Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Quite literally, as in fascism is literally one of the forms of government available

In Civ 5 they disguised it has "authoritarian" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I appreciate is that the future era upgrade to Fascism is called Corporate Libertarianism. Whatever else you think of Civ VI, there's no punches pulled there.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Beamed posted:

All of the Civ4 scenarios were incredible, and some of them showcased some even more incredible mods.

Yeah. In particular, the Age of Ice scenario based on Fall from Heaven was incredibly cool.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dumb questions
- What do I do to avoid random hostile units appearing in my borders? I have no idea what causes it.
- How do in increase amenity's? Do I need more than +1 per city?
- How do I built archaeologists?
- How do I take over other cities without combat?
- How do I launch nukes without a bomber in range? How can I get a bomber in range if it starts at a aerodrome near a city?
- How do I tell other rulers to stop bothering me, no, I will not sell you anything for 1 gold a turn!
- How do I automate "yes, the Future Tech for the 100th time"?
- How do I rename a city?
- Where should I build the government building, my capital?
- How do I use Governors? They seem needlessly fiddly and keep needing to move around every turn.
- How can I send resources to a city from other cities to speed up construction of something?
- Should I be building things on every hex all the time, or should I leave some blank?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Comstar posted:

- What do I do to avoid random hostile units appearing in my borders? I have no idea what causes it.

Partisans. Is one of the spy missions available. Put spies on your neightbourhood districts to try to prevent it

Comstar posted:

- How do in increase amenity's? Do I need more than +1 per city?

Luxury resourses and entertaiment centrers and waterparks. More is better

Comstar posted:

Needs to build a archeological museum first

Comstar posted:

- How do I take over other cities without combat?

Influence. Having big cities of yours next to a small foreign city might cause its loyalty to start dropping. Eventually it might become independent and then yours. Spy missions and some governors may help too

Comstar posted:

- How do I tell other rulers to stop bothering me, no, I will not sell you anything for 1 gold a turn!
- How do I automate "yes, the Future Tech for the 100th time"?

No way of doing those

Comstar posted:

- How do I rename a city?

Click on the name iirc

Comstar posted:

- Where should I build the government building, my capital?

Anywhere you want, I guess. I usually put it at the capital

Comstar posted:

- How do I use Governors? They seem needlessly fiddly and keep needing to move around every turn.

What? What do you mean?

Comstar posted:

- How can I send resources to a city from other cities to speed up construction of something?

Nope, but a trade route helps some

Comstar posted:

- Should I be building things on every hex all the time, or should I leave some blank?

It depends, really. You dont have to build every disctrict type on every city, if thats what you are asking. In fact, build only the ones you really need. Tiles are valuable (edit: but always improve the tiles you dont build districts on)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 29, 2020

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Is there a way to see how long a promise you made has to run before you are no longer held by it? or alternatively how old a city you have is? really want to settle a space 8 away from France and wondering how long i'd have to wait to do so compared to just going elsewhere for now

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

showbiz_liz posted:

I've been thinking about a potential civ that could function as a kind of barbarian king.

-You can only settle your first city, but it's mobile. The city center looks like a tent settlement, and if you want to move, it turns into a caravan. While mobile the caravan could take a hit to yields. When settled, the city would be immune to loyalty pressure. You can put your districts (also groups of tents) wherever you want each time you settle. (Wonders obviously wouldn't be compatible with this.)
-You can't become a friend or ally of any other civ.
-Any barbarian units you encounter automatically join you.
-Your units, or possibly just a unique unit, can have an ability that gives a small chance to recruit another civ's units to your side.
-You can't take over other civs' cities, only raze them, but doing so gives huge rewards to balance out your low yields from having only one city. Also extra yields from raiding and pillaging.
-Potentially you get extra city-state envoys, reflecting your underdog status. And maybe your suzerained city-states send you regular tribute.

I don't know what historical civ/leader this could be, though.
They've never had Timur as a leader/civ outside of scenarios, IIRC. He's probably the best second choice as Genghis is already taken.

