Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most anticipated new feature
Support for direct neural interface controls
Custom formable internet subculture system
Special mechanics for the Avocado Wars
Province destruction mechanics
View Results

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, despite what the devs said the latest patch is not save compatible, unless you want to accelerate the collapse of civilization by 50 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

I think I found a glitch. I was under the impression that direct confrontation between great powers was, by definition, Middle Climate Wars. I'm currently in 2020 and the usual Early climate wars have progressed relatively normally in countries that got hit hard by droughts and rising food prices and couldn't manage the instability. A direct resource fight should be limited to Middle or even Late Climate Wars, but that event hasn't fired yet. Anyway the glitch is that I have two great powers obviously fighting over water, but because it's still the Early Climate Wars neither of them wants to admit that's the CB, so the CB is just blank. As well, these two countries have multibillion dollar fighter jets but when they actually battle the units revert to basic melee units, specifically light infantry with sticks. This game is jank

I have no idea how this game works but this thread is hilarious

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

E Depois do Adeus posted:

I think I found a glitch. I was under the impression that direct confrontation between great powers was, by definition, Middle Climate Wars. I'm currently in 2020 and the usual Early climate wars have progressed relatively normally in countries that got hit hard by droughts and rising food prices and couldn't manage the instability. A direct resource fight should be limited to Middle or even Late Climate Wars, but that event hasn't fired yet. Anyway the glitch is that I have two great powers obviously fighting over water, but because it's still the Early Climate Wars neither of them wants to admit that's the CB, so the CB is just blank. As well, these two countries have multibillion dollar fighter jets but when they actually battle the units revert to basic melee units, specifically light infantry with sticks. This game is jank

I have no idea how this game works but this thread is hilarious

so this is probably related to a recent patch where the "street fight" mechanics got implemented for certain international conflicts. The main example in the dev diaries was some fights between the Neo-Ottomans and Kurds in Europe. It bugs out when both sides are great or secondary powers.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I tried playing Australia from a 2000s start date as a learning country but just don't. You'd think it would be like a more chill USA but you have zero Culture score which means you're forced to do whatever your liege (either China or USA) tells you, and you can never break out of that cycle because you switch leaders randomly so you never build popularity with your Pops.

Just play Canada instead.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Heh, cool I figured out a bug where my country's unemployment rate is at 50% but my economy is fine.

edit: oh what the gently caress

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Heh, cool I figured out a bug where my country's unemployment rate is at 50% but my economy is fine.

should have read the tooltips on hypernormalization

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I tried playing Australia from a 2000s start date as a learning country but just don't. You'd think it would be like a more chill USA but you have zero Culture score which means you're forced to do whatever your liege (either China or USA) tells you, and you can never break out of that cycle because you switch leaders randomly so you never build popularity with your Pops.

Just play Canada instead.

Instructions followed, somehow China or US nuked the planet game skipped 250 years and i got this selection screen.

Guessing these are post nuclear successor states? Is this some sort of hidden game mode?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

Instructions followed, somehow China or US nuked the planet game skipped 250 years and i got this selection screen.

Guessing these are post nuclear successor states? Is this some sort of hidden game mode?

Its a CKXXVIII import, RTFM

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I just click the "automate" box on the Central Bank screen and ignore it for most the game. It gets some weird results but is probably more historical. I'm more of a role-player than a min-max player though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I feel like this game has the same issue as Vicky 2 where you can have millions of rebels spawn covering your entire country but they're basically unarmed so if you bother to research any police militarization techs at all then you never have to give in to their demands.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Its a CKXXVIII import, RTFM

I don't even own that! Last CK I bought was CKXXIII. Though if this is trying to find any CK to import and is doing that, it explains why Windy's pegg is the only one with a loving portrait. It's like this is unfinished and hasn't had portraits done.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

vyelkin posted:

I feel like this game has the same issue as Vicky 2 where you can have millions of rebels spawn covering your entire country but they're basically unarmed so if you bother to research any police militarization techs at all then you never have to give in to their demands.

Ok but my country literally has more guns in it than people if the ledger is to be believed, how tf are all these simulons still unarmed?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok but my country literally has more guns in it than people if the ledger is to be believed, how tf are all these simulons still unarmed?

