Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Posting the riptide with all the colors blocked in, just gotta do washes and highlights. I did wash the gun because I was waiting for a part to dry and got bored

Definitely the largest thing I've done to date but I'm super proud of it so far

Looks really good! Do you mind sharing what blue that is? I am doing a large force of Tau up and have been struggling to come up with a paint scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
If I can't play games at least I can paint some terrain.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Looks really good! Do you mind sharing what blue that is? I am doing a large force of Tau up and have been struggling to come up with a paint scheme.

Thanks! I prime black, then the main blue about two/three coats of P3 Exile Blue. The white P3 frostbite, which takes like 5 coats sometimes. And the glow attempt on the weapon is the white but with a little bit of gulliman blue glaze

I originally got these colors to make space wolves, but I think they look better on the Tau

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 1, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just remembered that I was convinced that Psychic Awakening was going to end up being the addition of the Sigmar-style cinematic spell casting, ie the models that you place on the board and they move around and stuff. Kinda shocked it never made it into 40k.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gunder posted:

Just remembered that I was convinced that Psychic Awakening was going to end up being the addition of the Sigmar-style cinematic spell casting, ie the models that you place on the board and they move around and stuff. Kinda shocked it never made it into 40k.

What exactly is that?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The Bee posted:

What exactly is that?

They call them Endless Spells now apparently. Here's a box of some of the models. I think they're faction specific. I don't play Sigmar, but my limited understanding is that you cast the spell, and then place the corresponding model onto the table, and it functions as a separate unit that may eventually turn against you? I can't really remember.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gunder posted:

It seemed plausible at the time. They released living spells for Age of Sigmar and then immediately publicized an upcoming major event for 40k involving rampant psychic phenomenon across the galaxy, without saying what form that major event would take in terms of products.

"Maybe this is that again for the other thing." "Sure, could be."

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Booley posted:

loving hell! Looks really impressive.

Out of curiousity, does it actually come with a flight stand/base or anything? Or are you left to your own devices if you're crazy enough to want to play it in a game? I can only imagine it would need a thick plastic rod and a big heavy wooden base to have any stability.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Booley posted:

Uhh did you free hand the bird on the cockpit door?

Either way god :drat:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How much overlap is there between space marine chapters? Like for space wolves I know a lot of stuff is exclusive or tied to doctrines (wulfen, named units, thunderwolf cavalry, etc) but if I decide to get into ultramarines or blood angels at some point, is there a fair amount of overlap as far as core units? I like the idea that I can branch out to specific chapters slowly once I have some common stuff. Do most stores/events get picky about not having the right colors? Because I don't want to have to buy an intercessor unit in 4 different colors, but it would be nice to just use my wolf core units as a springboard to make other armies.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

It seemed plausible at the time. They released living spells for Age of Sigmar and then immediately publicized an upcoming major event for 40k involving rampant psychic phenomenon across the galaxy, without saying what form that major event would take in terms of products.

Yeah I think guessing these types of area spells which sort of drift around the board being included in 9th as the psychic awakening finishes was a good guess, and to be fair I don't think I've seen anything discuss the psychic phase yet, not even the grey Knight faction focus. This means there's either a big reveal or basically nothings changed.

I kind of like psychic awakening as a game concept, in the sense it's an opportunity to update everyone over the course of a year or two rather than letting armies fall behind because they haven't had a new codex. That being said, the name psychic awakening has been pretty shite.

With the exception of Grey Knights, who did get crazy new psychic abilities but these aren't explicitly the result of any awakening, how many armies actually got any new psykers or psychic rules? It seems mostly about the fluff in each book explaining that the psychic awakening is happening, rather than it being demonstrated on the tabletop, which means on order to get the big picture you have to buy and read every single book.

Even then I have Ritual of the Damned and the story is basically Magnus is up to some poo poo so the Grey Knights ally with the Dark Angels, as the Grey Knights are stretched so thin, and they send a task force to fight Magnus, and they win but at a terrible cost. Not a bad story as its written, but you could write such a story at any time in any place.

