Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

withak posted:

The data actually shows that COVID spreads less on weekends, they should be open today and closed Saturday/Sunday.

Counterpoint: Orange County should be closed permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Counterpoint: Orange County should be closed permanently.

Well yeah, but baby steps.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I would really like to know if anywhere is directly appropriating the police budget for smaller public school class sizes.

Speaking of which
https://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/campbell-police-chief-defends-planned-bearcat-purchase/

I thought the Federal gov't was handing out bearcats, and the main cost was that they're insanely expensive to upkeep?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

With how many of our neighbors are setting off fireworks in our dry shrubby area, I'm legit impressed the state hasn't burned down yet tonight

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

California too. Apparently California gave no shits this year though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DIad2tuVtg

Or I mean, here, traffic cameras
Oakland has a feed that goes on for 1 hour 20 minutes with fireworks constantly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50P_Q_loLdM

or Sacramento, same thing, 2 hours of fireworks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQSPjogitx0

Just put your mouse cursor through the progress bar and look at the preview thumb nails and there's fireworks all the way across.

Most of the firework shows in the state were cancelled afaik. I wouldn't be surprised if most of those fireworks found their way onto craigslist or something.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Word on the street was that if you went out to Pahrump, NV any time in the last two months people were lined up outside the fireworks stores and shopping by the pallet. Now I see they weren't exaggerating.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Last night I just wanted to scream at the neighbor two blocks behind us. For the previous MONTH, he's been lighting m80s and m100s, and I'm just loving done with fireworks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1279817257728667653

https://twitter.com/BrianUdovich/status/1279798296207167488

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/mach_dent/status/1279676293148221441

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That seems brutal holy poo poo. I feel very fortunate I'm living in a relatively rural area on the coast rn where the fireworks didn't pop off last night.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wow I was kind of skeptical that all that air pollution could come from fireworks but now I'm surprised there's any air left to breathe. That's way worse than the south bay area plus you have the smog-trapping geography.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wow I was kind of skeptical that all that air pollution could come from fireworks but now I'm surprised there's any air left to breathe. That's way worse than the south bay area plus you have the smog-trapping geography.

I'm in South SJ and our air quality is 39 lol

I was actually pretty surprised at how restrained last night was. It popped off pretty hard between ~8-11, but after that I hear nary but the occasional crack. By midnight people were mostly done.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

time 2 die

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's past noon on the fifth and the ocean breeze still hasn't completely dispersed the gunpowder smell from SF's Outer Sunset.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'm wondering if they at least put on a show for the cities to watch from their windows if this would have happened anyway or not. I'm out in the country so it was a little louder than previous years but not all that bad. Saw a variety of illegal firewroks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I thought we were going to have a quiet night in Hayward since all the fireworks seemed to be concentrated to 1-2 areas in the evening. Nope, they just didn't start in earnest until 2-3AM. :negative:

How the gently caress does my 4-mo-old sleep through fireworks but not me clearing my throat? :iiam:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm wondering if they at least put on a show for the cities to watch from their windows if this would have happened anyway or not. I'm out in the country so it was a little louder than previous years but not all that bad. Saw a variety of illegal firewroks.

Yeah while it does not excuse the general idiocy at all, we're learning in this pandemic that just because the government tells the population at large they absolutely have to do something inconvenient for their own benefit doesn't mean people are actually going to listen. "You have to stay home + all fireworks shows canceled + oh and personal fireworks are banned too" was absolutely a recipe for a bunch of people independently deciding "well gently caress you I'm gonna enjoy my fourth even if I have to smuggle some fireworks in" and causing yesterday's clusterfuck.

A couple official fireworks shows people could watch from their roofs or street corners + closing parks/beaches/etc where people might congregate to watch them would probably have worked a lot better.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

judging from spending last 4th in LA, people absolutely would still do this

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
The real tragedy is that these firework shows were allowed to happen without mentioning all the wonderful Brands that provide for civil society

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, the real reason that there were illegal fireworks going off everywhere is that there was a huge glut in firework supply because everything has been cancelled. The A's aren't doing their Friday fireworks if there's no games, Disneyland etc. aren't doing their regular small displays, and of course cities everywhere cancelled their regular shows. Fireworks can't really be saved and stored for next year (it's hideously dangerous to let them just sit around and get old), and there aren't any best practices for fireworks disposal. I'm sure distributors and factories have counted on a pretty stable demand for fireworks year-to-year, and when official demand tanked this year they had to move their product somehow.

