Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I assume being in the Borg collective is like taking a really intense dissociative, but starfleet officers don’t do drugs so they are completely unprepared for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I didn't realise the conference table bridge made it to the model stage.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

*Captain stands up* "I'll be in my ready room. Can I just squeeze past you here... Commander, can you scoot your chair in a little more so I can... a little more, come on, suck in the gut... there we go!"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
He doesn't need a ready room if the conference table is on the bridge and his subordinates can stand for him. I like the conference bridge. You shouldn't need to stand all day hitting buttons in the space future. You need to make good decisions and the command staff are there to give advice in their specialties.

TNG spent a season or two with the captain seeing some weird, dangerous, poo poo and then calling a conference every episode. Might as well hold the conference on the bridge so you can keep an eye on the weird poo poo and be ready to go.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I like how the table and its support kind of looks like the neck and saucer of the ship.

Also even with this maximum hotel lounge design Worf still doesn't get a chair.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Riker definitely leaps over the railing to sit in those chairs.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I can sort of see this working nowadays since they could just make a holographic table, but this is a way more awkward idea than the couches built into Helm and conn idea.

Though more workable than the double decker bridge idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Powered Descent posted:

*Captain stands up* "I'll be in my ready room. Can I just squeeze past you here... Commander, can you scoot your chair in a little more so I can... a little more, come on, suck in the gut... there we go!"

I love that this was exactly my thought.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

8one6 posted:

I like how the table and its support kind of looks like the neck and saucer of the ship.
The table part can separate and hover out of the way when the conference is over!

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Maybe Worf just likes a standing desk.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Klingons have better spines and feet than humans and can stand all day without suffering.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHX-MFwJ6UI

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

That brief moment of the collective talking before they were immediately spaced was such a tease.

Yeah, they were building up to what could have been an interesting plotline, the perfect opportunity to actually make good use of a returning character beyond name recognition. And then they unceremoniously flushed it down the toilet, almost as though they were actively trying to give the middle finger to anyone who was hoping for intelligent sci-fi stuff.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Klingons have better spines and feet than humans and can stand all day without suffering.

As long as said spines don't have improperly secured cargo fall on them, at least.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trying to imagine that famous ending scene in Best of Both Worlds but with the ridiculous table in the background and my brain turns off

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mr. Worf... *twenty seconds of chair scraping* Fire!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
When poo poo gets real the captain can stand on the table to show dominance

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh Captain, my Captain! *chair rolls out from under the young ensign and they bonk their head*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm very, very glad that they didn't just use the bridge for conferences because I think that would be even more awkward than going to another room for it. Trying to imagine them having a meeting at the Captain's Table while they have Tomalak on mute on the giant viewscreen

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm very, very glad that they didn't just use the bridge for conferences because I think that would be even more awkward than going to another room for it. Trying to imagine them having a meeting at the Captain's Table while they have Tomalak on mute on the giant viewscreen

Or having all of those tense negotiation scenes in the middle of the bridge with extras milling about trying to pretend nothing unusual's happening.

8one6
May 20, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tomalak just sitting there bored waiting for the meeting to end.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

8one6 posted:

Tomalak just sitting there bored waiting for the meeting to end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don’t want to know what the night crew has done on that table.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

You don’t want to know what the night crew has done on that table.

What kind of nerds play 'Exalted 7th edition' anyway?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Learning about Weeaboos and then going back to TNG has ruined every single quote, especially since no Klingon seems to actually follow Worf's ridiculous ideas. How many Klingons, in total, do you think, actually do the ritualistic and ceremonial bachelor party and don't just have a loving rager for days?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The_Doctor posted:

Are those Gi Joes or some other late 80s toy?

Wait, I think the one guy on the top right is Lobot from Star Wars.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

one of them looks like the fonz

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Learning about Weeaboos and then going back to TNG has ruined every single quote, especially since no Klingon seems to actually follow Worf's ridiculous ideas. How many Klingons, in total, do you think, actually do the ritualistic and ceremonial bachelor party and don't just have a loving rager for days?

