a grain of salt, but from what you described maybe Islanders (for short, quick drop-in gameplay)
Islanders is very highly polished and the most soothing game I've ever played. Surprisingly complex once you figure out what's going on. And it's only $2. Highly recommend. It doesn't really fit into a genre, but if anything, I'd say it's a rogue-like city builder.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's Mount & Blade 2? I played the heck out of Warband and only really stopped because late-game stuff became bananas overwhelming and things took a bit too long. Is Bannerlord different enough to warrant a purchase?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One game that gets overlooked is Druidstone: The Secret of Menhir Forest which is a puzzle/RPG/Xcom style game that's charming and a lot of fun. It's 75% right now and worth a look if you like those kinds of games. It's definitely more on the Into The Breach style turn-base strategy/RPG game but I think a lot of Xcom lovers would like it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

One game that gets overlooked is Druidstone: The Secret of Menhir Forest which is a puzzle/RPG/Xcom style game that's charming and a lot of fun. It's 75% right now and worth a look if you like those kinds of games. It's definitely more on the Into The Breach style turn-base strategy/RPG game but I think a lot of Xcom lovers would like it.

Gonna slide that up the wishlist, thanks! Adjacently, did you know that the steam wishlist UI sucks? I can't search for a game and then re-rank it. I HAVE to manually search through 500+ games to find the one I want to be near the top (or remove or)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Jimbot posted:

How's Mount & Blade 2? I played the heck out of Warband and only really stopped because late-game stuff became bananas overwhelming and things took a bit too long. Is Bannerlord different enough to warrant a purchase?

It's early access and don't expect it to be finished any sooner than Warband was (AKA never, but pretty close in about 10 years), but that said it's light years ahead of Warband. Absolutely worth buying if you like the basic formula.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got in the mood to replay Undertale but I reinstalled and looked at my completed pacifist save and couldn't reset it

I am a goddamn sap

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gonna slide that up the wishlist, thanks! Adjacently, did you know that the steam wishlist UI sucks? I can't search for a game and then re-rank it. I HAVE to manually search through 500+ games to find the one I want to be near the top (or remove or)

Yeah it's pretty bad and I just keep mine under 10 games because gently caress dealing with it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Dreylad posted:

Nice. I went to add this to my wishlist, and it was already there! It's a sign to buy it.

I probably should stop now, since the only game I've bought this sale and actually gotten around to playing is Shadowhand, but that looks like it checks a number of boxes for me.

Earlier in the thread there was discussion of an RPG/Minesweeper rogue-like -- anyone recall what game that was, and if it was worth checking that?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

*Buys a bunch of AAA games on Steam sale, plays a bunch of $1 indie games about stained glass jigsaw puzzles all day*

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Awesome! posted:

I have mixed feelings about Dredmor it's interesting, cute and has decent humor but the gameplay is very slow and unbalanced and even at the time there were free roguelikes that were very good and playable(although most had no or rudimentary graphical tilesets).

As it is now it would be very hard for me to recommend Dungeons of Dredmor to someone when there is such a banquet of options available both free and paid.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 29, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A friend asked me how to get into the Final Fantasy franchise and since most of my recs are on sale here you go:

So in brief, here are the three best FFs to check out if you're ever curious:

- FF6, one of the best SNES games ever made. Get a SNES or GBA emulator and play the ROMs, you'll be happier. It's a huge ensemble game following the resistance as they strike back against the empire, with a focus on one girl who has magic powers. The final boss music is easily one of the best music tracks ever made for a game.

- FFX (10, you'll find that fans like to use roman numerals for 7 and above) was the first game in the franchise to have voice acting. PS2. The steam port is amazing. It's a linear adventure following a teenager out of time - he's a jock who watches his world get destroyed, and wakes up in an island. He quickly winds up helping a priestess and her escort make a pilgrimage to the north of the world. The writing swings between awkward and incredibly good, and it has one of the most fun battle systems in the series.

- FFXII (12) is my personal favorite. Another PS2 offering with a great steam port. It has a fascinatingly complex plot - it's not resistance vs empire, it's... the empire already won, and you follow another ensemble cast as they unravel what to do now, and there might be a conspiracy, and more interesting fantasy stuff. Has a neat battle system where you can eventually "program" your characters to fight entirely without your input.

And finally, ffxiv aka FF14 is the mmo. It has some of the best writing in the entire franchise, but to get there you have to play a ton of it. And while it's a mostly single-player experience, the dungeons do require multiplayer. Thankfully the group finding system is robust. If you get into this one, godspeed.

There are other FFs. Most of them are interesting somehow, either because they were landmarks in the genre (7) or because they crashed and burned in fascinating ways (13).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HopperUK posted:

Have a look at Coloring Pixels. I know it sounds stupid but I find it weirdly relaxing. There are a bunch you can do for free and then they sell packs of new levels roughly every month and a half or so, for a dollar.

The 500 hours I've put into this are a large part of the reason why my backlog is expanding the way it has.

StrixNebulosa posted:

A friend asked me how to get into the Final Fantasy franchise and since most of my recs are on sale here you go:

So in brief, here are the three best FFs to check out if you're ever curious:

- FF6, one of the best SNES games ever made. Get a SNES or GBA emulator and play the ROMs, you'll be happier. It's a huge ensemble game following the resistance as they strike back against the empire, with a focus on one girl who has magic powers. The final boss music is easily one of the best music tracks ever made for a game.

- FFX (10, you'll find that fans like to use roman numerals for 7 and above) was the first game in the franchise to have voice acting. PS2. The steam port is amazing. It's a linear adventure following a teenager out of time - he's a jock who watches his world get destroyed, and wakes up in an island. He quickly winds up helping a priestess and her escort make a pilgrimage to the north of the world. The writing swings between awkward and incredibly good, and it has one of the most fun battle systems in the series.

- FFXII (12) is my personal favorite. Another PS2 offering with a great steam port. It has a fascinatingly complex plot - it's not resistance vs empire, it's... the empire already won, and you follow another ensemble cast as they unravel what to do now, and there might be a conspiracy, and more interesting fantasy stuff. Has a neat battle system where you can eventually "program" your characters to fight entirely without your input.

And finally, ffxiv aka FF14 is the mmo. It has some of the best writing in the entire franchise, but to get there you have to play a ton of it. And while it's a mostly single-player experience, the dungeons do require multiplayer. Thankfully the group finding system is robust. If you get into this one, godspeed.

There are other FFs. Most of them are interesting somehow, either because they were landmarks in the genre (7) or because they crashed and burned in fascinating ways (13).

Final Fantasy V is the best entry point and now is the best time to start.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Outer Wilds seems really good but I had to return it because I apparently have a phobia of being in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Pwnstar posted:

Outer Wilds seems really good but I had to return it because I apparently have a phobia of being in space?

Friend you are always in space.