Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If anything I think I've actually been seeing mask usage improve honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just got back from my semi-weekly grocery run and mask compliance was pretty good here in LA at ralphs.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Two weekends ago no one was wearing a mask in Monterey (had to visit for work). The weekend after nearly everyone was.

Interesting turn around.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Burning_Monk posted:

Two weekends ago no one was wearing a mask in Monterey (had to visit for work). The weekend after nearly everyone was.

Interesting turn around.

Still seeing many many many people marin and coronoma county not wearing masks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

some good news:

https://twitter.com/DominicFracassa/status/1278080125041549313

to catch people up, almost two years ago SF passed a ballot measure, Prop C, or Our Cities Our Homes, a 0.5% tax on only businesses in the city with over 50 million dollars in annual revenue, to be spent on permanent housing and mental health and other services for the unhoused.

it was opposed by mayor London "i want th unhoused to die" Breed and Scott "tallest stack of poo poo in Sacramento" Weiner, and when it passed with 62% of the vote, immediately a bunch of concerned dirtbags sued the city, confident that they could get the whole thing shut down.

why did they think that? well, State Prop 218, passed in 1996 (and whose wikipedia article has a section titled "Profound Impact on California Governance") says that all tax increases must pass as ballot measures by two thirds majorities!! Boooo prop 218! But the city attorney has said ever since prop C was first being discussed that it only needed 50% to pass, because prop 218 only applies to measures put on the ballot by elected officials, not ones introduced by referendum and signature-gathering. And he based that on a 2017 California Supreme Court Decision that i haven't read.

Well, now four judges in a row have agreed with him, and it will probably go to that same state supreme court, and we'll probably get to spend the hundreds of millions we've already collected. BUT EVEN BETTER, it will show a clear path that people everywhere in California can use to start actually funding social services and making their cities genuinely supportive of human life.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 1, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, now four judges in a row have agreed with him, and it will probably go to that same state supreme court, and we'll probably get to spend the hundreds of millions we've already collected. BUT EVEN BETTER, it will show a clear path that people everywhere in California can use to start actually funding social services and making their cities genuinely supportive of human life.

Sounds like we need an industry-backed proposition to ban human life, if you ask me. :colbert:

(Glad to see this is getting upheld. Hopefully the SC won't poo poo on it out of nowhere.)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I just looked that up and wow, Breed couldn't even come up with a better argument against it other than it would be "anti business" lol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Supposedly Gavinbot is set to print out some new lockdown orders tomorrow.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

some good news:

https://twitter.com/DominicFracassa/status/1278080125041549313

to catch people up, almost two years ago SF passed a ballot measure, Prop C, or Our Cities Our Homes, a 0.5% tax on only businesses in the city with over 50 million dollars in annual revenue, to be spent on permanent housing and mental health and other services for the unhoused.

it was opposed by mayor London "i want th unhoused to die" Breed and Scott "tallest stack of poo poo in Sacramento" Weiner, and when it passed with 62% of the vote, immediately a bunch of concerned dirtbags sued the city, confident that they could get the whole thing shut down.

why did they think that? well, State Prop 218, passed in 1996 (and whose wikipedia article has a section titled "Profound Impact on California Governance") says that all tax increases must pass as ballot measures by two thirds majorities!! Boooo prop 218! But the city attorney has said ever since prop C was first being discussed that it only needed 50% to pass, because prop 218 only applies to measures put on the ballot by elected officials, not ones introduced by referendum and signature-gathering. And he based that on a 2017 California Supreme Court Decision that i haven't read.

:hellyeah:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think that they are afraid, and rightfully so, that if this gets upheld a whole bunch of tax referendums are going to start piling onto the ballots and that in the current political climate taxing the rich into the loving ground might just be popular enough to get 50%+1 when it shows up. Which means either large tax bills in a market too large to safely abandon or having to dump tens or even hundreds of millions to prevent passage, which is a lot more than they usually have to spend to keep a supermajority of assemblymembers from voting yea on a tax measure.

I relish their fear.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jaxyon posted:

I called a new lockdown within the next two weeks a week and a half ago. I think it's gonna get rough out here, people are in an insurrectionary mood and another clear signal that normal isn't coming back isn't going to help that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kenning posted:

I called a new lockdown within the next two weeks a week and a half ago. I think it's gonna get rough out here, people are in an insurrectionary mood and another clear signal that normal isn't coming back isn't going to help that.

They probably should've thought about that before going to the motherfucking beach mid-pandemic. :(

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think that they are afraid, and rightfully so, that if this gets upheld a whole bunch of tax referendums are going to start piling onto the ballots and that in the current political climate taxing the rich into the loving ground might just be popular enough to get 50%+1 when it shows up. Which means either large tax bills in a market too large to safely abandon or having to dump tens or even hundreds of millions to prevent passage, which is a lot more than they usually have to spend to keep a supermajority of assemblymembers from voting yea on a tax measure.

I relish their fear.

:sickos::getin:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

why did they think that? well, State Prop 218, passed in 1996 (and whose wikipedia article has a section titled "Profound Impact on California Governance")

always a good section to need on a wiki page. lets you know it made things great, and normal too

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sundae posted:

They probably should've thought about that before going to the motherfucking beach mid-pandemic. :(

Beaches are pretty darn low on lists of “infection hotspots”, it’s way safer than anything indoors you can think of.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd love to just sit on the beach away from people. Unfortunately, it's full of huge groups of people doing poo poo together like dumbasses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
London Breed is loving walking human garbage.

