Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've never put oil in mine and I use instant. Getting the water content right and pressing such that it is an even tortilla are the things to master. Repition and repetition.

I use a zip lock bag ripped as my press plastic.

I made them for the first time last week. Instant masa I think, measured per the recipe used very hot water and the dough came together exactly how I felt it should first time. Pressed in a zip lock bag. Figured out if I put the ball in slightly closer to the hinge side than in the dead center I didn’t get the thinning on the edge closest to the handle. Tortillas were wonderful. Didn’t puff up like Bart said, just some largish bubbles here and there but the texture and flavor were awesome.

The big things I was worried about was being too thick, too sticky or falling apart and none of those happened so I count it as a success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

3 parts American cheese, 3 parts any other reasonably melty cheese(s), 2 parts milk. Slowly mix cheese into hot milk over low heat with an immersion blender. Start with all of the American first. Salt to taste.

Enjoy your delicious cheese sauce over mac, or anything else really.

Here is my recipe for pre-sliced American cheese.
1 Take cheese
2 Throw or give it away.
3 Buy proper cheese.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The big things I was worried about was being too thick, too sticky or falling apart and none of those happened so I count it as a success.

Thick, sticky and falling apart, you say? Sounds like... oh, never mind.

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 3, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

1 Take cheese
2 Throw or give it away.
3 Buy proper cheese.

Haha! Got 'em!

Anyway real deli American cheese is awesome but I am pretty sure it's not exported a lot so you probably never got to try it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Parchmenet paper works well too for the press, avail in pre-cut: Amazon link.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

therattle posted:

1 Take cheese
2 Throw or give it away.
3 Buy proper cheese.

He has it, it already exists, and can be made into something delicious. Why waste it?

What you’re saying is like “my project for the 10 sheets of spare plywood in my garage? Throw it in the trash and go buy some solid hardwood!”

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

American is still the best on burgers

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

While our evolved drive for efficiency, and spurning waste aided our survival to this point, and is still useful in some areas, it's maladaptive here.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

He has it, it already exists, and can be made into something delicious. Why waste it?

What you’re saying is like “my project for the 10 sheets of spare plywood in my garage? Throw it in the trash and go buy some solid hardwood!”

That’s why I added “give it away”!

I wasn’t being entirely serious, as I suspect you already know.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

bartolimu posted:

I have never found a griddle that was too hot for tortilla making. I set mine to its max of 450F (232C) and that's not hot enough. I have to use a cast iron pan on the hottest burner of my stove, it's 550F/290C or higher. poo poo needs to be NASA hot.
Oh my! This is a key insight. Got it up to 240-250C today, and the results are improved. It did the billow-up thing you describe.

I really would like a way to avoid the oil, but it's worth it to me for the structural integrity.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 3, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

High-five to tortilla crew, I made really bad ones (too dry I think) until I made a bunch of good ones for enchiladas a few weeks ago. Hydration is key. I just used Aldi brand masa harina, hot water (from my notes I used a 7:5 ratio by weight of water to masa harina) and kneaded the heck out of the dough. Then let it rest for half an hour and another shorter knead. It's much, much more like clay than bread dough, it won't stick to stuff and is actually quite easy to knead by hand. Kind of pleasant tbh. I also snuck in about 1% salt by weight. Not traditional and maybe moderately salty so use to taste.

For the puffing, it might just be down to timing. For me, I got the best results with a pretty short cook on the first side, and a longer second one. Then a flip to the original side and they puff up nicely. Like when I flipped the first time it was barely set on the first side, just barely brown in spots or not even brown yet.

I used a stainless skillet, which worked fine. It wasn't amazingly hot, like I'd guess it was maybe hotter than pancake temperature, like medium-high ish. The good browning came when it puffed, since then it has much less mass and you can get a nice brown on the puffed tortilla.

Of course cover them in a towel after cooking, gotta let them steam up a bit.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Eeyo posted:

For the puffing, it might just be down to timing.
It appears to be strongly linked to skillet temperature.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dominoes posted:

Oh my! This is a key insight. Got it up to 240-250C today, and the results are improved. It did the billow-up thing you describe.

I really would like a way to avoid the oil, but it's worth it to me for the structural integrity.

what temp water did you add? it makes a difference

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I don't have a precise answer, but it was as hot as my faucet would produce.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I like reading the tortilla talk here as it's something I really know gently caress all about. Masa harina isn't easy to get hold of over here in Sweden. How would polenta flour work? Is it unsuitable?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DekeThornton posted:

I like reading the tortilla talk here as it's something I really know gently caress all about. Masa harina isn't easy to get hold of over here in Sweden. How would polenta flour work? Is it unsuitable?

not nixtamalized iirc

all you need for nixtamalization is a strong cooking base(usu. slaked or pickling lime) and dent corn. this is, uh, not trivial

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, in that case I guess I will have to get proper masa. It is available, just not at my local store, so a minor but not insurmountable hassle.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's very hot out. I made ice pops. Just tossed a can of coconut milk, two frozen mangos, a blop of Greek yogurt, some lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in the blender, blitzed it up, and poured in molds. Mango Lassi ice pops, here we come.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's very hot out. I made ice pops. Just tossed a can of coconut milk, two frozen mangos, a blop of Greek yogurt, some lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in the blender, blitzed it up, and poured in molds. Mango Lassi ice pops, here we come.

