Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

How capable is impale of clearing 110s "comfortably"? Say, 6-7 minute runs?

With augments and paragon maybeeeeeee? Barb and monk can both do it faster and easier if you're only going to play solo. Impale isn't as great at trash clearing, so you're losing a lot of progress unless you team up with someone else. It can be RGK in speeds up to 130ish for group stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

you would've thought that's a good way to get people to try the new sets :v:

Are DH Impale sets quick at farming stuff up? I remember starting a season with DH Multishot and I could just farm whatever I felt like

Impale is a very easy build to get up and running because you always have a 1/2 chance of crafting a Karlei's in the cube and even the 2pc set bonus is incredibly powerful for clearing the season journey.

It's also just an incredibly versatile build for every aspect of the game. Bounties, speed runs, solo or group GR. The Shadow knows (a little bit of everything)!!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks - I guess DH's new set is most similar to wwbarb?

Is it also best at clearing solo GRs or would another set fill that role?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Bleh. I always forget about the stupid Set Dungeon part of the Journy. One more reason to make a Barbarian, then. I can Whirlrend my way through the Cursed Chest, and I can IK my way through the Set Dungeon.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd love it if they'd remove Set Dungeons, or at the very least, remove them from the Season Journey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Every class has at least one piss easy set dungeon. If I know which one it is I'll collect an alternate set just so that I can knock that out at some point.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I understand what many of the words in this thread are, but lack a cohesive grasp of what they collectively mean.

Planning to play DH in the next season. What's a good build for soloing my way through rifts? I have no idea what equipment I should prioritize when the season gets going.

Same question for Barbarian, since I'll need something to play with the RL friends who have less covid time off than I do.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pixelante posted:

I understand what many of the words in this thread are, but lack a cohesive grasp of what they collectively mean.

Planning to play DH in the next season. What's a good build for soloing my way through rifts? I have no idea what equipment I should prioritize when the season gets going.

Same question for Barbarian, since I'll need something to play with the RL friends who have less covid time off than I do.

Demon Hunter is pretty much the best start this season, because Imaple is a stupid easy build to put together. For Barbarian, you'll either want to farm up Wrath Of The Wastes set for the Whirlrend build, or Horde Of The Ninety Savages set for the Frenzy build, depending on if you want 100% mindless (Whirlrend), or 90% Mindless (Frenzy).

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
DH next season- Unhallowed Essence Multishot, Shadow Impale, GoD Hungering Arrow all are good options for solo t16/GRs. Barb is all Wastes Rend/WW variations for soloing. Sorry about the WW guide being fairly old but none of the relevant gear or skills were changed between s19 and s21, and s20 WW had different gear requirements/options with 2-3 rings in the cube and Focus/Restraint equipped.

The frenzy set is very good and can push pretty high on solo GRs but it comes up short of WW for both speed farming and pushing.

KenBearlLOLOL fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diablo 4 Quarterly Update

There‘a some cool new information here. I’m not quite sold on what they’re doing with the overworld / open hub / mmo lite thing they’re aiming for but as long as dungeons or rift equivalents remain random and endless I’ll be fine.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 25, 2020

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m not quite sold on what they’re doing with the overworld / open hub / mmo lite thing they’re aiming for
I'm still incredibly skeptical of this direction, too. Like, their description of the solo world boss experience as "solo players can walk in, help complete the event, and claim a reward" sounds pretty unlike Diablo to me. Really, "world bosses" as a concept aren't an ARPG thing, are they?

And that activity heatmap they show gives me the feeling of vast swathes of empty space for the sake of space. Similar with the idea of a mount - you shouldn't really need an overland movespeed thing in an ARPG imo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm more worried about itemization and the talent trees. But yeah that's also questionable.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Pixelante posted:

The free seasonal set for DH is very good for soloing, and easy to play. It's also the easiest to gear for. When you upgrade a yellow 70 dagger in the cube, DH has a chance of only making 2 daggers. Lord Greenstones Fan or Karlei's Point. Karlei's buffs Impale damage massively, which is the skill your season set uses as a damage dealer. After that you'll want to gamble and spend blood shard until you get the Demon Hunter quiver that compliments the set; Holy Point Shot. There are rings/amulets and bracers needed also, but they are nowhere near as crucial as those two items to making the set "work." In comparison, other classes have to farm / gamble for one specific item before their set feels complete or at full power. Necromancer, for example, are all reliant on a single ring which is a pain to farm/gamble/upgrade for.