I mean "best" in the context of genocidal steppe warlords, of course.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Elias_Maluco posted:

Partisans. Is one of the spy missions available. Put spies on your neightbourhood districts to try to prevent it

Alternatively: Don't build neighbourhoods. They're more trouble than they're worth.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

For Future Tech can’t you just queue it 10x

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Comstar posted:

Elias covered the others, but on archaeologists, if you've built the museum, you need to research Natural History. Yes it's dumb the game doesn't do much at all to warn you the building is practically useless when you unlock it, until you finally get a staff member for it three or more techs later.

On Governors, you generally don't move them more than a handful of times per game. All of them take 5 turns to even arrive in the city and begin providing benefits (except the military guy who arrives in 3). You move them when you want their benefits to be given to a different city. In some games you might be moving the governors every twenty turns or so, but in the majority of games I find that's not necessary. As a rule of thumb, I put Magnus in my second city (which I usually look to settle to be as production focused as possible) and have it pump out settlers until I've filled in the land, then focus on production to make use of his regional building bonus. Pingala goes in the biggest city (usually the capital) since many of his bonuses are based on population. Depending on the capital, I might flip the two around. Liang goes in a city on coast or floodplains to impove water tiles and prevent flooding. In some games those three never move from their starting cities, since the opportunity cost of moving them doesn't outweigh the benefits they'd bring to the new city.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 29, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I dont usually move governors around much because of the 5 turns it takes to establish

Liang is the one I move more, as Aquaculture is really helpful for all coastal cities and its improvmentes stay with the city even without her as governor

edit:

Bland posted:

Alternatively: Don't build neighbourhoods. They're more trouble than they're worth.

I disagree with that. Most of my cities cant even reach 20 pops without a neighbourhood

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 29, 2020

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Liang is usually my first two promotions for the District building bonus.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Comstar posted:

Dumb questions

Someone mentioned partisans, but these can also be regular barbarians. Barb camps spawn randomly on the map (anywhere in the fog of war) and make scouts. If a scout finds your city and gets back to their camp, they spawn other units to attack the city. Kill the scout or the camp to stop it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Someone mentioned partisans, but these can also be regular barbarians. Barb camps spawn randomly on the map (anywhere in the fog of war) and make scouts. If a scout finds your city and gets back to their camp, they spawn other units to attack the city. Kill the scout or the camp to stop it.

Ive read "within my borders" actually, thats why I though it had to be partisans

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

Play multiplayer mode, with the opponents as AI.

Hell, everyone should do this every game. All the dealing and diplomacy are still there whenever you decide to check on it. And you can change the difficulty level of individual Civs whenever you want, in case you are snowballing to an easy victory and want to spice it up.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit:

I disagree with that. Most of my cities cant even reach 20 pops without a neighbourhood

That's the thing, you really don't need 20 pop cities

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bland posted:

Lies and slander

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bland posted:

But I do want them

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well it begins again. I bought the Civ VI expansion packs on sale a week or so ago and after a four year hiatus I started playing again. Started on 3 because I don't know how any of the new systems work, it's been 4 years, and I only had a half-dozen games or so in before that. First game; China. Getting used to things but I'm able to win by Diplomatic victory around turn 410 or so.
Decide to go with Sweden to remind myself how Culture wins work. Apparently if you have another strong cultural civ on the map they don't. Gorgo has been keeping pace with me all game even at difficulty level 3 to the point where I can't get a tourism victory from her within the alloted timeframe despite squeezing every ounce of tourism out of my civ I can manage. (My base at this point is 1352 with 9 cities, one of which is desert outpost that exists just to get me aluminum and be a desert city for Open Air Garden purposes). Then two countries declare war or her. I decide to follow suit.

Buuuuut even when I first played the game games never got to the future. I hadn't intended for this game to get to the future. So I have little air support, no naval support, two maxxed Encampments on our shared borders and I've been trying to manage the CO2 level so I haven't been using units that use oil. This means I can't do much of anything against her even if she doesn't actually have an army. For almost the entire game her army has been surprisingly weak, apparently because she keeps throwing all her military units at an entrenched city state that just blows them away. But somehow now she has 3 Giant Death Robots.

