Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Silhouette posted:

Where did you get tiny HISS tanks?

3D printed (on Shapeways, because I don't own a 3D printer).

The Arctic HISS are extremely fragile (those missiles snap off if they come into contact with tissue paper) but the others were tougher than I expected. In smoothest fine detail plastic they come out at about $2.50 per tank, not counting shipping which--let's face it, is still cheaper than four Vedettes. I also have files ready-made for 6mm ASPs, Water Moccasins, Morays, Firebats, and MOBAT tanks/Cobra C.A.T.S. (same thing) which are all pretty comparable in price. The Stinger has the same fragility problem as the Arctic HISS and I never got around to printing any of the stationary guns or boats.

I also did a file for the Rattler, but at BattleTech scale with all its bombs and missiles it comes out to $31 per Rattler which, uh... :gonk:

If you're interested, I'll make them available in my shop at production cost. I'll just need to remove the Snow Snakes first because they're just too fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

http://badgerairbrush.com/Special_Offer_YOTS.asp

commemorate the worst year with an airbrush you may not live to receive!

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Yeah I like my badger airbrush but it took over six months to ship.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cat Face Joe posted:

Here's hoping!

:woop:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah im still waiting on my sotar that i ordered in the January sale haha

Also this week I went back to a plastic palette and I... think I prefer it? :ohdear: is this heresy? Does anyone else just kinda not get on with a wet palette?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

3D printed (on Shapeways, because I don't own a 3D printer).

The Arctic HISS are extremely fragile (those missiles snap off if they come into contact with tissue paper) but the others were tougher than I expected. In smoothest fine detail plastic they come out at about $2.50 per tank, not counting shipping which--let's face it, is still cheaper than four Vedettes. I also have files ready-made for 6mm ASPs, Water Moccasins, Morays, Firebats, and MOBAT tanks/Cobra C.A.T.S. (same thing) which are all pretty comparable in price. The Stinger has the same fragility problem as the Arctic HISS and I never got around to printing any of the stationary guns or boats.

I also did a file for the Rattler, but at BattleTech scale with all its bombs and missiles it comes out to $31 per Rattler which, uh... :gonk:

If you're interested, I'll make them available in my shop at production cost. I'll just need to remove the Snow Snakes first because they're just too fragile.

You can get an elegoo mars for under $200 shipped on ebay, brand new :)

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

jesus WEP posted:

yeah im still waiting on my sotar that i ordered in the January sale haha

Also this week I went back to a plastic palette and I... think I prefer it? :ohdear: is this heresy? Does anyone else just kinda not get on with a wet palette?

There's a learning curve with a wet palette that's under represented. It's often touted as a miracle solution but it takes some effort to make work. I never got on with them until I abandoned making them and bought one.

To me the key difference is in a wet palette your paints get thinner over time, and with a standard pallet your paints get dryer over time. That, and the wet palette requires you to fuss over a little details of how much water is in there, what kind of paper you're putting in, Etc. No such issues with the standard pallet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think you’re probably right especially with the change in consistency over time. I definitely have a “feel” for just how damp I should make my brush before going back to a paint in the dry palette. I bet I do something similar on the wet palette and, yeah, my paints all end up splitting and bring too thin to work with

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Silhouette posted:

You can get an elegoo mars for under $200 shipped on ebay, brand new :)

If I had the workspace for it I'd be all over that, but the only space that isn't carpeted is my kitchen and I'm more than a little leery about playing with toxic chemicals near my food. :saddowns:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gameko posted:

There's a learning curve with a wet palette that's under represented. It's often touted as a miracle solution but it takes some effort to make work. I never got on with them until I abandoned making them and bought one.

To me the key difference is in a wet palette your paints get thinner over time, and with a standard pallet your paints get dryer over time. That, and the wet palette requires you to fuss over a little details of how much water is in there, what kind of paper you're putting in, Etc. No such issues with the standard pallet

I must be using the wrong kind of paper because mine seems to get drier over time. I'm just using regular Reynolds' parchment paper from the grocery store and the sponge is almost floating in the water

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

jesus WEP posted:

I think you’re probably right especially with the change in consistency over time. I definitely have a “feel” for just how damp I should make my brush before going back to a paint in the dry palette. I bet I do something similar on the wet palette and, yeah, my paints all end up splitting and bring too thin to work with

Yeah it took me a little while to realize that there was a certain measure of watering down happening as soon as I put the paint on the wet pallet and to adjust accordingly. There are a few paints that I don't think at all when using a wet pallet.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I'm doing a DIY tupperware/paper towel/parchment paper one. It tends to only split the paint when it's freshly redone and sopping wet. After a session or two it will dry to a happy medium where the paint will stay damp but can still be thinned with medium or water for glazing. A lot of your experience with one probably depends on your painting environment/humidity. Mine dries slowly and needs water added about once a painting session. It keeps paint usable for over a week. I paint in a basement with a dehumidifier set to 55%.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the 40k thread.

JackMann posted:

Finished up my Smash Captain. First Iron Hands unit I've done since the Difficulties started.

I used bits from the vanguard veteran and space marine commander kits.

The banner says "Fugit Mortem," which, according to Google Translate, means "Death Flies." The good news is that if it's wrong, the freehand is bad enough that no one will know if I don't tell them.

The jump pack is from the vanguard set, with eagles cut off from the backpack in the commander kit.