Sometimes this is a problem with the way they coded pop demand, for some reason certain types of pops will spend literally all their income on the guns trade good which means they buy all of it and nothing else. Then if that pop doesn't fire as part of the rebel stack, there are no guns leftover for the rebel pops. I think the latest version of PDM has a fix for it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crazycryodude posted:

you have the Uprisings DLC, which splits the hidden unrest meter into four hidden meters od different types: iirc nationalist, student, worker, and minority. each is fed and reduced by different things, and each with different effects on composition of rebel units, instead of everyone getting average militias for their country's stats. students and i think minorities are always unarmed at low-to-moderate levels. e: correction, they were for me because i didn't mess with gun control civics.

if you keep your nationalists happy enough, you should get choices that let you lower the spawn rate of other types.

e: ^^^^ clarifying, yeah, it's the nationalists that sometimes have ludicrous gun demand. it never bothered me that much, though i remember seeing it happen even when i was playing on the lowest difficulty and trying to just not go to war anyway. what tf are they afraid of? you can't shoot reduced grain yields, fellas.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Jul 3, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
records from that era are pretty spotty, but it's clear that paradox is cherry picking what they base the game on in order to make things more "interesting". specifically, they're pretty much using all the exaggerated half-lies written by the enemies of whatever historical figure/country/system/etc they're adding to the game. so everyone and everything from that era seem completely insane

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
I see they still didn't fix the map generator seeding ocean ice on worldgen

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Ok folks, I've done three complete playthroughs in vanilla (and even got the Waterworld cheevo) so I think I'm ready for mods. What's the thread recommendation for essential mods?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pacho posted:

Ok folks, I've done three complete playthroughs in vanilla (and even got the Waterworld cheevo) so I think I'm ready for mods. What's the thread recommendation for essential mods?

The "Red is Green" mod is the big alt-history one and is based around the Soviet Union having an environmentalist revolution in the 1980s instead of just collapsing. The US becomes an outright fascist dictatorship earlier, and the big struggle is to beat the capitalist countries before the irreversible climate collapse starts. It's definitely an indulgent alternate history, but most countries have fleshed out missions and there is some fun stuff. Venezuela has an OP mission chain "The New Bolivar" that let's them take over Latin America. The big focus is on conventional combat and climate geo-engineering.

"Century of Humiliation" is the other notable alt-history one. It's basis is that China was never really colonized, so the Qing Empire successfully modernizes and lasts for another century. The US in contrast breaks apart after it's first civil war, so North America gets dominated by outside powers. The 20th century sees the transfer of hegemony globally from Europe to China. When the game starts off it is the beginning of the end of the Qing Empire and the rise of whichever of the US successor states can win a battle royale in early scenario North America. So sort of a reversal of real life.

It's ambitious, but this one isn't as fleshed out for stuff outside of China. The North American states have a lot of flavor, but don't really make sense historically if the 1st US civil war is what breaks the country apart. Like, Jeb's Rangers have a big mission tree for Texas, but the mod makers didn't seem to realize his family was from New England and it was his brother who was governor of Texas. The good news is that the North America is getting revamped in an update soon. It's actually already out in Chinese, but I prefer the English localization so I've been waiting.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

personally i like "Zero to Hero", a mod that removes most of the top-tier historically relevant characters, leaving the d-list personalities to take on their roles and offices. just finished a run with obscure social media personality bill mitchell as president in the early 21st century and boy, that's a wild one. i ended up losing a civil war against chairman daou's faction because all of his propaganda was rigorously verified

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Jul 4, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
the "comet sighted!" event just fired in my game and i lost 1 stability

come on paradox, get some new material. this isn't the game about the middle ages. people from that era were past panicking for superstitious reasons and ignoring obvious scientific evidence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the "comet sighted!" event just fired in my game and i lost 1 stability

come on paradox, get some new material. this isn't the game about the middle ages. people from that era were past panicking for superstitious reasons and ignoring obvious scientific evidence

Thats actually a reference to the Zeta Reticulan abduction programs that used comets as cover during the late 20th and early 21st centuries after radar and telescopes/etc advanced enough that they were concerned about being detected. There were actually several cults that formed related to the comets and that program and theres even one or two other events that reference that. There were saucer cults well into the 21st century despite the program being cancelled much earlier.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
oh well i feel silly now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats actually a reference to the Zeta Reticulan abduction programs that used comets as cover during the late 20th and early 21st centuries after radar and telescopes/etc advanced enough that they were concerned about being detected. There were actually several cults that formed related to the comets and that program and theres even one or two other events that reference that. There were saucer cults well into the 21st century despite the program being cancelled much earlier.

this is just anti-Reticulan propaganda. No one has ever proved the comet program existed, the only testimony about it is from Reticulan defectors who get paid to say stuff like that. The Reticulans have been open about the history of the saucer program, why would they still cover up a comet program?