Those sound delicious.

I’ve always loved the word nixtamalised.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

This seems like a good time to share some of my notes for making boozy otter pops or what have you.

5-10% ABV is the range for the ideal slushy texture.
I found 8.3% to be pretty easily attainable.
The recipes are very easily scaled because it’s all proportionate. Of course it’s easy to experiment and add whatever flavors you want, these are just guidelines. These yield 12oz of solution, so just tweak them to however much volume you want. For 12oz of total solution, 2.5oz of 80 proof will give you 8.3% abv.

Strawberry Margarita
2.5 oz tequila
1.5oz agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
1.5 oz lime juice
1.5 oz strawberry purée
5oz water

Orange Cream Rumsicle
2.5 oz rum
4oz OJ
1 oz heavy cream
1.5oz 1:1 simple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
3oz water

Irish Coffee
1.5oz Irish whiskey
1.5oz Irish cream liqueur
2.5 oz espresso/coffee
1.5oz 1:1 simple syrup
5oz water

I tried raspberry lemon drops, aperol spritzes, Moscow mules, daiquiris, gimlets, whiskey sours...all were fun and tasty. I actually had the plastic sleeves and made otter pops, but that was a pain in the rear end. Just throw it in a popsicle or ice cube mold or put it in the freezer and eat it with a spoon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Well, in that case I guess I will have to get proper masa. It is available, just not at my local store, so a minor but not insurmountable hassle.

Yeah unfortunately corn flour doesn't have the distinct taste of corn tortillas. I think the texture is changes as well, masa has a very nice plasticity to it, which I don't think regular corn flour would have (but I guess I've never tried so I could be wrong).

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, that is a slight shame, but I can find masa harina, even if it's at a bit of a premium, so it's not the end of the world.

On another note, we just started to get hard seltzer over here, and I really dont't se the point. If you want to get drunk without drinking something wiorthwhile, why just not add a splash of vodka to your flavoured mineral water?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anecdotally, I've found Maseca works better than Bob's Red Mill.

Any food chemists want to take a hack at additives to keep the corn torts together better without adding fat?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Consistency and laziness. I just finished churning butter for the 4th time (thanks CoD: buerre!) and it's like... you can have the literal best butter you've ever had for less money and 20 minutes of effort including cleanup, for much cheaper than the store. Maybe 30 minutes if you don't have a motorized way to churn.

Hard seltzer is more egregious, though maybe they add bitters etc. to balance more than just perrier + spirits.

I think the quality improvement to effort ratio has to be pretty high for people, and the risk of failure vs cost savings as well. Homemade hard seltzer is low on the quality improvement side, and doesn't seem expensive since you don't buy vodka or seltzer in the same quantities as a 6-pack, and beer is usually more expensive.

Home-baked bread is another thing - quality can be huge, but effort is high and risk of failure is high when you start.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Dominoes posted:

Anecdotally, I've found Maseca works better than Bob's Red Mill.

Any food chemists want to take a hack at additives to keep the corn torts together better without adding fat?

rest the dough, gently caress around w temp of water

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BrianBoitano posted:

Consistency and laziness. I just finished churning butter for the 4th time (thanks CoD: buerre!) and it's like... you can have the literal best butter you've ever had for less money and 20 minutes of effort including cleanup, for much cheaper than the store. Maybe 30 minutes if you don't have a motorized way to churn.

Hard seltzer is more egregious, though maybe they add bitters etc. to balance more than just perrier + spirits.

I think the quality improvement to effort ratio has to be pretty high for people, and the risk of failure vs cost savings as well. Homemade hard seltzer is low on the quality improvement side, and doesn't seem expensive since you don't buy vodka or seltzer in the same quantities as a 6-pack, and beer is usually more expensive.

Home-baked bread is another thing - quality can be huge, but effort is high and risk of failure is high when you start.

Sorry, I'm drunk enough that I couldn't find that thread with a search, could you link your butter churning process please? British supermarkets are rubbish about sticking buttermilk anyway, and I Iove butter.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

tarbrush posted:

Sorry, I'm drunk enough that I couldn't find that thread with a search, could you link your butter churning process please? British supermarkets are rubbish about sticking buttermilk anyway, and I Iove butter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916084

i hope this works as im on the mobile app. otherwise, it is on page 2 of gws

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
I love Key Lime Pie, it's been my absolute favorite since I was a little chubby Floridian kid. And I'm gonna make some again for my birthday coming up, but by far my least favorite part is trying to zest a tiny rear end key lime. Anyone have a better technique that's got less of a chance for me shredding my fingertips?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm not sure where I'm getting this "for cheaper than the store bit" - I guess if you've got like a *crazy* deal on cream.