With the exception of some armies that got shafted, I think rules wise PA has been pretty cool. Fluff wise I think it's been pretty awful.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How much overlap is there between space marine chapters? Like for space wolves I know a lot of stuff is exclusive or tied to doctrines (wulfen, named units, thunderwolf cavalry, etc) but if I decide to get into ultramarines or blood angels at some point, is there a fair amount of overlap as far as core units? I like the idea that I can branch out to specific chapters slowly once I have some common stuff. Do most stores/events get picky about not having the right colors? Because I don't want to have to buy an intercessor unit in 4 different colors, but it would be nice to just use my wolf core units as a springboard to make other armies.

There's tons of overlap for the core units like intercessors.

The only thing when it comes to paint schemes is that firstly it depends on tournament by tournament, and secondly it really depends on the specifics.

If you come up with a distinctly personal paint scheme, let's say purple armour with white helmets, and you paint a load of blood angels in that scheme and say "these are blood angels successors" and then in another tournament you include some space wolves stuff instead of the BA stuff and say "these count as space wolves" most tournaments won't mind.

What they are more likely to take issue with is if you have an army that has space wolves stuff, but the intercessors are paint as blood angels, and the terminators are painted as dark angels, and you say "these are all space wolves". A lot of tournaments will want your army to have a coherent colour scheme.

It's why if you're not sure the safest bet is to paint them a distinct colour scheme that isn't a main chapter, make them your "own" chapter, and then use them as a "counts as" as whatever chapter you want to play as.

Every tournament has its own rules on painting though, ranging from "unpainted models are fine" up to GWs "WYSIWYG, and all chapters must be painted as their chapter".

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Rik Turner did something similar with his Blood Ravens. I can't remember which issue it was in but his army was featured in White Dwarf and he had some of the special units from Blood Angels and I think Black Templars in his collection and just used the rules for whatever chapter he was using the models for.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The eradicators seem super strong at 100 points. Unless hellblasters somehow go down in points, despite the announced overall points increase, I really don’t know how it’s balanced. They cost almost exactly the same per model, and new hotness has 3w 5 toughness. Even if the guns are sorta comparable in output, it’s still seems insane to me. They’re are same almost the price (before increase) of an intercessors squad, ~ same wounds, same armor and better toughness. Also, lol wraithguard at twice the points and half the range, worse gun, again before supposed points increases.

Whoever predicted lotsa vehicles in 9th need to rethink once these assholes hit the tables for every SM army I think, unless 7th armor mechanics are coming back (please no). They are easily targetable I guess, but also easily hideable. Aside from the cost, I mostly dislike them from an overall mechanics/fluff perspective. Imo long range melta fire should be like a super heavy and rare thing mainly for titans, knights, baneblades etc. for both mechanics and fluff reasons. It’s even assault guns giving them a 18-23 inch threat range for being in 2d6 pick highest melta range and 30-35 inch with normal shoot twice on one target range - on smaller tables no less. I guess the trend of everything just doing EVEN MOOoOooRE damage continues, ugh.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 1, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
These points lists for marines are doing the rounds now and seem in line with expectations.

• Heavy weapons have cheaper costs for infantry
  • Blast weapons are broadly more expensive.
  • Units like Hellblasters have had their weapon option costs rolled into the base model.
  • Eradicators are 40ppm, so 120pts for the squad.

