Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Imagine what will happen when a fast tracked vaccine with barely any real length of data is being 'encouraged'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

Imagine what will happen when a fast tracked vaccine with barely any real length of data is being 'encouraged'.

yeah this poo poo makes me nervous to get a vaccine when it comes out. i'm afraid the cure will literally be worse than the disease and might stay home a few more weeks first to see how it shakes out

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Dont worry, when a vaccine does get approved, it will likely take time for it become available to the general public. It probably start with doctors and healthcare workers (so, good times if fucks people up), then essential workers, and then everyone else. Throw rich people in there around the same time as essential workers

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Stores in Sacramento are starting to Get It and posting signs requiring masks to come in, and compliance has got to be in the 95% range from what I've seen. I felt relatively safe at Raley's and Target this week for the first time in months.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If we don’t get UHC out of this crisis literally nothing will give us UHC.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

yeah this poo poo makes me nervous to get a vaccine when it comes out. i'm afraid the cure will literally be worse than the disease and might stay home a few more weeks first to see how it shakes out

Now take your feelings on this and transplant them into a person that already has reservations about vaccines, doesnt like 'toxins', or maybe is outright anti vax, or doesn't like being told to wear a mask.

Even when a vaccine is widely available and encouraged, we are going to see signs atop roads equating it with the industrialized murder that took place in 1940s Europe.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ratbert90 posted:

literally nothing will give us UHC.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

If we don’t get UHC out of this crisis literally nothing will give us UHC.

HD DAD posted:

It was never about the cost

It was always about making sure we stayed in our place

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yuba City is certainly not the Central Valley. That's the southernmost reaches of Jefferson. My mom and sister report that mask use in the Fresno area is fairly reasonable, but I haven't been down there to see.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Tayter Swift posted:

Stores in Sacramento are starting to Get It and posting signs requiring masks to come in, and compliance has got to be in the 95% range from what I've seen. I felt relatively safe at Raley's and Target this week for the first time in months.
I thought this was already a thing? I see signs posted outside of the supermarkets in Fresno I've been to, but whether the stores enforce it heavily or not is another thing (a handful of stores have received fines afaik), and you also have people who wear the mask when they come in and then drop it down once they're inside. Friday night comes around though and you have a lot of people congregating without masks.

Kenning posted:

My mom and sister report that mask use in the Fresno area is fairly reasonable, but I haven't been down there to see.
Costco, Save Mart, Walmart, Target; places I go into town to get supplies have generally been okay.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 29, 2020

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yuba City is certainly not the Central Valley. That's the southernmost reaches of Jefferson. My mom and sister report that mask use in the Fresno area is fairly reasonable, but I haven't been down there to see.

Yuba City has more in common with all the San Joaquin Valley towns than anyplace to its north imo. I barely even consider it part of the North Valley.

Central Valley right wingers really seem to have stepped up their obnoxious billboard/sign game lately. We just had another giant one go up along Hwy 99 that said “WELCOME TO SAN FRAN-CHICO. CITY OF FREE NEEDLES” and that’s like the third one this year.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tweets like this are not gonna age well when the next focus of ending systemic racism after police is the rampant white supremacy inherent in education.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hawkperson posted:

Tweets like this are not gonna age well when the next focus of ending systemic racism after police is the rampant white supremacy inherent in education.

gently caress, thanks for the nightmare vision of charter school assholes twisting racial justice to #defundstatepropaganda or some equally awful poo poo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hawkperson posted:

well it's gonna be hard to defund teachers any more than they already are

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and also teachers don't get to create the curriculum, lol, it's dictated to them

BeAuMaN posted:

I thought this was already a thing?

Yeah I think Newsom made it a statewide rule two weeks ago.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family get through this.

Is the 14 year olds school work being done through some special software or mainly through google docs?

It's been rough, but we'll get through it. Thanks man.

They have like 45 different portals, one for each different class. It's pretty infuriating actually. But for the most part, the 14yos assignments are indeed in Google Classroom/Docs.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

and also teachers don't get to create the curriculum, lol, it's dictated to them

Yeah I think Newsom made it a statewide rule two weeks ago.

It is, but Sac Sheriff put out a statement the same day saying they weren't going to bother enforcing it.

The Raley's I frequent definitely did not have a sign out requiring masks before, and I think only half the customers would wear one. Yesterday I think I saw 4 people without a mask the whole trip.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Hawkperson posted:

if we get to that kind of reckoning any time soon I imagine it'll be worth the cancelation just to have lived to see it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

well it's gonna be hard to defund teachers any more than they already are

Double-dipping into forced pay deductions from their already meager salaries to offset the summer months as unpaid time off. :haw:

Teachers required to provide their own school buildings? :shrug:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Maybe we can get teachers to supply their own salary.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tayter Swift posted:

It is, but Sac Sheriff put out a statement the same day saying they weren't going to bother enforcing it.

