Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

This is my thought, if it jumps (and the jumper is attached to the frame as per recommend technique), but doesn't start with a new battery, the frame to earth is probably the culprit (unless you got super unlucky and the new battery is also pants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

So as a follow-up to my dumbass exhaust install attempt, a professional was able to fix the block studs and replace the gaskets in under an hour heh. $90 not as bad as I thought I was going to have to pay for my fuckup. Anyway now it looks (and sounds I suppose) much better.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

TheBacon posted:

So as a follow-up to my dumbass exhaust install attempt, a professional was able to fix the block studs and replace the gaskets in under an hour heh. $90 not as bad as I thought I was going to have to pay for my fuckup. Anyway now it looks (and sounds I suppose) much better.

That's a good-looking bike.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

anyone here familiar with how insurance works? I sold my 99 Honda shadow several months ago and forgot to drop insurance on it, so when I went to remove it, progressive is telling me my insurance will go UP?

is this normal? The best I can guess is that they figure I'll be riding the more expensive bike more, instead of splitting my time with the worthless one? Is it illegal to keep insurance on a bike I don't own any more as long as I don't make a claim? lol

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Multiple vehicle discount maybe?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

anyone here familiar with how insurance works? I sold my 99 Honda shadow several months ago and forgot to drop insurance on it, so when I went to remove it, progressive is telling me my insurance will go UP?

is this normal? The best I can guess is that they figure I'll be riding the more expensive bike more, instead of splitting my time with the worthless one? Is it illegal to keep insurance on a bike I don't own any more as long as I don't make a claim? lol

I also have progressive and have kept multiple old bikes on my insurance for this very reason, my bike that I got hit on an totaled in December 2017 I still insure as well as an old Honda that hasn't run in 5 years heh. When I asked an agent about it they didn't seem to care, I just have them set for the minimum millage and the multi vehicle discount makes it cheaper to keep them on than take them off. As for illegal, I can't really answer that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phew, I can only dream of insurance rates that cheap.

Can’t tell whether it’s because I’m a new rider, in Ontario, or (more likely) both. I definitely pay slightly more than that (in CDN, I mean) for just my Ninja 650.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it's cause Ontario. When I got my CL350, at age 25 with only a few months of motorcycle experience but a clean driving record going back to age 16, there was only one insurance company that would cover it (Allstate, iirc) and they charged 1800 dollars a year. For a 350cc bike that was so old they wouldn't even consider covering the vehicle itself, only liability.

Canadian insurance is bullshit

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

Can’t tell whether it’s because I’m a new rider, in Ontario, or (more likely) both. I definitely pay slightly more than that (in CDN, I mean) for just my Ninja 650.

Canadian insurance is crazy expensive, I had an old guildmate about my age and we compared both of us on Ninja 650s and it was wild.

When I had so many accidents that minimum car insurance would have been around $1k/month in California, minimum motorcycle on my Ninja 650 was like $250 for the YEAR. I imagine min in Canada must mean you have to have some amount of medical or underinsured or something, because in most states all that is required is liability, which, you aren't gonna cause too much damage to other people or their stuff if you gently caress up on your bike.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

As for illegal, I can't really answer that.

It’s probably fraud. You’re talking a little over $5/month difference. I don’t think that’s worth it, but I’m fairly risk-averse and possibly paranoid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's probably fraudulent to take out an insurance policy on a vehicle you don't own (without telling the company), yeah. But I wonder if you could pick up a $100 parts bike and register it PNO and add it to the insurance for the discount. Might work out in your favor?

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

So if I go through progressive's online quotes and enter all of my information the exact same way and select the exact same coverages, now it's telling me $589 a year for just the CB1000R. So I call the 24/7 progressive number to make sure I'm not being stupid and forgetting something and I'm told I can pay for 12 months today, cancel my current policy and get refunded for the next month (because my current policy expires on august 6th). Changing the effective date on my new policy from august 6th to july 2nd brought it from $589 to $578, and they gave me a $90 refund from cancelling my current policy a month early.

I don't think I will ever understand insurance but I'm probably going to get a new quote every year instead of just renewing my policy from now on.

Martytoof posted:

I'm 27 years old, 1 year riding experience, never had an accident or a ticket, in Delaware. The lady on the phone said my credit score going up over the past year helped my insurance rates a little bit but I'm not sure what changed to save me over $500. She said something about computer algorithms and not understanding it either.

