Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The summoning items will also drop randomly from enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

14 shadow chests no bow

8 chests in the lava layer no charm

I just don't understand why the 1.4 update brought so much great stuff but also had to come with select changes to make the game more grindy :(

Also whoever decided that meteors should be bomb proof deserves scorn

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Tin Tim posted:

14 shadow chests no bow

8 chests in the lava layer no charm

I just don't understand why the 1.4 update brought so much great stuff but also had to come with select changes to make the game more grindy :(

Fishing in lava for crates gives you both Underworld/lava-specific loot drops like the charm and a coffer that gives you the drops from shadow chests, and you don't have to be specifically in the Underworld for the crates to spawn -- just with enough lava anywhere.

Admittedly, you do need to grab enough Underworld critters to be able to fish in lava until you get the Heat-Proof Lure (or whatever it's called), though, and they can be a bit annoying to farm for if you're not in Journey mode.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 5, 2020

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Copycat Zero posted:

Fishing in lava for crates gives you both Underworld/lava-specific loot drops like the charm and a coffer that gives you the drops from shadow chests, and you don't have to be specifically in the Underworld for the crates to spawn -- just with enough lava anywhere.

Admittedly, you do need to grab enough Underworld critters to be able to fish in lava until you get the Heat-Proof Lure (or whatever it's called), though, and they can be a bit annoying to farm for if you're not in Journey mode.

I think lava fishing is bugged, even with high fishing power I wasn't getting bites more than every 90 seconds or so.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it's bugged, I think it's just intentionally slow because all you get out of it are gold-level crates and usable fish, there's no bad catch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it's bugged, I think it's just intentionally slow because all you get out of it are gold-level crates and usable fish, there's no bad catch.
This is why I did my journeymode "hard mode fishing for ores" in Hell, realizing I only ever got biome crates down there. No filling out my crates with pearlwood boxes that wouldn't even have Orichalcum or Titanium in it in the first place that way :buddy:

The real magic of RNG was opening over *outlandish amount* crates before seeing a single piece of "Obsolete because I already have Hallow gear" Orichalcum ore. Hundreds of bars, piles of every other ore. Just not that one.

The magic of "That's it. I'm going outside for a walk" made a bunch of crates in a row give me that ore, but it was another reason I was glad to be playing journey mode.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah afaik it has always been slow. That 2.5% chance for the charm per crate is real rough though ngl. Luckily I've built up a stack of crate potions from the angler quests and I kinda expect to burn most or all of them. First 7 crates at least gave me the hook so I'm not gated by the bait anymore. Also the lockboxes gave me 4 lances and 3 flowers so awesome start on the hunt for the bow :argh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Section Z posted:

This is why I did my journeymode "hard mode fishing for ores" in Hell, realizing I only ever got biome crates down there. No filling out my crates with pearlwood boxes that wouldn't even have Orichalcum or Titanium in it in the first place that way :buddy:

The real magic of RNG was opening over *outlandish amount* crates before seeing a single piece of "Obsolete because I already have Hallow gear" Orichalcum ore. Hundreds of bars, piles of every other ore. Just not that one.

The magic of "That's it. I'm going outside for a walk" made a bunch of crates in a row give me that ore, but it was another reason I was glad to be playing journey mode.

If you're in Journey mode just wait until you have 10 of the crates before opening them up and dupe them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you're in Journey mode just wait until you have 10 of the crates before opening them up and dupe them.
That's exactly the reason I was glad it was journey mode. Because even with dupe crates the universe decided "You know what? Nobody is ever going to believe you how many crates you opened until that ONE ore type you don't even need for anything came out while you have 400-600+ of every other ore and hundreds of every bar" numbers would be involved.

The fact I just thought bubblegum blocks would be cute to have as an option rather than it being a pressing need for obsolete ore did help make it more funny than painful even with that, at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 5, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A full stack of any crate will give you such a hilarious number of literally anything you could want out of them. I was desperate for Ice Skates to complete my Terra Boots that I just said gently caress it, there's a 1/6 chance of getting them out of Boreal crates and it would take 10 to dupe them, I'll just open up each one I get instead of waiting. After 25 crates with no skates I said gently caress it and cheated them in.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

52 obsidian crates without a charm so far :sludgepal:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I fished up ten obsidian crates and researched them ready to grind through hundreds pursuing that 2.5% chance of a lava charm.