The free set is obtained through the seasonal journey. And if any of that sounded like gibberish, here is a really good guide on the season journey, leveling, and gearing. Though a bit longwinded. Watch at 1.5x speed or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFLAIecF_sE

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I'm really curious how they're going to make PvP work. A free for all zone where you get one shot sounds particularly awful. If they add modes like CTF it sounds thematically ... goofy, consider the return to grimdark mood and atmosphere. Ultimately I don't care as long as it's fun.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

paid money to post posted:

I'm really curious how they're going to make PvP work. A free for all zone where you get one shot sounds particularly awful. If they add modes like CTF it sounds thematically ... goofy, consider the return to grimdark mood and atmosphere. Ultimately I don't care as long as it's fun.

My guess is a free for all zone where player vs player damage is reduced by x% to prevent one shots. I doubt there will be any sort of organized pvp content, but if there is it'll be instanced match making I would think.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bio347 posted:

I'm still incredibly skeptical of this direction, too. Like, their description of the solo world boss experience as "solo players can walk in, help complete the event, and claim a reward" sounds pretty unlike Diablo to me. Really, "world bosses" as a concept aren't an ARPG thing, are they?

And that activity heatmap they show gives me the feeling of vast swathes of empty space for the sake of space. Similar with the idea of a mount - you shouldn't really need an overland movespeed thing in an ARPG imo.

What if, and I’m just spitballing here, change is good?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
They're obviously and somewhat openly cribbing elements of MMO design. Reading between the lines, I'm gonna speculate that it's heavily influenced by the experiences of low-ish population WoW vanilla servers, which would be quite fitting given Classic's timeline that it would color the dev teams' visions. But there is enormous room to implement those ideas poorly and only a very narrow range to do them well, so anxiety about them getting it wrong is certainly understandable. D3 at launch shows just how badly that can land but also shows that they have more of a willingness to dramatically change the game formula within the same title than any other comparable game I can think of.

I can see how they probably want the "open world bosses" to play out. There's a possibility to wander into someone else using a skill/build you don't recognize or an item that looks really cool or a tactic you didn't know about that ignites more interest in the game. Or even just the random act of kindness of giving/receiving help to knock over a tough enemy and then part ways to probably never see each other again but that tiny itch in the back of your brain keeps hoping for an opportunity to return the favor. Could be really cool, but I have intense doubt that they'll get the recipe right before turning it out into the wild and scaling it up 10,000x, so hopefully they wire up telemetry and the ability to adjust it quickly at launch to tune it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Games like Division 2 have figured out the "instanced world with the opportunity to dynamically group up with people" thing for a long time, its presence here isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if you took arpg itemization and on the left you have d2 and on the right d3, it looks like d4 is actually going to be to the right of d3. Idk how to feel. I really dislike that all the uniques they're showing are just skill-change uniques and I really hope that that isn't how 90% of the unique items end up because it's way, way more fun and more interesting when you're trying to figure out what items might synergize with your build versus the game just telling you the single use-case for the item in the description text.

Depending on how it's implemented the open world could definitely be good or bad, though i feel like there's a real risk of breaking the core arpg flow of always being either fighting or about to fight.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 26, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look no matter what happens the fact is that Diablo 3 is one of the best and most fun video games of all time and it wasn’t even a good or even that fun when it came out.

I am not expecting Launch Diablo 4 to be a good video game, but I have every faith that it will eventually be a good video game that I hopefully put another couple thousand hours into.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
PSA to save challenge rift 158 that comes out 5 pm EST for Friday's S21 start. (Don't do it till then)

Below is the discord link, mostly used for PCs. Console channels will be created if there's enough interest.
https://discord.gg/YBk5dXX

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/diablo/status/1277648035921702915?s=21

lmao

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Free set of diablo 2 style wings if you log I today to celebrate d2 20th anniversary.

Not sure if it is only for today.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm wondering if this is just me or are others getting this too, every time I start the battle.net client there is a Diab3 Update "pending" they only take a few seconds to do, but it seems like a bug. Are others also getting this constant updating?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Im_Special posted:

So I'm wondering if this is just me or are others getting this too, every time I start the battle.net client there is a Diab3 Update "pending" they only take a few seconds to do, but it seems like a bug. Are others also getting this constant updating?

I'm not getting that. There was a patch for D3 and the BattleNet launcher when I ran it for the first time since mid-S20 on Saturday, and that's it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What's a good monk build for gr soloing and group play this season? Have a small squad but want to be able to do both.

This is my first proper diablo season so I'm interested to see how it goes without getting powerleveld to like level 200 the first time I played the game. I've been playing whirlwind barbarian which is just mindless fun so I'm interested in a bit of a change and 2 guys are already going DH

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Waroduce posted:

What's a good monk build for gr soloing and group play this season? Have a small squad but want to be able to do both.