Anybody still pushing the comet story also thinks warfare with relativistic weapons is winnable.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can acknowledge bad things that happened in the past without advocating for war now. or do you think we should forget events like the guac bowl massacre just because some people still want to wipe the gulf empire off the map?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's well known that, during that time period, interstellar spaceships only transited through the Sol system to perform gravity assist maneuvers around its star.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Anybody still pushing the comet story also thinks warfare with relativistic weapons is winnable.

this is hysterics
the ancients used to say that about nuclear war too

relativistic warfare is winnable just not for the greybies

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

V is a documentary! Do not believe their lies! The ancients were right!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm here to serve Richard Lowtax with a summons for copyright infringement. Paradox Interactive DOES NOT have the rights to utilize the Warhammer IP and facilitating the spread of such lies is incredibly damaging. Games Workshop will see you in court, the security of the Imperium is at stake!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

this is hysterics
the ancients used to say that about nuclear war too

relativistic warfare is winnable just not for the greybies

I'm glad you caught a prob for this, "grey" could be acceptable in the historical context such as that of the games but theres no place for g word in modern society.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
aw gently caress what derail did i just start

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm glad you caught a prob for this, "grey" could be acceptable in the historical context such as that of the games but theres no place for g word in modern society.

the historical word is "gray" anyway, the etymology is totally different

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tunicate posted:

the historical word is "gray" anyway, the etymology is totally different

was this one of those brexit things? it seems rather implausible that english would have two words so similar but divergent in meaning before the great seawall went up

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jazerus posted:

was this one of those brexit things? it seems rather implausible that english would have two words so similar but divergent in meaning before the great seawall went up

Nah, just different roots that converged over time way before Brexit. Supposedly they sounded completely different at the time and nobody thought it was weird that they looked so similar.

Brexit related differences tend to be way more dramatic. For example, "hungry" in most English dialects is a fairly simple term, but in Brexit-affected regions they developed about a thousand different words for "hungry."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

fine mods, i'll be good.

but its not even a slur here in the north european irradiated zone :shrug:
i get Reticulan from a takeaway called Gr*ybie Palace like every other week!

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Jul 9, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah one of them comes from old english 'grig', meaning 'bitch', the use as a slur becomes obvious knowing that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

aw gently caress what derail did i just start

probably the closest to paradox official forum its gotten so far

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tulip posted:

Nah, just different roots that converged over time way before Brexit. Supposedly they sounded completely different at the time and nobody thought it was weird that they looked so similar.

Brexit related differences tend to be way more dramatic. For example, "hungry" in most English dialects is a fairly simple term, but in Brexit-affected regions they developed about a thousand different words for "hungry."

i always wondered why brits go on about being "peckish". well, on the rare occasions they're able to circumvent the firewall to post with the rest of the galaxy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You know it remains amusing to watch people forget over and over that this is crossing multiversal boundaries. The ultrapostpremodern hellworld is a wild one.

In my timeline the grays went extinct during this games time period, and the last one living became a revolutionary here on earth.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

StealthArcher posted:

You know it remains amusing to watch people forget over and over that this is crossing multiversal boundaries. The ultrapostpremodern hellworld is a wild one.

In my timeline the grays went extinct during this games time period, and the last one living became a revolutionary here on earth.

i know you mean well, but the reticulons get incredibly offended if you call them grays. It’s PC nonsense in my opinion, I’m calling an earth-moving sonar device an earth-moving sonar device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
My grands on one of my mothers are from Reticula and while over there is fine-ish because they see that as a weird funny word from earth (one of their biggest iced methane brands has an old-timey earth-inspired Grey as a mascot), over here I haven't met a single person using "Grey" that is not also a huge racist, specially because I barely look reticulan so people feel free to drop the mask around me. I know this forum is better than most so I think you can all do better