Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
Trying to decide between Cloudpunk and A Hat in Time as they are roughly the same price. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orv posted:

Shut up Cardiovorax.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm just gonna say I that I'm definitely not the only one who eventually just started COC-ing to quest locations instead of walking there when all I had was a name and a vague direction instead of some way to actually find it. There's a reason that kind of gaming sensibility is relegated to a niche retro market these days: it was really annoying.

SpitefulHammer posted:

Trying to decide between Cloudpunk and A Hat in Time as they are roughly the same price. Any thoughts?
Do you want a sorta-open world driving game or would you rather play a sorta-open world jump'n'run game with a focus on collectibles and being cute? Because they're really not very comparable otherwise, so that's a hard question to answer.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Morrowind's most notable mapping feature probably is the fact that they outright lie to you about the directions to some of its locations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Morrowind's most notable mapping feature probably is the fact that they outright lie to you about the directions to some of its locations.

Literal hours trying to find that loving cave.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SpitefulHammer posted:

Cloudpunk is a pretty walking (driving?) simulator. You'd lose almost nothing by just watching someone stream it, the voice acting is mixed to put it charitably, and overall it's... fine, but not something I'd prioritize over AHiT by any metric.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Samuringa posted:

In any other game I'd say it's cool that it simulates how it's hard for people give exact directions to distant or obscure places, but here I guess it's just Bethesda doing Bethesda stuff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Cloudpunk is a pretty walking (driving?) simulator. You'd lose almost nothing by just watching someone stream it, the voice acting is mixed to put it charitably, and overall it's... fine, but not something I'd prioritize over AHiT by any metric.

That's very charitable. The main character is fine but all the NPCs are *awful*. The writing isn't hideous but the acting is appalling.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Shatter ($0.99) - IMO tied with BreakQuest for best Breakout clones ever made. Costs 10 cents extra to get it with the OST. You'll want the OST.

The soundtrack for this is so good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Oh yeah. I'm a huge fan of Morrowind, questionable design decisions and all, but this is definitely A Thing That Has No Business Existing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's definitely some very Bethesda poo poo to release a game with major typos in your navigation directions and never fix them in a patch.

Cardiovorax posted:

You can always tell that the user base of Something Awful is getting old when they start 'kids these days'-ing about modern convenience features in games. Why, back in my day, we had to use graph paper when we wanted to map out a dungeon, and we liked it that way! None of that newfangled automap stuff for lazy people, no sirree.

It's true that this would get annoying at times, but the solution was better world design and better signposting/memorability, not throwing away most of the benefits of open world.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SpitefulHammer posted:

A Hat In Time is a very good game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HopperUK posted:

That's very charitable. The main character is fine but all the NPCs are *awful*. The writing isn't hideous but the acting is appalling.

I think mostly the main char VO is kinda annoying and she sounds like an naive american suburban white girl all the time. Some of the NPCs are okay imo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

threelemmings posted:

Just want to throw support to this, this game is amazing. Your ship can be built as an invisible rogue, you can literally be Link with a boomerang and sword, you can be a normal top down starfighter like in subspace continuum. The build variety and combos you can build are pretty amazing. The campaign is also really good, there is a fun variety of objectives and some really creative mission design, it never felt too samey.

Oh yeah, I missed that post, but Ringrunner is an absolute steal if you've ever enjoyed top-down starfighter gameplay. Just a fantastic product.

Samuringa posted:

I think this is probably from a lack of communication between the people making the maps and the people writing stuff, which only gets worse in larger games. Games also need editors.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

HopperUK posted:

The main character is fine for casual dialogue but she can't emote her way out of a wet paper bag. I thought Control was pretty good, and the beauty of the guy who perpetually talks in the past tense like a self-narrating stereotypical noir detective is that he's supposed to sound cheesy, and boy does he ever. Best character.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

K8.0 posted:

It's true that this would get annoying at times, but the solution was better world design and better signposting/memorability, not throwing away most of the benefits of open world.
On the one hand yes, but on the other hand, we kinda have to be realistic here and admit that no amount of signposting would be enough that someone won't have trouble finding a particular location, not even necessarily because they're stupid but simply because your instructions don't come together for them the way you thought it would, for whatever reason. Unless you literally put a glowing signpost on things, this is a problem your game will have.

