Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zillions magazine posted:

I will literally paypal someone to plvl me in HC

I'm so bored and want something to play but I can't stand leveling in this game
Lol, I'd do it but I lack PMs and am absolutely not giving Lowtax more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Tubgoat posted:

Lol, I'd do it but I lack PMs and am absolutely not giving Lowtax more money.

stoneforge#1890 is my btag :) i'll be back in a couple hours tho

(im also still in the GBS hardcore clan apparently)

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You can just join a public community for HC power levelling.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Easiest free set this season? Preferably one or two buttons? I'm hesitant about necro because they've always seemed hard, how long into GRs can you get away with that corpse explosion build?

e: picked necro and corpse explosion is pretty fun for leveling, at a minimum

Easiest start by far is DH. Impale build is trivial to get going. Dunno if this applies to hardcore though, which I will never play again.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Diephoon posted:

You can just join a public community for HC power levelling.

Wait there are groups of pubbies that will plvl me?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah just go into the communities tab, search for "HC" and join the most populated one then ask for a power level or wait until someone is offering them.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
So I somehow had it in my head that the charity GR70 primal drop was at least equippable by the class it dropped for but nope, Raekor's pants for my WD. This feels personal.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That's just D3, the game doesn't care enough about you to make it personal. Hence the pants.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I'd also have to get a seasonal HC to 70 myself first.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
HC trip report, died early, died often. First time level 3 in a poor attempt to get the cube, then later in a grift.

Season gimmick is bad, I'm glad I'm dead :shrug: I would have liked to try out the new WD set though as I didn't get a chance last season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Tubgoat posted:

I'd also have to get a seasonal HC to 70 myself first.

It’s really not that bad, but if you’ve never played HC before it’ll seem weird to actually care and try not to die. Basically never put it above Hard unless you are 100% positive you have mastered Diablo, but once you hit your free 2-pc you can crank it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, I think I've RIPd a couple of characters in each of the last two seasons.
Usually the first one will be a connection error (like someone at home resetting the router because they think the internet isn't working), and then the second one will be because I was pushing it to try to catch up to where I was before.

My levelling usually goes: Hard initially; possibly boosting to Master if I get very lucky with drops, droppingt back to Hard at some point in the late-30s if the drops don't keep coming.
Get the level 70 weapon with -Level Req, throw in whatever Ruby I can craft, put it up to Master, then drop it back to Hard once I hit 61. Then just plow through to 70 on Hard.

Once I'm at 70, it's usually a careful progression through the Torments. Only once I've done a couple of Rifts without really being at risk of dying will I push it up to the next Torment (unless I get a massive gear upgrade).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first RIP at max level is the hardest, but the first FULLY GEARED high end RIP knocks the wind out of your sails. You might even uninstall!

But then you reinstall because every other ARPG is just kinda not as good or fun or explodey.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's much easier to begin powerleveling a fresh character on higher difficulties with a mouse and keyboard, the precise movements and not getting hosed over by pathing is essential.

One of my favorite things to do is Cube up a Sebor's Nightmare, set the difficulty to Torment 3 and reach level 20 minutes after starting a rift.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HC ain't for everybody. Me included.

Started yesterday with a plvl and was doing speed 80s about 5 hours later. This game is silly and I love it. My goal this season is to get into some 4 player metas and get above p1000. I've never bothered going past about gr90 and usually peter out around p6-800 each season. Love that the DH has so many roles it can play this season.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I didn't notice them at all playing on switch for a couple hours. Didn't even think about it, haha.
They're really noticeable on PC because they make a loud obnoxious noise that breaks your sound if you have it set to 8 or 16 channels. At 32 it's still a bit messed up but not as badly.

It also makes the screen so dark you can't see in some areas like the a2 cursed chest map.

This season's theme is the worst one yet I'm pretty sure. It's very unclear how it works and it doesn't seem to do much except be annoying.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 5, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I forgot how much you needed to get channeling meteor firebirds going so I was surprised to get the 6 piece from the journey and go “oh wow I’m loving worthless right now!”

Got the boots but still need the staff, sword, and orb to really get going.

Then I get to do all of this again on the Switch :getin:

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
Next time you go kill malthael wait and see how the season buff looks in pandemonium fortress 3 right before the boss fight. :stonk:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Today I learned Essence doesn't regenerate. Helpful.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
What’s the most fun to play in your opinion? Last season I rolled around as necro, DH, and crusader and I think DH was my favorite (but it has been for years so that’s no surprise).

I’m just trying to figure out what to start with first.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Monk starter is good but needs a lot of stuff to get rolling. Barbs starter is fun too, leap quake rules.

