Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallom posted:

lol at this guy begging me to be horrified at the south getting comeuppance

Most of the people who die aren't going to be the white racist assholes who downplay the pandemic and vote for Trump, it's going to be the black and latinx minorities that they oppress. Yes, you should 100% be horrified at what is essentially genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Lol good job LA County we did it!

This was the whole purpose of flattening the curve. Once the numbers reach a certain point, the system simply can't keep up without somehow adding a bunch of labor. My sister was complaining how her county always adds numbers to days they've already reported and accused them of manipulating the figures. I guess it's easier to think of that than the idea that maybe a public health team in a small county might be overwhelmed already.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the people who die aren't going to be the white racist assholes who downplay the pandemic and vote for Trump, it's going to be the black and latinx minorities that they oppress. Yes, you should 100% be horrified at what is essentially genocide.
:emptyquote:

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

bird with big dick posted:

What’s gangbangs? 8?

8 if you're a banger, 9 if you're the bangee

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Fallom posted:

lol at this guy begging me to be horrified at the south getting comeuppance

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Pretty sure the term “latinx” is colonial nonsense, but otherwise, this.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Cool, Cleveland just made masks mandatory in public. Gonna hit the store in a bit and will report back how many criminals I see while I'm out.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

we're currently in that part of groundhog day where Bill just gives up and starts finding more and more absurd ways to off himself

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kestral posted:

How are these for breathing while doing physical labor? They really do look like the only legitimate anti-smoke options around.

That's specifically what they are designed for. Workmen doing dirty physical labor like construction, demolition, mining, and so on.

I wore a similar style (cheap chinese knockoff) for helping my mom clean out her apartment when she was moving and it was okay. It definitely does get warm and humid when you huff and puff. On the plus side you don't sweat on the filter material like you do with the disposable ones that have the filter material in contact with your skin to get damp and greasy. Not heavy at all, no pressure sores. The seal stayed effective the whole time, no gaps like disposables, so I was able to spend the afternoon in dusty rooms without my activating my dust allergy.

Honestly it's more comfortable than even the cloth masks with the ear loops. But you look like a maniac if you wear it to the supermarket instead of a cloth mask soooo. :sigh:

They are also probably better for our ongoing supply problems. A flat filter disk is easier to manufacture than the formed medical N95s. Ramping up production should be easier. From what I remember these are like twice the price they were a year ago, while the disposable N95s and surgical masks are like 5-10 times what they normally cost, so they don't seem to be having nearly the supply problems of disposables.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Guy Axlerod posted:

So what would a 10 be?

Choir practice in a covid ward.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Thanks for the really helpful explanations, everyone!

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Michael Corleone posted:

Cool, Cleveland just made masks mandatory in public. Gonna hit the store in a bit and will report back how many criminals I see while I'm out.

Nice, absolutely nothing changed, not in the least bit!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

QuarkJets posted:

Nah you know that white people are the only ones dumb enough to do all the most dangerous activities like go to bars and concerts and poo poo. You can protect vulnerable minorities while still letting dumb whites kill themselves. That’s not mutually exclusive.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah you know that white people are the only ones dumb enough to do all the most dangerous activities like go to bars and concerts and poo poo. You can protect vulnerable minorities while still letting dumb whites kill themselves. That’s not mutually exclusive.

:ssh: Guess what groups of people are employed in direct service occupations at higher-than-average rates? :ssh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shaocaholica posted:

The people getting infected by the dumbasses going to bars are predominantly the people working at bars that lose their income, and thus likely their home, if they said "no" when their boss called them and asked them back to work.

Source: I'm one of those people but replace bar with gym.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Schadenboner posted:

:ssh: Guess what groups of people are employed in direct service occupations at higher-than-average rates? :ssh:

Still safer than not wearing a mask and hugging covid zombies. Are you saying minorities are restricted from wearing PPE? Forced to touch customers? Lots of prevtative measures available aside from a personal preference not to use them. Are they at a greater than zero risk, of course. Are dumb chuds at an even greater risk by actively going against known good practice, yes!

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

So... what’s gonna happen when the 600 $PUI (or whatever it is) for unemployment expires at the end of this month. Lots of people still can’t work.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

devilmonk posted:

So... what’s gonna happen when the 600 $PUI (or whatever it is) for unemployment expires at the end of this month. Lots of people still can’t work.

:sherman:

E: Seriously though it couldn't have been timed better, it being riot season (summer) already.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Still safer than not wearing a mask and hugging covid zombies. Are you saying minorities are restricted from wearing PPE? Forced to touch customers? Lots of prevtative measures available aside from a personal preference not to use them. Are they at a greater than zero risk, of course. Are dumb chuds at an even greater risk by actively going against known good practice, yes!