That said, I honestly don't really think they got rid of the good things about open world games to begin with. I mean, Oblivion had major issues, but that was more because its world was lovely and boring from the ground up, not because it had a quest compass and Morrowind didn't. When I played Skyrim, I constantly stumbled over cool and interesting places all the time just by picking a direction and wandering off, so this is a complaint I just never really understood. I like Morrowind better for a lot of reasons, but it's not really for the quality of the map design so much as for the quality of the artistic direction. Giant mushrooms, swamps and ash deserts full of ancestor tombs are just more conceptually interesting than yet another fairly generic medieval Northern Europe-mashup full of caves and vikings. That's something that can be legitimately criticized. That locations are clearly marked on your map and that somehow this makes the game less fun seems to me like it really isn't, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I like involved orienteering when done well, and also POI compasses. They are both good but involve different levels of dev focus and game vision so they aren't comparable 1:1 even when a series has veered one way or the other in its incarnations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the issue is that marking the locations on the map immediately reveals their purpose, drawing attention to the fact everything is either a dungeon (everyone's hostile) or a settlement (everyone's friendly). With Morrowind, it's a lot less clear-cut: a lot of the wildreness locations have NPCs going on pilgrimages, some of the tombs you rob actually have family members paying respect to ancestors, stuff like that. If you wonder into a new location in Morrowind, you don't really know what to expect unless it's a daedric temple (and even those have quests sometimes).

Meanwhile, coming up on location in Skyrim, you can take one look at the map and tell it's going to be a level-scaled bandit den. No sense of discovery whatsoever.

I'll admit the art direction might be a factor here as well, the setting of last two TES games is just boring.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I think part of the issue is that marking the locations on the map immediately reveals their purpose, drawing attention to the fact everything is either a dungeon (everyone's hostile) or a settlement (everyone's friendly). With Morrowind, it's a lot less clear-cut: a lot of the wildreness locations have NPCs going on pilgrimages, some of the tombs you rob actually have family members paying respect to ancestors, stuff like that. If you wonder into a new location in Morrowind, you don't really know what to expect unless it's a daedric temple (and even those have quests sometimes).

Meanwhile, coming up on location in Skyrim, you can take one look at the map and tell it's going to be a level-scaled bandit den. No sense of discovery whatsoever.
That is a good point, yeah. There's a very sharp division between "adventuring locations" and "dialogue locations" in that game, for whatever reason. The way you could just randomly stumble over a friendly questgiver NPC in random tombs in Morrowind is a thing that Skyrim doesn't really do. It takes away from the tension of approaching a new location a bit. Seems like something you could work around well enough even without necessarily getting rid of all the modern conveniences again, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beat Hazard 2: I'm really enjoying this top-down arena shooter with music generating the levels, but the daily challenges seem to require you to sign up for spotify and gently caress that. Gonna stick to my own collection thank you.

e: aha managed to get around it with open mic mode and youtube on tap. Daily challenges CAN be done!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 4, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm hoping that maybe I'm literally "playing it wrong" but Outer Wilds quickly turned into a wildly unfun precision platforming game that feels like the game designers played the Xen levels from Half-Life and thought it was way too easy.

All the atmosphere and exploration is amazing, then I miss a jump or jump too high and that's a wipe have to start all over again.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Since this is the de facto gaming thread, in Arkham Knight, once you walk into a room and a riddle pops up, how do you see the riddle again?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ask for games, I'll PM the kee or if you don't have PM's then give it in Steam chat.

Guacamelee! 2
Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
MOTHERGUNSHIP
Override: Mech City Brawl
Avernum 3: Ruined World
Shenmue I & II
Evergarden
Sword Legacy: Omen
SOULCALIBUR VI
My Time at Portia
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Void Bastards
Call of Duty®: WWII
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Primal Carnage: Extinction
Paper Fire Rookie
Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom
Boundless

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 4, 2020

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Sininu posted:

Ask for games, I'll PM the kee or if you don't have PM's then give it in Steam chat.

Guacamelee! 2
Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
MOTHERGUNSHIP
Shenmue I & II
Evergarden
SOULCALIBUR VI
My Time at Portia
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Void Bastards
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Paper Fire Rookie
Boundless

If you've still got it, I would like My time at Portia please!
https://steamcommunity.com/id/pennfalath

e: cheers!

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 4, 2020

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sininu posted:

Void Bastards

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would really like Guacamelee 2.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Can I have Call of Duty®: WWII?

Edit: Thank you, Sininu.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 4, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sininu posted:

Ask for games
Shenmue I & II

This rad dude/dudette just gave me this. They're awesome! A++++, would PM again

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Also feel free to ask for multiple games, it'll take forever to give many of them away due to low interest.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

pentyne posted:

I'm hoping that maybe I'm literally "playing it wrong" but Outer Wilds quickly turned into a wildly unfun precision platforming game that feels like the game designers played the Xen levels from Half-Life and thought it was way too easy.

