Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have a 144hz monitor and everything above 60fps looks the same to me. I've tried a couple different shooters at 144fps and 60fps and I can't tell the difference. I guess this makes me lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

69fps or nothing

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

StrixNebulosa posted:

alright alright sorry about bringing it up. Here's Monster Train for you, it's gorgeous and fun;
The two initial factions are the most rounded but things get real fun when you unlock the other ones.

Remnants are hilarious if you get the support to manage their downsides. They have a champion option where he starts out as 150/150 with no downsides at all except for dying in 3 turns

Also the card art is all wonderful

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have a 144hz monitor and everything above 60fps looks the same to me. I've tried a couple different shooters at 144fps and 60fps and I can't tell the difference. I guess this makes me lucky?

You are! Assuming your refresh rate is set appropriately in your Windows display settings. Common thing people forget to do when they upgrade to 144hz and don't see a difference

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Sounds like the Death Stranding PC version is a good port. Any idea if they overshot their minimum requirements? Because the minimums on Steam are a bit above where my PC is at now.

Easily fixed if I upgrade my GPU, like I plan to for Cyberpunk, but I'd rather hold off on that until November.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CLARPUS posted:

You are! Assuming your refresh rate is set appropriately in your Windows display settings. Common thing people forget to do when they upgrade to 144hz and don't see a difference

This had me worried but I checked and it is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

alright alright sorry about bringing it up. Here's Monster Train for you, it's gorgeous and fun;

Monster Train is interesting and very different from Slay the Spire. The way you progress through the game is very similar, but how you play it is almost more like a card game in the vein of MTG, but by way of a tower defense game of sorts. Instead of fighting individual groups, you fight multi-wave assaults which progress through four different levels of the titular train, often on multiple levels at a time. You set up defensive groups on each level, but ideally you want to destroy each group in less than four turns so they can't attack your persistent life total. It's pretty cool and I think I like it more than Slay the Spire.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I like how Monster Train feels like a natural evolution of Slay the Spire, it's clearly its own thing but the influence is there and they're both extremely good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It has a more strategic dimension to it, which is something I really like. Where Slay the Spire feels more like the stereotypical roguelite taken to card form, Monster Train feels more like a light RTS or party-based RPG in a comparable format. It's definitely related, but so different that you couldn't possibly call Monster Train just a Slay The Spire clone unless you've never actually played it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What do ya'll find to be the most useful categories for when you're browsing your library to pick the next thing to play? Genres (RPG, Stealth, Racing)? How the game plays (P&C, FPS, Card Battler)? How it feels? (Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy)? Or something else (howlongtobeat, metacritic score)?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You should be able to tell the difference here

https://www.testufo.com/

and just a double check: https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate

Some games don't really matter much or if you have a good adaptive vsync setup, its a bit less noticeble and sort of wjhatever, especially if its a slow or not much going on. However, playing Overwatch @ 144hz was basically aimbotting and my KDR went way up, esp when fighting tracers as meatboy or playing mccree/soldier/tracer. Pretty much everyone went to that because it's a genuinely boost in ability to track and kill at high-speeds with fluidity, it almost feels like it puts you into The Matrix slow-mo zone at times and just everything is like molasses for you to click heads.

If you aren't doing competitive FPS games, racing, or other high-speed games like AMID EVIL, it doesn't matter that much. However, if you do, it is a very nice to have. It's not quite Platter Drive -> SSD or CRT -> Modern LCD upgrades which make it impossible to go back, but it's pretty up there especially if you tend to play faster-paced shoot-mans, especially competitively.

I would put it on a realm of SSD -> M.2 NVME drive tier upgrade; most people probably won't notice and most will do just fine with a normal Samsung EVO 850 SSD or whatever; however, if you do really want to eek out some QoL improvements then going for an NVME is pretty handy even if it's not mind-blowingly different. Same for 144hz

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 1, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

What do ya'll find to be the most useful categories for when you're browsing your library to pick the next thing to play? Genres (RPG, Stealth, Racing)? How the game plays (P&C, FPS, Card Battler)? How it feels? (Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy)? Or something else (howlongtobeat, metacritic score)?
I would say average rating and genre, although I find a lot of games these days by browsing the "similar to" list at the bottom of the store page for games that I already like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I would say average rating and genre, although I find a lot of games these days by browsing the "similar to" list at the bottom of the store page for games that I already like.

I meant games you already owned in your library, not how to shop

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Genres for me. That way I have a better idea of what a game is like so I can go "hmm I want to solve a puzzle" or "I want to shoot things" and voila there they are

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

I meant games you already owned in your library, not how to shop
I know, it's just kind of both for me at this point. I own so much bundle crap that I've totally forgotten about some of it at this point, so looking at similar games sometimes gives me surprise presents from myself to myself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shrecknet posted:

I split my backlog into casual puzzles, short games (at most 3 hours playtime), demos, and everything else. I've tried other schemes but this is the best one I've found so far.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the 60fps feel always seemed like a big part of why arcade games felt so high-energy and vibrant compared to stuff you could play at home

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Regardless of how you individually feel about framerates the difference in input delay between 30 and 60 FPS is highly noticeable, which is why it's industry standard for fighting and technical action games to target 60fps baseline.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Regardless of how you individually feel about framerates the difference in input delay between 30 and 60 FPS is highly noticeable, which is why it's industry standard for fighting and technical action games to target 60fps baseline.
That's why I like 30 FPS as a thinking man's strategic frame rate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

explosivo posted:

I successfully peer pressured 3 of my co-op gaming friends to buy Deeprock Galactic and we had a fuckin' blast tonight. There's always a lot of pressure when I try to get my friends into stuff because it doesn't always stick but I think we'll be playing this for a while. This game is so much fun when you can get a team together, working together to move around efficiently is real satisfying when everyone meshes. I will also say that unlike most games of this type you can totally have a good time playing this game solo too. Your drone mines what you point it at so it becomes a pretty chill experience I have found goes great with watching some bullshit on your other monitor while you play.