JQADDINGMACHINE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 3, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FWIW the old Honda technically sits in my garage PNO and I just never had the Ninja removed, I had asked about it initially when I was updating from the Honda to the Ninja.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Can’t tell whether it’s because I’m a new rider, in Ontario, or (more likely) both

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it's cause Ontario.
Canadian insurance is bullshit

TheBacon posted:

Canadian insurance is crazy expensive, I had an old guildmate about my age and we compared both of us on Ninja 650s and it was wild.

Ontario rider. Can confirm :(

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

So if I go through progressive's online quotes and enter all of my information the exact same way and select the exact same coverages, now it's telling me $589 a year for just the CB1000R. So I call the 24/7 progressive number to make sure I'm not being retarded and forgetting something and I'm told I can pay for 12 months today, cancel my current policy and get refunded for the next month (because my current policy expires on august 6th). Changing the effective date on my new policy from august 6th to july 2nd brought it from $589 to $578, and they gave me a $90 refund from cancelling my current policy a month early.

I don't think I will ever understand insurance but I'm probably going to get a new quote every year instead of just renewing my policy from now on.

I'm 27 years old, 1 year riding experience, never had an accident or a ticket, in Delaware. The lady on the phone said my credit score going up over the past year helped my insurance rates a little bit but I'm not sure what changed to save me over $500. She said something about computer algorithms and not understanding it either.

It’s (at least partially) insurance company risk allocation. They want to buy more or less of your particular series of risk buckets and that changes each year based on factors that are unrelated to you.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

We had a goon in here a couple years ago who worked for an insurance company and he did some really good posts explaining poo poo like this.

Anyhow lol at that CBR coverage price. Yowza.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Insurance is cheap in america because we're much more likely to die of easily preventable diseases first

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

So I call the 24/7 progressive number to make sure I'm not being [snip]

Heads up that we're not doing that word in AI and CA any more, unless we're talking about engine timing.

But Jesus, Ontario's insane. I was emailing around for new quotes on my Rex when I saw it was going to be $460 this year in AB. I had a lower number in my head that I thought it was supposed to be, but that was actually for my old Weestrom and the 460 was very close to what I'd been quoted when I bought the Rex.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo I just remembered I only have one day left to add my inherited bike to my insurance. For people not in Ontario, or more specifically in California, do you think adding a 1999 GSX-R750 that I can't even ride due to maintenance issues should add a lot to my monthly insurance? I currently have two cars, a bike, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with Allstate, but I feel like if they want to charge me even $50/month for the gixxer I'd look at other options. I should just give the insurance agent a call tomorrow and see, but as I've only ever had one bike I'm kind of hoping having multiple (maybe 3 or 4?) bikes in the future isn't 3-4x the cost of insuring one bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you register it as PNO, meaning you can't ride it, it shouldn't cost you much. But you also can't ride it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I forgot to add that I'm hoping to ride it within a month or so, but I don't even know if I'll bother to put the license plate back on. I'm pretty sure I can talk my way out of that ticket.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What is PNO?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Planned Non-Operational. It's a stupid thing you have to do in California (maybe some other states too) if you plan to store the bike where you pay 15 dollars a year to affirm to the DMV that you really aren't riding it. You cannot have an unregistered vehicle in California; if you just let the registration lapse, you will have to pay for the back fees plus penalties next time you register it, because the state believes that you were probably riding it anyway during the time you weren't paying.

Also, the state doesn't care who owes the fees; the person who wants to register the vehicle has to pay them. This can really bite people in the rear end when they get a great deal on a barn find and then discover that they owe ten years of unpaid back fees because the previous owner didn't bother to put it on PNO status.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

get a new quote every year

This is an unfortunate fact of life, I've had the same insurance company here in the UK for years, and every year they add 25% automagically. If I get a new quote it goes down, to the point where my fjr costs $80 a year comprehensive.

it's like that intentionally to get money out of inattentive/old people

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last time I got insurance my renewal quote was £500 but the same company was offering £350 if I bought new through a comparison site. Completely ridiculous.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

poo poo I just remembered I only have one day left to add my inherited bike to my insurance. For people not in Ontario, or more specifically in California, do you think adding a 1999 GSX-R750 that I can't even ride due to maintenance issues should add a lot to my monthly insurance? I currently have two cars, a bike, renter's insurance, and an umbrella policy with Allstate, but I feel like if they want to charge me even $50/month for the gixxer I'd look at other options. I should just give the insurance agent a call tomorrow and see, but as I've only ever had one bike I'm kind of hoping having multiple (maybe 3 or 4?) bikes in the future isn't 3-4x the cost of insuring one bike.