Everybody is playing DH this season. Me included since it's also my fave. :v:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I try a new class every season but keep going back to DH. This season I just started with DH since the new set looks fun as hell.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Y'know, locking the new necro set behind a necklace is kinda a dick move. It's just, like, literally non-functional without it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
For those of us who don't plan to ever complete any necro set, let alone this one, what is it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Masquerade_of_Burning_Carnival

simulacrum lasts 15 seconds and has a 120 second cooldown

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

SHISHKABOB posted:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Masquerade_of_Burning_Carnival

simulacrum lasts 15 seconds and has a 120 second cooldown

HOLY BALLS that is a set. Is each 6-piece class set this nuts? Arachyr mostly just disappointed me and pissed me off and Natalya's Whatever felt powerful for Torment 5 but was impossible to finish the set dungeon and didn't do nearly enough beyond Torment 5.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

HOLY BALLS that is a set. Is each 6-piece class set this nuts? Arachyr mostly just disappointed me and pissed me off and Natalya's Whatever felt powerful for Torment 5 but was impossible to finish the set dungeon and didn't do nearly enough beyond Torment 5.
You'll be amused to hear that it's actually pretty mediocre.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

bio347 posted:

You'll be amused to hear that it's actually pretty mediocre.
meanwhile the new DH set is absolutely bonkers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I looked through my characters and I make a ton of Barbs (usually Whirlwind) apparently.

I'm happy we have a Strafe-based set, especially since I went Natalya's Strafe last season (and it did horribly, barely beating 75).

Less happy that, like the Whirlwind set, the Strafe is just a means to trigger the actual damaging skill.

Still gonna make it though.

I guess I'm very partial to Spin to Win.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

minya posted:

Honestly, I think D3 controls way better with a
controller than it ever did with kB/mouse. After you get used to playing it with a controller I bet you’ll agree.
Yeah, Diablo is the kinda game I would have thought would necessarily be better with PC controls but that just ain't true. For moving + aiming on a 2D plane, individual stickpads just make sense.

Of course playing on the switch lite has the problem of not being able to see poo poo because pixels:

The RNG gods have decided that I will only be getting bovine bardiches and puzzle ring legendaries so I guess I am just helping people get the hoarder gem for this season. And cows?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's the ~optimal~ playstyle for the new DH set? I thought that I would be proccing both primary and spending stuff just from using strafe but noticed that it doesn't. Do you just stop every few seconds to fire off some arrows before going back to zoomies?

Also after being stingy for god knows how many shards I finally got a hunter's wrath from Kadala, and then immediately after another one dropped. One had 70 more dex but like 20% less bonus damage, I assume the dex increase is not worth the loss of bonus damage?

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 6, 2020

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

IcePhoenix posted:

What's the ~optimal~ playstyle for the new DH set? I thought that I would be proccing both primary and spending stuff just from using strafe but noticed that it doesn't. Do you just stop every few seconds to fire off some arrows before going back to zoomies?

More or less you just keep spinning, but you fire a primary every few seconds to maintain momentum after building a bunch at the start. Or at least that's what I've been doing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It's been a year or so since I played last, so I figured I would level a barb in this season because it is the only class I have not done it yet on.

Holy poo poo was that painful. It felt like I was tickling the mobs. I was using the suggested rend build, had maxed out weapons and gear but I just could not do any damage.

Once I got the 6th piece of the set, it was like a while new game. I was/am murdering everything.

I am using the seismic slam build from icy-veins, and even with some of the rings and poo poo missing I feel like a killing machine. Leveling this barb was a weird experience.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 6, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
After reaching 70 and getting some set pieces I STILL felt like I was tickling mobs, never completed a set.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What level can I start gambling for the simalcrun necklace?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tubgoat posted:

After reaching 70 and getting some set pieces I STILL felt like I was tickling mobs, never completed a set.

That 6th piece (or 5th if you have the Royal Ring) really makes a gigantic difference.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't obvious at first but you need Valla's Bequest to keep up Momentum stacks, the extra pierce on Strafe greatly improves the proc rate.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tubgoat posted:

Every end-game build involves a 6 piece set bonus with the only exception being the end-end game build that specifically requires all Ancient gear and No set bonuses

The 6 piece set bonus is almost always something insane like "_____ does 10,000% more damage"

The game is based on picking a set and building out for that set!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

This isn't obvious at first but you need Valla's Bequest to keep up Momentum stacks, the extra pierce on Strafe greatly improves the proc rate.

wait, so the strafe pierce will also work on the hungering arrows? Does that matter when I have the cubed quiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

What level can I start gambling for the simalcrun necklace?
Kadala simulator says not until 70. Simulacrum is the "expansion spell" for the necro anyway, so 61 would've been the absolute earliest.

Trip report on the new necro set: It is so incredibly refreshing to be able to play the class without reliance on the big cooldowns and shenanigans thereof, without needing to numlock something, and without exploding the second a monster looks at you. Mediocre top end power or not, irritating amulet reliance or not, A+++ would recommend.