I’ve watched a couple of videos on this and I don’t think I get it. What do you actually do? It seems Minecrafty and maybe no mans sky-ish?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve watched a couple of videos on this and I don’t think I get it. What do you actually do? It seems Minecrafty and maybe no mans sky-ish?

It's a 4-player co-op game in 15-25 minute long randomized missions of variety of objects in the vein of Left4Dead/Vermintide/Payday 2 where there's 4 classes that work together to do teamwork and do objectives and shoot waves of bugs while making profit for the corporation. If you don't like 4-palyer co-op games like L4D/Payday/Vermintide/etc then you might not like it. It's really not a single-player game nor do I recommend it, even though you can play SP.

i.e. Driller has no-clip mode and just says 'hey this geometry loving sucks. haha drill goes brrrrrrrrrr" and tunnels, engineer has a turret and platforms (like gloo gun from prey sort of) to make stairs or put landings above minerals, gunner has a team shield and ziplines for the team to travel across places quickly and big guns, and scout has a flare gun to light things up and a grapple hook to zip around and hop ontop of platforms that the engineer placed or whatever. There's a variety of main objectives, sub-objectives, and sort of meta-progression minerals that can mine out of the wall (or ceiling) you get to keep at the end of the mission and you then use to buy skins/upgrades/mods for your loadouts. Game modes include drilling up eggs, mining certain minerals, killing big bad dreadnoughts, restoring robots and holding out over a point against waves of bugs.

pubbies are very good in it because it's very slickly designed not to have anything be MEMEMEME and everyone earns the same resources/experience at the end of the map. it's a good latenight stoned/drunkn game just to kick back and shoot the poo poo and shoot bugs.

also starship troopers was a documentary

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a 4 player coop shooter like Vermintide except there's terrain deformation and neat traversal stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will echo that the game should really only be played coop. It has a proper functional solo mode but I found it very boring, it’s an ideal gently caress around with friends experience more than anything else.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I enjoy messing around solo but the game is best enjoyed cooperatively. Fortunately the pubbies in this game are usually pretty decent.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The replies above me already hit most of the big points but it's like minecraft in that you mine stuff, but the similarities kind of end there. It's a class based co-op shooter that feels very Left 4 Dead-ish in that you're making your way around the caves and fighting off waves of enemies while trying to complete your objective. Each class has different traversal options available that mesh together really well allow you to easily get pretty much anywhere when you have a full group and everyone's working together. My main class is the Driller which as mentioned before has big drill arms that let you just dig a hole through the terrain to wherever you want which is real satisfying when the time comes for you to leave and I can just dig a hole straight to the extraction point rather than backtrack through the level. There's unlockable perks, weapon upgrades and modifications, tons of cosmetic stuff to unlock, and it's just overall a really well made game. Lots of little details like some funny interactions between the characters and great monster designs.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've got a bunch of card crap in my inventory and some TF2 stuff that I'm never going to use again. What is the best way to cash out my crap? Turn things into gems or play the market or what?

In terms of actual video game recommendation content, if anyone is looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics like game, I'm going to have to highly recommend Fell Seal Arbiter's Mark.

It scratches that turn-based-tactics itch, and there are a bunch of classes to unlock/swap between.

It is also 66% off. https://store.steampowered.com/app/699170/Fell_Seal_Arbiters_Mark/

The characters, writing and story are all above average. The music, while nice, does get very repetitive after a while. I'd recommend listening to a podcast in the background.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The class design in Deep Rock is really on point. Every class has a major role that is never 100% required, and yet when you don't have that class you feel it. My main gaming group is me and two other buddies, and virtually every mission we have a moment where we say "man I wish we had a <missing class> around for this part."

The difficulty design is great too. You can pick a hazard level from 1 to 5 for any mission, and while you get bonus XP and money from higher difficulties, the bonus isn't huge and you can still progress just fine playing on 2 or 3. The game is as chill (or unchill) as you make it and it's perfect for just loving around with a couple friends for a few hours.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rabi-Ribi: can someone run down the DLC for me? It looks like it adds extra levels - how tough is it?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Pretty tough but not that bad. Make sure you get the spike damage reducing powerup and you should make it through ok. Final boss of DLC isn't substantially harder than final boss of normal game.

That's just the DLC story content. I've heard the SP bosses are brutal but I haven't fought them.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, if i'm going to play a twitchy game where that matters though it's usually something 2d at least that should easily run at a stable 60.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
why
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE5A_se740I

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rabi-Ribi: can someone run down the DLC for me? It looks like it adds extra levels - how tough is it?

It's more difficult than the main game but still manageable. Definitely pick up everything that's free.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god no :gonk:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
But the terrain is not being destroyed, which is the only loving reason to play those games.

The only Worms I ever cared for was the first, before they adopted that hideous art style.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

C'mon yall how many basically identical Worms games have they made over the years? Team17 wants dollarydoos and it's the only recognizable ip they have.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 1, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

zedprime posted:

That's why I like 30 FPS as a thinking man's strategic frame rate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who anywhere cares about any Worms game but Armageddon

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Christ, I'll take Forts and it's messed up controls any day over this... How do they mess up the Holy Handgrenade Music...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why? Because Soldak 2.

I was worried it was turn based battle royale or something based on the name. Soldak battle royale worms is maybe the least disappointing a 2020 worms game could be.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

RBA Starblade posted:

Who anywhere cares about any Worms game but Armageddon
:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

a minute and a half of footage and not a single prod

shameful