They could be fake, but if we see Primaris Chaplain on Bike as one of the new models in this weekend's preview then it's probably legit.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 1, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Omg bike chaplain

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
It's also really possible that that's a platest doc and things could have changed for release from what's shown there, points wise. But at least it should be ballpark correct, yeah?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Go kart chaplain when

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I did some digging through my old mags and Rik's army was in White Dwarf October 2016 after all. It's weird that I can remember that but not how many days are in each month. He used grey knights rules for some of his units.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Stephenls posted:

Was honestly a little excited about the prospect of Eldar getting an incarnation of Eldritch Storm that matched the version you got in the Dawn of War games.

or just get Eldritch Storm again at all, really.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Psyber Spine posted:

I did some digging through my old mags and Rik's army was in White Dwarf October 2016 after all. It's weird that I can remember that but not how many days are in each month. He used grey knights rules for some of his units.

Man, now I want to make a Blood Raven army after seeing this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda was half into doing it and I have like 1 HQ and 2 Marine combat teams by this point. But then I sorta lost the urge and just went over to painting random chapters.
Even if I still have like 3 different unpainted squads of old and new models that I'll probably just make into Blood Ravens either way. Oh and a RHIIIINOOOOOO.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

loving hell! Looks really impressive.

Out of curiousity, does it actually come with a flight stand/base or anything? Or are you left to your own devices if you're crazy enough to want to play it in a game? I can only imagine it would need a thick plastic rod and a big heavy wooden base to have any stability.
It does not. I drilled a rather large hole into the bottom in prep for whenever I get around to making a base.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Uhh did you free hand the bird on the cockpit door?

Either way god :drat:

The wings there are from the custodes decal sheet, I don't like freehanding.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/01/indomitus-pre-order-date-revealed/

The pre-order date for Indomitus box revealed to be July 11. So next weekend. And then the release date will be July 25th.
And we're getting two different Chapter Approved books, one aimed for Competitive play and the other with all the new updated points values.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Why have two books then? What would the comp book do different than just point values?

Edit: read the link and I still think they should just so both in one book

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

They haven't said how much the box is going to cost yet have they?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Why have two books then? What would the comp book do different than just point values?

Edit: read the link and I still think they should just so both in one book

Age of Sigmar does it and honestly it's smart. You will rarely need the point values in the middle of the game so it helps to shave off the excess.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Also the Tournament Rules will not really go out of date, so maybe this way they'll be properly kept in print.

Charging for rules updates and points with a limited shelf life is a little rich, but it's GW's way.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Last Chapter Approved had two books -- one for general stuff and one for points -- but they were sold as one product shrinkwrapped together. The points values were separated out into a different book for easier reference.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/01/faction-focus-thousand-sons/

It's time to crush some minds with a combined look at this threads favourite heretic marines and psychic powers.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/01/faction-focus-thousand-sons/

It's time to crush some minds with a combined look at this threads favourite heretic marines and psychic powers.

Not being able to cast psychic powers after falling back is an interesting change.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Not being able to cast psychic powers after falling back is an interesting change.

I think they distinguish between casting (manifesting a psychic power) and performing a psychic action.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

It just says you can't use a Psychic action when falling back. So, Psychic powers in battle are still the same, this is purely about new mission/scoring actions.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Desfore posted:

It just says you can't use a Psychic action when falling back. So, Psychic powers in battle are still the same, this is purely about new mission/scoring actions.

Contingency posted:

I think they distinguish between casting (manifesting a psychic power) and performing a psychic action.

The article literally has a sentence by the play tester stating that you can't fall back and cast psychic powers.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

The Article posted:

This edition presents some new challenges and opportunities now that Psykers can no longer manifest powers after falling back.

This is what I was referring to.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

This is what I was referring to.

Thanks--a couple of us missed that. You initially quoted an image outlining psychic actions (not psychic powers) so at first glance that's what you were running with.

Kyari
Jun 16, 2007
Really curious to see who/what ends up with a Supreme Commander keyword.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Does that mean I can take Magus in a 50 pl game? Won't he cost me all the power level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Kyari posted:

Really curious to see who/what ends up with a Supreme Commander keyword.

Yeah I wonder if any guard generals will get it. If so it might be worth it given how relatively inexpensive a lot of guard characters are.

Where is my lord solar macharius!!!