Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
A new day, a new Unicorn variant, and I don't think this thing can feasibly even walk under any amount of gravity with all this poo poo bolted on.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/07/robot-damashii-side-ms-unicorn-gundam.html?m=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MechaX posted:

A new day, a new Unicorn variant, and I don't think this thing can feasibly even walk under any amount of gravity with all this poo poo bolted on.

https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2020/07/robot-damashii-side-ms-unicorn-gundam.html?m=0

The gunpla thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Not a model kit actually, that's from the Robot Damashii action figure line

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder how Char would fare in the era of constant social media presence.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder how Char would fare in the era of constant social media presence.

Instead of a mask he'd have an alt.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Perhaps he'd even use NordVPN so those blasted Zabi's couldn't track his IP address.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

*The Gaw is on fire, everything is out of control, Garma desperately wrestles with the controls*

*PING: A message has arrived on your phone!*

"lol garma fuk u" *picture of a butt.*

Garma frantically tries to send a return message informing Char of how much he sucks but dies before he can send because autocorrect kept screwing him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MechaX posted:

Sounds like someone's soul is still bound by gravity.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

MechaX posted:

Why would anyone put gattling guns on top of a beam javelin? Must be a newtype thing I'll never understand.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How far could the Gundam Alex get in the gryps conflict? Seems more agile and faster than the mass production suits especially if you go about the mk.ii. route of stripping it of superfluous armor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

How far could the Gundam Alex get in the gryps conflict? Seems more agile and faster than the mass production suits especially if you go about the mk.ii. route of stripping it of superfluous armor.

Well, the GM 2 was about on par with the baseline RX-78 (no magnetic coating) so the Alex would be capable of keeping up with the standard line suits.

Give it to Amuro, and it's killing everything. Even Tomino couldn't kill him off with anything short of a meteor crashing into the Earth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
amuro could probably make the infamous jetpack and bikini work.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Please don't plagiarize my fanfiction

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you're not allowed to write that until you watch victory!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine all the Alex really needs to keep up is maybe change the backpack to a more modern one with more powerful thrusters and maybe give it a more powerful beam rifle too

The GP series suits are probably capable of keeping up with Zeta era suits with little to no changes though

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Wouldn't that depend on how important the movable frame tech was/what it did?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm watching unicorn gundam now and i liked the first episode but i dont like that the argama is now using the siren noise from muv luv

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

why dont any of the pilots in gundam wing know the other space terrorists involved in OPERATION M

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramadu posted:

why dont any of the pilots in gundam wing know the other space terrorists involved in OPERATION M

The Doctors who made the Gundams hosed up the entire plan because they didn't want their giant war robots to be used as tools of mass murder.

Edit: That's also discounting the fact that a minimum of two out of the five Gundam pilots are not the original intended pilots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Because every Gundam scientist independently decided to betray the original plan for Operation Meteor, and they had no way to be sure that anyone else would be on their side. Best not to let anyone else know about your agent so they can still have the element of surprise.

Also, you know. Everyone in Wing is insane.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
HOWEVER,

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

chiasaur11 posted:

Ok I don't know about the rest because I guess I met doctor j who is like yeah heero guy is the greatest soldier and idk about the rest of the doctors btlut everyone being insane makes a ton of sense

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

In addition to the other reasons (namely Wing is insane), the Alliance and OZ were deliberately restricting communication and travel between the colonies. The pilots and scientists had no real way to collaborate.

chiasaur11 posted:

Because every Gundam scientist independently decided to betray the original plan for Operation Meteor, and they had no way to be sure that anyone else would be on their side. Best not to let anyone else know about your agent so they can still have the element of surprise.

I think "Betray Dekim/Quinze" was in the cards from the getgo, but I can't substantiate this because I don't know if they actually had communication after developing the Tallgeese and splitting with Howard.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Endless Waltz explains a lot of backstory. I really wish they would remake Wing but using Glory of the Losers material

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Given Wing's enduring popularity I think its crazy that we haven't seen OVAs/movies for Frozen Teardrop and/or an adjusted OVA/movie trilogy based on Glory of the Losers. It seems like that would be an instant $$$ hotbed for Sunrise and Bandai.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe that's what the live action Gundam movie will be.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159193/characters/nm0132655

Even imdb knows to nail the words justice and peace in the narration. Campbell Lane, man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Given Wing's enduring popularity I think its crazy that we haven't seen OVAs/movies for Frozen Teardrop and/or an adjusted OVA/movie trilogy based on Glory of the Losers. It seems like that would be an instant $$$ hotbed for Sunrise and Bandai.

They won’t until North America loves the UC as much as Japan. Only then will we get remakes of AU series.

Probably starting with Seed. And then X.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/lowpolyrobot/status/1280950441371668481?s=21

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's only been since IBO that the US has even been a big secondary market again for Gunpla. Meanwhile, in Japan, it's much less popular than SEED or 00, let alone the UC. It's not unpopular, but it's not a guaranteed money maker.

With the Wing Zero being the big MG this year and the expansion of P-Bandai, it seems the US audience is getting more attention, but OVAs are expensive, and it would mostly be reselling stuff that already would sell without an OVA.

