Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I heard the mechanics with water and monster aggro were changed so the old farms don't work anymore. How do you go about farming for the diving helmet now?

Also, any tips for farming the nymph? I'm currently setting up a cavern farm for mimics after I go into HM but I can't really remember how you farmed for the stupid nymph drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Tin Tim posted:

I heard the mechanics with water and monster aggro were changed so the old farms don't work anymore. How do you go about farming for the diving helmet now?

Also, any tips for farming the nymph? I'm currently setting up a cavern farm for mimics after I go into HM but I can't really remember how you farmed for the stupid nymph drop

In both cases, I just kind of went and did it. I wandered around in the ocean until sharks spawned and got the helmet by happenstance after my third or fourth kill (had forgotten that sharks dropped it -- I was actually down there looking for chests), and for the nymph I had the Lifeform Detector from the travelling merchant and wandered around the Cavern layer until I found one (helped that I'm playing on Journey, so I could crank up the difficulty to guarantee the drop).

Speaking of farming and liquids, how would one set up an obsidian generator in 1.4? It seems like the old methods of setting up infinite water/lava tanks doesn't work anymore, or at least there was something wrong with my setup because I couldn't get it to refill the tanks without me manually adding more liquid to them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, just going to the beach and dialling up spawns as high as you can make them is probably your best bet.

I've also not seen a pyramid in any of the five or six worlds I've generated since 1.4.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Don't forget that pyramids can be buried. The last few I have found were underground.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I know, I always dig-check my deserts for them. Still haven't gotten any. Mind you, they were never a guaranteed feature, so I'm not too surprised by it. They seem to be even rarer now, however.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Peachfart posted:

Don't forget that pyramids can be buried. The last few I have found were underground.

I honestly thought they could only be underground, before I just looked it up now. I've never seen them protruding on the surface.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It depends on how shallow the desert is. If it has space for the entire pyramid, it will pretty much always be generated completely buried, so small worlds are more likely to have them show than larger worlds.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
lol what good is a completely buried pyramid to an extremely early game player who could still use its items? they're not going to find it, at least not until much later when they've tunneled through the whole world

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're always in the desert and usually pretty much in the middle. No world has more than two or three deserts and digging straight down for a few blocks isn't really much of a challenge. You could practically do it right out of chargen. As long as you're aware of where you could find it if it's there, it's not really difficult to do so in practice.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Something one could try is find a cool world in 1.3 using this in TML, and then check if the same seed gives the same general properties in 1.4. (No guarantee of that given that they've changed worldgen a lot.)

Or skip the first step and just use a seed reported to give a lot of pyramids in 1.3, e.g.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cat Mattress posted:

Something one could try is find a cool world in 1.3 using this in TML, and then check if the same seed gives the same general properties in 1.4. (No guarantee of that given that they've changed worldgen a lot.)

Or skip the first step and just use a seed reported to give a lot of pyramids in 1.3, e.g.

1.3 seeds aren't mapping at all to 1.4 as far as I can tell from the speedrunning community

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they wouldn't. Too many new objects, new blocks, hell, even new trees... The same seed couldn't possibly end up giving you anything even close to what it used to in 1.3.x.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Fish for crates in lava. If you find something called "superheated blood", it's your mount summon for the lava shark.

Oh yeah, fishing! That was the last thing I wanted to do before going to hardmode. I haven't fished once, I think I bought a rod at one point and threw it in water, didn't catch anything and never had a reason to try again. I have a few bugs somewhere in a chest I think, but despite knowing there are very mysterious and exclusive items in fishing... blegh, just feel like I've done enough of that this year or maybe forever. Is the fishing in this game better or worse than in animal crossing or stardew? In every case, it's not good enough and I don't think I wanna.