10 hours later this run is kind of a bust. I might be able to pull out a democratic win but I just got hit with the -2 points putting me at 13 or 14. 14 is fine. Statue of Liberty (which I am currently building) + Winning an aid contest and I win. But if I'm at 13 (and I think I am) then I hit 19 and the world congress hits again and will probably hit me with another -2. Even though I have a huge stockpile built up and am hitting Future Civic every 5 turns I don't know if I can outvote everybody else. But if I can't everything sucks.

TL:DR Blew my load trying to get an impossible culture win and now I'm scrambling.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

I mean these games have always allowed you to literally be fascists and steal civilians as slaves so let's all let go of our pearls.
At least in Civ IV choosing Slavery as a governmental mechanic meant you could have uprisings in your cities that would negate all production on that or multiple turns.

That is one thing I don't care for about Civ VI: policy choices that, no matter what they might be, can have downsides. Yes I know about the Dark Age cards but I'm thinking about standard gameplay aside from that.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 30, 2020

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Played my first game with the world congress and I did something I don't understand.

I declared grievances with Tamar in the classic age and waited a few turns. Declared war..and took 1 small undefended city. Next turn, WORLD CONGRESS declares me public enemy number 1 and every civ on the planet declares a crusade and invades.

How do I avoid causing that?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 30, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Comstar posted:

Played my first game with the world congress and I did something I don't understand.

I declared grievances with Tamar in the classic age and waited a few turns. Declared war..and took 1 small undefended city. Next turn, WORLD CONGRESS declares me public enemy number 1 and every civ on the planet declares a crusade and invades.

How do I avoid causing that?

It helps to be better friends with everybody than the person you're attacking.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Chamale posted:

I had a full-on nuclear war in Civ IV once, and it was the most memorable game I'd ever played. We were all set back so thoroughly that it took a hundred years before I managed to win a space victory.

Just finished my game of Civ VI as Korea with 30 civs on a huge map, and it was great. Scythia conquered a ton of land and threatened to win with Diplomacy or Science, so I nuked them a few times. Just barely won a Science Victory a few turns before Tomyris would have.

I've always wanted a civ game where you start out with WW3 and everyone gets bombed to the stone age. You'd have limited turns to squirrel population and resources away before civilization had to start all over.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heffer posted:

I've always wanted a civ game where you start out with WW3 and everyone gets bombed to the stone age. You'd have limited turns to squirrel population and resources away before civilization had to start all over.

This would be a cool conceit. It would also make a fun throwback when you built back up to the atomic age so you could nuke your long-term enemy (or make peace with them, which ever).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Heffer posted:

That would be dope. It could even have things like the Forest of Thorns scattered around as "wonders" that provide +1 culture or whatever, and if you dig them up it kills someone in your nearest city. If you leave them undisturbed until you discover archaeology, you could translate the message left there. This place is not a place of honour... Nothing valued is here... This message is a warning about danger. The danger is only unleashed if you substantially disturb this place physically.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ChrisBTY posted:

Well it begins again. I bought the Civ VI expansion packs on sale a week or so ago and after a four year hiatus I started playing again. Started on 3 because I don't know how any of the new systems work, it's been 4 years, and I only had a half-dozen games or so in before that. First game; China. Getting used to things but I'm able to win by Diplomatic victory around turn 410 or so.
Decide to go with Sweden to remind myself how Culture wins work. Apparently if you have another strong cultural civ on the map they don't.

<snip>

TL:DR Blew my load trying to get an impossible culture win and now I'm scrambling.

The simple, no nonsense answer is that you hosed up your Culture completely. I can't say how because you gave no details, but I just did Sweden/Culture on 4 and it was over well before even I could build GDRs, let alone the AI.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I assume you're running all the tourism boosting policy cards, and governors. And have open borders with everyone. Then you mostly should target your highest culture opponents with rock bands, as that should give a much more efficient tourism boost than passive tourism at that point. Also steal or buy great works.