HatchetDown posted:

I love Key Lime Pie, it's been my absolute favorite since I was a little chubby Floridian kid. And I'm gonna make some again for my birthday coming up, but by far my least favorite part is trying to zest a tiny rear end key lime. Anyone have a better technique that's got less of a chance for me shredding my fingertips?

What kind of zester do you use? I don't think doing it on a microplane-style is that hard. Failing that, you can peel the limes, scrape off the pith (or soak in a pectin-dissolving enzyme), and dice the peel. Or zest a traditionally large lime for that part of the recipe.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

tarbrush posted:

That's the one! I've stumbled to a method I prefer, though:
  • Room temperature culture for a day using a Tbsp of yogurt per quart of cream
  • Chill in fridge. Don't forget about it for 7 days :negative:
  • Churn until it comes together and starts splashing clear buttermilk about. I use a food processor on high, no need to stop & scrape down or anything.
  • SET UP YOUR SPACE. By far the most finicky part is doing all the things while your hands are covered in butter, so be ready first. You need a big bowl of ice water, 1.5 ft/50 cm wax or parchment paper, 2-3 big pinches of salt per quart of cream, a 2 cup tupperware per quart of cream (or another sheet of wax paper, your original one will get soggy), and a single paper towel.
  • Gather butter from mixer using your hands, form into hockey pucks and set in ice water to chill
  • One at a time, take pucks out and knead them over the ice water, squeezing out buttermilk. No real need to cheese cloth here. Fold it onto itself.
  • Once each small puck is good, combine them together and plop on the wax paper. Sprinkle salt, knead it all to incorporate, then spread it out thin.
  • Use the paper towel to get the last tiny bit of liquid off the top, and tilt the whole thing over the bath to drain off the water which has accumulated on the paper.
  • Store it, repeat every 2-3 weeks, and make your cardiologist weep

mediaphage posted:

I'm not sure where I'm getting this "for cheaper than the store bit" - I guess if you've got like a *crazy* deal on cream.

Yeah I wasn't specific enough. It comes out cheaper than fancy butter, like Kerrygold or Plugra, and much tastier.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is there any appreciable difference between the regular kind of Green Onion and the bulb kind, my mom needs some for some pasta salad she's making for tomorrow and the store is out of the former

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Maestro posted:

This seems like a good time to share some of my notes for making boozy otter pops or what have you.

5-10% ABV is the range for the ideal slushy texture.

The brix is also a good measure for whether the drink will freeze, between 13-15 is the sweet spot.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Mindphlux is welcome to post here, so long as he can fake sobriety and not be an enormous rear end in a top hat to people. It's a low bar to clear.

Hey, I only banned him twice. The other ~44 probes and multiple bans all came before my time.

mindphlux won a mod challenge to be allowed to shitpost in the shitposting thread and he was banned for shitposting in the shitposting thread

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

DekeThornton posted:

On another note, we just started to get hard seltzer over here, and I really dont't se the point. If you want to get drunk without drinking something wiorthwhile, why just not add a splash of vodka to your flavoured mineral water?

Convenience. If you're headed to the beach or a cookout or something why not pick up a cold six pack at the corner store instead of worrying about cups, ice, a mixer, and vodka that you'll have to schlep around town and probably have to make a few separate stops for. Same thing for a party, throw a couple in the cooler next to the beer for anyone who might want one instead of making people futz around with mixing up a drink.

I don't really drink them but find booze snobbery so insanely tiresome that I have to defend them.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
When mindphlux got banned for the Nth time nothing of value was lost. Dude never contributed, he was just a bitchy shitposter :shrug:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sweat poteto posted:

Also objectively the best squash. Except maaaybe delicata.

:hfive:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

drrockso20 posted:

Is there any appreciable difference between the regular kind of Green Onion and the bulb kind, my mom needs some for some pasta salad she's making for tomorrow and the store is out of the former
Yeah, green onions are much milder and sweeter than e.g. a yellow onion. I don't think either would be radically out of place in a pasta salad, but if you're expecting one and get the other you're going to get either more or less onion-y-ness.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SubG posted:

Yeah, green onions are much milder and sweeter than e.g. a yellow onion. I don't think either would be radically out of place in a pasta salad, but if you're expecting one and get the other you're going to get either more or less onion-y-ness.

I think they meant the green onions with a thicker white bottom, the internet says they're called Mexican green onions: https://www.colopac.com/product/mexican-green-onion/

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I want to make some baked chickpeas and I have dried chickpeas. They are soaking right now.
Should I bake them directly after soaking or should I cook them first?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VictualSquid posted:

I want to make some baked chickpeas and I have dried chickpeas. They are soaking right now.

I would have thought cook first.

I’ve made chickpeas from dry recently. Despite leaving them to steep in the cooking water, after freezing and thawing they are quite dry. Do I need to cook them for longer, or is that a problem with older chickpeas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

VictualSquid posted:

For the love of god, cook them.

@Rattle: You confused me there, buddy. You soaked the chickpeas, cooked them up, and then froze them?