I did jump into hardmode yesterday and it's already bugging me out and I closed the game because I found my corruption streaks and had to watch them takeover my beautiful snow through my quarantine zones mercilessly. I hadn't even identified the other streak of corruption so idk if its blood or hallow corruption yet on the other side. Must've been subtle because I walked edge to edge and only noticed the horrible purple corruption. Goddamn, those blocks I painstakingly cleansed, already getting re poisoned. I knew this was coming, I know that it's "not a big deal" and "necessary" but i freaking don't like it. Whose asses to I beeline to kick to start purifying this terrain en masse ASAP. I know there's a clentaminator that does something like that, but it my quick map tour to check for damage nothing new stuck out to me as a thing to do or explore.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I did jump into hardmode yesterday and it's already bugging me out and I closed the game because I found my corruption streaks and had to watch them takeover my beautiful snow through my quarantine zones mercilessly. I hadn't even identified the other streak of corruption so idk if its blood or hallow corruption yet on the other side. Must've been subtle because I walked edge to edge and only noticed the horrible purple corruption. Goddamn, those blocks I painstakingly cleansed, already getting re poisoned. I knew this was coming, I know that it's "not a big deal" and "necessary" but i freaking don't like it. Whose asses to I beeline to kick to start purifying this terrain en masse ASAP. I know there's a clentaminator that does something like that, but it my quick map tour to check for damage nothing new stuck out to me as a thing to do or explore.

Pre-hardmode, corruption etc. only spread through grass, so if you have it contained at the very surface you've basically got it contained. In hardmode, it also spreads through many types of blocks, so you need to have some (fairly thick - three tile I think?) borders of either a. no blocks at all or b. blocks of a type that it can't spread through.

That said, don't be in too much of a rush to purify, as there are a number of unique things that can only be found in hardmode corruption(/crimson) and hallow. Among other things, that includes ingredients for making some of the next few boss-spawning items...

As far as progress goes, you got a new hammer from Wall of Flesh. See what you can do with that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've got a few shafts to hell with 5 title gaps and incorruptible blocks, as well as two railroads that go diagonally all the way to hell and tried to maintain 5 tile gaps for those as well. Looks like the corruption just happened to clip through most of my quarantine zones.

I noticed the hammer, but I always see people bragging about never destroying altars and it seemed worse than my hellstone hamaxe so I chucked it in a chest in one of my hell-railroad stations. Guess I gotta bust at least one to get some action, huh

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Guess I gotta bust at least one to get some action, huh

Three, unless you want to get all of your hardmode ore from fishing. That makes sense in Journey, but it would be exhausting in other modes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I completely skipped smashing altars in my world. My armor progression in general was a bit weird. Started at silver, then went to gold, then shadow, then made a crimson world for crimson armor instead because I needed the health regen. Used crimson until I finally found a hive and got to bee armor, which kicked off my full summoner build. Used bee through WoF, then spider until I killed a mech boss. Then it was hallowed summoner, tiki, and finally stardust.

Sometime in the tiki zone I finally fished up my tenth adamantine crate and could start duping them, just for completion's sake since the only real use I had for the bars is the higher-tier furnace for some of the bars for the DCU.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I tend to not even bother with altars, either. At this point, I find it easy enough to kill the mechanical bosses even with sub-par equipment that I just completely skip to hallowed the way I also skip the early-game ores in favour of going right to Crimtane/Demonite.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't you need hardmode ores to make the new anvil?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes, but you can get the ores with a handful of chests.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
After getting better at potions and arenas thanks to journey mode, I'm take on master mode bosses now, skipping past expert. Feels good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't need a lot of it, so smashing two altars and then ignoring the rest of them is also a valid solution.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well fuckery. Here's counting down to Lowtax shutting down the forums in a fit pique, I guess.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cardiovorax posted:

You don't need a lot of it, so smashing two altars and then ignoring the rest of them is also a valid solution.