But yes it's probably decisions made much earlier that prevented you from snowballing past the AI early enough.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 30, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Crazy Ted posted:

At least in Civ IV choosing Slavery as a governmental mechanic meant you could have uprisings in your cities that would negate all production on that or multiple turns.

That is one thing I don't care for about Civ VI: policy choices that, no matter what they might be, can have downsides. Yes I know about the Dark Age cards but I'm thinking about standard gameplay aside from that.

While I do like the policy cards system, culture in Civ 6 imo is a step back from Civ 5

In Civ 5 culture/ideology was about decisions and consequences. Since you could never research all trees, you had to choose, and that choice added personality to the civs and variety to the games. Same with ideology, but it also divided the world into blocks, which was cool and added a lot to late game diplomacy. Of course it was terribly unbalanced, but it was a good system

In Civ 6 culture is just another tech tree, you can and you will research it all, and then switch governments and policies based on the bonus you want to equip. Is boring

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Heffer posted:

one of the early game (2 or 3 I think) had a kooky post-apocalyptic scenario where you played as a successor/remnant state after a nuclear war. the Russians were led by Vladimir Zhirinovsky, and exploring the world revealed barbarian city states such as Troisieme Orleans and Diablos Aires, it was pretty lol.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jedit posted:

The simple, no nonsense answer is that you hosed up your Culture completely. I can't say how because you gave no details, but I just did Sweden/Culture on 4 and it was over well before even I could build GDRs, let alone the AI.

I'm sure mistakes were made. This was only my second game back and I started this game to reacquaint myself with the culture victory mechanics. Also the game explains itself poorly. It just says I need more foreign tourists; so can I make up for Gorgo say, banning music by getting foreign tourists from other Civs I've already dominated or does the game actually work like Civ V where I have to overcome her lifetime culture gain? Also Gorgo just produces a shitload of culture. And yes I have all the tourism cards up and was using rock bands until Gorgo banned music.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm sure mistakes were made. This was only my second game back and I started this game to reacquaint myself with the culture victory mechanics. Also the game explains itself poorly. It just says I need more foreign tourists; so can I make up for Gorgo say, banning music by getting foreign tourists from other Civs I've already dominated or does the game actually work like Civ V where I have to overcome her lifetime culture gain? Also Gorgo just produces a shitload of culture. And yes I have all the tourism cards up and was using rock bands until Gorgo banned music.

Here's an explanation of how tourism works in Civ 6 which was really helpful to me in actually understanding what the gently caress is going on when you do a tourism game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qMoxnhvWD8&t=57s

I guess the question on Gorgo's culture is, how was Gorgo producing that shitload of culture? There's essentially three ways you can produce culture in this game, population, great works, and wonders. As a civ trying for a culture victory, you need to stop the AI snowballing on these by getting the great people and building the wonders. You might not catch them all, but it is possible to capture a significant portion of them, and as they're a finite resource, every one you get is one Gorgo doesn't. If Gorgo does get great works, you can look to steal them.

The other important thing to consider if you're coming from Civ V is that culture is not the "tall" strategy any more. That's not to say you can't win it as tall, but in Civ 6 every strategy is better if you're wide, and that's just as true of culture as any other. More cities means more theatre squares, more slots for great works, more pops, more coastline for seaside resorts, more virgin land for national parks. If you built four cities and gorgo had twelve, or twenty, yeah, she's going to outproduce you on culture and make winning hard.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was able to beat Gorgo to most of the culture wonders but I think she has me beat on # of cities and pop, likely because I'm pickier on where to put my cities than the AI is. I spread as quickly as I could but I started in the dead center of the mainland. I got quickly boxed out of the coasts and didn't fully grasp how ski resorts worked (as I have a ton of mountains) until it was too late. I had to resort to building two cities in the resource starved tundra. It took me awhile to get my national parks because I didn't have any natural wonders in my borders until later in the game and forming a diamond in my borders was extremely difficult.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

yes i believe so, but it's of greatly reduced effectiveness, because it won't directly target gorgo's domestic tourism. there is a promotion which means the rock band performance also targets other nearby civs within 10 tiles at 50% effectiveness. this can be used to vicariously apply rock bands pressure to civs that are running the censorship policy. there is a policy card that allows you to select any promo on your rock bands rather then relying on rng. there is also a dark age policy that does something to make rock bands better somehow but lol at getting a dark age that late.