I've heard that there were places selling mortars at buy 1 get 3 free. Plus, people are in an insurrectionary mood, and are also just cooped up and stir crazy. I'm not sure there was anything that could have been done to stop the warzones from breaking out this year.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ratbert90 posted:

Last night I just wanted to scream at the neighbor two blocks behind us. For the previous MONTH, he's been lighting m80s and m100s, and I'm just loving done with fireworks.

it’s been non stop fireworks for at least two months where i live. some dude was setting off loving bombs at 4am a couple of nights ago. my neighbors are always celebrating something so are usually okay with noise late into the night, but even they started to walk around trying to find the perpetrator because ITS FOUR IN THE MORNING

of course no one called the cops though because obviously

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our local facebook pages were blowing up with Karens trying to pinpoint all the illegal fireworks, and a 911 dispatcher replied and said "yeah stop calling us to report them, we have bigger fish to fry and are already stretched thin."

That said, they were fun to watch and I even had babies sleeping by 9pm that didn't budge.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Our local facebook pages were blowing up with Karens trying to pinpoint all the illegal fireworks, and a 911 dispatcher replied and said "yeah stop calling us to report them, we have bigger fish to fry and are already stretched thin."

That said, they were fun to watch and I even had babies sleeping by 9pm that didn't budge.

Them’s good babies. You’re a lucky goon.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sydin posted:

I was actually pretty surprised at how restrained last night was. It popped off pretty hard between ~8-11, but after that I hear nary but the occasional crack. By midnight people were mostly done.

It was similar in Oakland around Lake Merritt; from 8-12 there were a ton of fireworks set off and then it calmed down. I'm surprised there was no news about people getting their hands blown off or smacked with falling shells. Given it was probably a bunch of untrained people basically launching explosives, things actually went pretty well.

Anarchy in action!

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Remember the super-racist facebook group with the SJPD officers came to light about a week and a half ago?

The SJ police union president just apologized...

https://twitter.com/sanjoseinside/status/1280615791608516608?s=20

not to the public, of course.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mitsuo posted:

Remember the super-racist facebook group with the SJPD officers came to light about a week and a half ago?

The SJ police union president just apologized...

https://twitter.com/sanjoseinside/status/1280615791608516608?s=20

not to the public, of course.

As nutty as alt newpapers can be, SJI has really hit it's stride the last few months. Probably helps that the Mercury News is terminally lib yellow journalism

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
all I know is back in the late 80's we'd set off a few M-80+'s at a party on the 4th and there were cops at the door in 10 minutes.

also, these "mortar" things or anything flying up in the air prob should be cancelled for private use.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah all of those fireworks are illegal for private use in CA, but people smuggle them in every year from Nevada and Oregon. This year there was just a much higher supply and therefore lower prices.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Haha, we just hit 12k infected today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My wife is a teacher and has asthma and high blood pressure. Thanks to all the "send the kids back to school" people. You're going to get her killed.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

As nutty as alt newpapers can be, SJI has really hit it's stride the last few months. Probably helps that the Mercury News is terminally lib yellow journalism

Yeah both San Jose Inside and SJ Spotlight seem pretty decent.

Fun story about the latter - SJ Spotlight was started by a Mercury News journalist who covered the city council beat, and when she was about to publish a story about Mayor Liccardo and Carl Guardino (CEO of the Silicon Valley Leadership Group), they quashed the story and she got laid off. She and her (labor-connected Dem) husband went off to Vegas for a while, and she eventually came back with experience on non-profit newspapers that she used to start SJ Spotlight. So if you look at their donors, a lot come from her media contacts (Knight Foundation, etc) and his labor contacts (union locals).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kenning posted:

Yeah all of those fireworks are illegal for private use in CA, but people smuggle them in every year from Nevada and Oregon. This year there was just a much higher supply and therefore lower prices.

They're not legal in Oregon either :ssh:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah, that's fair. My neighbors growing up said they got them from their family in Oregon, but maybe the supply chain was longer than that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Forceholy posted:

Haha, we just hit 12k infected today.

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1281030720937512963

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

My wife is a teacher and has asthma and high blood pressure. Thanks to all the "send the kids back to school" people. You're going to get her killed.
There's a good chance the union will keep the "high risk" exemptions active so she can work from home/medical leave if this state is dumb enough to go back to work.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Complaining on the forums changes things. Just got word last night they're not re-opening the school.

The people that do are going to be horrified at what happens, btw. The case count is going to skyrocket, and the kids are going to end up home anyway when all the teachers are legit out sick or burning their accumulated sick leave to avoid coming in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

California officials are closely monitoring the Something Awful forums California politics thread to determine the best time to reopen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

California officials are closely monitoring the Something Awful forums California politics thread to determine the best time to reopen.

Most state personnel are probably furloughed, laid off, or pressed into processing unemployment applications. How are else are they gonna get information???

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gavin, I know you're listening, so let me take this moment to just say you're never going to be president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

Gavin, I know you're listening, so let me take this moment to just say you're never going to be president.

Gavbot predicts an 87.2% probability that you are wrong based on current simulations