The idiots will go out for a haircut or restaurant meal, then go home their WFH jobs or retirement. The employees of the businesses they have pressured their state to open have to deal with person after person, all day. Service employees are among the highest risk groups for catching this disease.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shaocaholica posted:

At my workplace, yes they are. Because we're outside and half a second to take a mask off before jumping into a pool after someone is less dangerous than letting us wear ppe in a pandemic.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

from the last season of hbo's "plot against america"

but uh yeah, tell me again how the thing i do is safe, people who don't do my job :negative:

Did you work on this show? I enjoyed it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Called my dad to wish him a happy 4th, and he was on his street almost home. They came home from the Corona Convention on the Lake. According to him they didn't go to any wineries and stayed away from people, just hung out at the campground and got some french fries or something. Can boomers change? I like to think I did a small part, maybe telling him I wouldn't see him until he took it seriously or quarantined for 14 days made him change his mind?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I feel like pumping gas is a higher risk.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

If you wash or sanitize your hands after and wear a mask incase any mouth breather are around it should be not very risky. Then put your CC on the seat and wash it with alcohol or Clorox when you get home. I don't even do the last step, but it really shouldn't matter, keys and wallet are only touched when I go out so they don't need to be that clean IMHO. I try to leave my phone at home on real short trips, otherwise I sanitize it when I get home too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

You’re not next to anybody and you can wear gloves and wash your hands when you’re done. You think it’s going to jump off the handle at you?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pumping gas is super low risk.

Also, if you're smart, you should have a bunch of hand sanitizer in the car, and use that once you get in the car and then rub down whatever you touched getting into the car while your hands are still moist from the sanitizer.

Then, wash your hands when you get inside the house, without touching the car door handle (like, use your elbow or foot)

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Thank god I'm in NJ where a trained professional pumps the gas for me. Really enjoy involving a face to face interaction for no good reason.

Thankfully I've only had to fill up once in the last 3 months.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Thank god I'm in NJ where a trained professional pumps the gas for me. Really enjoy involving a face to face interaction for no good reason.

Thankfully I've only had to fill up once in the last 3 months.

I always forget that NJ lost their goddamn minds when they had to start pumping gas by themselves. it's so easy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I always forget that NJ lost their goddamn minds when they had to start pumping gas by themselves. it's so easy.

I mean, if you choose to live in NJ you're probably on a bit of a hair-trigger already?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can't trust any amazon brand name to not be counterfeit and counterfeits are not a standardized thing that you can do proper rct's against

if you wanna roll the dice go and roll the dice but you can't assume good effectiveness and you dont get the other aspect of the masks which is protecting other peeps cuz of the valve

HEY THESE MASKS DONT WORK. Okay great please answer the question or stop posting. YOU KNOW FAKES EXIST. Yes I know but that still doesn't answer the question. Please find some statistics to back up your claims. HEY FAKES EXIST and I WOULDNT ROLL THE DICE AS FAKES EXIST. OH YEAH AND VALVES don't filter exhaled air.

It's like you know very little but you at least know a fact or two (Amazon has fakes, the valves don't filter exhaled air thus don't protect other people) and hope those facts can be used to distract from the unsupported conclusions being made. (fakes exist so this product is a lie, only as effective as a paper mask). I'm sure you'll respond again not admitting your mistakes nor doing anything to answer what's being asked of you so how about skip the post instead because I've decided not to listen after giving you multiple chances.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so what's actually fuckkng up your day, seeing as how you're too drat angry for this to actually be about masks

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Lot of ppl mad about minor details on masks. Wait for the reviews if you buy on Amazon they'll let you know if they are fake real quick. Also to ppl talking about getting N95's I really wish you were right but there is no way they are readily available. I have 7 left from the Swine Flu (probably too old to be useful so fml) saving those for the end of days. I use KN95's, a cloth mask with a pocket, and 'surgical masks'.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
My face when I read the news every morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so what's actually fuckkng up your day, seeing as how you're too drat angry for this to actually be about masks

Maybe they live in NJ?

:shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
1. you can fake the reviews

2. reusable contracting p100s have literally never stopped being available

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Michael Corleone posted:

Wait for the reviews if you buy on Amazon they'll let you know if they are fake real quick.

Lol switching out legit products for fakes once you’ve gotten enough positive reviews on Amazon is Scamming 101. Reviews on there don’t mean poo poo and haven’t done for years.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generally the default thing on nearly all other ecommerce is like SA and metafilter, where you have to get a real employee to call up another employee to sell poo poo etc etc, which is the business equivalent of :10bux:

amazon basically went on an epic quest to make selling on amazon about as easy as getting a facebook account. when you do that you get facebook amounts of lying botting etc etc

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
HD Supply has some N100s: https://hdsupplysolutions.com/p/respiratory-protection-00-90-65/3m-n100-particulate-disposable-respirator-with-exhaust-valve-p641525

$15 each, ouch.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thank you for sharing this. It was incredibly informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
simpsons is the kinda thing that you get taught that poo poo in stats class and it seems like maybe it would be some sort of rare theory wanking thing that they teach you for stupid reasons then you go out into analyzing real data and it happens in like a fifth of your analyses

unintuitively common as muck lol