Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

oliwan posted:

jesus christ

oliwan posted:

jesus christ

moan all you want about KS but anything is better than this sack of poo poo and his ilk. Edit: meaning Johnson, not oliwan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

was a reply to this journalist

https://twitter.com/LabConcerner/status/1277921762408366080

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
he really does love jaws

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

lmao, Boris is gonna privatize healthcare in the UK, and the English will cheer for it while dying of preventable causes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

*points at sky* lmao it's blue

*points at water* lmao it's wet

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

therattle posted:

moan all you want about KS

Cheers, i will

he's a oval office

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jose posted:

this article is a good read on why so many englanders vote tory despite not actually liking their policies

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/why-does-england-vote-tory/
a couple questions:
  • dont most uk voters have little idea of what policies the parties actually support
  • for those dimly aware, is enthusiasm for the labour party depressed because they pushed neoliberalism for so long

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like, dont a bunch of tory voters think the tories are strengthening the NHS as they are gutting it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

therattle posted:

moan all you want about KS but anything is better than this sack of poo poo and his ilk. Edit: meaning Johnson, not oliwan!

Starmer used a Hamilton reference to dismiss protests against police racism and brutality days after the Met took selfies alongside the corpse of a black Labour activist. Be careful what you wish for.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Saw this in the replies

https://twitter.com/ajbcollectables/status/1277665706402865153

I wonder if the papers really will bring that up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

a couple questions:
  • dont most uk voters have little idea of what policies the parties actually support
  • for those dimly aware, is enthusiasm for the labour party depressed because they pushed neoliberalism for so long

yes and yes

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

comedyblissoption posted:

a couple questions:
The don't even know which party is in power. They hear they have a Labour council, and think that means they're living under a Labour government.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's rather fascinating how uninformed the British electorate really is, and how some misty eyed nostalgia for reclaiming the greatness of a period that none of them have lived through (the war) informs their decisions. I suppose living in the past reminiscing about some great empire they were never a part of gives some comfort while waiting to die in a dimly lit hallway of a severely underfunded hospital in a town devastated by unemployment caused by the loss of manufacturing jobs that went overseas in the Thatcher era.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

bessantj posted:

Saw this in the replies

https://twitter.com/ajbcollectables/status/1277665706402865153

I wonder if the papers really will bring that up.

Pretty weird that Brits consider freedom fighters and pedophiles equally respectable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

love to get completely owned by the tory MP with the most ironic name in parliamentary history

https://twitter.com/JamesCleverly/status/1278067127921119234?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/LatelyJohnny/status/1277907160522002434?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Grown Ups are in charge now offering Real Opposition

https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1278285324939079680

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I understand what Starmer is doing but I'm also baffled

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you do?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

spankmeister posted:

It's rather fascinating how uninformed the British electorate really is, and how some misty eyed nostalgia for reclaiming the greatness of a period that none of them have lived through (the war) informs their decisions. I suppose living in the past reminiscing about some great empire they were never a part of gives some comfort while waiting to die in a dimly lit hallway of a severely underfunded hospital in a town devastated by unemployment caused by the loss of manufacturing jobs that went overseas in the Thatcher era.

hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

therattle posted:

Serious question. As you can probably tell, I mostly read the Guardian, and generally agree with its positions. I won't read any other mainstream papers as they are too right-wing. (The Guardian is probably too right for most posters here). I am looking for writing on news and politics that is left of the Guardian, but not TOO far left, as that starts getting into a mindset that I can't relate to (as illustrated nicely by my interactions here). I look at The Canary every now and again, but it feels to me like the left equivalent of Breitbart, full of polemic and manufactured outrage. So what do you all read?

Dunno if you're already gone, and you'd probably disregard my opinion for my username anyway but the guardian is not a left or left of centre paper and hasn't been for a while. its pretty much the telegraph now. it used to be crap at domestic issues but good at foreign issues then the gov smashed up its computers over snowden and forced it onto the d-notice council so now its crap at foreign issues too.
it also used to pay lip service to left wing ideas until they became a possibility in 2015 and has been small c conservative since then

as for papers to the left of the guardian... there aren't any. for some reason there are no corporate magazines that are anti-corporation. this is a conversation i've had a dozen times too, "well there must be one?" why?
like you say, the canary is trash, novara is meh
you want basically something that is leftwing enough that no billionaire would bankroll it, but has the prestige and authority of a bankrolled newspaper. it isnt gonna happen. the guardian is as left as news is allowed to be and even that was too left and it had its wings clipped.

it depends what you actually want, if you want to know whats going on then go to the DnD UK thread and if anything happens people on twitter will tell you, same source as the papers but with time for critical thought before printing it. all our news is 5 interns copy-pasting the same AP story or carefully transcribing the lies of politicians verbatim and 150 wealthy oped writers churning out garbage
that thread will probably appear far too lefty for you though at the start. people itt are hostile cause as has been said these are all arguments that have been rehashed a thousand times. like the "why do you not critique saudi arabia" is literally an argument i remember having 10 years ago, its funnier now cause the left is really critical of MBS and the saudi relationship with the UK and is the only political side that is.
but your starting point is one that all of us recognise at least "hey i read the guardian so im a lefty, how can i read more?"