Also, Frozen Teardrop is just... something else. Bad else.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe sunrise should run the 0079 movies at a bunch of drive thrus

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Maybe that's what the live action Gundam movie will be.

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed in one of the press releases that it'll be based on 0079. Which isn't really a shock, since it has the most designs and fluff to market in various ways. That aside, someone mentioned the "More About the Universal Century" shorts in the last few days, and I went to watch it again because I barely recall it after seeing it a few years back on YouTube, but the opening cards gives them a subheading, like "Construction of the Colonies (The Beginning of the Universal Century)", which makes it sound like there could be more of these shorts. Are they included as extras on any of the home media or something? I vaguely recall hearing that set at least is on the 08th MS Team DVDs, but I don't know if it's in blurays (doesn't appear to be listed in the one page I checked for extras) and there could be more on other ones for all I know.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 8, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure they've confirmed in one of the press releases that it'll be based on 0079. Which isn't really a shock, since it has the most designs and fluff to market in various ways. That aside, someone mentioned the "More About the Universal Century" short in the last few days, and I went to watch it again because I barely recall it after seeing it a few years back on YouTube, but the opening card gives it a subheading "Construction of the Colonies (The Beginning of the Universal Century)", which makes it sound like there's more of these shorts somewhere or other. Are they included as extras on any of the home media or something? I vaguely recall hearing that one at least is on the 08th MS Team DVDs, but I don't know if it's in blurays (doesn't appear to be listed in the one page I checked for extras) and there could be more on other ones for all I know.

If you watched a 17 minute compilation, then that was all of it. Whoever uploaded it just cut the intros for the other parts.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

frozen teardrop is really bad

i realize this has not stopped them before, but it's the only explanation i can think of

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Ok I don't know about the rest because I guess I met doctor j who is like yeah heero guy is the greatest soldier and idk about the rest of the doctors btlut everyone being insane makes a ton of sense

it's one of those shows that makes more sense if you imagine everyone in it is taking the piss

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Yinlock posted:

frozen teardrop is really bad

i realize this has not stopped them before, but it's the only explanation i can think of

It sounds super bad in any synopsis description I've read, but yeah things being bad has rarely stopped Gundam before. I've also gotta believe bad or not the US market would eat it up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It confirmed Heero x Relena I hear so it's not all bad.

Also if they did make Frozen Teardrop into an OVA, I want the OG voices back for the dub and I don't see that happening. They don't use Ocean anymore for Gundam dubs, right?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 9, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For some reason, I dimly recall there being a lot of horror stories about how the creator/writer of Wing was a gigantic pain in the rear end to work with.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kanos posted:

For some reason, I dimly recall there being a lot of horror stories about how the creator/writer of Wing was a gigantic pain in the rear end to work with.

The director, Masashi Ikeda. Who was... enthusiastic, to say the least.
https://www.player.one/gundam-wing-otakon-writer-producer-panel-anime-119096

https://www.player.one/gundam-wing-otakon-writer-producer-panel-anime-119096 posted:

While they managed to do it, Tomioka noted, “Part of the problem was that Director Ikeda was very enthusiastic. He kept writing more and more episodes. But because he kept taking so much time writing the script, I was like, ‘Wait! We have to go into production now! We don’t have any time left!’ So I had to put on my producer hat and switch him out with other directors.”

Production was so challenging, Tomioka aired his concerns to Sunrise execs. “It was such hell,” said Tomioka, that he told the CEO, “‘Please, just fire me’...I really thought I was going to die.” However, Tomioka wasn’t going to get away from it that easily.

“It’s a piece of cake to fire a director, but there’s no precedent for firing a producer, so you have to stick it out, man,” responded the CEO. It comes perhaps as no surprise that Tomioka’s happiest moment during production was the feeling of overwhelming relief once it was over.
As far as challenges and painful experiences, Sumisawa recalled episode 10, the infamous episode where Heero self-destructs his Gundam. This unforgettable moment was not part of Sumisawa’s original story arc.

“In fact, I had submitted the script for that episode, and it came back for revisions and corrections, and it said, ‘Gundam self-destructs.’ I went to the director and said, ‘Um, excuse me, you wrote in “Gundam self-destructs.”’ And he’s like, ‘Yeah yeah yeah, don’t worry, I’ll do the storyboards and we’ll blow it up to smithereens!’”
He got replaced in the last half of the show (27-49) by Shinji Takamatsu, leading to double clip shows during the changeover.

Also, from that same panel:

quote:

Sumisawa’s fondest memory of production was screening episode 1 in front of the executives, sponsors and other bigwigs. At first, the Sunrise execs were not especially impressed since Sunrise is known for producing a lot of mecha anime so battle scenes were no big deal.

“But then it switches to the academy scene,” said Sumisawa. “They were like, ‘What? What’s going on?’ They’re all fidgeting. Of course, there’s that last line — ‘ I’m going to kill you’ — and they’re like ‘Wait, what? What just happened?’ I so wanted to laugh, but of course, with all these bigwigs around, I had to keep a straight face and that was really hard.”
Ran across that article a while back at random while searching online and went "Oh, that explains Wing."

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The latest episode of re rise dropped and boy was not expecting that eve would be the one asking hiroto to essentially murder her.