I also tried out one of the Vallejo color shifter paints on the hammer, but they don't work super well on a flat surface, especially not when brushed on. I may try with an airbrush on a more curved surface in the future.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I had the workspace for it I'd be all over that, but the only space that isn't carpeted is my kitchen and I'm more than a little leery about playing with toxic chemicals near my food. :saddowns:

Just put a rug under wherever it ends up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Vaporware posted:

I've had this battletech mini on my desk for at least 10 years to repaint. I finally just started without a color scheme in mind. I ran out of steam after doing some highlights. It started out as a zenithal brush highlight but I really like the stark black and white, it sort turned into an homage to the tech manuals.

It was mostly an exercise in black brush lining and trying to paint white over black.

I found out my baddab black ink is starting to go goopy, and Mr. Surfacer is really hard to brush paint at 90 deg f.

Any advice? I was thinking about doing a varnish and then applying and removing glazes to see how I like different paint schemes.

https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1278846610492084228?s=21

I really like the greyscale look. The back especially where you've really brought out the shadows on different panels. The only suggestion I would have is maybe the lower half (that faces downwards) on that front chest panel could be a bit darker, it looks a little flat at the moment.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

I just bought a new Sotar :negative:

i hosed up

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ghosts N' Roses

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Winklebottom posted:

Ghosts N' Roses

An excellent take! That set is really fun to play around with.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Got Grashrak's Despoilers all painted up, pretty pleased with them. My first completed project since I got back into painting minis.

Actually, looking at Grashrak, he needs a few touch ups.
Next up...

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got Grashrak's Despoilers all painted up, pretty pleased with them. My first completed project since I got back into painting minis.

Next up...

Looks good. Grashrak's was my first project as well. Still haven't gotten the guts to try Mollog

PierreTheMime posted:

An excellent take! That set is really fun to play around with.

Thanks! My first ghosts, they're pretty fun to paint

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 5, 2020

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Painted fire for the first time and finished off the terradon riders!

Came out pretty okay I think, although the camera hides a lot of the blotchyness :sweatdrop: I still don't know how to do desert bases I'm happy with, so I'm holding off on them. Might finally be time to tackle that bastilladon...

Here's everything I've managed so far:

For anyone who has experience with GW flight stands like this, how do you deal with them? They don't fit tight into the hole in the base, and the little orb at the top doesn't fit into the socket on the model either. I'd have to glue both of them in place otherwise they'd fall off if you so much as breathed on them, but it seems like they'd be a nightmare to transport if I did. Not that it's an immediate concern, I'm just predicting either the stand breaks, the rider breaks, or both break.

Winklebottom posted:

Ghosts N' Roses

Also these are some sick ghosts

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Painted fire for the first time and finished off the terradon riders!

Came out pretty okay I think, although the camera hides a lot of the blotchyness :sweatdrop: I still don't know how to do desert bases I'm happy with, so I'm holding off on them. Might finally be time to tackle that bastilladon...

Here's everything I've managed so far:

For anyone who has experience with GW flight stands like this, how do you deal with them? They don't fit tight into the hole in the base, and the little orb at the top doesn't fit into the socket on the model either. I'd have to glue both of them in place otherwise they'd fall off if you so much as breathed on them, but it seems like they'd be a nightmare to transport if I did. Not that it's an immediate concern, I'm just predicting either the stand breaks, the rider breaks, or both break.

Awesome job! As to the basing question, what I did was cut off the little ball at the tip of the flight stand and added 4mm magnets. Works fairly well, although it can be a pain when trying to pile in or whatever since they can fall off or rotate.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i love all the fancy models that come out these days but i still love the basics the most

a goblin

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i love all the fancy models that come out these days but i still love the basics the most

a goblin

WHO ARE YOU?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I spent approx 14 million years painting 10 elves and they're still not close to being done, and then I bang this poo poo out in an afternoon and am like 'oh yeah, this is why people like marines'

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a goblin

I love your style, it's really distinctive and beautiful.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a goblin

I love this goblin, great style and execution!!!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a goblin

Your painted bases just astound me.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

im batman*

*if batman painted minis occasionally and also didn't fight crime

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TotalHell posted:

Your painted bases just astound me.

I just realized that's a regular base that was hand painted to look all cell shaded. I love it.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Nebalebadingdong posted:

a goblin

This is amazing and I'm now stealing this colour scheme

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

hooman posted:

I really like the greyscale look. The back especially where you've really brought out the shadows on different panels. The only suggestion I would have is maybe the lower half (that faces downwards) on that front chest panel could be a bit darker, it looks a little flat at the moment.

I think you're right, I had trouble with the plane of the chest because it's nearly flat and textured poorly and sort of a pain. I left it for last and hurried thru.

Battletech is the one with the cockpit in the head right? Thinking about that reflection cockpit but I don't think I can get in the forward "eye". I had a big problem with the #0 brush drying before I could get the dot of paint in there

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
im picking at my old hero quest stuff

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hot-drat that's good, you're making me want to paint my heroquest furniture too

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

this is adorable, and really well done.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Jesus christ that's amazing! That's flawless work, and you deserve to be paid very well if you ever do commission work. I'm blown away by how cute and we'll done this is.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
y'all too kind. i hosed up the bottles several times but you can't really tell from the pic.

i need to finish a few more goblins and some skeletons and a bit more furniture pieces. then my 5 year old is gonna go on her first dungeon crawl

e: im pretty sure she's gonna be friends with all the monsters

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

y'all too kind. i hosed up the bottles several times but you can't really tell from the pic.

i need to finish a few more goblins and some skeletons and a bit more furniture pieces. then my 5 year old is gonna go on her first dungeon crawl

e: im pretty sure she's gonna be friends with all the monsters

:kimchi: that's adorable.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

THE BEST THING ABOUT HEROQUEST IS THE TINY FURNITURE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Apologies for the large amount of photos, but I’ve been busy over the last few months and haven’t posted in this thread before.