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Jul 1, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jose posted:

you do?

Everything he says is to appeal to 50-60 year old white people in the ex industrial north & midlands. Everything makes sense viewed through that lens.

Also his long term plan is to win the media over by convincing capital he'll be a better steward of the capitalist state than Johnson

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Especially with poo poo like Barnier saying financial passporting will end, before financial capital were stuck between Johnson's hard brexit and Corbyn. Now they have a nice safe option.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it does suck how hard it is to recommend any reading on any UK political topic. the state of political writing is so abysmal because the oped mill is so huge and so intellectually inbred, there's simultaneously too many books and not enough opinions. good books are obviously far superior to newspapers though

regardless of whether its left or right wing I've only read a total of maybe 4 good books about the UK that I would recommend but they're on random subjects and only one of them is current.

Natives by Akala is the current one, and is very good, but is specifically about growing up black in the UK and race in the UK
Flat Earth News by nick davies is excellent but quite old now, really goes into the death of british journalism
Hack Attack also by nick davies but specifically about the hacking scandal and now pretty our of date
The Establishment by Owen Jones, i'm not a huge Jones fan (i like him fine, but his writing is lukewarm) but iirc its a well written look at a very important subject. nothing spectacular but a good overview

its hard to recommend good writing personally cause a big part of my intellectual development was listening to earloads of audiobooks and lectures while working nightshift, but those were almost entirely american, chomsky, zinn etc natch, and i cant really think of any single one that changed my mind compared to all of them in aggregate. also a lecture series about english medieval communities where it became apparent to me they had superior housing programs and social welfare lol

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Jul 1, 2020

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

MikeCrotch posted:

Everything he says is to appeal to 50-60 year old white people in the ex industrial north & midlands. Everything makes sense viewed through that lens.

Also his long term plan is to win the media over by convincing capital he'll be a better steward of the capitalist state than Johnson

I hate to beat a dead horse but this is the only way to get elected. The young don't vote in sufficient numbers to out-vote the 55+. He needs to pander to olds and toady up to the media which basically means he just has to rephrase tory policies in a way that is more palatable to the part of the vote base that are not raving lunatics.

I hate it, and the fact that it is really the only way to win an election in this country highlights how utterly broken politics is.

The only way this will change is if he is just playing the part of the paid actor who will do a 180 once he is elected and implement electoral reform, reinstate public spending and re-nationalise the public services the tories have spent the last 30-40 years selling off.

I think I just saw a pig fly by my window...

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

MikeCrotch posted:

I understand what Starmer is doing but I'm also baffled

I'm sure there's a good strategic reason he's making GBS threads himself and smearing the poo poo on his own face

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's kinda cool that US and UK conservatives have finally settled on "We're just gonna let you die" as their definitive platform

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Dravs posted:

I hate to beat a dead horse but this is the only way to get elected. The young don't vote in sufficient numbers to out-vote the 55+. He needs to pander to olds and toady up to the media which basically means he just has to rephrase tory policies in a way that is more palatable to the part of the vote base that are not raving lunatics.
this is at least a bit of a chicken and egg thing surely, if you only have policies that appeal to old people then only old people will be keen on voting for you

like I was actively going round leafleting and knocking on doors for labour in December and if Keir doesn't stop being such a wet useless managerialist oval office I'd consider not voting next time, because gently caress him

also all the gammons hate him for being a communist race-traitor remainer who hi5ed Jimmy saville as he dropped the charges against him, so good luck winning them back by promising to look sad while you shaft the young, the environment and public services marginally less than Boris Johnson

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they need to start linking him to epstein through the trilateral commission

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

50-60-year-old people in the ex-industrial north and midlands, you say?

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1278313863654580225?s=21

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

XMNN posted:

good luck winning them back by promising to look sad while you shaft the young, the environment and public services marginally less than Boris Johnson

It's funny because i'm pretty sure this is their entire election strategy at the moment.

Did I say funny I meant hugely depressing.