All the atmosphere and exploration is amazing, then I miss a jump or jump too high and that's a wipe have to start all over again.

Ways I have had my runs ended in Outer Wilds (not really spoilery but spoilered anyway to be thorough):

- a cyclone picked up my ship and tossed it onto a mountain 30 seconds after I got out of it to explore
- autopilot crashed me directly into the moon
- jumped to a distant platform that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- jumped to the ledge above me that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Hearthian satellite
- died to fall damage while jumping around on the Interloper (somehow)
- was busy watching something on my map when suddenly I was crushed to death by rising sand in an area I didn't know had rising sand
- autopilot flew me into one of the chunks orbiting the white hole at full speed
- died to the end of the time loop RIGHT after struggling like hell to get into an interesting area (on at least 5-6 occasions)
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Interloper when the Interloper was the autopilot's actual assigned target
- suffocated or ran out of fuel halfway through an exploration run because the game really hates you having fuel if you aren't near a campfire or your ship
- autopilot hard-reversed and crashed me directly into the planet I was just taking off from

I finished the game. I loved the discovery and the story. I hated playing it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

pentyne posted:

Right there with you on platforming frustrations. What helps is that there is always another place to explore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sininu posted:

Also feel free to ask for multiple games, it'll take forever to give many of them away due to low interest.
Alright, then I also wouldn't mind Avernum 3 and Mothergunship. :)

edit: Sininu is great and I really appreciate the gifts.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 4, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"i'm ready to die in space," said the protagonist, and space heard him loud and clear

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Hey! For those of you who picked up Planetfall in the humble bundle, we have a thread here. There’s a chill discord linked in the OP, and a regular group down for multiplayer or just shooting the breeze about the game. Usually every month or two there’s been a tournament-and we are currently in the semifinals of the most recent one.

Check it out if you’re interested!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sininu posted:

Guacamelee! 2
Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
MOTHERGUNSHIP
Shenmue I & II
Evergarden
SOULCALIBUR VI
My Time at Portia
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Void Bastards
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Paper Fire Rookie
Boundless

Mothergunship please

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dodoman posted:

Mothergunship please

No more Mothergunship, sorry!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Ways I have had my runs ended in Outer Wilds (not really spoilery but spoilered anyway to be thorough):

- a cyclone picked up my ship and tossed it onto a mountain 30 seconds after I got out of it to explore
- autopilot crashed me directly into the moon
- jumped to a distant platform that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- jumped to the ledge above me that turned out to be completely occupied by ghost matter and I couldn't see the telltale crystals until it was too late
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Hearthian satellite
- died to fall damage while jumping around on the Interloper (somehow)
- was busy watching something on my map when suddenly I was crushed to death by rising sand in an area I didn't know had rising sand
- autopilot flew me into one of the chunks orbiting the white hole at full speed
- died to the end of the time loop RIGHT after struggling like hell to get into an interesting area (on at least 5-6 occasions)
- autopilot crashed me directly into the Interloper when the Interloper was the autopilot's actual assigned target
- suffocated or ran out of fuel halfway through an exploration run because the game really hates you having fuel if you aren't near a campfire or your ship
- autopilot hard-reversed and crashed me directly into the planet I was just taking off from

I finished the game. I loved the discovery and the story. I hated playing it.

The game explicitly tells you that auto-pilot is a death trap and you have to pay attention or you'll end up flying into the sun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of death traps, that list left off my favorite cause of death, learning that the ship has an eject button

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's so many fun ways to die in Outer Wilds, it's part of why it works so well IMO. It breeds paranoia and you really don't want to make mistakes due to the consequences.

Started up Shadow of War after finishing Mordor and... yikes, the story in this worse and I'm already confused about what's happening. The orcs are great. Pretty awesome to get ambused when you least expect it and have them directly comment on what's happening - like when I sent a worm to gather intel on one captain and he shows up immediately, angry that someone had been snooping on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sininu posted:

Guacamelee! 2
Puss!
The Spiral Scouts
MOTHERGUNSHIP
Shenmue I & II
Evergarden
SOULCALIBUR VI
My Time at Portia
Fluffy Horde
Hacknet
Chasm
Void Bastards
Tower of Guns
Think of the Children
Satellite Reign
Rising Dusk
Quest of Dungeons
Paper Fire Rookie
Boundless

Still have Override: Mech City Brawl? I have PMs.

edit: thanks a lot!

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 4, 2020