Jaxyon posted:

Good, he hosed up by caving to all the idiots clamoring for him to reopen and hopefully this time around he has the balls to hold firm until we actually have this thing under control so we can avoid the perpetual repeat brownout scenario most of the country is going to be facing for the next ~12-18 months absent an accelerated effective vaccine.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Covid sure is going to be fun when fire season starts and the power goes out again.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

Covid sure is going to be fun when fire season starts and the power goes out again.

I have been reliably* informed that PG&E** has installed many new switches in their power grid and can target their brownout areas far more precisely than in the previous year, therefore everything will be much better this time around.

*PG&E is not actually reliable

**PG&E delenda est

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was a week or so in April where we hot 90s-100s in SoCal and LA County opened up the Community Cool Shelters But With Social Distancing.

So die of heat stroke or die of Covid. Great choices.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

But San Francisco is so 'Liberal' !
*spawns Kopmala Harris and Breed*

Sydin posted:

hopefully this time around he has the balls to hold firm until we actually have this thing under control so we can avoid the perpetual repeat brownout scenario most of the country is going to be facing for the next ~12-18 months absent an accelerated effective vaccine.

I'm leaning 75% certainty this is not the case, just that they won't let it get Florida/Texas/Arizona bad with each cycle, resulting in more cycles but less death.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sydin posted:

Good, he hosed up by caving to all the idiots clamoring for him to reopen and hopefully this time around he has the balls to hold firm until we actually have this thing under control so we can avoid the perpetual repeat brownout scenario most of the country is going to be facing for the next ~12-18 months absent an accelerated effective vaccine.

Here's the thing: unless the state sets up a testing > contact tracing > quarantine regime, we're just gonna be locking down and then opening up for the next year or two until the virus evolves to be less deadly. A new lockdown is strictly just going to be about keeping ICU beds open otherwise.

Also gently caress London Breed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

droll posted:

But San Francisco is so 'Liberal' !
*spawns Kopmala Harris and Breed*

And Pelosi lol

Kenning posted:

Here's the thing: unless the state sets up a testing > contact tracing > quarantine regime, we're just gonna be locking down and then opening up for the next year or two until the virus evolves to be less deadly. A new lockdown is strictly just going to be about keeping ICU beds open otherwise.

Even in the grips of a desperate budget shortfall California has the resources to set all of this up and more, so it should be done. It won't be - you're right this is more about just making sure hospitals don't get overwhelmed - but it should.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

And Pelosi lol

Don't forget DiFi

e: if Kamala becomes VP we have a good chance of getting two fresh faces in the senate soon (Diane Feinstein will be dead). Can't wait to see how badly we gently caress that up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Don't forget DiFi

e: if Kamala becomes VP we have a good chance of getting two fresh faces in the senate soon (Diane Feinstein will be dead). Can't wait to see how badly we gently caress that up.

It'll be a Q-anon Rebulican

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Don't forget DiFi

How do you feel about Tom Steyer?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

How do you feel about Tom Steyer?

gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
We're gonna have Senators GavBot and Tom Steyer for the next 2 decades and we're just gonna have to live with it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where will I be able to see the Newsom's-new-restrictions speech? I always try to figure out beforehand and always fail, the live link on youtube goes up like 2 minutes before he starts to talk and there's no announcement anywhere beforehand about when he will talk. Please link me if I'm wrong!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Don't forget DiFi

You're pretty optimistic that some plucky band of adventurers will find Feinstein's phylactery.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

You're pretty optimistic that some plucky band of adventurers will find Feinstein's phylactery.

She'll be buried in earthquake rubble only to be released by greedy dwarven miners in 10,000 years

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok ABC news is going to stream it at 12pm on Youtube.
https://abc7news.com/newsom-restrictions-stay-at-home-july-4th-california-coronavirus/6287924/
https://www.youtube.com/abc7news

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

redreader posted:

Where will I be able to see the Newsom's-new-restrictions speech? I always try to figure out beforehand and always fail, the live link on youtube goes up like 2 minutes before he starts to talk and there's no announcement anywhere beforehand about when he will talk. Please link me if I'm wrong!

LAist.com usually has the livestream link and they liveblog it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Come on down Loretta Sanchez!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Newsom's got a bit of a Duck's rear end haircut going

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
https://youtu.be/pWa0dZMHYeE

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Glumslinger posted:

We're gonna have Senators GavBot and Tom Steyer for the next 2 decades and we're just gonna have to live with it

they're gonna trigger swalwell's order 66 and he'll become supremely centrist with vatgrown efficiency to conquer the seat

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Watching Gavbot try to explain why wearing a mask is tough and cool and I'm getting flashbacks of working as a teacher's aide and trying to convince kindergarteners to go to the restroom instead of peeing their pants on the playground

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Watching Gavbot try to explain why wearing a mask is tough and cool and I'm getting flashbacks of working as a teacher's aide and trying to convince kindergarteners to go to the restroom instead of peeing their pants on the playground

Come on kids, even Ahnuld is doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Huh, I didn't know about this program:

https://covid19.ca.gov/restaurants-deliver-home-meals-for-seniors/