And yeah, it is chicken and egg, there will never be policies for young people because young people do not vote, and young people do not vote because there are never any policies that appeal to them. Corbyn tried to give them a whole load of reasons to come out and vote but they didn't, which means he will likely be the last person in a long time to bother trying.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my UK friend stumbled on this and it just keeps going. you think it's done after the duck but then there's a huge plot twist

https://mobile.twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277505330885386240

its probably fake but its funny enough that i choose for it to be real

Robo Reagan has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Jul 1, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

Dunno if you're already gone, and you'd probably disregard my opinion for my username anyway but the guardian is not a left or left of centre paper and hasn't been for a while. its pretty much the telegraph now. it used to be crap at domestic issues but good at foreign issues then the gov smashed up its computers over snowden and forced it onto the d-notice council so now its crap at foreign issues too.
it also used to pay lip service to left wing ideas until they became a possibility in 2015 and has been small c conservative since then

as for papers to the left of the guardian... there aren't any. for some reason there are no corporate magazines that are anti-corporation. this is a conversation i've had a dozen times too, "well there must be one?" why?
like you say, the canary is trash, novara is meh
you want basically something that is leftwing enough that no billionaire would bankroll it, but has the prestige and authority of a bankrolled newspaper. it isnt gonna happen. the guardian is as left as news is allowed to be and even that was too left and it had its wings clipped.

it depends what you actually want, if you want to know whats going on then go to the DnD UK thread and if anything happens people on twitter will tell you, same source as the papers but with time for critical thought before printing it. all our news is 5 interns copy-pasting the same AP story or carefully transcribing the lies of politicians verbatim and 150 wealthy oped writers churning out garbage
that thread will probably appear far too lefty for you though at the start. people itt are hostile cause as has been said these are all arguments that have been rehashed a thousand times. like the "why do you not critique saudi arabia" is literally an argument i remember having 10 years ago, its funnier now cause the left is really critical of MBS and the saudi relationship with the UK and is the only political side that is.
but your starting point is one that all of us recognise at least "hey i read the guardian so im a lefty, how can i read more?"

Thanks for taking the time to write this. I am sticking around, because I can learn something (but I am reading more and arguing less). Jose pointed me in the direction of Open Democracy, which seems pretty excellent. I will check out the DnD thread when I have time.

(I occasionally see Telegraph articles (without bringing myself to actually finish them), and while I can imagine you don't think there is much difference between it and the Guardian, hoo boy... the poo poo it peddles is quite something)

My only thought about Starmer making statements about nukes, the armed forces, etc is that he saw what the press threw at Corbyn and of that what stuck with the public, and is pre-emptively insulating himself against those attacks. Whether he actually believes what he says remains to be seen. I still think he is preferable to Johnson et al.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

therattle posted:

My only thought about Starmer making statements about nukes, the armed forces, etc is that he saw what the press threw at Corbyn and of that what stuck with the public, and is pre-emptively insulating himself against those attacks. Whether he actually believes what he says remains to be seen. I still think he is preferable to Johnson et al.

this is a fairly reasonable take on the surface, but then in 2017 corbyn pulled off an utterly absurd revival of the labour party in large part because his public appeal was "this bloke might be boring and old but he's actually honest"

Kier's turbofucked because we're already seeing (in here as well as across britain) that there is a huge whiplash when you return to the same old poo poo, and it's not like the tory vote is going to forget he's the leader of the horrible lying antisemite party who secretly want to turn your hard-earned homes (plural) into marxist favellas for violent anti-white racists. I put starmer at #2 and during the EU negotiations I even talked here about having him as leader before the thread would happily relitigate his entire career of being a shite. So far he's told Minneapolis activists they're doing BLM wrong, argued Kashmir is an argument for the Indian courts, spent more time and energy going after the leakers of a huge scandal than those actually involved, failed to denounce those shitheads, and used the BoD pledges to kick out a leftist for liking unions too much. This week he's apparently gunning to ensure unions and members don't have any say in the parties future.

He might be preferable to Johnson but if that's the best anyone can say about him, I'm not knocking on doors next election. At least I could explain and understand why the brexit bullshit happened, and I could point to good things the party wanted. I genuinely can't do that with Starmer, we clearly share no values whatsoever.

Frankly what the party needs is a green Scargill who supports nuking Australia to save the climate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jose posted:

The Grown Ups are in charge now offering Real Opposition

https://twitter.com/easypoliticsUK/status/1278285324939079680

lol at starmer voters, i think they all hosed off from the forums or moved to gbs uk

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
The problem with saying Starmer would be better that Johnson is he has given literally no reason why. Like he has not laid out any of the things he would do in office, and has given lots of reasons why leftists should not have any faith in him

Also as we all know Labour going socially and economically conservative is the only path to victory, which is why Kinnock, Brown and Miliband all won their elections

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1277505330885386240?s=19

This thread is hilarious. Just love to see it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MikeCrotch posted:

The problem with saying Starmer would be better that Johnson is he has given literally no reason why. Like he has not laid out any of the things he would do in office, and has given lots of reasons why leftists should not have any faith in him

Also as we all know Labour going socially and economically conservative is the only path to victory, which is why Kinnock, Brown and Miliband all won their elections

I just did a quick search for “Starmer policies” and got this:

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/

It remains to be seen whether these pledges were just positioning to win the leadership, or what he’s saying now is to reposition the party with voters who left. Who/what he really is will only be clear if he wins an election, I suppose. One can hope (perhaps naively).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He certainly looks like a typical neoliberal imperialist. That smug face doesn't inspire solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm looking forward to the link to buy his book or subscribe to his blog or whatever when it's revealed to be a creative writing exercise