you can remove improvements like mines that reduce appeal and replace with forest to increase appeal to make placing parks easier. certain districts and improvements also increase appeal to neighbouring tiles (eg theatre square, holy site, sphinx) so planning those can increase your resort and park potential.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
New Work Ethic (Production from Holy Site adjacency) is absurd. Start a game as Russia, get Astrology quickly and build a +6/7 Lavra with Dance of the Aurora, grab work ethic and rush theology for double adjacency. Proceed to win game with absurd production in cities near tundra. Works with Brazil and Mali too, but not quite as well. Fun stuff for one or two games. Unfortunately it's bugged so that the production disappears after the lavra is pillaged by a blizzard.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 30, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I went back to the game and I wound up winning via Diplomatic victory on turn 436 (I didn't know that one of the late game researches gave you a diplomatic victory point). And I have no idea how close I was on culture. One turn it said 24 turns, the next it said 107, the turn after that it wouldn't say at all. Time for a new game. Not a culture victory one though, I don't want to fuss about with a ton of theming and I never play the same Civ twice.

This was the map btw. Me in powder blue, Gorgo to the north in Maroon. We wound up tied in number of cities and practically tied in pop# (123 for Gorgo, 121 for me at last check). But I think I had to play catchup with some of my cities coming along much later in the game.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

This was the map btw. Me in powder blue, Gorgo to the north in Maroon. We wound up tied in number of cities and practically tied in pop# (123 for Gorgo, 121 for me at last check). But I think I had to play catchup with some of my cities coming along much later in the game.

It might have been worth your time to try to conquer those nearby city-states, once you realized you were out of room to expand.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vilnius is the city state to the east. Gorgo was suzerain and levied its military (which was obnoxiously advanced) to wage war on me in the early game. Set me back a bit because I got completely screwed on strategic resources; no horses or iron. I was in no hurry to fight another potential war on two fronts. Buenos Aires (to the east) was mine and I didn't relish the idea of losing their bonuses. Also I still have 'don't attack city states' ingrained in me from Civ V. My biggest mistake was not taking England's southwestern-most city when it went independent and fell to me. I thought it was poorly placed and England would just use its ability to pressure it away from me again anyway.

Thank you for your advice everybody. I'm still (re)learning the game and it helps to get council from people more familiar with it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chamale posted:

That would be dope. It could even have things like the Forest of Thorns scattered around as "wonders" that provide +1 culture or whatever, and if you dig them up it kills someone in your nearest city. If you leave them undisturbed until you discover archaeology, you could translate the message left there. This place is not a place of honour... Nothing valued is here... This message is a warning about danger. The danger is only unleashed if you substantially disturb this place physically.

The concept of the Forest of Thorns annoys me. If what was buried there was so dangerous that a future primitive civilization needed to be warned about it, then it's actually a super valuable and powerful energy source which makes the warning a straight up lie. If it's not that powerful, then there is no need to build the forest of thorns at all and the "powerful civilization" that built it could have used their power to recycle the material or in some other way make it inert and no longer dangerous. So really it's just something for people who refuse to understand what radiation is, or how it works to propagate their ignorance.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like the downsides outweigh the possibility of a primitive civilization figuring out how to generate energy with nuclear waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I completed my 1st game of Civ 6...by losing to Canada via Diplomacy. How do I stop that next time? I don't understand how I'm supposed to get other countries to vote for me or my wants.

How do I create national preserves?

I was trying to take a religion city but Egypt kept CAST LIGHTING and destroyed my missionaries. How did they do that?

Beyond using religious units, and invading with military units to take the city, how can I slow down or damage their religious defences?