Then it dropped from my sixth.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I got frustrated after spending an hour and a half farming chests for a Lava charm, then decided to fish up a crate and got it on my first try. Still annoying, though; the Terraria devs seem to pick the weirdest hills to die on sometimes (the torch clusterfuck, the lava charm chest nerf, Absolute Virtue-syndroming the poo poo out of the Moon Lord after it first came out, etc).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

did the lava charm actually get nerfed tho? the only thing that’s changed about it afaik is that it’s used in a recipe now

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

watho posted:

did the lava charm actually get nerfed tho? the only thing that’s changed about it afaik is that it’s used in a recipe now

It only spawns in chests in the lava layer now. Used to be anywhere in the cavern layer. So it has about half the spawn rate, I guess, since the lava layer is about half of the cavern layer. (In a large world, Caverns generally starts at -1000 ft, and ends around -3000, while lava starts showing up around -2000)

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 6, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mean it also added the lava crates which balances that out imo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It's a 2.5% chance per crate. That sucks

Also the drop chance in the lava layer chests has to still compete with all the other items that drop in the underground/cavern chests. I went through 8 chests in the lava layer without a charm and I'm still sitting at 52 lava crates without a charm

I just don't get why this specific item had to be changed to be a chore to get :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the 2.5% chance from crates is too low i’ll give you that but it don’t think making it just spawn in the lava layer is a bad idea, could use some weighting this

watho fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

watho posted:

it has always been a 2.5% chance from chests
Really? I never looked that up because I always just found it along the way while spelunking. Never felt rare to me since I usually ended up with a spare or two before I fought the wall

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It was used in the Lava Waders before, the change is that you can combine the Lava Waders with what was previously the top-level Go Fast boots.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it wasn't for the Lava Waders and the associated crafting recipe, Obsidian Potion would be pretty much categorically the better choice. It's even fairly easy to make.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
To create the boots that share a name with the sixth best sword and a toilet, and which Red previously said he would never add to the game because they'd be so overpowered.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Really? I never looked that up because I always just found it along the way while spelunking. Never felt rare to me since I usually ended up with a spare or two before I fought the wall

i had misremembered stuff and thought it was 2.5% to drop from chests as well but no it works like other chest drops afaict.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Chests just don't have drop rates in general, because every chest has its content generated at worldgen.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Chests just don't have drop rates in general, because every chest has its content generated at worldgen.

i mean they kinda do it’s 1/n where n is the amount of items in the pool but that’s just me being pedantic

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Baron von Eevl posted:

A full stack of any crate will give you such a hilarious number of literally anything you could want out of them. I was desperate for Ice Skates to complete my Terra Boots that I just said gently caress it, there's a 1/6 chance of getting them out of Boreal crates and it would take 10 to dupe them, I'll just open up each one I get instead of waiting. After 25 crates with no skates I said gently caress it and cheated them in.

One in 100 people who repeated this experiment themselves on 25 crates would get your same result. Sad

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there still a good reason to build a skybridge? I mean with the pylon network I now don't need it anymore to easily travel around my medium world

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I built a rail network connecting my floating islands, with a teleporter at each end if you just want to go from beach to beach. I mean I mostly did it to have something to do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Is there still a good reason to build a skybridge? I mean with the pylon network I now don't need it anymore to easily travel around my medium world
They're a convenient way to fight many of the overworld bosses. Most of them are simply not fast enough to catch up to you when you run full-tilt along an asphalt skyroad, so you can just shoot them while they're trailing after you and basically completely avoid taking any contact damage. They usually so busy chasing you that they won't even use their ranged attacks.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Skybridges (with a minecart track below) are also a great way to farm fallen stars on non-journey mode worlds.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I am we a sky ridge to farm trees, then I replace the dirt with pumpkins.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Also the pillars want you to run across your world to fight them, and when they're active the pylons turn off. Having a skybridge helps make that easier to make it back and forth.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

They're a convenient way to fight many of the overworld bosses. Most of them are simply not fast enough to catch up to you when you run full-tilt along an asphalt skyroad, so you can just shoot them while they're trailing after you and basically completely avoid taking any contact damage. They usually so busy chasing you that they won't even use their ranged attacks.

Made a big sky bridge, got black spot from first pirate. Never used bridge after. Black spot will carry anyone on master mode past moon lord, when you get the go fast star, and the new infinite flight makes that the undisputed gotta go fast.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

I lust for gnome death.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Eikre posted:

I lust for gnome death.

Strong lemmings vibes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
is that loving gnometse

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eikre posted:

I lust for gnome death.

Are they mooning you as a last act of defiance?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Yeah, you guys haven't seen the gnome's butthole before? Given that so many people lost their poo poo about the luck modifier from torches, I figured for certain that everyone would be slamming gnomes on the field at every conceivable opportunity.

For some reason I find it very amusing to hunt and lure them. But I've got them in supply so I leave them everywhere. Fishing spots, all my outposts, places where I'm grinding for drops. The watchful gaze of that small gaping rectum is with me always.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve never managed to get a single garden gnome, i’ve only ever seen two and didn’t manage to get either into sunlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
They spawn in front of natural walls, and at an extremely high rate in front of natural living wood walls. Go find your huge living tree biome, clear the blocks out from either sides of the shafts in the taproot complex to expose more living wood background wall. Clear the platforms that are already there and put new ones in every 8 tiles (gnomes are really bouncy but can only jump 7 blocks high) and throw a couple of water candles down. Then make a kill room towards the bottom of the complex, between the shafts, by hammering dirt walls up from the underground layer until you expose sunlight.

Dismiss any summons, grab your cobalt shield, and bring me a hundred petrified gnome scalps.