Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Boot Camp won’t be a thing on the new ARM Macs. Porting any games to those things will probably be a disaster unless you’re using one of the bigger engines (Unreal, Unity) that might do the heavy lifting, although honestly we’ll see if they bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is the sneaky upgrade mod for thief 3 good?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Karasu Tengu posted:

OSX's support of the stuff that makes GZdoom work isn't very great at present and only gonna get worse. I'd not expect to see OSX ports for much longer, so maybe a good time to learn how to boot camp.

If there's a saving grace, it's ZDoom embracing a Vulkan renderer. I've tested that on a hoary old late 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, and while it's a little slower than the OpenGL renderer (I know...) it does work thanks to MoltenVK. ZDoom's full feature set is contingent on a bunch of middleware, from Fluidsynth to OPL libraries; are these at risk of being dropped from macOS going forward? I've gotten ZDoom running on a Pi 3, so it's at least capable of running on ARM...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I understand why Arm would cause issues but why would support on the current architecture get worse?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Barudak posted:

There are so many, its a surfeit of choices.

There's a number in the pipeline but there aren't a ton of good finished ones out (I mean full games not WADs and such).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

david_a posted:

Boot Camp won’t be a thing on the new ARM Macs. Porting any games to those things will probably be a disaster unless you’re using one of the bigger engines (Unreal, Unity) that might do the heavy lifting, although honestly we’ll see if they bother.

The big engines already support metal as an API target, I think for huge engines it'll still be easy to hit Mac.

Automated builds could get nasty, but I assume Apple is already working with Mac stadium to make sure there's an ample supply up to rent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I feel Ultra Dumb... where do I get Maps of Chaos? It can't be a Brutal Doom only thing, can it?

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo, I love Beautiful Doom, but I'm curious... I've seen it mentioned that it doesn't necessarily change the gameplay or damage values (outside of the secondary functions); is that true? I feel like all of my shots land better and harder, but maybe that's just smoke and mirrors from the better animations and audio.

It kind of feels like a Brutal Doom Lite, which is totally my jam and is going to make playing vanilla Doom that much harder. :confuoot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 5, 2020

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, I feel Ultra Dumb... where do I get Maps of Chaos? It can't be a Brutal Doom only thing, can it?

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo, I love Beautiful Doom, but I'm curious... I've seen it mentioned that it doesn't necessarily change the gameplay or damage values (outside of the secondary functions); is that true? I feel like all of my shots land better and harder, but maybe that's just smoke and mirrors from the better animations and audio.

It kind of feels like a Brutal Doom Lite, which is totally my jam and is going to make playing vanilla Doom that much harder. :confuoot:

You mean this?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii

It used to go by that name there but it was changed to Maps of Chaos and it has just standard enemies. You can play it with anything.

Also, you'd be surprised what a little bit of eye candy will do to make it look like you are just blasting the heck out of the enemies, especially if you're so used to the vanilla effects.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

You mean this?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii

It used to go by that name there but it was changed to Maps of Chaos and it has just standard enemies. You can play it with anything.

Also, you'd be surprised what a little bit of eye candy will do to make it look like you are just blasting the heck out of the enemies, especially if you're so used to the vanilla effects.

Ah ok, thanks! I had seen that, but I guess I read it too quickly and thought it was Brutal Doom packaged with MoC.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/BafuBal/status/1279520460888252421

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

I understand why Arm would cause issues but why would support on the current architecture get worse?
OpenGL is depreciated on MacOS, which means that support for it might get yanked at any given moment.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Kins posted:

OpenGL is depreciated on MacOS, which means that support for it might get yanked at any given moment.

Yes, but MoltenVK has been used to get Metal up and running. If it works on my late 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, it should work on newer hardware, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, but MoltenVK has been used to get Metal up and running. If it works on my late 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, it should work on newer hardware, too.
True. I wasn't sure if the guy who handles most of the Mac stuff for GZDoom was willing to delve into Renderer Things, but it looks like MoltenVK is already implemented.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Relin posted:

is the sneaky upgrade mod for thief 3 good?

Yeah, it's a bunch of solid bugfixes and includes T3 Gold to remove the loading zones, which significantly improves Thief 3. Definitely the fanpatch worth using.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 5, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As teased earlier, RedNukem now supports playing Duke Nukem 64 from the comfort of your own PC, via the magic of reverse-engineering (which is both more accurate and way less fragile than the old EDuke32 TC!) Just place the nightly build from the top right corner of that page in the same folder as a Duke 64 ROM dump and you're off to the races.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

As teased earlier, RedNukem now supports playing Duke Nukem 64 from the comfort of your own PC, via the magic of reverse-engineering (which is both more accurate and way less fragile than the old EDuke32 TC!) Just place the nightly build from the top right corner of that page in the same folder as a Duke 64 ROM dump and you're off to the races.