Zero. Or maybe a prince putting on a show? Worf read it in a poorly written federation book on Klingon culture and ran with it, which is what happens with all his Klingon poo poo.

He's like a dude that read The Chrysanthemum and the Sword and decided he totally gets Japanese culture. Then he starts wandering the streets of Japan with a samurai sword and a kimono, talking only in haikus.

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wait, I think the one guy on the top right is Lobot from Star Wars.

I think the navigator is Lisa Hayes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wow, Season 3 of TOS starts off with arguably the worst episode of the series, Spock's Brain. I feel bad for the actors in this one. You get both the cavemen and the dumb women living in a bunker built by their technologically advanced ancestors where they don't know how to use anything. To say that this episode is misogynist is an understatement; half of the plot revolves around the lead woman who stole Spock's brain being too dumb to put his brain back without help from an ancient machine that grants knowledge temporarily. It's also an extremely boring and derivative episode. It's yet another one where Kirk upends an alien society and just tells them that he will help them adapt to major changes. I don't recall any mention of the Prime Directive here at all, even though neither the men nor the women on this planet really have any understanding of technology beyond what the Teacher machine gives them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wow, Season 3 of TOS starts off with arguably the worst episode of the series, Spock's Brain. I feel bad for the actors in this one. You get both the cavemen and the dumb women living in a bunker built by their technologically advanced ancestors where they don't know how to use anything. To say that this episode is misogynist is an understatement; half of the plot revolves around the lead woman who stole Spock's brain being too dumb to put his brain back without help from an ancient machine that grants knowledge temporarily. It's also an extremely boring and derivative episode. It's yet another one where Kirk upends an alien society and just tells them that he will help them adapt to major changes. I don't recall any mention of the Prime Directive here at all, even though neither the men nor the women on this planet really have any understanding of technology beyond what the Teacher machine gives them.

I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure Gene Coon went on a massive alcohol bender and then, while still blitzed out of his mind, hammered out the script in 40 minutes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Spock’s Brain is Coon writing a deliberate mockery of how Freiberger/others wanted him to dumb down and sex up the series. Dumb hot chicks literally steal the brain of the show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I kinda love Spock’s Brain

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda love Spock’s Brain

Brain and brain! What is brain!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Spock’s Brain is Coon writing a deliberate mockery of how Freiberger/others wanted him to dumb down and sex up the series. Dumb hot chicks literally steal the brain of the show

And people still subscribe to death of the author?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Coon had already quit the series as a producer halfway through the second season because he couldn't deal with Roddenberry anymore. He did three or four freelance scripts in season 3 under his pen name as a favor to Bob Justman.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

US Naval Academy Professor lays out why the single design composition in Picard actually makes some sense.

tl;dr: A common ship architecture is more economical for a rapid rebuilding effort, especially after the big losses from Borg attacks and the Dominion War, and the Romulans backing off is perfectly in character.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's dumb but it's way less boring than The Lights of Zetar, which is a horrible slog where nothing happens.

Also thought it was funny how Spock's Brain of all episodes is the one where they do some rear-projection on the main bridge viewer so that Kirk can walk past it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, regarding Picard and the... Inquiry-class? I also might be forgiving of copying and pasting the same ship model a few hundred times if the model didn't look like hot dogshit to begin with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also, regarding Picard and the... Inquiry-class? I also might be forgiving of copying and pasting the same ship model a few hundred times if the model didn't look like hot dogshit to begin with.

It's literally the Sovereign class with the nacelle pylon directions reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't really matter if there can be an in universe justification for it, it's that it was clearly done as an easy solution and shows making the scene look cheap and lose any sense of scale.

If it had been a situation where there were lots of those same ships, with a handful of other recognizable ones mixed in or at the fringes then it would clearly be a storytelling choice.