This is my first proper diablo season so I'm interested to see how it goes without getting powerleveld to like level 200 the first time I played the game. I've been playing whirlwind barbarian which is just mindless fun so I'm interested in a bit of a change and 2 guys are already going DH

Tempest rush builds are super good. You can build it with sunwoku or PoJ set both. PoJ is easier to play since it has endless spirit regen but this season you get the sunwoku set free from hagrid gift.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Waroduce posted:

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Tempest rush builds are super good. You can build it with sunwoku or PoJ set both. PoJ is easier to play since it has endless spirit regen but this season you get the sunwoku set free from hagrid gift.
TR is the apex monk spec right now, though it's basically just a WW barb in disguise so if you're looking for a mechanical change it's not gonna provide it. On the other hand, a PoJ monk with a Vengeful Wind may be one of the few ways to keep up with the new DH set's ridiculous amounts of goesfast.

The Wave of Light builds still work fine, AFAIK, and may scratch the non-WW itch appropriately. The Haedrig set is Sunwuko, which lends itself to both specs, so you can play around a bit.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Just wanted to add that for group play monk is kind of relegated to a support role for g100+. And join the discord!

E:

GTJustin posted:

PSA to save challenge rift 158 that comes out 5 pm EST for Friday's S21 start. (Don't do it till then)

Below is the discord link, mostly used for PCs. Console channels will be created if there's enough interest.

GTJustin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 1, 2020

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I did join the discord but i'm a dirty console player because i am too old and lazy to manage drivers and bullshit. I am considering buying a mid tier "gaming" laptop or tower but :effort:

e: thank you guys for the direction!

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Filthy console players, PC casuals, and tryhards are all welcome on the discord. I just finished off the builds lists for each class on there, linking to video guides when available (and d3planners if not) for basically every potentially relevant build for t16 rifts/bounties, solo speed GRs, 4p speeds/xp farming, and 4p GR120-150 pushing. I also compiled videos on fast leveling and linked a video and d3planners for going from fresh 70 through farming with the Haedrig's Gift sets this season.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

GTJustin posted:

Is it just me or is it still currently showing the Challenge Rift from last week? The horrible one with the barbarian?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought there would be an updated one already; I think I used to practice (but not complete it) before the season officially started...

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

wonderboy posted:

Is it just me or is it still currently showing the Challenge Rift from last week? The horrible one with the barbarian?
Maybe I'm crazy, but I thought there would be an updated one already; I think I used to practice (but not complete it) before the season officially started...

Yeah it's bugged. It's supposed to reset on Mondays, however this week it reset for like 2 minutes then reverted back to the barbarian one. This week was supposed to be wizard and it was super easy, I watched a streamer do it on an alt account to see what it was like. I don't know if you did the challenge rift last week that will prevent you from getting it this week while it's bugged, I didn't do it last week and I don't know anyone willing to test lol. Hopefully it is reset and you just have to do the barb one again.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
They're all horrible. Set challenges are fuckin bad

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Filthy console players, PC casuals, and tryhards are all welcome on the discord. I just finished off the builds lists for each class on there, linking to video guides when available (and d3planners if not) for basically every potentially relevant build for t16 rifts/bounties, solo speed GRs, 4p speeds/xp farming, and 4p GR120-150 pushing. I also compiled videos on fast leveling and linked a video and d3planners for going from fresh 70 through farming with the Haedrig's Gift sets this season.

What about people who despise Discord, but know that it's the way of the future, and the future is now old man, so they eventually need to just get over it? :ohdear:

Field Mousepad posted:

They're all horrible. Set challenges are fuckin bad

No, you're thinking of Set Dungeons. These are the Weekly Challenge Rifts, where you play someone else's build, and only ~98% of them are horrible.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Looks like they finally rolled over to the wizard challenge rift. Super easy this week, pylons in good places lot's of mobs and everything just dies to disintegrate.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dysgenesis posted:

Free set of diablo 2 style wings if you log I today to celebrate d2 20th anniversary.

Not sure if it is only for today.

Just got them a minute ago so that's still going.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?

Will Styles posted:

Looks like they finally rolled over to the wizard challenge rift. Super easy this week, pylons in good places lot's of mobs and everything just dies to disintegrate.

It's still a little goofy for me (and others, I think) --- in the lobby it still shows the barbarian; earlier today it said the weekly chest had "expired" for me, but now it's saying it's good for another ~3.5 days.
When actually starting the challenge mode, it does start me as the wizard. Hopefully the reward isn't screwy tomorrow.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Broke down and got D3 for Switch, it is a nifty little mobile game. What it lacks in mouse controls, it makes up for in being able to pause and sleep the console in the middle of combat and pick up anytime later without missing a beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Tubgoat posted:

Broke down and got D3 for Switch, it is a nifty little mobile game. What it lacks in mouse controls, it makes up for in being able to pause and sleep the console in the middle of combat and pick up anytime later without missing a beat.

Honestly, I think D3 controls way better with a
controller than it ever did with kB/mouse. After you get used to playing it with a controller I bet you’ll agree.