CA checking in if you are going to add it for like 500 miles or whatever min I doubt it raises your insurance much if at all if you are just doing liability, but full coverage at a decent deductible will cost something, still can’t imagine too much with your current set of vehicles on the policy. But really you should call. Anecdotal experience for me in CA with progressive has been adding bikes has only lowered my rates!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I've seen some ads in California that seem to claim the CA DMV back fees are waived when you transfer ownership on motorcycles, but I don't get my legal advice from used motorcycle ads so idk if that's actually true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The official DMV policy is that no, the fees are not waived after a transfer and whoever wants to register the vehicle has to pay them. Otherwise you'd just get people skipping out on late penalties by selling the car for a dollar to their brother-in-law or whatever.

It's possible that an individual DMV clerk might waive them on a case-by-case basis, sure.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 2, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Planned Non-Operational. It's a stupid thing you have to do in California (maybe some other states too) if you plan to store the bike where you pay 15 dollars a year to affirm to the DMV that you really aren't riding it. You cannot have an unregistered vehicle in California; if you just let the registration lapse, you will have to pay for the back fees plus penalties next time you register it, because the state believes that you were probably riding it anyway during the time you weren't paying.

I already knew about this, but every time I read about I have stop and wonder how such stupid bullshit can even be legal? I can't come up with any other scenario where it's ok to presume people are guilty.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I can't come up with any other scenario where it's ok to presume people are guilty.

You're neither innocent or guilty, it's not a criminal matter of guilt, you just owe the fee/fine.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I already knew about this, but every time I read about I have stop and wonder how such stupid bullshit can even be legal? I can't come up with any other scenario where it's ok to presume people are guilty.

california is a poo poo hole

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

right arm posted:

At least you can lane split in this poo poo hole!

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Phy posted:

Heads up that we're not doing that word in AI and CA any more, unless we're talking about engine timing.

my bad. I edited the post.

TheBacon posted:

At least you can lane split in this poo poo hole!

I sit in traffic so often staring at the clear space between 10 cars at a red light and want to filter up but it's not worth risking a ticket to me lol

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The multi-bike discount is legit, if I dropped collision and upped my deductible on the gixxer from $500 to $1000, I actually save $10/year on my overall policy. I went with a slight increase to have collision and comprehensive, but not a bad deal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

right arm posted:

Yeah such a poo poo hole, with its year-round riding, winding mountain and coastal roads, legal filtering... But hey, there's an outside chance you get dinged with some extra registration fees. Such a poo poo hole. Why would anyone want to live there.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you can ride year round anywhere if you're not a soft californian :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I've gotten so used to splitting that I really have to watch myself when I go to other states. The Nevada highway patrol likes to sit just over the state line at Lake Tahoe and catch California drivers doing anything at all and lane-splitting in a place that doesn't recognize it is definitely one of those "you're a menace on the road, boy" kind of things

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As someone who bicycle commuted for a decade in Chicago, lane splitting brings up a lot of horrific flashbacks of getting doored. It's engrained in my brain to stay three feet or more from static cars for that reason.

A lot of people don't even know the laws regarding the legality of lane splitting in their states and get really pissed when they see people doing it. I've seen guys in big gently caress off pickup trucks pull over to block people coming up behind them. I definitely understand filtering up towards the front at a red light to avoid getting rear ended but going through narrow cars at anything more than a crawling pace makes me pucker. Not necessarily against it or for it, but it scares the piss out of me.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I spent a few months commuting 55 miles across the entirety of Los Angeles north/south, and I spent many years bicycling around Boston. Lane splitting is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

There’s unfortunately no real safe/controlled environment to practice splitting. You just have to do it. If you have experience with it on a bicycle that helps. I don’t commute so I’m seldom in traffic, and I am personally uncomfortable splitting beyond ~40mph (with keeping a ~10mph speed differential). A lot of times in SF I don’t even split at all because the lanes are too narrow. It’s definitely a skill you have to practice though. It’s much better on the freeway, where you often have 6-8’ between cars.