The Raley's I frequent definitely did not have a sign out requiring masks before, and I think only half the customers would wear one. Yesterday I think I saw 4 people without a mask the whole trip.

only food place that's been strictly enforcing it around Sac seems to be whole foods lol

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

When I went the other day my local Bel Air had almost universal mask coverage in the store, and it was generally pretty good even before the official order went out. It's not an overwhelmingly white neighborhood though, so probably less "my freedumbs" types.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only food place that's been strictly enforcing it around Sac seems to be whole foods lol

Safeway doesn't enforce it, employees aren't allowed to ask customers to wear a mask.

Smaller places are very hit or miss. Either on the nothing/chinstraps and not caring about customers plan, or masked up and wanting customers to wear them also.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

There's always Oto's :)

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
A shoutout to KP International in Rancho Cordova, who in addition to having my beloved S&B extra hot curry bricks also has a door man who won't let you in unless you are masked.

I and some of my friends have started to prefer the Korean grocers, mainly for the clientele.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Korean grocery in Daly City had great compliance and excellent inventory from day 1 of lockdown, can confirm.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I shop at an Asian supermarket as well. It is superior to Vons/Safeway in literally every single way, though I don't think their workers are union however I heard Von's union is dogshit anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving love Asian grocery stores, California staple

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The quality of the pork at Kukje Market is loving unreal compared to the stuff they sell at Safeway. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Lots of places in Roseville have a masks required sign. Costco, Walmart, Chando’s tacos, etc.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kenning posted:

The quality of the pork at Kukje Market is loving unreal compared to the stuff they sell at Safeway. Absolutely gorgeous stuff.

Sunset Market in San Francisco. Best produce in the city, hands down, cabbages like fine sculpture. Their butcher has a case that looks like a spare parts kit for a pig. Fresh fish, fresh squid, and three long cases of frozen seafood ranging from hamachi and perfectly red tuna frozen for a week to kill worms, to dirt cheap swai and squid tubes. Plus awesome snacks, sauces, spices, canned goods, and other goodies you'll never see at Safeway.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1277818851342901249

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Sunset Market in San Francisco. Best produce in the city, hands down, cabbages like fine sculpture. Their butcher has a case that looks like a spare parts kit for a pig. Fresh fish, fresh squid, and three long cases of frozen seafood ranging from hamachi and perfectly red tuna frozen for a week to kill worms, to dirt cheap swai and squid tubes. Plus awesome snacks, sauces, spices, canned goods, and other goodies you'll never see at Safeway.

i've kept meaning to check them out but now i'm definitely gonna have to, cheers!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Maybe we can get teachers to supply their own salary.

just cut teachers out of the equation entirely and turn schools into the for-profit sports pro pipeline they desperately want to be

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just make it all onli-- oh poo poo we really tried that and it sucks balls.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oneiros posted:

i've kept meaning to check them out but now i'm definitely gonna have to, cheers!

Get some pork shank. Spend 20 minutes removing the skin. Roast the shank for 5 hours at 275. Add chopped onion and garlic at one hour, beans at two and a half. Baste regularly. Spice to taste, but cumin and paprika are the way to go. The shank is done when you pick it up by the bone, and the bone comes away clean.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Albertsons in Diamond bar off of Grand Avenue has a strict mask policy, and I love how much more comfortable I am shopping there.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wicked Them Beats posted:

When I went the other day my local Bel Air had almost universal mask coverage in the store, and it was generally pretty good even before the official order went out. It's not an overwhelmingly white neighborhood though, so probably less "my freedumbs" types.

Yeah interesting how that goes. In my area after phased reopening began and before the mask order, mask usage rates fell off a cliff - except at the Asian grocery and a black-owned soul food restaurant, both of which took things very seriously. The latter never attempted to reopen dine-in even as other restaurants did.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ratbert90 posted:

The Albertsons in Diamond bar off of Grand Avenue has a strict mask policy, and I love how much more comfortable I am shopping there.

The Albertsons near me in Irvine does as well, and I've never seen anyone complain about it. That being said, I don't exactly go there often during the pandemic and I don't stay long, so it's possible that people have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't been inside a business that allowed you to walk around maskless for close to 2.5 months now. A lot of grocery stores are also still making you line up outside to limit the in-store capacity during peak hours.