The first alter of each type creates wayyy more ore than the others btw, the rest afterward only fill in little bits and pieces in between. Anyway seize the means of posting, join every goon discord you can find, that means less control for the tax man

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Lone Badger posted:

Mythril crates drop the second-tier ore and are a lot more prevalent than adamantine, I had my anvil within like half an hour.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I don't seem to be able to get the forest pylon to show up. I tried the merchant and the nurse in a forest house and the zoologist and the golfer. Both pairings give me a happy merchant according to their reply but they won't sell the pylon. Not sure what I'm missing here? I moved the angler and the stylist to an ocean house and the stylist sold me the pylon with no issue :shrug:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is there anyone else close by? If there's more than one person within 25 tiles or more than 3 within 125 tiles that will make them less happy.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, I just grab it early doors with the guide and merchant as the first 2 NPCs

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You shouldn't need a second NPC at all to buy the pylon, a merchant in the forest alone should do the trick.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The forest pylon is very exclusive and will not appear if the biome qualifies as anything else. If you don't see the forest pylon but do see some other pylon, you've got to move further away.

On a normal worlds, sky islands count as forests for pylon purposes (there isn't a sky or space pylon) and it should be far away enough from snow/sand/jungle/hallow/beach.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

You shouldn't need a second NPC at all to buy the pylon, a merchant in the forest alone should do the trick.
They only sell them while they're happy. You can use them whenever there's the correct number of NPCs nearby, but to get them to sell it, they must like where they are and be happy enough to have it show up.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cardiovorax posted:

They only sell them while they're happy. You can use them whenever there's the correct number of NPCs nearby, but to get them to sell it, they must like where they are and be happy enough to have it show up.

He's happy enough in that circumstance. Try it -- build one house in a biome, assign a single NPC to that one house who likes that biome. They'll already sell you that biome's pylon assuming the biome counts

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is there anyone else close by? If there's more than one person within 25 tiles or more than 3 within 125 tiles that will make them less happy.
Huh, it's probably the 125 tiles thing then as I took the 25 tile range into account. I just moved them out of my npc tower to quickly get the pylon but it probably wasnt far enough. I'l try to make another cabin farther away and check again.

Would be nice if the npc reply would take that into account because according to that they're as happy as they can be

E: Yep, it was too close to the tower

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 30, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tin Tim posted:

Huh, it's probably the 125 tiles thing then as I took the 25 tile range into account. I just moved them out of my npc tower to quickly get the pylon but it probably wasnt far enough. I'l try to make another cabin farther away and check again.

Would be nice if the npc reply would take that into account because according to that they're as happy as they can be

E: Yep, it was too close to the tower

There are two "happy" statements per NPC, one about the biome and one about crowding. You should expect to see both.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's the 5 year anniversary of 1.3

1.3 Patch Notes posted:

You now get fishing rewards for every 5 turn ins, versus the previous requirement of 10.

:suicide:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've never fished but assumed 1 fish = 1 reward. If it's really 5, lol, I'll just never fish.

If I don't have to smash altars, I won't and I'll fight this next punk with my flaming mace and hellstone armor, whose rear end do I kick and how do I get their rear end to show up?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I've never fished but assumed 1 fish = 1 reward. If it's really 5, lol, I'll just never fish.

If I don't have to smash altars, I won't and I'll fight this next punk with my flaming mace and hellstone armor, whose rear end do I kick and how do I get their rear end to show up?
I think that means gear, rather than 3 gold, 2 apprentice bait, and a decoration you can put on the wall.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it's for the special angler outfits. You are guaranteed to get one piece of these every five quests. The accessories you can get randomly at any time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Khanstant posted:

The straightforward way of getting them to show up is to smash at least one altar. :v: At that point they each (there are three) have a 10% chance to spawn at dusk, so long as they haven't been beaten yet.

Barring that you can still make the spawning items, though you'll have to take the fishing route (again, less straightforward) for the ore to make the anvil.

Anvil: Get enough mythril or orichalcum ore (40 / 48) or bars (10 / 12) from fishing crates, to make the respective hardmode anvil.
Old ingredients: Lenses (eyeballs at night), Bones (dungeon), Rotten Chunks/Vertebrae (corruption/crimson), Iron/Lead Bars
New ingredients: Souls of Light (underground Hallow) and Night (underground Corruption/Crimson)

Mix 'em together for boss-summoning items. You can show the Guide an iron/lead bar to get the exact recipe.

Like Eye of Cthulhu, these bosses are night-only and can be fought anywhere on the surface.