Duke64 rom dump? is that a custom game directory out of a Duke64 rom file or?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Duke64 rom dump? is that a custom game directory out of a Duke64 rom file or?
Just throw the ROM file in the same directory as RedNukem.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Just throw the ROM file in the same directory as RedNukem.

Nope, doesn't work at all (it's a working Duke64 rom in the same folder) and I tried with duke3d.grp and it just launches Duke3D. I'm sure I'm missing something stupid but it's not just pasting the rom in the Rednukem folder because the last version (r11875) just doesn't detect the rom at all.

Nevermind, renaming the rom from .v64 to .n64 fixed it :ughh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Nope, doesn't work at all (it's a working Duke64 rom in the same folder) and I tried with duke3d.grp and it just launches Duke3D. I'm sure I'm missing something stupid but it's not just pasting the rom in the Rednukem folder because the last version (r11875) just doesn't detect the rom at all.

Nevermind, renaming the rom from .v64 to .n64 fixed it :ughh:
The file I used was called "Duke Nukem 64 (U) [!].z64" and it was detected fine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All N64 roms I have are .z64 and .n64 but I had two duke64 roms, [U] one being .v64 for some reason and the european one was .n64. Anyways, renaming it did the trick the only thing, I'm missing the music while playing, grabbag on main menu works but, is that one of the compromises of the cartridge? I played Holywood holocaust and had some differences in the layout like the bathroom that leads to the projector and the arcade room.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what's so special about the N64 version of Duke 3D?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

So what's so special about the N64 version of Duke 3D?
The arsenal is very different with a blend of new weapons (Grenade Launchers, Plasma Cannons, SMGs Akimbo) and old ones with alternate ammo types (Explosive Shotgun, anyone?) The levels were all remixed/rebuilt to add additional detail and gracefully work around Nintendo's content restrictions at the time (For example, there's now a burger place near the start of E1L2, with the bar and strip club getting converted into its back kitchen and loading area respectively.) In addition, you can now rescue the various women trapped in alien goo, adding an extra stat to track when going for 100% on levels. (Some of them are pretty well hidden!) Finally, a lot of the art was redrawn and there's various new visual effects to take advantage of the N64. It's a pretty cool alternate version of the game that's worth a play!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The arsenal is very different with a blend of new weapons (Grenade Launchers, Plasma Cannons, SMGs Akimbo) and old ones with alternate ammo types (Explosive Shotgun, anyone?) The levels were all remixed/rebuilt to add additional detail and gracefully work around Nintendo's content restrictions at the time (For example, there's now a burger place near the start of E1L2, with the bar and strip club getting converted into its back kitchen and loading area respectively.) In addition, you can now rescue the various women trapped in alien goo, adding an extra stat to track when going for 100% on levels. (Some of them are pretty well hidden!) Finally, a lot of the art was redrawn and there's various new visual effects to take advantage of the N64. It's a pretty cool alternate version of the game that's worth a play!

My memory is super foggy, but is THAT the same shotgun that you put into Reelism?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

I'm missing the music while playing, grabbag on main menu works but, is that one of the compromises of the cartridge?

Yeah. But since on PC we don't have cartridge limits, you can get the PC music back if you want:

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/11273-release-duke-nukem-64-pc-port/

quote:

Optionally you can add MIDI tracks from DUKE3D.grp or music folder from Megaton Edition and put into same directory.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My memory is super foggy, but is THAT the same shotgun that you put into Reelism?

Not the only Duke 64 weapon in Reelism. Take a look at the grenade launcher for example.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Not the only Duke 64 weapon in Reelism. Take a look at the grenade launcher for example.

Very nice.

I played a poo poo ton of Reelism last night, mostly boss rush. Is the invincible minotaur/pinky demon still in it? Didn't see it during boss rush but I assume that he just wasn't included in that mode, on account of it being invincible.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
pretty good recap/review/whatever on Outlaws by Scarfulhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0T6RJAx-f8

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Kins posted:

Duke 64 censorship also has this pretty extreme way of covering up some side boob

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
at the risk of a bunch of whinging babies screaming until i shut up, i've been saying for a while that Nintendo's fandom is so bad primarily because NoA has actively cultivated an audience of extreme right-wingers and fundamentalist Christians through their pseudo-"family friendly" image through the N64/GC/Wii era, and...

I mean, compare what they didn't allow out of the original Duke, with what they absolutely did allow in the replaced content (and what they didn't bother touching). they had certain priorities, to say the least, and Duke 64 is probably where those priorities show up the absolute most blatantly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think that's the majority of the Nintendo fandom at all, as someone who isn't even involved in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Karasu Tengu posted:

I don't think that's the majority of the Nintendo fandom at all, as someone who isn't even involved in it.

the two halves of this sentence are directly related

e: this is, of course, not to say that all nintendo fans are chuds. clearly that's loving not the case, everyone loves Animal Crossing and Mario and poo poo. but NoA has actively sought out chuds and fundies as a customer base since the early goddamn 90s, this is honestly pretty well-documented (remember Night Trap?), and i'm pretty sure the fact that a large majority of weird internet Nazis are also hardcore Nintendo fans is just them reaping what they sowed with poo poo like this.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 6, 2020

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HolyKrap posted:

Duke 64 censorship also has this pretty extreme way of covering up some side boob

:stare:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Allow me to the be the first to say what the gently caress are you talking about?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the two halves of this sentence are directly related

e: this is, of course, not to say that all nintendo fans are chuds. clearly that's loving not the case, everyone loves Animal Crossing and Mario and poo poo. but NoA has actively sought out chuds and fundies as a customer base since the early goddamn 90s, this is honestly pretty well-documented (remember Night Trap?), and i'm pretty sure the fact that a large majority of weird internet Nazis are also hardcore Nintendo fans is just them reaping what they sowed with poo poo like this.

I don't think trying to make things palatable to the American market, who just finished suing toy companies and rock bands as a large culture, made Nintendo actively seek out right wing crazy people as opposed to trying to be as unimpeachable as possible. This is also ignoring the many times that Nintendo got on the bad side of the parent block, like Pokemon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, this is the first time I've ever seen someone arguing that Nintendo fandom is somehow worse than... well, almost any other corner of gaming. That'd be like somehow using the recent revelations about rampant sexual assault in the Smash community as a cudgel against Nintendo. Ignoring, of course, that nearly any sort of community like that is rife with the same issues.

Also ignores the fact that Nintendo has let near anyone release games for the Switch, from kickin' rad shooters like wolfenstein and doom 2016 to iphone-esque shovelware.

I'm defensive here, but Splatoon also takes literally every strength of online shooters and distills them down into a lovely cocktail, and removes most of the frustrations.

Heck, I might just go and play the Duke 3d port now on the console. The new episode is pretty drat good, all said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

at the risk of a bunch of whinging babies screaming until i shut up, i've been saying for a while that Nintendo's fandom is so bad primarily because NoA has actively cultivated an audience of extreme right-wingers and fundamentalist Christians through their pseudo-"family friendly" image through the N64/GC/Wii era, and...

I mean, compare what they didn't allow out of the original Duke, with what they absolutely did allow in the replaced content (and what they didn't bother touching). they had certain priorities, to say the least, and Duke 64 is probably where those priorities show up the absolute most blatantly.
this doesnt make any sense though.

1) its neolibs who love censorship, not modern rightwingers
2) as far as modern censorship goes sony is more tight about it than nintendo
3) duke nukem, noted thing rightwingers dont like

weird internet nazis like nintendo because as a foreign company they see them as 'less political' and because most internet nazis are mid-20s-early 30s, aka they grew up in nintendo's golden era.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wouldn’t say Nintendo courts a right wing audience but the specifically avoid addressing any controversy e.g. their nothing response over no same sex relationships in Tomodatchi or pre-New Horizon not having skin color selections. Is this better or worse than the hollow platitudes of Ubisoft saying “we’re not political” idk but historically Nintendo controls their image to the point where they refused to allow a tell-all book on Earthbound’s development to be made, a game with the friendliest and most active underground fan base I’ve seen.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Endorph posted:

1) its neolibs who love censorship, not modern rightwingers

Big ole citation needed on that one. Go to any online nazi hang out and they will delete what your say if you’re against their beliefs and attempt to dox you.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I think it's more that Nintendo wants that family friendly reputation, which can be interpreted as an implicit endorsement of those 'traditional values' that chuds hinge their identities off of. Instead it's just because they want to sell to as many parents as possible with the understanding that the game won't be idealogically challenging in any way, thanks for the cash, because they're still a capitalist venture at the end of the day. I'm sure the pressure of being owned by a mother company from socially conservative Japan was also part of the equation.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

John Murdoch posted:

Allow me to the be the first to say what the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

but NoA has actively sought out chuds and fundies as a customer base since the early goddamn 90s,
If you're referring to the censorship of religion and religious symbols, it was more to avoid any controversy that might've been drummed up by the religious. Nintendo's secular appearance wasn't intended to appeal to the fundamentalists though, and largely I don't think it did.